Explain Chima to Me

ALVIS

The Legend of Chima sets have failed to catch my eye, but seeing as it has a multi-episode TV show, a lot of publicity, and a subforum on this website, something about the line clearly appeals to a lot of people. I'm not interested in getting involved with the line, but I do wonder why and how it has gained such a following.

So, Chima fans, explain to me the story that has captivated you to such a degree. I'm curious.

• Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

A bunch of anthropomorphic animals living in tribes in a jungle land have this CHI stuff fall out of a giant floating rock and turn into orbs that they can put into their chests and get really strong. The CHI is good if they use it well and use it wisely but some of them don't and get into a big war over who controls it, which is totally not allegorical to human struggles over scarce resources in real life. They all used to be pals but they all had these big war machines and decided to start using them against each other and stuff. Then a bunch of bugs and bats steal the CHI, and all the other animals decide to be friends again and fight the bugs to get their CHI back, oh and also rescue the legend beasts which are looked up to because they're not anthropomorphic. And then they win and live happily ever after with their CHI until the summer line comes out and they fight new people again.

Also a fair amount of chases in vehicles that have cool animal designs, which are pretty decent.

:music:

Edited by xccj
  • Upvote 2

A bunch of anthropomorphic animals living in tribes in a jungle land have this CHI stuff fall out of a giant floating rock and turn into orbs that they can put into their chests and get really strong. The CHI is good if they use it well and use it wisely but some of them don't and get into a big war over who controls it, which is totally not allegorical to human struggles over scarce resources in real life. They all used to be pals but they all had these big war machines and decided to start using them against each other and stuff. Then a bunch of bugs and bats steal the CHI, and all the other animals decide to be friends again and fight the bugs to get their CHI back, oh and also rescue the legend beasts which are looked up to because they're not anthropomorphic. And then they win and live happily ever after with their CHI until the summer line comes out and they fight new people again.

Also a fair amount of chases in vehicles that have cool animal designs, which are pretty decent.

:music:

Oh Xccj... how i love your witty yet basically true summary of chima... I myself have little to no interest in the chima line yet have also been wondering what the bloody hype is about it. Then again I never really follow system themes at all so i guess what i should be asking is what is the hype over system themes... but that is a story for another question.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

seeing as it has a multi-episode TV show, a lot of publicity, and a subforum on this website, something about the line clearly appeals to a lot of people.

That's questionable, when you consider that although the Chima forum has the top place amongst the LEGO Discussion forums and recently had a whole month of attention dedicated to it, it hasn't even reached 500 posts, whilst all the other ones have at least 5000.

• Upvote 2

For me the appeal lies in the amazing minifigures and the aesthetics of the animal-themed machines and buildings. Also they're super fun to draw in a more "realistic" fashion. (Especially the outlands tribes)

The story and show are mostly garbage, though. The only worthwhile thing they've done is give Razcal an abacus.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

I'd say "think Dune meets Thundercats", but since I'm only marginally familiar with either franchise that may or may not be a very good analogy.

Chima is a fantasy world populated by anthropomorphic animals whose civilization is structured around a magical resource called CHI. Not only are the magical properties of CHI responsible for the evolution of Chima's indigenous wild animals into anthropomorphic animals, but it serves as fuel for all of their technology and a magical power-boost during battle.

The Lion Tribe had the task of distributing CHI to all the animal tribes, but when Cragger the crocodile prince stole some CHI, it created a rift between the tribes, which eventually led to a battle in which Cragger's parents King Crominus and Queen Crunket disappeared into a chasm. Cragger's evil sister Crooler then manipulated Cragger into waging all-out war against the lions to decide who will control the CHI. The various other tribes of Chima took sides in the war. And after that things get sort of complicated!

I'm not terribly invested in the Legends of Chima storyline — I still have to catch up on the TV show, since I somewhat lost interest after the first three episodes, helped by increasing school-related pressure. But the Legends of Chima storybooks by Greg Farshtey are quite good, and the theme does boast some very diverse characters. The sets are also quite nifty, focusing mainly on war machines with lots of brick-built animal motifs. Still, it doesn't speak to me to the same extent that Ninjago does.

• Upvote 1

furry biker gang drug wars in TV-Y7

This is, without a doubt, one of the best descriptions of Chima I have ever read.

Indeed. He does have a point.

Although whether CHI qualifies as a drug is somewhat iffy. I prefer "Phlebotinium", especially since it gives powers to characters. It's more like a power rivalry.

This is, without a doubt, one of the best descriptions of Chima I have ever read.

Although whether CHI qualifies as a drug is somewhat iffy. I prefer "Phlebotinium", especially since it gives powers to characters. It's more like a power rivalry.

A drug is any chemical you take that affects the way your body works. Alcohol, caffeine, aspirin and nicotine are all drugs.

It would be considered a drug, techically. Totally besides the point though(although I'm glad my DDR training is finally useful.).

• Upvote 1

WIP

A drug is any chemical you take that affects the way your body works. Alcohol, caffeine, aspirin and nicotine are all drugs.

It would be considered a drug, techically. Totally besides the point though(although I'm glad my DDR training is finally useful.).

actually, i'm a girl, fishers

oh, and nice rebuttal there, athmos. thanks for scientifically backing up my Witty Quip

• Upvote 1

actually, i'm a girl, fishers

oh, and nice rebuttal there, athmos. thanks for scientifically backing up my Witty Quip

Welcome. I didn't put myself through several hours of DDR training to NOT use it, heh heh.

• Upvote 1

WIP

• 2 weeks later...