Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

*ignoring the discussion about sexism and whatnot*

This rumor is pretty exciting stuff. Reminds me of early 2001, waiting for BIONICLE to launch in America.

If the line really does return next year, of course I'll be happy. BUT even if it turns out to be an elaborate hoax, I'll probably end up liking whatever new constraction line they come up with. Hero Factory's been cool, and even the Ben 10 sets had their merits. :P

Story-wise, I'd like to see them cover some new ground. As someone else said, there's no point trying to put the genie back in the bottle with the whole Mata Nui = Universe thing. I also dig the idea of a "Cult of Makuta" mentioned a few posts above.

However, one important question looms:

What color do you guys think Pohatu will be?

Edited by Disciple
  • Upvote 2

As much as I would like the return of brown, I just don't see it happening. Lego got rid of the brown sets for a reason (though Ogrum did have quite a bit). He'll probably be Keetorange or tan (hopefully, at least) or something similar.

And since pretty much everybody acknowledges that the Mata will probably be back next year, I'm not sure how I feel about it. The Mata/Nuva/Phantoka/Mistika/Star sets weren't bad, and they are all amazing characters, but if we're bringing it back, I want to give some other heroes a chance to shine. I would like to see some old faces mixed with new, some of those Matoran that deserve to be Toa along with some that have already proven themselves out of the spotlight. 

As much as I would like the return of brown, I just don't see it happening. Lego got rid of the brown sets for a reason (though Ogrum did have quite a bit). He'll probably be Keetorange or tan (hopefully, at least) or something similar.

And since pretty much everybody acknowledges that the Mata will probably be back next year, I'm not sure how I feel about it. The Mata/Nuva/Phantoka/Mistika/Star sets weren't bad, and they are all amazing characters, but if we're bringing it back, I want to give some other heroes a chance to shine. I would like to see some old faces mixed with new, some of those Matoran that deserve to be Toa along with some that have already proven themselves out of the spotlight.

Hypothetically if there were leaks then those supposed leaks would supposedly suggest a darker colour scheme. Hypothetically of course. Edited by Kingslayer
  • Upvote 3

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

They also have brown in Chi Mungus, so I wouldn't say it's too unlikely we could see a brown Pohatu.

If it's a continuation, I'd love some new faces, but if it's a reboot it would only make sense to go back to basics.

They also have brown in Chi Mungus, so I wouldn't say it's too unlikely we could see a brown Pohatu.

If it's a continuation, I'd love some new faces, but if it's a reboot it would only make sense to go back to basics.

I heard that Pohatu will been a darker color than Keetorange or tan in the set.

We could use this chance to prove LEGO once and for all that we love Brown and Tan.

I hope Pohatu is brown and tan again like the 2002 Pohatu. Because I hated the orange colour scheme for the Phantoka Pohatu, even though I loved the set.

I would not mind an orange Pohatu one bit. Technically, his original brown color was already a shade of orange (specifically, Earth Orange), and had the same relationship with classic orange (Bright Orange) that Metru Blue (Earth Blue) had with Mata Blue (Bright Blue). If a compromise was needed you could split the difference and make him the same Dark Orange color as Hewkii's original mask (which is indeed still on the LEGO color palette even after all these years).

However, I can't deny that I'd get much more of a nostalgia kick from a brown Pohatu than from an orange one. And beyond that, Reddish Brown would be more useful with the current palette of CCBS parts than Dark Orange, which has not appeared in a constraction set since 2003 if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

We could use this chance to prove LEGO once and for all that we love Brown and Tan.

Here, here! I agree with you! Although I'm sure LEGO listens to the Bionicle Fanbase (BZPower, maskofdestiny.com, solismagna.com, etc).

I would mind an orange Pohatu, especially if he also was radically different appearance-wise from Pohatu. I could stand a different build with the same colors, or a similar build with slightly different colors, but what 2008 did the worst was drastically changing both their appearances and their color schemes. I think that, especially if they want to evoke the aura of 2001 with these, they should go as close to the original color schemes as possible.

• Upvote 1

I would not mind an orange Pohatu one bit. Technically, his original brown color was already a shade of orange (specifically, Earth Orange), and had the same relationship with classic orange (Bright Orange) that Metru Blue (Earth Blue) had with Mata Blue (Bright Blue). If a compromise was needed you could split the difference and make him the same Dark Orange color as Hewkii's original mask (which is indeed still on the LEGO color palette even after all these years).

However, I can't deny that I'd get much more of a nostalgia kick from a brown Pohatu than from an orange one. And beyond that, Reddish Brown would be more useful with the current palette of CCBS parts than Dark Orange, which has not appeared in a constraction set since 2003 if I'm not mistaken.

They can bring everything, just don't bring the dark colors we had with the Toa Metru please....

• Upvote 1

Like a caramel colored Pohatu?

• Upvote 1

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

They can bring everything, just don't bring the dark colors we had with the Toa Metru please....

Really? I actually kinda liked those.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Their darker color really bugs me  :( I don't know, Vakama's red isn't as charming as Tahu's or Furno's red, for example.

Their darker color really bugs me  :( I don't know, Vakama's red isn't as charming as Tahu's or Furno's red, for example.

I hope we get an 07 type. Lots if interesting combos in that year. Bright and dark combined made for a nice look IMO

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I could care less about whether Pohatu is orange or brown. What matters more to me is how similar the new mask molds are to the old ones.

Another thing, I really hope it's a continuation rather than a complete restart. First of all, that would be putting the MU cat back in it's bag. New fans that are even the slightest bit dedicated can just learn the big secret by typing in "www.biosector01.com" and looking up "Mata Nui". If they are really dedicated, they can learn the entire story before lego even gets to it! I really hope they just retcon out greg's loose ends (Kopaka and Pohatu on the red star, The Yesterday Quest, and the gold being), and just make Spherus Magna an established world (perhaps 20-30 years after the end of the original Bionicle), that way newcomers can look up the past, but don't necessarily have to know it. It's just there to help get them familiar with the characters and references to the past. Also, I support the Makuta Cultists. As I mentioned before it could be a big mystery spanning a few years as to what the bad guys are actually trying to accomplish, all leading up to the reintroduction of Makuta. They could even give him that "force of nature" feel that he had in 2001! It wouldn't make him feel like a bad guy that just keeps coming back (especially to the new fans), because A, this would be a revival(not a "oh haha jk! I got you! Didn't actually die in 2010! Psyche!", but rather he DID die and is revived.) and B, this would be the first time we've seen him since 2010. It wouldn't be immediate, I'd give it at least 3 years. 

Anyways, I'm just barfing up ideas at this point. :)

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

I'm with you on that. Brown, orange, yellow- anything would be fine by me. Was just curious about the overall sentiment on this among long-time fans.

Agreed. I greatly prefer the Mata shades. If anything, I would like Metru colors to be used mainly in combination with Mata ones (eg. Hakann, Gresh), as others have said. I'm still not entirely clear on why Mata Green no longer appears in constraction sets when it's still in use for System sets. Especially when they're always lightening the box art images (see: Kongu Mahri, this year's Cragger).

I could care less about whether Pohatu is orange or brown. What matters more to me is how similar the new mask molds are to the old ones.

Are we talking the original 2001 masks, then? If so, I'm on board.

Edited by Disciple

Orange is the New Black my favorite color, but Pohatu is just ... brown. His Phantoka incarnation always felt wrong, sort of like a corporeal manifestation from an alternate world of technicolor LEGO.

• Upvote 4

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I could care less about whether Pohatu is orange or brown.

Aha, so you DO care!

XD

Anyway, I didn't mean that I preferred the Metru colours; I just like them. I also really like the Mata colours.

And I'd hope that Pohuatu would be brown. Just seems right for him.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I honestly preferred Pohatu's original medium-brown mixed with that cream-ish color (Aanchir could probably tell me the actual name of the color =P). The light orange made him look...strange. They did a similar thing with Lewa, making him an almost neon-green. The Phantoka were not my favorite sets in terms of color schemes. And then there was Tahu in a much darker shade of red that took the "fire" out of him, for lack of better words.

-Rez

Edited by Reznas

I could care less about whether Pohatu is orange or brown.

Aha, so you DO care!

Haha! You caught that!  :P I would fix it, but it's already all over the place, so whatever.

Edited by ~garnira returns~

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

Agreed. I greatly prefer the Mata shades. If anything, I would like Metru colors to be used mainly in combination with Mata ones (eg. Hakann, Gresh), as others have said. I'm still not entirely clear on why Mata Green no longer appears in constraction sets when it's still in use for System sets. Especially when they're always lightening the box art images (see: Kongu Mahri, this year's Cragger).

Now that you mentioned, I just noticed Mata Green has disappeared for quite some time. I wonder why ?

And about Pohatu: He HAS to be brown, If not then it's not a good Pohatu  B-)

Edited by HoloTheWise

Perhaps they could use the green from this set in place of Mata green? It's a *chuckles* MARVELous color...

Meh, it would look pretty ugly on pretty much any Bionicle, save a couple. Just my opinion.

But seriously, Lewa in that color? Please, no...

-Rez

Perhaps they could use the green from this set in place of Mata green? It's a *chuckles* MARVELous color... Even though he's DC.

I see what you did there !  :D

Isn't this Mata Green already, tho ? At least I can't see a difference.

Edited by HoloTheWise

One of my best friends is a member of this site.

I think I'm missing something here...

So if every one started calling tahu a girl he could would be female? Also people are saying that it is the personality that makes them male or female. Dalu is a total tom boy but she was still a girl. I know that was one example but i am sure there are more like it. I think that instead of male and female in bionicle it was more like the elements being the genders. Each element had a steryo type personality. SInce there were no reproductive organs personality would be the only way to tell if you are male or female.

Of cource the reason the girl/boy raio in bionicle was 5-1 was probably just beacause it was more focused on boys then girls. No big sexist plot by the creators of lego. :P

Not quite. When people said that the pronouns used to refer to the characters is what gave them their gender, they mean the pronouns that the books and authors use. For example, the narration always calls Tahu "he," so we know that Tahu is a boy. If some random Matoran were to decide to call Tahu a woman, or "she," that wouldn't make Tahu any less of a boy. We assume that the narration knows Tahu's true gender identity and selects the correct pronouns to fit it; we think this because the narration is generally omniscient, or told from a perfectly-informed outside perspective.

Similarly, Dalu was always referred to using "she" types of pronouns. A sentence involving Dalu might read, "Dalu looked at her arms and saw she had been badly hurt." This shows that Dalu, as tomboyish and pugnacious as she may be, was still comfortable being a girl. After all, in real life, a boy can be feminine without considering himself a girl, or a girl can be masculine without considering herself a boy. Personality is much more complex than just "boys like to fight, girls like to cook"--and I think you'll agree that no one is really that one-sided. If we were, that sure would be boring!

Now, I'm also somewhat sympathetic to the idea of each element essentially being a "gender" in Matoran society (i.e., a set of personality traits, societal expectations, etc.), but that still doesn't answer the question of what makes certain Matoran identify as "girls" and others as "boys." After all, if each element were distinct, we would need a dozen pronouns: one for Ta-Matoran, another for Ga-Matoran, another for Ce-Matoran, and so on. Instead, we only have the pronouns "he" and "she." Why are both Ga- and Ce-Matoran referred to using the "she" pronoun? So there's clearly more at work than just a split along elemental lines.

Bionicle also had legitimate sexual dimorphism, particularly among the Skakdi, whose females were bigger/badder/meaner than the males. This gets into biological difference in addition to personality, so clearly there's something more to this equation than just the elemental stereotypes.

I could go on, but I'm pretty sure I'd just end up repeating Alyska and Kitania et al. Oh, and as for how this relates to the rumored return of Bionicle, um, I'd personally like my own pet theories to come true (so, there, now this post is on-topic).

- BioGio

i think that Ta or Ga would be the pronouns.

Or onu or po etc.

Nope; the elemental prefixes are not pronouns in any case. A pronoun is a word used to replace a noun or noun phrase in a sentence, describing the basic category that the replaced noun fits into. In the sentence "they went to the park", they is the pronoun, replacing a noun phrase that involved a group of individuals. A version of the sentence with the noun phrase that was replaced might have read "the Matoran went to the park". Similarly, the sentence "Dalu looked at her arms and saw she had been badly hurt" replaces two instances of the same noun- Dalu's name. It's replaced with "her" the first time and "she" the second time; both are valid pronouns for referring to women or girls in each of their respective cases.

Looking back at the first sentence, you're suggesting that we could have replaced "they" with "Ta" or another elemental prefix. Would it make sense to say "Ta went to the park"? Not exactly. For the second sentence, you'd recommend replacing both "her" and "she" with "Ga", right? If we did that, we'd end up with "Dalu looked at Ga arms and saw Ga[i/] had been badly hurt". There's definitely an issue there. Neither of those sentences really make sense; the elemental prefixes are never pronouns, though I can see how you might have made that mistake.

Edit: Please do not take shots at other members.

-Wind-

Edit: I'm sorry. I'll make sure to be more respectful next time around.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg