Worst Hero Factory Character?

Sybre

I suppose it would have been really nice if Surge at least had trusted her, as a callback to how she used that same ability to communicate with ferocious monsters to save his life back in Rise of the Rookies. Surge and Breez have had a pretty strong team dynamic from the very beginning, and the writer of Invasion from Below sort of played on that in Brain Attack, so it's a bit of a shame that it didn't come up in this episode. It would have helped Surge stand out more as a character for sure.

Could this have been the result of them having to rewrite the ending in 12 hours? :shrugs:

No, I don't think so. If they were going to work with the dynamic between Surge and Breez I think it would have come up before the ending, and I don't think any of the last-minute changes would have affected it greatly. I think it was probably more a consequence of the writer having to divide the 22-minute episode between seven heroes and not wanting to focus on any particular two-character dynamic at the expense of the other characters.

The fact that Breez and Surge got to interact so much in "Brain Attack" could very well have been a happy accident: Surge had a special role in the episode as the hero the brains took over, and Breez (unlike, say, Rocka) happened to be available and well-suited for the final confrontation with him.

• Upvote 1

Besides all of them? You mean that one is even worse?

In all seriousness, probably the villains. They tend to get less screen time than the Heroes, and as such, are even more underdeveloped than most.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Well, actually, the fact that the other heroes don't think too highly of her ability to communicate with alien creatures was established back in 2010. So while the heroes have plenty of respect for her fighting ability and ability to keep her cool, I can understand why they would be skeptical about the possibility of a diplomatic solution.

I suppose it would have been really nice if Surge at least had trusted her, as a callback to how she used that same ability to communicate with ferocious monsters to save his life back in Rise of the Rookies. Surge and Breez have had a pretty strong team dynamic from the very beginning, and the writer of Invasion from Below sort of played on that in Brain Attack, so it's a bit of a shame that it didn't come up in this episode. It would have helped Surge stand out more as a character for sure.

Surge didn't supported and said anything to breez at all, that was one of the thing I disliked. But it's good he was not sexist.

Breez: destroy the bridge

*bridge destoryed*

Breez: Well done

BULK: Good thinking EVO

• Upvote 1

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Surge didn't supported and said anything to breez at all, that was one of the thing I disliked. But it's good he was not sexist.

Breez: destroy the bridge

*bridge destoryed*

Breez: Well done

BULK: Good thinking EVO

:no: Not cool, Bulk. Not cool.

At least give credit where it's due.

Aw, that it easy on Bulk, he just wanted to be heard somewhere in there...XD

Anyway back on to the topic. Physical set wise, I think XT4; there were many leftover sets of this guy even well onto the Brain Attack Year...Why? That guy doesn't look aesthetically pleasing as others/ not as worth, methinks...

Please do visit:

MNSbanner.jpg

Font: Urban Decay by zofos

Anyway back on to the topic. Physical set wise, I think XT4; there were many leftover sets of this guy even well onto the Brain Attack Year...Why? That guy doesn't look aesthetically pleasing as others/ not as worth, methinks...

I think you're giving XT4 a bit too little credit. Not only did the guy introduce a new and highly-useful torso design, but he had a very unique robotic-looking design with pseudo-digitigrade legs and LOADS of bone elements and weapons. If I had to guess why he tended to warm shelves (at least from your experience), I'd put more of the blame on the fact that he was a new character who was absent from the Breakout special, meaning that he was ill-defined story-wise until he debuted in the chapter books (which themselves struggled to find an audience). Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 1 month later...

When I read the topic title, my gut reaction was to post "Yes" and leave it at that. And I don't even dislike Hero Factory!

So, um... I'm gonna go with Surge. Although, to be fair, it's tough life when you're the designated comic relief guy.

- Heir

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

When I read the topic title, my gut reaction was to post "Yes" and leave it at that. And I don't even dislike Hero Factory!

So, um... I'm gonna go with Surge. Although, to be fair, it's tough life when you're the designated comic relief guy.

- Heir

I dunno, Nex was arguably even more of a comic relief character than Surge, and as I understand it he's a favorite character for many HF fans. I don't think the seriousness (or lack thereof) of a character is really what makes people like or dislike them. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Surge. He's never too serious and often put himself into serious trouble.

You mean like Toa Lewa did all the time? :P In all honesty, Surge and Toa Lewa have a lot in common. They're youthful, impulsive, and a little bit reckless. Surge is a bit less of a thrill-seeker than Lewa, and has more emotional turmoil to work through, but they still fill more or less the same niche within their respective teams.
  • Upvote 1

You mean like Toa Lewa did all the time? :P In all honesty, Surge and Toa Lewa have a lot in common. They're youthful, impulsive, and a little bit reckless. Surge is a bit less of a thrill-seeker than Lewa, and has more emotional turmoil to work through, but they still fill more or less the same niche within their respective teams.

Now that I think about it, I've realised that Surge is just reincarnation Lewa. Their both youthful and wisecracking, and they both have turned bad for a brief amount of time. 

Now that I think about it, I've realised that Surge is just reincarnation Lewa. Their both youthful and wisecracking, and they both have turned bad for a brief amount of time. 

Lewa has nothing in common with Surge. He doesn't make jokes in trouble situations, like Surge. 

Edited by jalar

Lewa has nothing in common with Surge. He doesn't make jokes in trouble situations, like Surge. 

Joking in a tight spot is a rather specific trait; them not sharing it doesn't automatically mean they aren't noticeable similar in other ways. I don't think they're as comparable as, say, Gali and Breez, but they both are young, energetic, and well-meaning, even if they have a lot to learn. What I find the most interesting similarity is how Surge's fears about one day becoming a villain (specifically in Secret Mission 1: The Doom Box) echo Lewa's insecurities after the Krana incident.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Yes, that's one of the reasons why I think Surge is a reuse of Lewa. But if we're gonna continue this discussion any further, I think we should make a separate topic for it. I believe we're going off-topic from the subject matter. 

Edited by Collector1

• 2 weeks later...

Since when has Surge said "Wind, fly!" in any of the TV episodes?

VBWj75sh.png

Since when has Surge said "Wind, fly!" in any of the TV episodes?

He's not a perfect reincarnation obviously.

• Upvote 1

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

I don't think they're as comparable as, say, Gali and Breez

Of course not. Gali and Breez are both one of the only kinds of female characters LEGO can write, while Surge and Lewa occupy the broader amounts of character traits afforded to male characters.

I would argue that Nya and Pixal from Ninjago occupy a suitably different role—as do Hitomi from Exo-Force and Wyldstyle and Unikitty from The Lego Movie. Not to mention the comparably diverse female cast of Legends of Chima, or the female-dominated cast of Friends. Heck, Bionicle itself offered a fairly wide range of female character archetypes, including the villainous schemer Roodaka, the stern and driven leader Helryx, and the spunky and optimistic Kiina.

Lego often does a pretty poor job of including a wide range of female characters in its story-based themes, and Hero Factory is perhaps one of the most egregious examples of this issue. But hyperbole doesn't really help your case.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I don't think they're as comparable as, say, Gali and Breez

Of course not. Gali and Breez are both one of the only kinds of female characters LEGO can write, while Surge and Lewa occupy the broader amounts of character traits afforded to male characters.

I would argue that Nya and Pixal from Ninjago occupy a suitably different role—as do Hitomi from Exo-Force and Wyldstyle and Unikitty from The Lego Movie. Not to mention the comparably diverse female cast of Legends of Chima, or the female-dominated cast of Friends. Heck, Bionicle itself offered a fairly wide range of female character archetypes, including the villainous schemer Roodaka, the stern and driven leader Helryx, and the spunky and optimistic Kiina.

Lego often does a pretty poor job of including a wide range of female characters in its story-based themes, and Hero Factory is perhaps one of the most egregious examples of this issue. But hyperbole doesn't really help your case.

I said one of the only types; I know full well that they use a couple of different archetypes, though not nearly as many as they do male character archetypes, and few break from an archetype at all.

Unikitty was not a character written by the usual TLG story team as far as I know, so she's hardly evidence of their writing abilities.

Roodaka's archetype is actually the femme fatale, a notably somewhat sexist archetype. Lariska also arguably falls under this. Helryx was a "strong female character" archetype, arguably quite similar to Chiara, Dalu, Tuyet, and Hahli 2006 on, just with each having different aspects emphasized, but ultimately being similar characters. It's not too much exaggeration to say LEGO has an extremely limited cast of female character compared to male, with a defining divide being "caring, calm archetype or trying hard to be the opposite".

I will always believe in the power of hyperbole to prove a point. The only flaw with it is it seems to make people unnecessarily defensive.

Undoubtedly Breeze. She was just a character made to piggybank off of the BIONICLE elemental powers. Although I'm not a big fan of Hero Factory anyway. It was to bright and happy, not enough darkness, the evil characters were to easily beaten. It seemed(And seems) more like something from a children's superhero comic then something 'from the masterminds behind BIONICLE'.

Undoubtedly Breeze. She was just a character made to piggybank off of the BIONICLE elemental powers. Although I'm not a big fan of Hero Factory anyway. It was to bright and happy, not enough darkness, the evil characters were to easily beaten. It seemed(And seems) more like something from a children's superhero comic then something 'from the masterminds behind BIONICLE'.

What's wrong with children's superhero comics? There's a place for that sort of thing in the media landscape.

I also don't see how Breez was "made to piggybank off of the BIONICLE elemental powers". Maybe the designers just thought air/wind was a power a lot of kids liked? Besides, she's one of the characters whose elemental theme has the least impact on her design and characterization. If her elemental theme is what stands out the most to you about the character, you're probably not looking very hard.

What's wrong with children's superhero comics? There's a place for that sort of thing in the media landscape.

I also don't see how Breez was "made to piggybank off of the BIONICLE elemental powers". Maybe the designers just thought air/wind was a power a lot of kids liked? Besides, she's one of the characters whose elemental theme has the least impact on her design and characterization. If her elemental theme is what stands out the most to you about the character, you're probably not looking very hard.

I agree, your post didn't talk too much about Breez herself. Personally, I found her one of the more tolerable characters. Her interactions with Furno reminded me of Nokama and Vakama in LoMN. Sure, she fell into LEGO's typical "gentle peacemaker" stereotype of women, but at least they tried something (*cough*Bulk and Stringer*cough*).

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

If I were to choose 1, perhaps Furno? I never really liked the hotheaded characters, and even before they cancelled individuality, he was kind of frustrating.

Alot of people complain about the villains being shallow, but honestly it's not the characters themselves, it's that they last for half of a year rather than allowing for enough time to show different aspects of their personalities and abilities.

Of course the Invasion from Below show left me with a dislike for all the heroes aside from Breez, Stringer, and Nex.(The latter two of which weren't even on the show!) Genocide is not to be celebrated in my book, so the heroes in general are on my least favorite list.

Edited by ~garnira returns~

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

I agree, your post didn't talk too much about Breez herself. Personally, I found her one of the more tolerable characters. Her interactions with Furno reminded me of Nokama and Vakama in LoMN. Sure, she fell into LEGO's typical "gentle peacemaker" stereotype of women, but at least they tried something (*cough*Bulk and Stringer*cough*).

Well, besides her ability to talk to animals and her tendency to seek non-violent solutions in the recent episode, Breez is much less the "gentle peacemaker" than Gali or Nokama. In BIONICLE, it often fell to the Toa of Water to be the voice for unity while the other Toa were caught up in petty feuding. But in Hero Factory, one of Breez's key traits is that she's fiercely independent — she doesn't want to be treated like anything less than her male teammates. Which is still kind of cliché, of course, but in a different way.

What problems did you have with Bulk and Stringer? Personally, Bulk is one of my favorite characters just in terms of his internal conflict and character development, though admittedly neither has had a major impact on the most recent three story arcs. His Hero Factory Confidential page was the first place to really address his internal conflict, and it played a big role in "Savage Planet" where he took up reading as a hobby in an attempt to prove that he's "more than just the big guy".

Stringer is also a pretty cool character, who actually fits the "gentle peacemaker" role in some respects better than Breez does. He's the one who always wants to reach out to rookies and help them feel like they belong, and his most distinguishing trait is his ability to stay calm and collected even in the heat of battle. He also waxes philosophical in some media like Greg Farshtey's chapter books. Check out his bio and Hero Factory Confidential page on the old website. Sadly, Stringer has gotten a pretty raw deal in most of the TV episodes. In "Savage Planet" and "Breakout" alike he was basically reduced to cringe-worthy comedy relief, and he hasn't appeared in any subsequent episodes or series of sets.

• Upvote 1

Well, besides her ability to talk to animals and her tendency to seek non-violent solutions in the recent episode, Breez is much less the "gentle peacemaker" than Gali or Nokama. In BIONICLE, it often fell to the Toa of Water to be the voice for unity while the other Toa were caught up in petty feuding. But in Hero Factory, one of Breez's key traits is that she's fiercely independent — she doesn't want to be treated like anything less than her male teammates. Which is still kind of cliché, of course, but in a different way.

What problems did you have with Bulk and Stringer? Personally, Bulk is one of my favorite characters just in terms of his internal conflict and character development, though admittedly neither has had a major impact on the most recent three story arcs. His Hero Factory Confidential page was the first place to really address his internal conflict, and it played a big role in "Savage Planet" where he took up reading as a hobby in an attempt to prove that he's "more than just the big guy".

Stringer is also a pretty cool character, who actually fits the "gentle peacemaker" role in some respects better than Breez does. He's the one who always wants to reach out to rookies and help them feel like they belong, and his most distinguishing trait is his ability to stay calm and collected even in the heat of battle. He also waxes philosophical in some media like Greg Farshtey's chapter books. Check out his bio and Hero Factory Confidential page on the old website. Sadly, Stringer has gotten a pretty raw deal in most of the TV episodes. In "Savage Planet" and "Breakout" alike he was basically reduced to cringe-worthy comedy relief, and he hasn't appeared in any subsequent episodes or series of sets.

I should have mentioned I was only thinking of Rise of the Rookies in my other post, where Bulk is mainly left to the wayside. His internal conflict is interest, but like most interesting ideas in Hero Factory, is criminally underexplored. With Stringer, I've only read the first Secret Mission book, so I've only seen the Stringer shown in the TV episodes. I'll admit that, in The Doom Box, all of the character are much more real and likable.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There's already a topic for BIONICLE concerning the worst character (I think), so why not have a Hero Factory equivalent? C'mon, we all know Hero Factory seems like the kind of series that would have a bad character, so who do you think it is? This requires some thinking, but that's no trouble for y'all!

For my choice, I'm gonna go for Rocka. He's kind of a template of the headstrong young hero. In fact, I'm going far enough to call him a cheap knockoff of Furno. I'm calling Rocka a "Gary Stu" (poorly-written male character) because not only is he a carbon copy of Furno, but he was stripped of Furno's flaws, flaws that made Furno a more relatable character. Furno's stress can actually drain him, but what about Rocka? He doesn't get stress. His only flaw is overconfidence, but it hardly even matters in the end because in the HF TV specials, Rocka has beaten every main villain from Witch Doctor to Dragon Bolt. He is stealing a lot of credit from other characters who deserve it more than a writer's pet character. I think Stringer and/or Bulk deserved to take down a main villain like Black Phantom or Dragon Bolt, but they're plot devices compared to Rocka (don't get me wrong; Stringer and Bulk kick butt). Rocka's flawlessness is just so appalling! He is just so set up for success. The other Heores are reduced to spending the entire season rolling out the red carpet for Rocka, where he calmly walks down the other Hero's hard work (which only slightly pays off in the end) and without any problems, socks the season's main villain in the face, knocking him to the floor. What happened to Surge? Or Breez? Or Nex? Or Evo? Or Stringer? etc. Apparently, they don't matter in the sheer presence of Rocka the Flawless! How did they let this happen!? They made Rocka too perfect! Why? WHY??! WHHHHHHHHYYY- *takes deep breath* You get the idea.

So, what do some of you other BZPers think? What's your pick for the worst Hero Factory character? I look forward to seeing what you can come up with, as this isn't the easiest topic to discuss, but don't let that stop you from posting!

there are no carbon copies they're freakin' robots

There's already a topic for BIONICLE concerning the worst character (I think), so why not have a Hero Factory equivalent? C'mon, we all know Hero Factory seems like the kind of series that would have a bad character, so who do you think it is? This requires some thinking, but that's no trouble for y'all!

For my choice, I'm gonna go for Rocka. He's kind of a template of the headstrong young hero. In fact, I'm going far enough to call him a cheap knockoff of Furno. I'm calling Rocka a "Gary Stu" (poorly-written male character) because not only is he a carbon copy of Furno, but he was stripped of Furno's flaws, flaws that made Furno a more relatable character. Furno's stress can actually drain him, but what about Rocka? He doesn't get stress. His only flaw is overconfidence, but it hardly even matters in the end because in the HF TV specials, Rocka has beaten every main villain from Witch Doctor to Dragon Bolt. He is stealing a lot of credit from other characters who deserve it more than a writer's pet character. I think Stringer and/or Bulk deserved to take down a main villain like Black Phantom or Dragon Bolt, but they're plot devices compared to Rocka (don't get me wrong; Stringer and Bulk kick butt). Rocka's flawlessness is just so appalling! He is just so set up for success. The other Heores are reduced to spending the entire season rolling out the red carpet for Rocka, where he calmly walks down the other Hero's hard work (which only slightly pays off in the end) and without any problems, socks the season's main villain in the face, knocking him to the floor. What happened to Surge? Or Breez? Or Nex? Or Evo? Or Stringer? etc. Apparently, they don't matter in the sheer presence of Rocka the Flawless! How did they let this happen!? They made Rocka too perfect! Why? WHY??! WHHHHHHHHYYY- *takes deep breath* You get the idea.

So, what do some of you other BZPers think? What's your pick for the worst Hero Factory character? I look forward to seeing what you can come up with, as this isn't the easiest topic to discuss, but don't let that stop you from posting!

there are no carbon copies they're freakin' robots

No, you see, they took Furno and made him "better". A carbon copy is a person or thing that's either identical or similar to something else. Rocka is a carbon copy of Furno, but no flaws built in. Besides, robots are easy to copy. Just build one exactly like another robot, with tweaks, if you prefer.

mindeth the cobwebs

• 2 weeks later...

Von Nebula seemed like a pretty weak villain to me, And its because of the way he developed into a villain in the first place. Basically, he was a coward who blamed Stormer for totally screwing up on a mission that happened years ago. This lead him to wanting to destroy the Hero Factory and Stormer, because the substitute would be admitting that he made a mistake, dealing with it, and moving on. 

• Upvote 1

Von Nebula seemed like a pretty weak villain to me, And its because of the way he developed into a villain in the first place. Basically, he was a coward who blamed Stormer for totally screwing up on a mission that happened years ago. This lead him to wanting to destroy the Hero Factory and Stormer, because the substitute would be admitting that he made a mistake, dealing with it, and moving on.

Von Nebula is basically supposed to be a weak-willed coward, as afraid of facing up to his own mistakes as a villain as he was to facing villains as a hero.

Worst character for me was Evo. Quoting Brickipedia, "In Ordeal of Fire, Evo is calm and collected, and he drops into a meditative state between battles... In Breakout, however, he is more like a rookie slightly unsure of himself, as he asks Furno for help several times when looking for Toxic Reapa."

It's more of the change of character than accent - I preferred the first Evo to the rookie Evo.

Edited by Jakura Nuva
  • Upvote 1