Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

LEGO's creative enough to come up with a new theme. Why would they 'revive' an old one?

Simple. LEGO makes new themes all the time. It's not every year LEGO brings back a beloved theme. Similar to how LEGO ended BIONICLE to create a new theme was interseting enough to get on the cover of the toyfair magazine, bringing back a great theme is more interesting than just another new theme.

Edited by JrMasterModelBuilder

Are signatures still a thing?

All right everyone, listen up

My warnings have been mostly ignored up to this point so let's make it a little clearer to understand.

If the leaks are real - Then we shouldn't be discussing them until Lego has officially released information. Then you can chatter until the cows come home. This has always been a rule. This goes for the Blogs, too.

If the leaks are fake -  Then we don't have anything further to discuss.

I'm going to start deleting posts if I have to. Put your anticipation on hold until more information comes to light so I don't have to break up any verbal fisticuffs, all right?

You may now continue to silently curse me behind my back for ruining the fun.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 7

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I doubt it's coming back.

It hasn't even been five years since it ended. Why would LEGO revive a theme that was already failing in its later years? Nine years or so was enough. LEGO can come up with new ideas, they don't need to resort to old ones. I'd much rather see a new theme than a revived old one.

Because the theme wasn't really failing in its later years. It wasn't doing nearly as well as it had been at its peak, but part of the reason the LEGO Group ended it when they did was so that it would still be remembered as a strong seller by retailers, instead of keeping it going until it truly WAS remembered as a failure.

I'd also love to see new themes, but reviving an old one doesn't preclude continuing to come out with new ones.

(I think this post should be OK since I'm not discussing the images, just the rumor of BIONICLE's return)

Pretty sure TheThreeVirtues confirmed the pictures were real. So we can stop discussing the pictures now.

Edited by Makaru
Actually, they -speculated- they were real, as they do not represent The Lego Company.

AΨ 94

"Actually, they -speculated- they were real, as they do not represent The Lego Company."

Pretty much this. We're preeeeeetty confident of its legitimacy but nothing can be 100% confirmed until later on in the year when we start hearing about concrete set releases.

-Mesonak

• Upvote 2

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

"Actually, they -speculated- they were real, as they do not represent The Lego Company."

Pretty much this. We're preeeeeetty confident of its legitimacy but nothing can be 100% confirmed until later on in the year when we start hearing about concrete set releases.

-Mesonak

Does Lego usually announce sets around certain times, depending on wave, or do they announce them whenever the heck they feel like? I feel like I should know the answer to this, but it ain't comin'.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

-Mesonak

Does Lego usually announce sets around certain times, depending on wave, or do they announce them whenever the heck they feel like? I feel like I should know the answer to this, but it ain't comin'.

Lego rarely "announces" set lines in general, except for special exceptions where they give press releases (like with the recent Lego Fusion).

What ends up happening is a routine that begins around August-September where people start to get their hands on the Retailer Catalog for the upcoming year and begin to share info/take pictures and post them on various websites. Then, in September-October, leaked pictures begin to emerge on retailer sites and we get pricing info. Then, later on in the year, around December, the sets become available and we start to see finalized images.

Only images that do not feature the "confidential" watermark and are clearly not leaked are viable for discussion on BZPower, so basically only finalized pictures. :P

-Mesonak

Edited by Meso Zehvor

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Saying that anything is true or not based on unofficial and leaked images is a foolhardy endeavor. Just because BIONICLE has a chance of coming back does not mean that it will come back, nor does it mean that it would come back in a recognizable form.

I don't want to feel like I'm raining on parades here, but let's be realistic - this is nothing more than wild mass speculation. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't excited, since BIONICLE was a huge part of my childhood and I'd love to see it come back in a way that recaptures the mystery of the early years, but I've learned not to get too excited over things that are not confirmed and possibly never will be.

• Upvote 5

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Saying that anything is true or not based on unofficial and leaked images is a foolhardy endeavor. Just because BIONICLE has a chance of coming back does not mean that it will come back, nor does it mean that it would come back in a recognizable form.

I don't want to feel like I'm raining on parades here, but let's be realistic - this is nothing more than wild mass speculation. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't excited, since BIONICLE was a huge part of my childhood and I'd love to see it come back in a way that recaptures the mystery of the early years, but I've learned not to get too excited over things that are not confirmed and possibly never will be.

Well said! I was unfortunately jumping up and down in my chair in excitement last night, before realizing that the images were not definite confirmation. But yes, if Bionicle comes back they need to keep it like the originals, that means collectible kanohi, more functions and technic style builds, and a new, mysterious story line.

(IS this post ok Makaru?)

Edited by Makaru
This one's cool.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Just in case anyone is wondering...

