Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

I saw a few posts on Tumblr about this. One was about this guy who works at a factory that makes like labels for stands or something and LEGO hired them to make some that say "Bionicle." Another was a picture of a stand, like a promotional store display, with Bionicle sets on it. It wasn't very clear, but one of the sets looked a lot like an upgraded Tahu. I can't post the images here, but needless to say I'm excited if this true.

Was it the one with the spiders and Tahu look-a-like was reaching for a mask?

Yep. Kopaka was there too, on the bottom shelf.

• Upvote 1

Fake or not, A reminder that LEAKED IMAGES ARE STILL AGAINST BZP's RULES.

Thank you.

Does this also preclude discussion of them?

It's supposed to, yes.

Discussion of new sets and other information can wait until they are officially announced by LEGO or through its partners. 

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 1

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Unless Bionicle's return is well-though-out, I'd rather not have it return.

I hear this opinion a lot. My opinion is slightly different. Considering how much more difficult a successful BIONICLE revival would be than creating a new theme from the ground up, I am confident that BIONICLE wouldn't be brought back unless the LEGO Group were prepared to devote the appropriate thought and care into doing so.

How is your opinion different exactly? You're both saying you wouldn't want it back unless it had a good story.

Something I agree with entirely.

Whereas Unglued Bike left the possibility open that Lego could bring Bionicle back badly, and he would like to preclude that from happening. 

I'm sorry I don't recall myself saying that. Could you possibly quote? I never keep track of things these days.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Honestly, I don't think I want Bionicle to be back. I love Bionicle and stuff, but the way the plot has been dealed with in the last years gave me the impression that LEGO simply didn't care about it anymore.

Also, all the Media, like the games, videos, comics, etc that surronded the theme in its beginning was also pretty mediocre in the last years.

And what about the sets ? The last year of piece innovation was in 2006. After that, all Bionicle sets were basically Inika clones.

Personally I disagree, and feel like the FIRST year of real innovation for canister sets was 2007. That year we got the Barraki and Toa Mahri, both of which introduced some amazingly useful parts (the new shells from Takadox, Kalmah, Carapar, and Matoro all could attach to beams in far more ways than earlier shell pieces, which could generally only attach to the front and back of a beam). But more importantly, the sets reused existing parts in creative ways instead of relying on specialized new parts to create a shallow sense of variety. Not one of the sets was a true "clone set" except for the Matoran and Hydruka, which were themselves creative builds. Before that, nearly EVERY small or medium set had been a near-exact copy of at least three other sets in the same series. It's no impressive feat to design a set like the Vahki that relies on new, super-specialized pieces to create an artificial sense of uniqueness. But creating a model like Mantax, Toa Mahri Matoro, Gorast, or Strakk that uses old and new parts alike in new and creative ways? That is the very essence of LEGO, and it is an achievement worthy of great praise.

At any rate, evidence for BIONICLE's return is finally mounting. I won't go into specifics, but I am optimistic for BIONICLE's future.

• Upvote 2

**Passes out from extreme fangirling, increased tenfold because Makuta Jester and Madu Cabolo were over**

Phew, I've recovered. Maybe.

All of this [mysterious allude, mysterious allude] is reminding me somewhat of last April? You know the time. When some ajhgasdkfh hacked GregF's account and... yeah

UNFAIR

But the possibility has just bumped up a level, in my opinion. A small level, to be sure, but a level nonetheless.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Unless Bionicle's return is well-though-out, I'd rather not have it return.

I hear this opinion a lot. My opinion is slightly different. Considering how much more difficult a successful BIONICLE revival would be than creating a new theme from the ground up, I am confident that BIONICLE wouldn't be brought back unless the LEGO Group were prepared to devote the appropriate thought and care into doing so.

How is your opinion different exactly? You're both saying you wouldn't want it back unless it had a good story.

Something I agree with entirely.

Whereas Unglued Bike left the possibility open that Lego could bring Bionicle back badly, and he would like to preclude that from happening. 

I'm sorry I don't recall myself saying that. Could you possibly quote? I never keep track of things these days.

Sorry, I meant Just Norik. I guess I got your names confused somehow. 

Also, a Tahu-resembling leaked image is not proof of anything. Getting one's hopes up only to be disappointed is not advised. 

• Upvote 2

We've had rumours like this every year since Bionicle's end. People can easily fake set images (remember the fake Toa Nuva designs for 2008). I have no doubt that this will be the same.

This is a good point, but to quote other members, this Des guy has been right before about upcoming stuff. It's possible he made a mistake, or have even been pranking us, but it's not exactly the same.

Edited by Mairanui
  • Upvote 1

2xu8Ptu.png

We've had rumours like this every year since Bionicle's end. People can easily fake set images (remember the fake Toa Nuva designs for 2008). I have no doubt that this will be the same.

This is a good point, but to quote other members, this Des guy has been right before about upcoming stuff. It's possible he made a mistake, or have even been pranking us, but it's not exactly the same.

I know Des, he wouldn't distribute fake images. And as other people have pointed out, he has leaked legitimate stuff before. I'm pretty sure that these are real.

Also, I've never heard about the fake Toa Nuva designs. Does anyone know where I can see them?

Edited by doodleloot

Hail Denmark

Y'all are glorifying someone who either a) is passing off fake leaks as legitimate or b) broke an NDA (and effectively the law) with a company you allegedly support.

Let's hold speculation until we get actual word, ok?

• Upvote 4

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Y'all are glorifying someone who either a) is passing off fake leaks as legitimate or b) broke an NDA (and effectively the law) with a company you allegedly support.

We're not glorifying him. All we're saying is that he's a reliable source and that he wouldn't distribute fakes.

• Upvote 3

Hail Denmark

Honestly, I don't think I want Bionicle to be back. I love Bionicle and stuff, but the way the plot has been dealed with in the last years gave me the impression that LEGO simply didn't care about it anymore.

Also, all the Media, like the games, videos, comics, etc that surronded the theme in its beginning was also pretty mediocre in the last years.

And what about the sets ? The last year of piece innovation was in 2006. After that, all Bionicle sets were basically Inika clones.

Personally I disagree, and feel like the FIRST year of real innovation for canister sets was 2007. That year we got the Barraki and Toa Mahri, both of which introduced some amazingly useful parts (the new shells from Takadox, Kalmah, Carapar, and Matoro all could attach to beams in far more ways than earlier shell pieces, which could generally only attach to the front and back of a beam). But more importantly, the sets reused existing parts in creative ways instead of relying on specialized new parts to create a shallow sense of variety. Not one of the sets was a true "clone set" except for the Matoran and Hydruka, which were themselves creative builds. Before that, nearly EVERY small or medium set had been a near-exact copy of at least three other sets in the same series. It's no impressive feat to design a set like the Vahki that relies on new, super-specialized pieces to create an artificial sense of uniqueness. But creating a model like Mantax, Toa Mahri Matoro, Gorast, or Strakk that uses old and new parts alike in new and creative ways? That is the very essence of LEGO, and it is an achievement worthy of great praise.

At any rate, evidence for BIONICLE's return is finally mounting. I won't go into specifics, but I am optimistic for BIONICLE's future.

Do you have any evidence for this or is it just a hunch.

(im just talking about the last line)

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

We're not glorifying him. All we're saying is that he's a reliable source and that he wouldn't distribute fakes.

Yeah, "glorifying" is entirely the wrong word. Yes, he may have done something incredibly stupid that may yet cost him his job, and maybe that makes him untrustworthy as far as Lego and his employer are concerned. But he's not the kind of troll who would fake this sort of thing for a cheap laugh, so I'm going to go ahead and trust that he's telling the truth. That's not "glorifying": that's realistically considering the evidence I'm dealt.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I happen to have encountered said individual elsewhere online. Can't say that I completely trust him, but at the same time I find it hard to believe he'd make something like this up.

Whatever it is, we'll just have to wait for an official announcement. Maybe at Comic-Con? (Or, worst case, no announcement and we'll know it's fake.)

I see your point, but what can I say ? I guess I like clone sets, at least for Toa.  :P And in my opinion, reusing old pieces in a new way to make sets isn't "inovation" at all, even with new pieces, but hey its just my view  :shrugs:

Difference this time is that it's an array of different designs (I count seven) with a pretty fancy looking promotional image. I don't think someone would go to that much effort just to mess some fans around.

This could go either way.

Difference this time is that it's an array of different designs (I count seven) with a pretty fancy looking promotional image. I don't think someone would go to that much effort just to mess some fans around.

This could go either way.

Yeah, but lets say they did. They must be getting a real kick out of the people who say what you're saying now. I'm not saying that's the case, I'm saying it's a possibility. I still say we let it set for a bit before too much happens, maybe look for more legitimate evidence.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Plus, if he was faking, why would he have added the strange bit at the bottom about the "wobbler"?

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

Plus, if he was faking, why would he have added the strange bit at the bottom about the "wobbler"?

But are those words about Bionicle? Two other things have edges just visible near to the words that might be what the words relate to instead.

On a random note, "seperately" should have an 'a' in place of the second 'e'.

Wow. It's been years, but I cannot deny I just about died whaen I saw them. Legit or not, I can't say I mind he design direction.

Eurgh... Wish I could say more, but suffice to say I'm very happy to return to the fandom if this happens. I only hope the masks are still compatable.

pony_season_2.jpg

they seem legit to me. Also keep in mind that TTV says it is 100% real.

Well, we aren't the source, so you should totally take everything we say with skepticism. We certainly do. But we do also have reason to believe that there is more truth to it than meets the eye.

• Upvote 1

I for one don't see what point there is in worrying about being fooled by somebody. If somebody is good enough at photoshop to fool us, then there's no honor lost in being fooled (after all, these images already look more "real" than any BIONICLE concepts I've seen in about five years, so if they're fakes they're very clever fakes).

On the other hand, if these do turn out to be legit, all the people who nitpicked tiny details that made these images seem "fake" are probably going to feel pretty silly, especially since there'd be nobody to blame for tricking you but yourself.

Obviously, you're welcome to decide for yourself whether you are or aren't convinced, but don't be a skeptic just because you think there's something shameful about being tricked by a skilled trickster.

• Upvote 4

>be 2015
>bionicle returns
>still got awful gender ratios
>romance still isn’t canon
>introduces ten plots in the first year alone
>tfw bionicle will always have awful writing

if the same people who write HF get together with the story team for Bionicle we could have the formula for the most incoherent, morally-ambiguous story in any children's toyline.

• Upvote 5

I for one don't see what point there is in worrying about being fooled by somebody. If somebody is good enough at photoshop to fool us, then there's no honor lost in being fooled (after all, these images already look more "real" than any BIONICLE concepts I've seen in about five years, so if they're fakes they're very clever fakes).

On the other hand, if these do turn out to be legit, all the people who nitpicked tiny details that made these images seem "fake" are probably going to feel pretty silly, especially since there'd be nobody to blame for tricking you but yourself.

Obviously, you're welcome to decide for yourself whether you are or aren't convinced, but don't be a skeptic just because you think there's something shameful about being tricked by a skilled trickster.

Which is, honestly, a major reason I'm riding the fence (for the most part) on this one.

lol'ing at this Onua Nuva

Since when is he green...and...using a zamor launcher....

morally-ambiguous

Not entirely sure, but are you implying that Bionicle was morally-ambiguous? I'd have to disagree on that.

I mean, even just the lyrics to Hero.

Edited by Kopekemaster

But if BIONICLE do return, I hope it's not a sequel, since there is nothing else left to explore in Spherus Magna, IMO, the serials are doing a pretty good job on it's own (And I hope they return one day :().

...What are you talking about? Spherus Magna is an entire planet, and the story only explored it for a year and a half-ish. There's so much more potential on Spherus Magna than there ever was in the MU.

>be 2015

>bionicle returns

if the same people who write HF get together with the story team for Bionicle we could have the formula for the most incoherent, morally-ambiguous story in any children's toyline.

...Yes, that's my worry. I like the look of the sets in the leaked image, but what I'm really concerned about is the story. The last thing I want is for the HF writers to mangle my childhood.
  • Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

morally-ambiguous

Not entirely sure, but are you implying that Bionicle was morally-ambiguous? I'd have to disagree on that.

I mean, even just the lyrics to Hero.

Hero Factory was more of what I was alluding to as far as moral ambiguity, just as Bionicle was more of what I was alluding to for incoherency

>be 2015

>bionicle returns

Well, you're probably right about the gender ratios (most of TLG's story themes still have it as bad or worse than BIONICLE did), but honestly I think it's possible to get a high-quality BIONICLE story. Ninjago has a pretty good story, after all, as does The LEGO Movie. Speaking of which, both of those also have romance, so I can easily imagine the LEGO Group going back on their earlier, stupid, mostly imaginary romance ban.

>be 2015

>bionicle returns

Well, you're probably right about the gender ratios (most of TLG's story themes still have it as bad or worse than BIONICLE did), but honestly I think it's possible to get a high-quality BIONICLE story. Ninjago has a pretty good story, after all, as does The LEGO Movie. Speaking of which, both of those also have romance, so I can easily imagine the LEGO Group going back on their earlier, stupid, mostly imaginary romance ban.

The LEGO Movie was written for a big theatre movie, which has higher standards for writing (at least i like to think so; the transformers movies continue to shake that belief) than a side toyline. Ninjago's storyline has never been my cup of tea, so I can't speak for that.

I'd say the romance ban is likely simply for an attempt at consistency with the earlier story.

lol'ing at this Onua Nuva

Since when is he green...and...using a zamor launcher....

Are you implying Orange Pohatu was much more faithful to the original?

Well, at least, there weren't any other Toa on the same team that were already that colour.

...Yes, that's my worry. I like the look of the sets in the leaked image, but what I'm really concerned about is the story. The last thing I want is for the HF writers to mangle my childhood.
I'm not sure why we're immediately assuming that HF writers will be in charge of this only possible Bionicle reboot. I certainly don't want that to happen. We'll just have to see.

so I can easily imagine the LEGO Group going back on their earlier, stupid, mostly imaginary romance ban

Plus, the inhabitants of Spherus Magna are more-biological (? still not sure on really the percentages/if that even really matters), so they can't say that they don't have emotions or whatever (even that, though, did get retcon-ed somewhat).

bluh y u do this bzp

Ignore the quote problems above.

Edited by Kopekemaster

But if BIONICLE do return, I hope it's not a sequel, since there is nothing else left to explore in Spherus Magna, IMO, the serials are doing a pretty good job on it's own (And I hope they return one day :().

...What are you talking about? Spherus Magna is an entire planet, and the story only explored it for a year and a half-ish. There's so much more potential on Spherus Magna than there ever was in the MU.

Yeah maybe, but... idk, the only thing left to do is to find the great beings and stop Marendar, basically.

I would like to see these in the serials, I don't think there's a need for a new set line. 

Edited by HoloTheWise

they seem legit to me. Also keep in mind that TTV says it is 100% real.

Well, we aren't the source, so you should totally take everything we say with skepticism. We certainly do. But we do also have reason to believe that there is more truth to it than meets the eye.

elaborate please

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

I doubt it's coming back.

It hasn't even been five years since it ended. Why would LEGO revive a theme that was already failing in its later years? Nine years or so was enough. LEGO can come up with new ideas, they don't need to resort to old ones. I'd much rather see a new theme than a revived old one.

If there are leaked images, I'm going to believe they're bootlegs with modern parts stuck to them and photoshopped onto a box. Those 08 'nuva leaks' earlier in the topic, that's also why I choose to believe this.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

It hasn't even been five years since it ended. Why would LEGO revive a theme that was already failing in its later years? Nine years or so was enough. LEGO can come up with new ideas, they don't need to resort to old ones. I'd much rather see a new theme than a revived old one.

If there are leaked images, I'm going to believe they're bootlegs with modern parts stuck to them and photoshopped onto a box. Those 08 'nuva leaks' earlier in the topic, that's also why I choose to believe this.

Pulse, at least one of the two leaked images is almost certainly real. I get the feeling that you haven't seen either of them. Almost everyone is agreeing that they're likely from TLG, because of their realism.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Pulse, at least one of the two leaked images is almost certainly real. I get the feeling that you haven't seen either of them. Almost everyone is agreeing that they're likely from TLG, because of their realism.

There are no new leaked images of Bionicle because Bionicle ended in 2010, if there are, they are very likely to be fake, using some sort of MoCs or bootlegs with more modern pieces slapped on, photoshopped onto some boxes, and then those boxes probably had a poor-quality photograph taken of them. 

It ended in 2010. It's time to let go of Bionicle and move on. LEGO's creative enough to come up with a new theme. Why would they 'revive' an old one?  There's no need to beat a dead horse that is likely now decaying. Find a new horse, that is, LEGO's probably creating a new constraction theme.

Edited by Pulse

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.