That Red-Clad Plumber

Torran

VOTE IN THE FINAL POLL HERE!

Your princess is in another castle! But here's Mario to compensate!

mario_post.jpg

Got a mushroom! (entry image)

Reference image:

p4950-1194356755.jpg

This is my entry for BBCC 67: Super Smash Builders!.

Brickshelf - Flickr

Thanks for viewing, remember to vote, and happy building!

EDIT: Updated to include info regarding the contest.

EDIT: Added voting link.

Edited by Torran
  • Upvote 3

This is so fantastic in so many ways. The use of hands as pixels is genius. The original colors would have been nice though. Despite that, it just seems to…work. The only building qualm I have is the blue pins, but that's close to impossible to rectify. But really…just…wow. It's original AND a classic character. Kudos for that.

Nice creation, although looking at your Reference image I think yellow "hands" would work just a bit better instead of the white ones.

This is so fantastic in so many ways. The use of hands as pixels is genius. The original colors would have been nice though. Despite that, it just seems to…work. The only building qualm I have is the blue pins, but that's close to impossible to rectify. But really…just…wow. It's original AND a classic character. Kudos for that.

Regarding the colours used, I would have liked to have used more original colours -- trouble being that I have maybe 15 yellow ball cups, and I wasn't sure what the shirt colour was supposed to be (looks almost brown as well?). The blue pins, yeah, bane of an MoC. :P Wish I had some in red, or white, or really any colour other than blue, tan, or grey.

Thanks to all for feedback and encouragement!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess there's not much to say bout this one, is there? I love seeing Y-socket mosaics, and this is a good one. I'm not sure what's up with the trans-orange/trans-blue sockets, did you run out of red/blue? Great color choices otherwise, I think.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

I guess there's not much to say bout this one, is there? I love seeing Y-socket mosaics, and this is a good one. I'm not sure what's up with the trans-orange/trans-blue sockets, did you run out of red/blue? Great color choices otherwise, I think.

Yeah, I ended up not having enough red/blue sockets, but I didn't want to pass up the idea so I chose the closest colours I had.

Thanks!

EDIT: If you'd like, you can all vote for this creation in the preliminary voting poll here!

Edited by Torran

This is a decent mosaic, and does a good job of capturing the pixelated character. Having done this before, I hope you don't mind if I mention a few ways this could be improved.

First of all, color consistency would've been nice, but I understand that you might have a limited supply of sockets. Honestly, the wide variety of colors that these sockets come in make them great for mosaics, but you do end up needing quite a few, don't ya. Still, having all the blues in a single shade would've helped. In that same idea, I would've also used the same type of mold throughout; you have old style and new style intermixed. Again, it depends on what you have on hand, but yeah. :P

Now, the biggest problem with this is clearly the blue +0 pieces. The naive choice would be to use only black ones, but those are hard to find (not to mention expensive in the secondary market.) But why should you be limited to that single piece. I would suggest black 3L axels; you could still connect them to liftarms in the back and use stopper pieces to hold them in. Since you're only worried about how this looks on one side, it wouldn't be an issue to bulk up the back, and if you wanted you could even build a technic stand to hold it upright. But it would get rid of all those unwanted blue pins and replace them with reletively common elements that will get the job done.

Anyway, good luck in the contest. I'm waiting to see even more of these socket mosaics pop up here now.

:music:

This is a decent mosaic, and does a good job of capturing the pixelated character. Having done this before, I hope you don't mind if I mention a few ways this could be improved.

First of all, color consistency would've been nice, but I understand that you might have a limited supply of sockets. Honestly, the wide variety of colors that these sockets come in make them great for mosaics, but you do end up needing quite a few, don't ya. Still, having all the blues in a single shade would've helped. In that same idea, I would've also used the same type of mold throughout; you have old style and new style intermixed. Again, it depends on what you have on hand, but yeah. :P

Now, the biggest problem with this is clearly the blue +0 pieces. The naive choice would be to use only black ones, but those are hard to find (not to mention expensive in the secondary market.) But why should you be limited to that single piece. I would suggest black 3L axels; you could still connect them to liftarms in the back and use stopper pieces to hold them in. Since you're only worried about how this looks on one side, it wouldn't be an issue to bulk up the back, and if you wanted you could even build a technic stand to hold it upright. But it would get rid of all those unwanted blue pins and replace them with reletively common elements that will get the job done.

Anyway, good luck in the contest. I'm waiting to see even more of these socket mosaics pop up here now.

:music:

I had my hands tied on colour and style; I was hoping I could get by with at least the same old-style socket even if the colours didn't quite match, but no luck (in person, the colours blend nicer, I didn't notice how they came out in the photos until after uploading them and taking another look at them). On both points, I do agree.

The axles are a great idea, I didn't even consider using them. They would've definitely worked better, I'll keep that in mind if ever I do something similar again.

Your suggestions are very appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

This is really good, like that you use a lot of Mata Hands but I think you should have change a little of those trans-blue to normal Mata Blue and I don't know if the white would be better if it was tan or not.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube