Slizers/Throwbots/Roboriders General Discussion

ColdGoldLazarus

I know there used to be one, but it appears to have been deleted by now, so I figured it couldn't hurt to create a new hub for discussion and fanworks.

• Upvote 1

The world gradually fell silent, the last few shots echoing into nothingness. There was little left now but ruins, and the eight. They witnessed the whimpering death of their world, and regretfully claimed dominion over all the sorry Remnants...

How much discussion and interest are you expecting for a line that had no story and ended over a decade ago?

You'd be surprised. These themes come up a lot in discussions of the evolution of constraction themes, since they started it all. There's plenty of room for comparing and contrasting them with BIONICLE, which seems to be what a lot of discussion of non-BIONICLE themes here on BZPower tends to focus on anyway.

Throwbots were cool back in the day, and had a lot of diversity. But the storyline (what little there was of one, anyway) was difficult to follow. I just made up my own stories derived from the clues I found in the sets or the Mania Magazines. The sets also weren't especially naturalistic and didn't have very expressive faces, so it was difficult to identify with them as characters. Also, as toys, they had some failings. The canisters came apart easily, the ability to put them on a belt loop seemed impractical to me even as a kid, and the "transformation" functions were not very dynamic — I regularly got frustrated with having to spin a worm gear just to get a character to tilt their head in a different direction. BIONICLE improved on Throwbots in most ways, although the diversity of the mid-size sets never really got up to the same level as the Throwbots until 2007.

Most of my Throwbots MOCs were vaguely humanoid. I slightly remember a Medium Blue and Bright Red one I named Rocket. That's most of what I can remember from playing and building with the Throwbots — trying to create new characters with new color schemes.

Roboriders had a clearer story, but not a really interesting ones. The foe, a virus, was not buildable (something that frustrated me in BIONICLE as well in the years to come, for instance, with the Morbuzakh). The characters really didn't have anything in the way of personalities, even as far as appearance was concerned. None of them were remotely humanoid or naturalistic, so it was next to impossible to relate to them as characters. Most of my time playing with Roboriders was spent trying to build the little dudes from the Roborider wheels, to no avail.

Overall, I think subsequent action figure themes have done a lot better at making characters I can identify with, stories I can care about, and toys that are fun to build and play with, even if that often means the characters have similar humanoid builds. This year's Hero Factory sets have found a really elegant way to get around the necessity of humanoid heroes by making the heroes minifigures and instead creating articulated vehicles for them to pilot, but I think there will always be a place for character-based rather than vehicle-based constraction models. And Throwbots definitely deserves some admiration for starting it all and proving the versatility of action-figure building.

• Upvote 5

I have two Throwbots, Torch and Scuba. They are quite bizarre-looking, but interesting. For some reason, Torch's head is on his crotch. Not only is this simply odd, but it heavily restricts his arm's range of motion. Scuba has backward, vaguely froglike legs, which works very well. The leg configuration also doesn't cause balancing issues, which was a pleasant surprise. Scuba's gear function is also less pointless on him, because there is a propeller on the back of his gear-turning axle, so it's like he's using it to swim. The tube is another nice unique touch to Scuba. The only way Torch is better than Scuba is the weapon. Torch has two System flames; Scuba has a System harpoon. Scuba's harpoon is laughably tiny and also tends to swing around the hand too much. Torch's flames stay nicely in place and also blend well with the red hand.

Both of them have similar pros and cons. Scuba's arms have more motion, but his harpoon arm still has trouble moving around the shoulder pad. The disk-throwing arm is a very interesting part, and the function in general was very nice. There are also some interesting part colors, like Scuba's blue Rahkshi arms. Their color schemes are also very elemental, which I like.

Also, I find the instances of BIONICLE's inclusion of Throwbots parts interesting as well. Here are the notable cases I can think of:

*The Kraatu from 2004 used four black Slizer arms. I believe this is the only time a non-canon promo set used parts new to BIONICLE. Krika included one four years later.

*In making Toa Krakua, John Dexter used dark gray Slizer hands.

*The fanmade Dark Hunter Eliminator has four disk-throwing arms on his back.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I recently came into possession of all of the sets from the Throwbot line (except for Granite, which I'll hopefully be procuring soon). I'm fascinated by them; they're not especially fantastic sets, but I love all of them to a degree and it's very interesting having the precursors to BIONICLE in my possession and comparing them to each other.

Turbo and Millenium FTW.

-Mesonak

• Upvote 2

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Looking back, I really wish I'd gotten at least one of these little dudes (the Slizers) back when I saw them on the shelves. These days, I can appreciate them for their engineering, overall funkiness and just the sheer innovation of them... well... BEING buildable action figures. I did at least get to see and handle them at a friend's house at some point or other, and they were pretty cool. There's just something timeless about them. They're so darn weird, but that just makes them memorable. I did get two Roboriders, and I still have a few pieces left over from them... but I didn't find them very compelling.

The Toa Mata were just a much more polished take on the Slizers, but the STORY and WORLD they had to go along with them is a big part of what made them catch on like they did. You wanted to explore this crazy world with them. That was their edge.

Some of my favorite Bionicle figures of all are the Toa Metru. The "Inika Build" used in the later half of Bionicle's lifespan is its own beast, but the Toa Metru are, in my eyes, the ultimate evolution of what I call "Slizer engineering". They were the most beautiful, streamlined "Slizers" we'd ever see, and the function worked really well. They were more poseable than anything that had come before, making a good compromise between posing and functions, possibly the best we'll ever see, and there was still an emphasis on the disks that year, yet another reminder of those funky lil' dudes that started it all.

• Upvote 3

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

How much discussion and interest are you expecting for a line that had no story and ended over a decade ago?

You'd be surprised. These themes come up a lot in discussions of the evolution of constraction themes, since they started it all. There's plenty of room for comparing and contrasting them with BIONICLE, which seems to be what a lot of discussion of non-BIONICLE themes here on BZPower tends to focus on anyway.

But that's the thing, Slizers are only discussed in the context of Bionicle (and Hero Factory to a much lesser extent). Like the relatives of a famous person, Slizers are known/remembered for what they were connected to, rather than anything innate.

Still, as others are doing so, I'll share my thoughts on them: they were reasonable as far as the first attempt at constraction sets goes, and vital in laying the groundwork for what was to come. But judged objectively by themselves, they had some major flaws. The System parts used as weapons were hopelessly out of scale, the gear functions that very slowly raised or lowered the heads of the bipedals were pointless, the non-bipedals looked pretty bizarre, and the visors and printed faces had little to no personality to them. The line's background information didn't make much sense either. How did a planet with eight distinct environments come to exist? What were the two sides fighting about? What made one good and the other evil?

Needless to say, Bionicle's first year corrected a lot of these problems.

• Upvote 1

Also, I find the instances of BIONICLE's inclusion of Throwbots parts interesting as well. Here are the notable cases I can think of:

*The Kraatu from 2004 used four black Slizer arms. I believe this is the only time a non-canon promo set used parts new to BIONICLE. Krika included one four years later.

The Slizer limbs used for the Kraatu's legs weren't new to BIONICLE, even in black. The Exo-Toa from 2002 had previously used the same part in black on its right arm.

Some of the BIONICLE uses of Slizer parts that I'd consider more noteworthy were the use of the "worm gear" torso (32166) in the BIONICLE Master Builder Set (in a new color, no less) and the use of the "sliding gear rack" torso ( 32167) in the Nui-Rama. These were the only times these parts or the related functions were used in BIONICLE. In fact, the Master Builder set was one of exactly two BIONICLE sets that used the worm gear, a classic Technic part, the other being a System-based playset. But the "worm gear" torso with its framework texture and angled contour lines seems to have heavily inspired the look of the Toa Mata torso.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

The Slizer limbs used for the Kraatu's legs weren't new to BIONICLE, even in black. The Exo-Toa from 2002 had previously used the same part in black on its right arm.

Ah, I never had the Exo-Toa. You learn something new every day.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Say what you will about how much things changed over the years, but I think it's impressive that we see the Slizer limb piece used so many times throughout Bionicle, and even in Hero Factory, long after it was outdated. It worked really well on the Visorak, but once the Inika came around, with their super long, slender limbs.... yeah... Still, it was interesting just seeing the piece used.

It's also impressive that Lego apparently struck gold when they created the socket piece. When figures like the Rahkshi came around, revolutionizing the art of their buildable figures, we saw them used a BUNCH, and they were used for a long time after that. It's kinda funny, looking at how big and bulbous such pieces look on a small figure like a Slizer, only to then see how utterly giant the Inika look when you keep the scale of the timeless socket pieces in mind. You don't even need to have the actual figures standing next to each other in real life to see the difference. Unfortunately, Lego kept fiddling around with something that, for all intents and purposes, already worked just fine, sometimes making it worse... although, with the Hero Factory 2.0 figures, it seems that they've finally perfected the piece.

• Upvote 2

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Throwbots were cool back in the day, and had a lot of diversity. But the storyline (what little there was of one, anyway) was difficult to follow. I just made up my own stories derived from the clues I found in the sets or the Mania Magazines.

The Toa Mata were just a much more polished take on the Slizers, but the STORY and WORLD they had to go along with them is a big part of what made them catch on like they did. You wanted to explore this crazy world with them. That was their edge.

The line's background information didn't make much sense either. How did a planet with eight distinct environments come to exist? What were the two sides fighting about? What made one good and the other evil?

Well, aside from the funky designs, this is actually one of the things I really like about the line. The basic setup is there, but leaves a lot of room for questions, and it's in trying to come up with good answers to those questions that I have had the most fun. ;) That being said, I agree that in objective terms, the lack of coherence was a huge issue.

But yeah, I won't deny that Bionicle had definitely corrected a lot of the theme's big flaws, just as the most recent themes seem to have learned lessons from Bionicle's own missteps.

The sets also weren't especially naturalistic and didn't have very expressive faces, so it was difficult to identify with them as characters.

Overall, I think subsequent action figure themes have done a lot better at making characters I can identify with, stories I can care about, and toys that are fun to build and play with, even if that often means the characters have similar humanoid builds.

This may just be me, but I didn't really have as much of a problem seeing them as characters and personalities as others have. Then again, I run into that with a lot of different things; not just legos, so it's most likely something different happening on my end. So once again, in terms of general appeal, I have to admit the line is rather less than ideal.

Edited by ColdGoldLazarus

The world gradually fell silent, the last few shots echoing into nothingness. There was little left now but ruins, and the eight. They witnessed the whimpering death of their world, and regretfully claimed dominion over all the sorry Remnants...

Are you a fellow fan of "Jet/Judge"?

In my case, sorta? But Electro/Energy Slizer was one of my favorites and tended to be the spunky, go-get-'em hero in my stories. Amazon, in contrast, was the sneaky anti-hero character who was most likely to betray the other Throwbots. Those are probably the only two Throwbots I really attached any kind of memorable personalities to. Maybe Scuba was a nature lover and Granite was a bit of a redneck? And Jet/Judge was a slightly bossy authority figure? I don't even remember for sure.

• 1 month later...

I recall the Throwbot limbs being used as far as Bitil and even Telleruis in the Skopio X-V1, but I don't recall them being used for the Inika.

Nah, no 2006 sets used them. But they were used even after Telluris — Von Nebula from the first year of Hero Factory used those for his shoulder suspension. Kinda crazy how long that piece lasted, outliving even such parts as the Toa Mata and Toa Nuva limbs.

I recall the Throwbot limbs being used as far as Bitil and even Telleruis in the Skopio X-V1, but I don't recall them being used for the Inika.

Nah, no 2006 sets used them. But they were used even after Telluris — Von Nebula from the first year of Hero Factory used those for his shoulder suspension. Kinda crazy how long that piece lasted, outliving even such parts as the Toa Mata and Toa Nuva limbs.

It seems like their legacy will never really die ^^ It doesn't seem like that special of a piece at first but I guess that L shape with a ball at each end is a really convenient piece with a lot of different functions, on figures both big and small. It does have a really cool design too, with the pistons and the sweeping curves.

There were also the early disks, which were a blessing 'cause they were like the coolest thing as Kanoka in '04, both with playing around and in the story.

I agree that although Slizer & Co. was a short lived line that wasn't thoroughly explored, it really was the granddaddy of Bionicle and has plenty to discuss long after its end :)

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

These had more in common with Hero Factory if you ask me. Bizarre names, lack of a good story, and weird primitive sets. (I actually like that about Throwbots)

What is bizarre about Slizer, Throwbot, Roborider, or Hero Factory names? If anything, they're a lot more normal than BIONICLE names. Instead of names borrowed from obscure languages or names made to sound strange and foreign (even alien), they are simple names derived from common English words and names, much like the majority of superhero and supervillain names.

Hero Factory has a small handful of really bizarre names, like Quadal or Thornraxx, but most hero and villain names are very normal superhero comic fare. Even more so with Throwbot, Slizer, and Roborider names which were simple English words without the slightest changes in spelling or pronunciation.

In Europe, each Slizer was simply named after the (usually environmental) subject it belonged to - Fire, Ice, Sub, City, Jungle, Rock, Energy and Judge. In America, the names were still derived from the concepts the Throwbots were connected to, but were a little more distinctive - Torch, Ski, Scuba, Turbo, Amazon, Granite, Electro and Jet.

There was only set of names for the second and last wave of sets.

Edited by Sir Kohran

In Europe, each Slizer was simply named after the (usually environmental) subject it belonged to - Fire, Ice, Sub, City, Jungle, Rock, Energy and Judge. In America, the names were still derived from the concepts the Throwbots were connected to, but were a little more distinctive - Torch, Ski, Scuba, Turbo, Amazon, Granite, Electro and Jet.

There was only set of names for the second and last wave of sets.

One clarification. In Europe, at least, there were three waves of four sets each. In America I think the first eight sets might have been released as a single wave. But I wasn't paying the utmost attention to release schedules at that point, so it's possible that Torch, Ski, Scuba, and Turbo DID come out before Amazon, Granite, Electro, and Jet and I simply didn't notice.

The simplicity of the European original names reminds me a bit of the preliminary names for the six Toa: Axe, Blade, Flame, Kick, Hook, and Claw. I'm grateful that the characters got more distinctive names than this by the time BIONICLE was actually released, but at the same time, I think the alien-sounding names of BIONICLE characters made the theme a bit intimidating to new fans, particularly in the later years when there were so many character names to learn.

I think more recent themes like Hero Factory, Ninjago, and Legends of Chima have done a better job striking a happy medium between "utterly bizarre" and "woefully mundane". William Furno's name is easy to remember and hard to confuse with any other character. Jawblade's name is incredibly descriptive, much like many supervillain code names like Magneto or Two-Face. Ninjago's heroes have names that are even simpler but still reasonably distinctive, and its villains have names like Samukai, Skales, and Pythor that are more stylized, but still evoke understandable meanings. The character names in Legends of Chima don't always have obvious meanings, but they follow easy-to-remember rules that make the theme's huge cast of characters a little bit less arduous to keep track of (as an example, all the lion tribe characters have names beginning with the letter L).

• Upvote 1

One clarification. In Europe, at least, there were three waves of four sets each. In America I think the first eight sets might have been released as a single wave. But I wasn't paying the utmost attention to release schedules at that point, so it's possible that Torch, Ski, Scuba, and Turbo DID come out before Amazon, Granite, Electro, and Jet and I simply didn't notice.

I'm certain the original eight sets were released all in one wave in both continents. This American catalog and this Dutch catalogue (on pages 50 and 51) both advertise them all at once.

I'm grateful that the characters got more distinctive names than this by the time BIONICLE was actually released, but at the same time, I think the alien-sounding names of BIONICLE characters made the theme a bit intimidating to new fans, particularly in the later years when there were so many character names to learn.

I agree, and I also dislike the inconsistency between the early names that mostly ended in vowels and the later ones which nearly all ended in consonants and overused 'x' and 'z' (which rarely appeared before).

I'm certain the original eight sets were released all in one wave in both continents. This American catalog and this Dutch catalogue (on pages 50 and 51) both advertise them all at once.

Hmmm, looks like I was wrong then. I checked some other catalogs and everything seems to mention a March release for all eight. I guess I should have known better... I seem to remember reading that the LEGO Group only started breaking up themes into half-year waves once BIONICLE came around.

I'm grateful that the characters got more distinctive names than this by the time BIONICLE was actually released, but at the same time, I think the alien-sounding names of BIONICLE characters made the theme a bit intimidating to new fans, particularly in the later years when there were so many character names to learn.

I agree, and I also dislike the inconsistency between the early names that mostly ended in vowels and the later ones which nearly all ended in consonants and overused 'x' and 'z' (which rarely appeared before).

Well, I wouldn't say it was terribly inconsistent. It was mostly Toa, Turaga, and Matoran names that ended in vowels in the early days. Other names, like the Bohrok, Rahkshi, and Bahrag names, frequently ended in consonants.

And the Mata Nui Online Game created precedent for Matoran names with diverse linguistic origins, including ones that ended in consonants like Bour, Kamen, Damek, Boreas, and Aodhan. With that in mind, even some of the latest Matoran names don't seem so out-of-the-ordinary. There were names like Dekar, Defilak, Kirop, and Vultraz, certainly, but also still plenty of names like Sarda, Gavla, Tanma, and Mazeka.

It's true that BIONICLE naming conventions changed radically from the beginning, when they were almost exclusively ripped directly from Polynesian root words, to the end, when many of the names were heavily modified to conceal their real-world origins, if they had any real-world origins at all. But this was an ongoing trend that began at least as early as 2003, as soon as Matoran names began to be derived from global languages rather than just Polynesian ones. And non-Matoran names ending in consonants go back almost as far as the first non-Matoran characters (besides Mata Nui and Makuta, of course). All things considered, BIONICLE probably makes a lot more sense from a linguistic perspective than many fantasy and sci-fi franchises where few, if any, linguistic rules are imposed from the beginning.

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail this topic with a conversation about BIONICLE name formation. Back on-topic, did anyone ever come up with any original Slizer/Throwbots/Roboriders characters of their own? My memory of those days is sort of foggy, but I do recall building my own original Throwbot. His name was Rocket. He was Bright Red and Medium Blue, and had a jetpack. Not really a very sensible color scheme, at least compared to the "official" Throwbots whose colors tended to be much more harmonious, but I was eight or nine years old at the time and was more interested in making my Throwbot different than the other Throwbots than in making one who had a really sensible defining motif.

All of my original Throwbots creations that I can remember were vaguely humanoid (and I don't remember ever creating any original Roboriders characters), so I suppose even back when official models were split nearly 50/50 between humanoid and non-humanoid characters, I was biased towards characters that felt "normal" to me. Even with my sets, I preferred the smaller "biker" form of Millennia to the bigger form because he was closer to the same size and physique as the other Throwbots.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Upvote 1

<.< >.> You're joking? I mean, Bionicle did end four years ago, and (yes, I know, it had a story, but still) discussion of it is still going strong.

I wasn't really around much when it was current, but I have since bought quite a few of the sets at thrift stores and stuff, and I really like them. The case with the disc-slots and all was pretty awesome. Set-wise, sure, they didn't have near as much articulation. But I'll tell you what they did have.

Wheels.

And wings.

Beat that, Bionicle.

Story-wise, I know there wasn't much, and what there was, I missed, since I wasn't aware of the presence of Slizers at the time. The world-split-in-seven-elements thing was and remains one of my favorite things, though.

I mean, look at it.

Go on, look.

BIONICLE naming conventions changed radically from the beginning

I believe that when you say "Bionicle", you are actually meaning to refer to the widely popular "Boneheads of Voodoo Island" theme created by LEGO.

These had more in common with Hero Factory if you ask me. Bizarre names, lack of a good story, and weird primitive sets. (I actually like that about Throwbots)

I would agree with you on the "in common with Hero Factory" thing, though I hadn't thought of that before.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

<.< >.> You're joking? I mean, Bionicle did end four years ago, and (yes, I know, it had a story, but still) discussion of it is still going strong.

No, I wasn't. And there's a bit of a difference between a line that had a complex story, lasted nearly ten years and ended less than five years ago, and a line that had almost no story at all, lasted barely two years and ended over ten years ago.

I'll grant this topic has generated a little more discussion than I was expecting (though at least a bit of it has been my own contribution).

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lewa, Kopaka, and Pohatu mata had them. If we're talking about those small arms with the 90 degree joint. remember? Kopaka held his shield on it, Lewa had that crazy extended thick "finger" hand, and pohatu had two black "hands" on them.

I remember I had a few Slizers/Throwbots. My first, when they first came out, was Amazon. he had a crazy antenna attached to his hip, and was holding a short little System Katana in turqoise.

Shortly after bionicle, I got Ski, who had a Technic ski stick and two strange things that acted as skis, and he had a technic-sized helmet visor over the "eyes".

then I got a two pack from my grandparents of Flare/Spark, who were in the second "season" of it. They were fascinating , but I never knew there was a story to it aside from what was on the discs. I ascertained that there was a meteor and these two climbed out of it.

Then I got two Roboriders, Onyx and Power. I was able to make their combiner which I found cool, but I hated the lack of articulation in the legs.

Edited by Mr. Lightning Bolt

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

Lewa, Kopaka, and Pohatu mata had them. If we're talking about those small arms with the 90 degree joint. remember? Kopaka held his shield on it, Lewa had that crazy extended thick "finger" hand, and pohatu had two black "hands" on them.

I meant Slizer limbs in black specifically.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Do anyone know where I can have a good deal of Throwbots and Roborider sets, I would like to get some more of them because I only of one of two theme.

There are some on eBay for $15 and under. Most of them have a Make Offer option, you could probably get them for $10.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

So I can just buy the set for 10 or something, then just buy the parts and get the instructions and canister later for like $5 or $6. Then just get irnakk then just paying $50 or something for him.

(My friend just said this and he did made a really good point)

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube