The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

I also feel the need to remind you that the KGB (now the SVR) and the CIA have been doing as much scheming as Makuta for a long time--they'd be very competent at telling what his real motives are, or at least unravelling them some.

Yes, that does make sense. I'd imagine that they'd see that as an opportunity to use this new resource to their advantage, and then work around the new problem of Makuta at the end.

I could just end my suffering. But it would be too cowardly. They'll just come and laugh on my grave. I've got to survive. To see their undoing and to win this chess game with heaven.

They'd certainly use these effective superheroes to their advantage, heck they'd hire some (Mask of Illusion would be devastating). That being said, if seven foot tall robots with superpowers show up and inform you that this guy is responsible for destroying their home (which was an entire universe inside a giant robot), you're going to put him fairly high on your threat list.:w:

My idea was kind of that this would spark a new war, something where the entire world was embroiled in the conflict. For example, different countries could try to use these newfound "heroes" to their advantage (such as the U.S. using the Vortixx to revitalise the industrial side of the country or China using the Skakdi to start a war). A main focus would be on the political tensions and the fight for acceptance. Not all races would be divided evenly into a country, least of all the Matoran.

I could just end my suffering. But it would be too cowardly. They'll just come and laugh on my grave. I've got to survive. To see their undoing and to win this chess game with heaven.

I'd be really careful--addressing political issues is sadly frowned upon on BZP. While I can see sudden access to superpowers pushing the world toward war, bear in mind that in this day and age, everyone (almost) is straining at the yoke in the other direction. After the invention of the nuke, the idea of total war got a lot riskier.:w:

My hope was that, since this would be an alternate universe, the political issues would be fictitious, thereby stepping around the real-world politics because, really, how upset can you get about a fake political agenda or storyline? Yeah, you might care about it, but no more than you'd care about Superman dying for the eleventy-billionth time. It'll strike an emotional chord, but there's nothing there to personally offend your beliefs, because it's all fake.That being said, some people would still find it offputting for some reason or other, so I would keep the politics not centered around the MU's inhabitants arriving to a minimum. I wouldn't be putting in anything about Vietnam or Santorum or blah-di-blah-blah-blah, but I hope the political side of things would enrich the story. After all, if the Matoran are suffering because they do not have human rights, wouldn't that hit home with you?

Fake politics have been fine, so you've got that covered. :)I highly doubt that the Matoran would suffer from a lack of civil rights--sure, some of us might be worried that they're a precursor to an alien invasion or that we're going to be out-competed by them, but most of the bleeding-hearts would probably go out of their way to help biomechanicals in everything. People with common sense but a non-bleeding heart would say "as long as you obey the law, we're cool with you." That's the approach most people I know take to civil rights today, anyway.:w:

Alright, I'm starting to write up a rough draft of the post for it. Anything else you think it could use?

My First Rule of Alien Interaction Fiction: Do not make the humans useless. I hate stories that have battles between two alien factions with humans somewhere in there, watching helplessly. Of course, that's my personal preference, but I suspect it's shared with quite a few people.Now, my turn to propose a nascent idea: I'm sure everyone in the RPG forum is familiar with the sacrosanctity of the lives of PCs. They don't ever expect to die, and usually it's not addressed. I want to experiment with an RPG that forces them to look death in the face and know that they can struggle, can delay the inevitable, but eventually those characters will die, and the players will be controlling them when it happens.:w:

Nothing. I just get over-excited when people give me feedback that makes my creative endeavors change.I like the idea of death. How do you think I should incorporate that?

######, sorry. Mis-read your post. I've been up for almost a day and a half. I like your idea, work it out man.

Okay. The post with my entire description should be up soon.

Edited by Boredo

Lloyd.You. Me. Wedding chapel in Vegas.SCHNELL

Lloyd,it's a quote from a movie. That got the exact same reactionXDAnyway, what would you think about a RPG making kit? It would have the materials for an RPG, but could have location/story customized, Allowing a easier to make RPG. I have had it in the works for a while. Edited by gdfgdfgdfice

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

I'd be leery of it, but then again, if you look at how many RPGs I've run, it should be fairly obvious that I sorta know what I'm doing. It would most likely help newer potential GMs so they have a place to start. Basically, it'd be good to start with but I think they shouldn't be afraid to experiment.:w:

well, I have a Super Outdated (1year 3months) version here: neaver mind, I had taken the download down. :(But I could post 0.3(latest one)EDIT: I put the download link back(may I remind you it's 0.1) This has changed a lot in a year and 3 months.http://kidrules.weebly.com/bzprpg.html

Edited by gdfgdfgdfice

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

A few criticisms.First, whilst looking at it, I was unable to tell if it was for a TBRPG or a videogame of sorts, and the layout seemed both sparse and cluttered at the same time. I realise that this is a very old and outdated version, but I must ask if it's changed much in the fifteen months since you came up with it. If the idea is to help newbies make a game, this, I feel, would not work well from the incarnation I just read. I love the concept, and I think you're on to something very cool and nice, but it has to be cleaner and clearer before anyone can use it.I also noticed some minor spelling mistakes.That being said, once more, I think you have an awesome concept. Just stick with it. Can I get a glimpse at the newer version?

It won't be done for like a week, then I will realease 0.3. So please save all criticisms for 0.3. Can anyone think of jobs matoran would have. And yes, this was going to be a game.EDIT: I will make a word doc of it when it's done.

Edited by gdfgdfgdfice

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

It's a gameplay mechanic. The job or profession gives you some cool stuff. ex. a boat-maker knows how to make a boat, and the mechanics of floatation, etc.EDIT: .one is onenote, windows only.

Edited by gdfgdfgdfice

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

I'm thinking of having an RPG where a large population of the MU is displaced due to a massive hurricane/flood. Going into a long-lost sea gate, they wind up in a long isolated land of Empires and Kingdoms.I'd put the intro up, but I can't seem to be able to cut and paste anything on BZP.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

Lloyd, I may have come up with a solution to your death idea. What if every character had a set post limit (you could only make a post with that character in it so many times), but you can fight other players for more posts or "life energy-" I saw a trailer for a movier once that was kinda similar.

Thanks for the compliment.I'm always fascinated with new ideas in any creative medium- I kinda like to go all-out, saying "Well, how can we make it crazier? How can we mess this up to the point of being awesome?" I like creativity for creativity's sake and art for art's sake. I like trying new things just to try them.

Okay collective RPG planners, I have a proposition. Albeit not one to be implemented any time in the near future, but one that has been on my mind all the same.I've gone back through the recent contests, trying to see if this idea has been shared. It's mostly just a single continent or island, because that's safe. Every once in a while, somebody pops up with a universe spanning RPG. Or even multiple planets. Looking at things like Darkspace, there was ship vs. ship battle in space, but as would be expected with an RPG called Darkspace, it is dark. And in space. And from what I hear everybody died in the end. Sad I missed it.I feel it's safe to say it hasn't popped up in over a year now - I only went back as far as Contest 16. I didn't feel like even skimming that many RPGs, and the ones before that were even bigger contests.But somehow, nobody has done any kind of sea-based RPG. My idea was for an RPG of that type of theme - a swashbuckling RPG, one encouraging more roleplaying (because if you're on a ship, and people have elemental powers, negotiating can prove much easier...) and player interaction (takes more than one person to be the crew of a ship, no?)So I just wanted to toss that idea around and see if it had any merit. Lots of small islands in a small area, a few small factions encouraging players to ally with them - though most encouraged of all would be players forming their own! - and a whole lot of sea to go around.If I did this, I would only have one 'big' faction, a main government of the area that keeps the smaller factions in checks. Something to discourage (but not stop!) total war and fighting from breaking out, but to lean everything over a little bit more to sabotage and treachery. The cities (I'm thinking only one, maybe two) would be the home to games of the mind, not games of slash smash crush.Though slash smash crush is fun.I don't know. It just seems like something focusing on the ADVENTURE!, on boasts and speeches rather than fireballs. Or maybe it would suck and everybody would hate it. That's why I'm here.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Hmmm, that's a pretty nice design Lev, I must admit. A kind of simpler, more elegant story rather than darker, bloodier, battle-laden RPGs you see nowadays (I feel like such an old-timer saying that.)Frankly, it has real potential, but there are certain drawbacks:In order to have ships go around trading wares, you would need people to act as captains, traders, docking officials. Unless you're running black market, in which case, the first two, plus thugs. And there may not be enough people willing to take on such a big leadership responsibility.The overall story seems kind of...flat, though seeing as this is the rough outline, that's understandable. But maybe some goals for players; the discovery of a hidden treasure trove off Nui Island, or the arrival of Bluemask's "ghost ship". I dunno exactly, but you need to toss something out there for the players to chase after.Other than that, it seems like a pretty solid design, and an RPG I would seriously enjoy playing! Good luck! :biggrin:-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

Hmmm, that's a pretty nice design Lev, I must admit. A kind of simpler, more elegant story rather than darker, bloodier, battle-laden RPGs you see nowadays (I feel like such an old-timer saying that.)Frankly, it has real potential, but there are certain drawbacks:In order to have ships go around trading wares, you would need people to act as captains, traders, docking officials. Unless you're running black market, in which case, the first two, plus thugs. And there may not be enough people willing to take on such a big leadership responsibility.The overall story seems kind of...flat, though seeing as this is the rough outline, that's understandable. But maybe some goals for players; the discovery of a hidden treasure trove off Nui Island, or the arrival of Bluemask's "ghost ship". I dunno exactly, but you need to toss something out there for the players to chase after.Other than that, it seems like a pretty solid design, and an RPG I would seriously enjoy playing! Good luck! :biggrin:-Void

There's certainly truth in those words. Definitely would need a bigger map - perhaps a small area of the Southern Islands, back when the universe was new and still largely unexplored. Lots of rumors and stuff. An incentive to get players to group together and get their ships ready in a race to get the treasure.Because nothing gets players going like in-game rewards. :PAnd as per leadership responsibility, I feel that players would step forward in situations. Who knows. In such a scenario, perhaps a newer player might find themselves well suited to the role.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

There's certainly truth in those words. Definitely would need a bigger map - perhaps a small area of the Southern Islands, back when the universe was new and still largely unexplored. Lots of rumors and stuff. An incentive to get players to group together and get their ships ready in a race to get the treasure.Because nothing gets players going like in-game rewards. :PAnd as per leadership responsibility, I feel that players would step forward in situations. Who knows. In such a scenario, perhaps a newer player might find themselves well suited to the role.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:
You have my interest with this concept. I think a lot of RPGs these days tend to lean closer toward the high tech or low-tech. And I do love it. But there is something to be said about the middle ground, where you have technology, but it's not that advanced.Not to mention, I think that an RPG like this could work very well, with the right plot, incentives, and management.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Haven't seen a swashbuckling RPG in a while. An RPG based around a treasure hunt or something rather than just smashing your enemies as much as possible would be [acronym=says the guy with an RPG based solely around smashing your enemies as much as possible :P]a nice change[/acronym].Would give the game direction too, it wouldn't be just an open sandbox

7AOYGDJ.jpg