11676488464_61c278a359_n.jpg
Flickr

"Wyverns that rule the eternally frozen Tundra. Barioth use their huge tusks and spiked scales to move freely atop the slippery ice; this ability makes them very difficult to keep up with." --Hunter's Notes, Monster Hunter Tri

I have been wanting to MOC a creature from my beloved Monster Hunter for a while, and when BBC #67 was announced, I knew that I wanted to enter this guy. I'm very pleased that I was able to make one of my favorite monsters from the franchise. For those of you who aren't familiar with Barioth, here's an image of the beast from Monster Hunter Tri. If you aren't familiar with the Monster Hunter franchise, that's a shame, but it's essentially one of Capcom's biggest selling game series, at least in Japan. As for Barioth, he's basically a huge, armored, ice-breathing saber-toothed cat with wings. Is that awesome or what?

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 6

You have several very solid, well built, and good looking builds all around on this guy. I especially like the head and neck, the front arms (legs?), and the tail. Looking at the source, I think the tail could have used just a few more orange spikes, but that's a really minor thing.

Excellent work, Ballom, it's very true to the source material.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

Well done!

I've recently had to fight this guy in Mh3u, and I have to say, this is spot on. This is probably the closest representation of the Barioth you can make out of bionicle/H.F. parts.

Now, someone just needs to make a Brachydios M.O.C.!

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

You have several very solid, well built, and good looking builds all around on this guy. I especially like the head and neck, the front arms (legs?), and the tail. Looking at the source, I think the tail could have used just a few more orange spikes, but that's a really minor thing.

Excellent work, Ballom, it's very true to the source material.

Thanks for the reply! For Barioth's tail, I had to make a compromise between getting the right shape and putting on a ton of orange spikes, so I could only do three pairs. Still, I'm glad that you like him!

*whimpers ptifully* that thing is AWESOME! The tails brilliantly done, as is the body arms, leg and head...

Wait, you mean only one of his legs is done well, in your opinion? But which one? :P

Well done!

I've recently had to fight this guy in Mh3u, and I have to say, this is spot on. This is probably the closest representation of the Barioth you can make out of bionicle/H.F. parts.

Now, someone just needs to make a Brachydios M.O.C.!

Oh, a Brachy MOC would be sweet . . . :D I'm sure that retinence could pull of something like that. But thanks, it's not easy making a Bionicle Monster Hunter monster!

Great work! I really love how sleek the entire thing looks. Those wickedly sharp claws, horns and teeth are arranged in an excellent way that make it seem generally ferocious, in my opinion.

Actually, those are ears on his head, not horns. Thanks for the feedback, though! The overlapping Hero Factory cladding does make him look sleeker on parts like the neck and tail, I agree. Regrettably, though, his neck is not poseable at all because the head makes it droop forward only. His tail can be posed, but it can't be lifted high because the bladed tip makes it too heavy.

~B~

Edited by Ballom

Beautiful work as always Ballom! I’m not very well versed in Monster Hunter but this guy looks wicked nonetheless. Comparing him to the reference, I’d say you’ve done a fantastic job recreating him, even down to the tiny details.

I love the armor layering on the tail (how’d you do that by the way?), the sleek back (nice part selection here: the hero factory body pieces add the muscled, powerful feel), and especially the head. It wonderfully captures the intimidating beast-feline feeling. It’s better in the other pictures though; from this particular angle it’s a little hard to see the lower jaw.

My only suggestion would be to maybe add small white spikes along the tail, but that’s pretty small.

Great work and good luck!

Beautiful work as always Ballom! I’m not very well versed in Monster Hunter but this guy looks wicked nonetheless. Comparing him to the reference, I’d say you’ve done a fantastic job recreating him, even down to the tiny details.

I love the armor layering on the tail (how’d you do that by the way?), the sleek back (nice part selection here: the hero factory body pieces add the muscled, powerful feel), and especially the head. It wonderfully captures the intimidating beast-feline feeling. It’s better in the other pictures though; from this particular angle it’s a little hard to see the lower jaw.

My only suggestion would be to maybe add small white spikes along the tail, but that’s pretty small.

Great work and good luck!

Thanks for replying, Shadrahk! I do think that my Barioth MOC is a pretty good likeness, like you say. The Hero Factory panel layering on his neck and tail was actually first used by retinence, so credit for that goes to him. I was going for an arched back (very feline), and you are right, the chest pieces pulled that look off nicely. The head is my favorite part of the MOC too. ^_^ It doesn't match his snub-nosed, squinty-eyed in-game face perfectly, but the Rahkshi head does look very cat-like, and it has ears, blue eyes, and orange tusks -- in other words, it's complete.

Finally, I added as many spikes as I could to the tail, but I couldn't match the layered spikiness of the picture, as you say. It's hard to do that when you're using those white blade pieces and still trying to add some orange spikes to the side.

Congrats on your placement in the finals, too!

I hadn't seen this character before and thus didn't recognize it on sight, but darn if he's not cool anyhow. :D

Well, the 3rd generation of Monster Hunter isn't nearly as well known as the previous two. However, with more games in the US such as MH3 Ultimate and the upcoming Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (yay! :happydance: ), guys like Barioth and the iconic Lagiacrus, Zinogre, and Brachydios are bound to be more recognizable. I would have tried to make an awesome fan favorite such as Kut-ku or Nargacuga, but those would have been harder. I just happened to have the right pieces for Barioth. Thanks anyway though.

~B~

Edited by Ballom

• 2 weeks later...

I like the use of hero cores in his neck/jaw. Very well done!

Thanks! I was looking for a good space-filling piece, and that one seemed to do the trick.

Wow, I played Ultimate, and this is just like the original! Great work on capturing the essence of an awesomely designed beast! ^_^

I'm glad you like my version of Barioth, even though he's grounded due to a lack of wing membranes. :P Yes, he is a pretty awesome monster. It's too bad that he won't likely be returning in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, because what could be more awesome than trying to ride a bucking Barioth, right? Perhaps we will get Blangonga back to fill in for him as the resident white, fanged, Ice-element Tundra top predator.

~B~

Edited by Ballom

Never heard of this before, but I like how sleek and deadly it looks, with the exception of the legs, which I feel are a little too blocky for a lithe predator.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

• 3 weeks later...

Never heard of this before, but I like how sleek and deadly it looks, with the exception of the legs, which I feel are a little too blocky for a lithe predator.

If you look at the reference image, his forelimbs are actually pretty bulky overall, actually. Of course, for the MOC, the way I made the wing membranes they do stick near the legs, so perhaps those look like they add additional bulk.

~B~

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! Barioth features two different types of Hero Factory torsos -- one from the first wave of heroes in 2010 and one from the heroes 2.0 in 2011 -- but when linked together, they made the arched, feline frame work pretty well. And I agree completely, the tail looks great on him. :D What I particularly like about it is that below the layered Hero Factory armor paneling (the retinence design), the spiked tip forms a large chunk that easily looks like it could be cut off by a Greatsword.

~B~