If it turns out Bionicle does return, YES, I will continue to work on Nova Orbis and the story I had in mind will play out as I've planned it regardless of what comes to pass in the official canon. Just think of it as an alternate future.

• Upvote 2

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Question regarding leaked images in general: If someone took pictures of a retail catalog, as often happens before the release of a new set, would the images they took be considered leaked?

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

Question regarding leaked images in general: If someone took pictures of a retail catalog, as often happens before the release of a new set, would the images they took be considered leaked?

Yes, they would, considering that the retail catalogs are confidential (and in fact, almost every image in retailer catalogs is watermarked with a message saying so).

Normally retail catalogs are the first leaks we end up seeing, and it's quite unusual to get leaks (especially ones with pictures) this early in the year. Not impossible, given the high lead-time on development of sets, but not typical by a long shot.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Pretty sure TheThreeVirtues confirmed the pictures were real.

And we always believe 100% of everything we hear, don't we?

If Bionicle were to come back next year... I'm not sure I would want it to be HF style. I hate building HF sets. They're far too simple and plain-looking, and so easy to make. It takes like two minutes.

And if it does come back next year... it had better be some form of continuation of the old story. That's what made Bionicle so appealing over the years.

• Upvote 1

Let me share my two bits on this situation.

Even if Bionicle is coming back, I wouldn't buy more than 6 sets max.

I don't want my childhood to be drilled down from its grave.

I want it to rest in piece Pun intented

• Upvote 1

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.

This

• Upvote 1

Feel free to do that. I, however, would be very interested in picking them up. Think about a return as a second arc or a new beginning. No matter what it does, it can't take away from the childhood you had. Better yet, it could actually become the big thing for many kids living today.

Edited by Shadow Destroyer
  • Upvote 2

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I just don't understand.

Sorry?

You know, this whole "I hope they don't bring it back. It'll ruin my childhood," shpeal that a few people have said.

I agree, who wouldn't want Bionicle back? As long as Lego play their cards right, then it will be fine. I guess that's what you lot are worrying about.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

My personal issue with them bringing Bionicle back is I do not want them to carry on the trend they ended it with.

Firstly, all the designs wound up being samey, using the same giant blocky pieces to make the bodies with little variation on limbs. Masks that were increasingly incompatible with the older designs. Some of the biggest digs on Hero Factory is that we keep getting the same designs with little variation which is the same issue that I found was detrimental to Bionicle.

Secondly, the story was gradually getting darker and more serious in tone to a point of just being unpleasant and convoluted. It suffered a lot of growing pains with seemingly no real direction outside of the [DON'T GET ME WRONG very interesting and exciting] Mata Nui is the thing they live in central concept. It was hard to get invested in a fantasy technorganic steampunk adventure that was just SO DEPRESSING.

And I know a big fear in a lot of fans who've dug in for the long haul are afraid that if it comes back it will just be more of what made it uninteresting and increasingly unsuccessful in the first place.

And a lot of what I just said I didn't realize I did not like UNTIL I had just wrote this post and now I want to do a whole opinion piece so THANKS A LOT BZPOWER now I have to go write a script.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 5

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

My personal issue with them bringing Bionicle back is I do not want them to carry on the trend they ended it with.

Firstly, all the designs wound up being samey, using the same giant blocky pieces to make the bodies with little variation on limbs. Masks that were increasingly incompatible with the older designs. Some of the biggest digs on Hero Factory is that we keep getting the same designs with little variation which is the same issue that I found was detrimental to Bionicle.

Secondly, the story was gradually getting darker and more serious in tone to a point of just being unpleasant and convoluted. It suffered a lot of growing pains with seemingly no real direction outside of the [DON'T GET ME WRONG very interesting and exciting] Mata Nui is the thing they live in central concept. It was hard to get invested in a fantasy technorganic steampunk adventure that was just SO DEPRESSING.

And I know a big fear in a lot of fans who've dug in for the long haul are afraid that if it comes back it will just be more of what made it uninteresting and increasingly unsuccessful in the first place.

And a lot of what I just said I didn't realize I did not like UNTIL I had just wrote this post and now I want to do a whole opinion piece so THANKS A LOT BZPOWER now I have to go write a script.

You pretty much summed up everything.

I hope we get to see this script, lol

The curse of the Inika build.

Edited by HoloTheWise
  • Upvote 1

I just don't understand.

Sorry?

You know, this whole "I hope they don't bring it back. It'll ruin my childhood," shpeal that a few people have said. I just don't get it.

I believe that what they are expressing is a fear of seeing something they loved so dearly brought back in a mangled form. I think that's understandable. I myself would be happy for a return, provided that it is handled well, but I see why some might be worried, given how sequels and remakes tend to turn out (in Hollywood, at least.) Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I'm astonished that you'd set such a high maximum for something you seem to be so vehemently against. "Drilled out of its grave"? Seriously?

Personally I'd be fine with a Bionicle return. As Aanchir has said, if LEGO didn't have a plan and a vision for it going forward, they wouldn't bring it back in the first place. And I can only imagine that a Bionicle return would start fresh with a new story, seeing as it'd be impractical to expect new fans to track down old story resources, so there's little fear of the story getting bogged down with old plot threads, at least not right off the bat. At the very least, I'd be willing to give the new story the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming it would be awful from the get-go, as some people seem eager to do.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I just don't understand.

Sorry?

You know, this whole "I hope they don't bring it back. It'll ruin my childhood," shpeal that a few people have said. I just don't get it.

Think of it like this,

When you were a child there was a special brand of ice cream you really, really like for some reason. But when you grew up, the company discontinued that brand for some reason.

Then, later on your life, they bring that said Brand, Only to screw up what made it good to you in the first place.

That is what I fear what will happen to Bionicle, should they bring it back.

• Upvote 1

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.

If Bionicle were to come back next year... I'm not sure I would want it to be HF style. I hate building HF sets. They're far too simple and plain-looking, and so easy to make. It takes like two minutes.

I'm always a little bit puzzled when I hear things like this. It seems to me like a lot of people either were worse builders when they were kids or they fail to remember just how simplistic many BIONICLE sets were. Once you understood the building system it was possible to build most BIONICLE canister sets without even looking at the instructions.

Furthermore, I've never understood the idea that a build that takes longer is more rewarding. Most of what set BIONICLE sets apart from Hero Factory sets is that most pieces could not be connected without axles and pins. By that logic, the ideal action figure set would be like an Erector set, requiring you to use real screws, nuts, and bolts to attach any pieces together. Hey, it would take longer, so surely it would be more rewarding!

But just for argument's sake, let's look at how Hero Factory measures up to BIONICLE in terms of complexity. The small Hero Factory sets in Hero Factory 2012 had between 36 and 45 pieces (40.75 on average) and cost $9 each. The Toa Mata had between 30 and 49 pieces (36 on average) and cost $7 each (a little over $9 when adjusted for inflation). The Vahki had exactly 32 pieces each and cost $9 each (nearly $11 when adjusted for inflation). The Piraka had between 41 or 42 pieces (41.33 on average) and cost $9 each ($10.25 when adjusted for inflation).

Now, you might argue that Hero Factory sets' piece counts can be inflated by small detail pieces like teeth, chain links, and spines, just as BIONICLE sets' piece counts can be inflated by small pins, axles, and ammo pieces. Doesn't really matter. Toxic Reapa included only three such pieces (two Technic pins and a Hero Core, the last of which was not used in the model), but it still contained 42 pieces — as much as any Piraka, more than any Vahki, and more than all of the Toa Mata but Pohatu. You might also argue that the Vahki were pitiful even for their time, and you'd be right, but I don't think a lot of people would say the same thing about the Toa Mata (or the Toa Nuva, whose $8 price and 36-44 pieces each yield very similar results).

I know piece counts aren't everything, naturally. But I thought I'd offer a bit of context.

EDIT: And regarding continuing the trends that BIONICLE had towards its end, I wouldn't have complained a bit about that back then. 2006 to 2009 were great years for BIONICLE sets, with the introduction of versatile torso pieces that didn't wear out their usefulness in two years, the introduction of shell pieces that could attach to multiple sides of a beam instead of just the front or back, and the death of the clone set.

Today, of course, I'm glad that we are unlikely to see Inika builds again, because Hero Factory's new building system has taken all of the improvements made in the last few years of BIONICLE so much further in the meantime. Hero Factory sets have gotten more and more complex and diverse since the new building system was introduced, and I fully expect a revived BIONICLE to continue that trend — especially since a LEGO part designer on another site guaranteed that Hero Factory's Character & Creature Building System (CCBS) is here to stay, no matter what is in store for constraction sets in 2015.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Upvote 1

Personally, I understand the hesitancy about welcoming Bionicle back. When you compare stories like Takanuva's adventures through the multiverse to something like Ninjago, it's apparent that Lego's storytelling has changed a bit. I'm not even going to mention Hero Factory's "story." And I'll probably get some complaints on that remark, but ah well. The point is that if Bionicle is coming back, the story will not be the same. Lego's learned their lesson. You want more fans to join your line? Don't make the story all complicated and require them to buy all the books and read online stories and comics in order to get an idea of what's going on with these action figures. I can understand that though. During the whole Inika arc, I couldn't afford any of the books and didn't bother looking online, then came onto BS01 years later and found out all these things that had happened that weren't in the comics. I just hope they can find that delicate balance between complicated enough to be interesting, but simple enough you don't have to read for three days straight to catch up on the year. If they can pull that off, I'll welcome it with open arms, but that's a fine line to toe.

Also, I really hope we get at least some new building techniques. I'm getting pretty tired of just placing a torso, snapping on some limbs and armor, then ending up with a rather gappy looking set. Lego is getting better, but I agree that more technic and functions would be amazing. I'm sure there will be new masks and armor pieces to use, but I'd prefer something a bit more interesting and different to welcome the old line back. Otherwise, it will just feel like a rerelease of Hero Factory with some new story.

• Upvote 3

EDIT: And regarding continuing the trends that BIONICLE had towards its end, I wouldn't have complained a bit about that back then. 2006 to 2009 were great years for BIONICLE sets, with the introduction of versatile torso pieces that didn't wear out their usefulness in two years, the introduction of shell pieces that could attach to multiple sides of a beam instead of just the front or back, and the death of the clone set.

Today, of course, I'm glad that we are unlikely to see Inika builds again, because Hero Factory's new building system has taken all of the improvements made in the last few years of BIONICLE so much further in the meantime. Hero Factory sets have gotten more and more complex and diverse since the new building system was introduced, and I fully expect a revived BIONICLE to continue that trend — especially since a LEGO part designer on another site guaranteed that Hero Factory's Character & Creature Building System (CCBS) is here to stay, no matter what is in store for constraction sets in 2015.

You are quite literally the only person on BZP who I have ever found who likes the Inika build. (Apart from my glorious self)

As for the actual topic,...

I need Bionicle back. I love constraction, and I love convoluted sagas, so Bionicle was (And fingers crossed will be) perfect for me. I just hope that they either:

A. Use the Chima Ultrabuild style pieces or:

B. Add in HF compatible pieces which have a Bionicle aesthetic.

And finally, to say what I said on the latest TTV Podcast in regard to the hype-train,

I've got a First-Class ticket on board that train.  :D

VBWj75sh.png

Personally, I understand the hesitancy about welcoming Bionicle back. When you compare stories like Takanuva's adventures through the multiverse to something like Ninjago, it's apparent that Lego's storytelling has changed a bit. I'm not even going to mention Hero Factory's "story." And I'll probably get some complaints on that remark, but ah well. The point is that if Bionicle is coming back, the story will not be the same. Lego's learned their lesson. You want more fans to join your line? Don't make the story all complicated and require them to buy all the books and read online stories and comics in order to get an idea of what's going on with these action figures. I can understand that though. During the whole Inika arc, I couldn't afford any of the books and didn't bother looking online, then came onto BS01 years later and found out all these things that had happened that weren't in the comics. I just hope they can find that delicate balance between complicated enough to be interesting, but simple enough you don't have to read for three days straight to catch up on the year. If they can pull that off, I'll welcome it with open arms, but that's a fine line to toe.

Very, very true. The over-complicated story and great difficulty in following it (much worse for non-North Americans who couldn't buy the books) are problems Bionicle needs to avoid if it is to make the most of a second chance.

Very, very true. The over-complicated story and great difficulty in following it (much worse for non-North Americans who couldn't buy the books) are problems Bionicle needs to avoid if it is to make the most of a second chance.

I do think we need a longer story that would carry over somewhat every year, so it wouldn't become a Hero Factory clone...

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I do think we need a longer story that would carry over somewhat every year, so it wouldn't become a Hero Factory clone...

Well, Ninjago shows that the LEGO Group is still willing to do that. It's not as though Hero Factory is a template for any and all future LEGO story themes.

Okay, I'm gonna lay some more cards on the table here.

If Bionicle did come back, I'd want it to drop all the previous loose ends. Forget about them. Greg had his chance to finish that up. We're past that. Done. Over with. Finished. If this line is going to attract new fans instead of scaring them away, the story needs to be a fresh tale, with some of the general lore (Matoran and Toa, masks, etc) tying it to the old line. I want a new mystery, new characters, new things to be excited about. I want them to take this line somewhere else instead of dwelling on the tangled web that was the old story.

Bring back some old characters to tie the two together, of course. Bring back some Toa Mata, probably, perhaps in either new-yet-recognizable forms (emphasis on recognizable; i'm looking at you, Mistika) or even Turaga forms. But if we're going to have a Toa Team carrying the story, I'd rather have a fresh one than have characters someone has to drag through nine years of story to completely understand.

There should be enough references to the old story to make sure it's not completely forgotten, and to excite some old fans, but a story arc should never depend on a point made five or more years ago, because, once again, new fans should not have to slog through nine years of story just to understand what's happening.

So, yeah, that's my take on the ideal direction of the story. Give us a start almost as fresh as the very beginning of Bionicle itself. Otherwise, the story is doomed to be a mess.

Oh, and for the love of all that is holy, do not bring Makuta back. Period.

Edited by Octodad
  • Upvote 5