Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

What? No he doesn't.

That's subjective. Anyone is free to agree with another's opinion. Just because you think it's not a good point doesn't mean it isn't for some else.

-Rez

Okay, fine; "He doesn't have a good point, unless you think saying women fundamentally have certain personality traits isn't sexist, which is fundamentally wrong but I guess I have to account for that because sexism is a subjective opinion apparently."

What? No he doesn't. Saying "females would be more likely to be gentler than males" is still a sexist thing. It still implies that, on a whole. the GBs thought females were gentler than males. That's how probability works; if one character trait is more likely in one group than the other, then on average more of one group than the other will have that trait. It's the exact same idea, just worded differently.

Am I the only who thinks you're all getting way to worked up about this?

This place is worse than Tumblr right now...

I'm not worked up; I typed that while completely calm.

Though honestly, responding to you at all suggests I might be getting irrational, considering the second you said "this place is worse than Tumblr" I should have dunked your opinion in the trash can where it belongs.

Edited by Octodad
  • Upvote 9

Okay, fine; "He doesn't have a good point, unless you think saying women fundamentally have certain personality traits isn't sexist, which is fundamentally wrong but I guess I have to account for that because sexism is a subjective opinion apparently."

Sexism isn't subjective--you're either sexist or you're not. But what is sexist is definitely subjective.  

-Rez

• Upvote 4

Sexism isn't subjective--you're either sexist or you're not. But what is sexist is definitely subjective.  

-Rez

But if what's sexist is subjective then who's sexist must also be subjective, because being sexist is defined by holding sexist viewpoints. What you just said doesn't even mesh with itself.

• Upvote 6

Though honestly, responding to you at all suggests I might be getting irrational, considering the second you said "this place is worse than Tumblr" I should have dunked your opinion in the trash can where it belongs.

I'm sorry, the next time I make a comment like that I'll just write SARCASM in big red letters just for you.

• Upvote 2

Hail Denmark

I'm sorry, the next time I make a comment like that I'll just write SARCASM in big red letters just for you.

I can't tell if that means you were agreeing with me the whole time, or if you think saying "this place is worse than tumblr" somehow counts as high comedy

• Upvote 2

Granted, but shouldn't you also take care to make sure your pieces match the puzzle?

Yes, you should. That's what logic and proofreading and rewriting are for. :)

At some point, one of two things happened. Greg was told he had to write a bunch of stand-alone yet IN CANON stories using pre-existing and established characters really quickly OR they just gave him free reign to just write whatever he wanted. But because that care wasn't taken to make sure what you have meshes with the rest of the story you've put in place, we got sloppy fan-fiction about Deadpool and Cthulhu that just does not sit right with the rest of the universe.

While the Cthulhu is confirmed, the Deadpool is denied: 

3) Was Venzon sort of based off of Deadpool from Marvel comics? I have yet to see Vezon break the fourth wall but besides that their insane brand of humor seems pretty similar.

3) Since I have never read Deadpool, no.

This is probably just me, but I never had trouble with Vezon's characterization. :shrugs: And it's sort of hard to imagine the Bionicle universe without Tren Krom now.

Rather than like "let's just mush the template of this previous character's personality over this all new character." 

I hope they don't do this. It's my number one complaint about Hero Factory. 

In Bionicle, the characters were mostly consistent with themselves. That's one of the major things that I liked about Bionicle - they developed, but it made sense how and why they did.  

Am I the only who thinks you're all getting way to worked up about this?

This place is worse than Tumblr right now...

No it's not. People are just criticizing Greg's work, not slamming on Greg himself. Tumblr slams on people and outright slanders them.

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 4

I can't tell if that means you were agreeing with me the whole time, or if you think saying "this place is worse than tumblr" somehow counts as high comedy

The sarcasm part only applied to my comment about Tumblr. 

Anyway, this is really pointless. Let's just not go on about this.

Hail Denmark

Oh, here I am, commenting on the Sexism in Bionicle thread...

CRIPES. THIS AIN'T THAT THREAD.

THIS IS THE BIONICLE RETURNING THREAD. WHAT'S GOIN' ON HERE.

Anyway, I do kinda hope they do a 3-and-3 girl and boy team in any possible reboot. I think that would be fun.

• Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

My thoughts exactly. Getting back on topic, did anybody see my post from yesterday? When did GregF's account get un-banned after the hacking incident? Might this signify something?

My thoughts exactly. Getting back on topic, did anybody see my post from yesterday? When did GregF's account get un-banned after the hacking incident? Might this signify something?

I honestly doubt that the un-banning of Greg's account is related to Bionicle's possible return.

Edited by doodleloot

Hail Denmark

Anyway, I do kinda hope they do a 3-and-3 girl and boy team in any possible reboot. I think that would be fun.

There's nothing wrong with discussing the sexist implications of parts of the story in this topic. We've been talking about a massive variety of topics relating to the future of Bionicle over the past few weeks, and there's no reason to stop discussing any topic relating to the line that has a significant influence on its future.

It hasn't been banned for quite some time, if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure that the ban on his account had been lifted by March. Because he is a normal member on this site in the eyes of the staff, he's subject to the exact same rules regarding bans on member accounts as everyone else. Thus, the lifting of the ban on his account likely has nothing to do with the revival of Bionicle next year.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew
  • Upvote 4

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Let's keep the manners, okay? This goes to everyone else as well, just in case. Since I'm a staff member, but not on this forum (or any forum at all, for that matter), you may consider this only a friendly reminder but don't rely on my word being the last on this matter if this continues.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 5

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I'm gonna do like a thing where I speak in bold blue, and that way you guys know when I'm doing a modhead thing okay check it

This topic was doing fine up to the point where someone came in and claimed it was getting all "Tumblry". Gender discussion is perfectly within the realm of this topic, as stated before. What is not fine is slinging insults. Y'all been warned.

• Upvote 13

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

It's like everywhere I go there is this whole gender thing. Eurobricks now here...

• Upvote 5

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

But if what's sexist is subjective then who's sexist must also be subjective, because being sexist is defined by holding sexist viewpoints. What you just said doesn't even mesh with itself.

You're missing the point...what I said in the first place was that the truthfulness of a point is subjective. You can't argue that. Then you brought up sexism again, which is also subjective, although one could argue otherwise. But here's the deal, in the grand scheme of things, I could accuse you of being sexist for debating with with me because I'm a man. Does that make you sexist? Probably not. But I may think so. See what I mean? It's entirely up to a person to decide what he or she deems sexist or not. Other's can point out that they disagree with the said person's view of sexism, but that doesn't make it wrong or right.

(Please do note that this is just an example. I wouldn't accuse you of anything as silly as that. :P )

-Rez

EDIT: You know, I just noticed that I said, "You're either sexist or you're not," which does actually contradict my second point. I digress from that point, but stay by my latter point of "what is sexist" is subjective.

Edited by Reznas
  • Upvote 4

You're missing the point...what I said in the first place was that the truthfulness of a point is subjective. You can't argue that. Then you brought up sexism again, which is also subjective, although one could argue otherwise. But here's the deal, in the grand scheme of things, I could accuse you of being sexist for debating with with me because I'm a man. Does that make you sexist? Probably not. But I may think so. See what I mean? It's entirely up to a person to decide what he or she deems sexist or not. Other's can point out that they disagree with the said person's view of sexism, but that doesn't make it wrong or right.

(Please do note that this is just an example. I wouldn't accuse you of anything as silly as that. :P )

-Rez

As a student of mathematics, I must respectfully disagree to your argument that the truthfulness of a point is subjective. In fact, if it's subjective, it's not a point or an argument but only an opinion. The fact that you may consider something sexist does not by any means imply it actually is sexist. Like everything else, sexism can be unambigously defined if thought of carefully and consequently, it can be unambigiously determined whether something bears that attribute or not regardless of subjective perception. As far as your example is concerned, you may consider it sexist but the fact is, it is not unless Octodad was indeed discussing with you for only that reason, which I assume she does not.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 2

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Doing a reboot wouldn't be the best idea seeing as how almost everybody would know what will happen

Transformers reboots their continuity on a regular basis. They have certain tropes, sure (The Optimus Prime character will probably die at some point, the Starscream character is a backstabbing ninny, etc.), but they can do enough to the new story that keeps it interesting and fresh to not only build a new fanbase but entertain the old one as well with the elements they grew up with and loved.

It doesn't come without its growing pains. When Transformers did their first BIG reboot, people HATED IT. TRUKK NOT MUNKY, etc. But it opened a franchise up to new and innovative ideas and allowed them to learn from old mistakes and break ground in a new territory.

The comparisons between Transformers and Bionicle is almost STAGGERING. The initial "generation" lasted about a decade before both fans and the creators grew tired of seeing the same characters do the same thing over and over again. Both relaunched a "successor" line building on the original that the original fans HATED (though I'm almost certain beast Wars got way more hate than Hero Factory ever could).

If Bionicle were to come back, change isn't just a better course of action. it should be inevitable. Going back to where it was left off is a recipe for disaster because it ended FOR A REASON. There's no shame in going back and trying again, so long as you attempt to get bast the mistakes that bogged you down in the first place.

The problem is, Transformers didn't have the same sort of main story engine like Bionicle had. All the Transformers reboots can take it different places because the main concept, robots that turn into vehicles (and even the battle between autobots and decepticons) is easily applied to multiple different situations and stories.

But with Bionicle, the main story engine was the secret of the giant robot. The nature of Mata Nui was a one trick horse that could only do its one trick once.They would need to radically alter the nature of the story to make a reboot work without the new audience being able to spoil it with a single google search.

They could have made it work without having mata nui as a giant robot. I think the new story will be more or less the same as the old one until the end of the metru nui saga. THen im guessing it will go off in a completelly new directiction.

Also they might merge 2001 with 2005 cause didnt we see toa mata like things fighting visorak like things?

thats just me though

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

It's like everywhere I go there is this whole gender thing. Eurobricks now here...

Could be because people actually wish to discuss it and point out these things to others who wouldn't otherwise think of the subject. I mean, just speaking theoretically here.

On the Eurobricks topic the discussion was continued on another topic. I come here to read and discuss about BIONICLEs rumoured 2015 return, not a discussion of what is sexist, what is not, gender ratio and other irrelevant stuff.

To try to keep my self sane and away from that discussion, if BIONICLE does return, do you all think that masks will be forward/backward compatible with old BIONICLE sets?

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

sexism

sex·ism

[sek-siz-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngm]  Show IPA

noun

attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles.

discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex, as in restricted job opportunities; especially,such discrimination directed against women.

Oddly, neither of which really applies here. Women as having a "gentler touch" could be viewed as stereotypical,  but speaking as a person who is taking a class on the subject right now, women being gentler than men is not a stereotype. In fact, there are a number of actual female stereotypes, such as the dragon lady, which make women out to be vicious. Women are weak, women are vicious and emotionally unstable in stereotypeland, in many ways the opposite of gentle. Look it up. 

Further, saying that a woman is gentle is not an insult or a devaluation. In fact, the word is usually a compliment. 

Sexist is having attitudes consistent with the above, i.e. viewing women through a stereotypical lense, in this case. Unless you know what the actual stereotypes are, I don't think throwing around the term is useful.  

If you want truth, you're looking for Professor Bones' class down the hall.

Here, we discuss fact.

fact

noun

something that actually exists; reality; truthYour fears have no basis in fact.

something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gatherfacts about plant growth.

something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highlyquestionable.

Gimme a break. 

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 4

Could be because people actually wish to discuss it and point out these things to others who wouldn't otherwise think of the subject. I mean, just speaking theoretically here.

On the Eurobricks topic the discussion was continued on another topic. I come here to read and discuss about BIONICLEs rumoured 2015 return, not a discussion of what is sexist, what is not, gender ratio and other irrelevant stuff.

This isn't EB. You've made your point very clear. Please move on.

Spoiler Alert

As a student of mathematics, I must respectfully disagree to your argument that the truthfulness of a point is subjective. In fact, if it's subjective, it's not a point or an argument but only an opinion. The fact that you may consider something sexist does not by any means imply it actually is sexist. Like everything else, sexism can be unambigously defined if thought of carefully and consequently, it can be unambigiously determined whether something bears that attribute or not regardless of subjective perception. As far as your example is concerned, you may consider it sexist but the fact is, it is not unless Octodad was indeed discussing with you for only that reason, which I assume she does not.

-Gata signoff.png

I get what you're saying. It makes perfect sense, and I understood this before I posted. I guess some of my wording was pretty faulty. I apologize for any misinformation I may have passed on. It was purely out of poor wording. 

But as for the rest, you honestly restated what I said, or at least tried to say (=P). I may think something is sexist, but that doesn't make it sexist. Same goes for everyone else. Therefore, there isn't a concrete idea of sexism, because everyone thinks differently. I may think something is sexist while someone else doesn't. There isn't a right way to determine who is right. It seems like there is. Obviously, if someone says that men are superior to women, he is is being incredibly sexist. Well, at least to most of the world. But just because the majority thinks something is sexist, doesn't mean it concretely is. Someone else might think it isn't sexist, and that sounds ludicrous. Absolutely ludicrous. But the idea of what is sexist is really relative to everyone. 

-Rez

• Upvote 2

fact

noun

something that actually exists; reality; truthYour fears have no basis in fact.

something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gatherfacts about plant growth.

something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highlyquestionable.

Gimme a break. 

It’s suddenly dawned on me maybe most people might not have an encyclopedic knowledge of Indiana Jones quotes from the exclusively non-action parts.

Also, no. Fact and truth are mutually exclusive terms. In this context, truth is what happens within the Bionicle canon whereas fact is what happened out here in the real world.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 2

Spoiler Alert

To try to keep my self sane and away from that discussion, if BIONICLE does return, do you all think that masks will be forward/backward compatible with old BIONICLE sets?

I think they'd make the new masks in a similar fashion to how they remade the Hau in 2010. To be honest I don't even know if the new Hau fits the old heads... does it?

Edited by doodleloot

Hail Denmark

Also, no. Fact and truth are mutually exclusive terms. In this context, truth is what happens within the Bionicle canon whereas fact is what happened out here in the real world.

They're used in different contexts, but they are very similar in meaning. One could use truth in the latter example to get the same general meaning.

-Rez

sexism

sex·ism

[sek-siz-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngm]  Show IPA

noun

attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles.

discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex, as in restricted job opportunities; especially,such discrimination directed against women.

Oddly, neither of which really applies here. Women as having a "gentler touch" could be viewed as stereotypical,  but speaking as a person who is taking a class on the subject right now, women being gentler than men is not a stereotype. In fact, there are a number of actual female stereotypes, such as the dragon lady, which make women out to be vicious. Women are weak, women are vicious and emotionally unstable in stereotypeland, in many ways the opposite of gentle. Look it up. 

Further, saying that a woman is gentle is not an insult or a devaluation. In fact, the word is usually a compliment. 

Sexist is having attitudes consistent with the above, i.e. viewing women through a stereotypical lense, in this case. Unless you know what the actual stereotypes are, I don't think throwing around the term is useful.

In this case, however, the Bionicle story suggests that the group of women as a whole is expected to be more gentle than the group of men as a whole. Does a lack of familiarity with a stereotype make it less hurtful to the group that it's targeting? I'd argue that any explicit generalization of a group around a supposed tendency or trait is a stereotype, regardless of whether or not it is commonly considered to be one.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew
  • Upvote 2

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I think they'd make the new masks in a similar fashion to how they remade the Hau in 2010. To be honest I don't even know if the new Hau fits the old heads... does it?

Nope, the Hau doesn't fit most heads that were made before it's release; in fact, the only head pieces that it fits are the Av-Matoran head from 2008 and the Glatorian head. Honestly, because their will likely be a desire for a fresh look and possibly an entirely different atmosphere for the reboot, I wouldn't be too surprised if the reboot of the line uses none of the designs of any of the old masks at all, as much as I'd want it too. If it were to bring back the old designs, then they'd probably e compatible with Av-Matoran, Glatorian, and Brain Attack heads only, as those three heads are very similar in shape and size at the area where the mask or helmet attaches, and because that type of head has been in production more than any other type over the last several years. Unfortunately, head such as the Metru mold which are extremely useful for MOCing have been out of production since 2009.

AAZZ.jpg

Honestly, because their will likely be a desire for a fresh look and possibly an entirely different atmosphere for the reboot, I wouldn't be too surprised if the reboot of the line uses none of the designs of any of the old masks at all, as much as I'd want it too. 

I think they might do some slight changes to the old designs, but keep the overall look very close to the original. After all the Toa mata masks are probably the most recognizable of the series, the Hau in particular.

Hail Denmark

While I agree that there is a distinction between Bionicle canon and what happens in the real world, using the words truth and fact to distinguish them is confusing, because in the real world they are often synonymous. Also your wording implies that truth does not exist in the real world, and while we are not allowed to get into that debate, I find the implication to be false. 

In this case, however, the Bionicle story suggests that the group of women as a whole is expected to be more gentle than the group of men as a whole. Does a lack of familiarity with a stereotype make it less hurtful to the group that it's targeting? I'd argue that any explicit generalization of a group around a supposed tendency or trait is a stereotype, regardless of whether or not it is commonly considered to be one.

stereotype
[...]
3. a set form; convention.
Sociology . a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and heldin common by members of a group: 

The cowboy and Indian are American stereotypes.

Operative focus on the term group. A group has to consider it a conception. However, how big is the group? In theory four people could create a conception, argue that it is offensive, make it a stereotype, and then argue that everyone should skate around them because whatever it is is a stereotype and they don't like it, even though they invented it!

One person getting offended and getting four people to agree with them is NOT a stereotype. For it to be a stereotype, a group must build the convention about another group of people, and think it's true.

Now in this case, you can argue that the stereotype was made by the Great Beings of female Toa. But they made female Toa to be what they were, so they would know exactly who they are. That's "truth" according to my friend Makaru.

But the Great Beings didn't type human females as gentle, only female Toa. To suggest that they have typed us is ridiculous - they don't even know we exist. They didn't even type female Agori, but rather female Toa, which they made.

Now, back in the realm of "fact": Greg does not qualify as a group. He's one guy. Most of the arguments in this topic have accused him of typing human females using this example, but since the stereotype didn't exist before he wrote the scene, it's not a stereotype.

Also, stereotypes by definition don't have to be offensive to the typed party. It's just that they often are. Being offended =/= stereotyping.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting more female characters or evener ratios in a Bionicle return or even getting mad at how gender was handled previously, as unproductive as it is. But appealing to stereotypes to try to shove your emotions in other people's faces is not based in truth, fact, or whatever term you all wish to use for it. 

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 4

If we assume that Orde is correct and not lying, we can make the following reasonable assumptions:

• Orde is not being held personally responsible for his actions. His gender, however, is?
  • According to the great beings, for the Matoran race it is the natural order for men to be aggressive.
  • Similarly, females of the Matoran race are supposed to be level-headed and kind
  • The Great Beings assume all Matoran (and Toa, etc) fall into their respective categories with no deviation
You are, I think, making over-hasty generalizations here. All we can infer from Orde's tale, it seems to me, is that the Great Beings thought that making all Psionics members of the Matoran species would be the best way to ensure "a gentler touch" was used. We can't say for certain whether or not the Great Beings thought that any of the things you mention were universally the case. Obviously they thought that females were more likely to be gentler than males, but that's not the same thing as saying "All females are gentler than males."

You make a good point here.

What? No he doesn't. Saying "females would be more likely to be gentler than males" is still a sexist thing. It still implies that, on a whole. the GBs thought females were gentler than males. That's how probability works; if one character trait is more likely in one group than the other, then on average more of one group than the other will have that trait. It's the exact same idea, just worded differently.

Dude, it's not sexist.

But whatever, I don't think we should be making a big deal of this. Obviously we all have different beliefs.

Edited by Jakuura
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, because their will likely be a desire for a fresh look and possibly an entirely different atmosphere for the reboot, I wouldn't be too surprised if the reboot of the line uses none of the designs of any of the old masks at all, as much as I'd want it too.

I think they might do some slight changes to the old designs, but keep the overall look very close to the original. After all the Toa mata masks are probably the most recognizable of the series, the Hau in particular.

It should also be noted that with the Breakout, Brain Attack, and Invasion from Below series in LEGO Hero Factory, the LEGO Group has proven their ability to create new masks that are reminiscent of previous versions but still unique in their own right. Knowing how distinctive the classic masks are, I wouldn't be surprised if the LEGO Group were to do something similar here.

I hope whatever mask powers we get are also simple and iconic, rather than as complex as some later mask powers in BIONICLE were. It's not like I don't like the variety of mask powers later years offered, but many of them were not quite as intuitive as things like Shielding, X-Ray Vision, Water Breathing, Levitation, Speed, and Strength.