What LEGO Videogames would you like to see?

Black Six

From a friend at RockRaidersUnited:

Hey Kevin, thank you for asking this important question! I really appreciate LEGO asking for feedback from its community. One of the reasons this company is far better than many others.

The problems with LEGO games in this day and era are numerous. At the core, the games are little more than what I call "repetitive task syndrome", i.e., you repeat the same action over and over again with little to no motivation aside from trying to get to the end of the level or collect collectibles. It's a big problem in gaming, since we should be offering players an awesome experience that makes them feel fantastic and clever, but simply bashing up objects unfortunately doesn't really work.

As I'm sure you're aware, LEGO's real meaning is to "Play Well", and I believe that The LEGO Group needs to seriously focus on the message presented by it's games. The LEGO Movie Videogame was a massive failure because the gameplay completely went against the messages presented in the movie (I can link you to a discussion I made about this if you wish). This is a big problem with TT Games and the recent MMO; they don't represent LEGO in a positive light, and come off more as just simply "toys" than the highly complex, yet simplified construction elements that have inspired generations of children to be creative.

I honestly think that a LEGO game could score extremely high review marks if it was given the respect it deserves. What you guys need to focus on is building a game that respects and utilizes the message and value of LEGO. We understand that having LEGO elements is a very costly operation on the computer side. It's okay to take shortcuts there (simple 2D polys, locked cameras etc), but only if the gameplay can stand up. The third problem is that these games make the assumption that the player is an garish rapscallion. They constantly barf out advice and take away any of the challenge that is natural to the LEGO environment. Kids are not idiots. They are highly intelligent and creative puzzle solvers. You can see this demonstrated with your own product. That said, why does the game assume that they can barely hold the controller? I honestly think a good LEGO game needs to bring some level of challenge that's higher than "kill X guys" and "stand here and press button".

I think a LEGO game which encapsulates the values of LEGO, to be creative and to keep trying, is ultimately what will bring the most success to you as a brand and as a message. If you look at the original Legend of Zelda, Spelunky, Braid, Fez and many other bold titles which kids regularly play, get challenged by and have fun, I think you will notice certain elements that current LEGO games lack which can only serve to improve the final product. The key is not to make your games as an accessory toy, but to make them complimentary to the LEGO sets, and make kids want to take what they learned in the game into their real LEGO bricks. This doesn't mean making LDD: The Video Game, but to find gameplay which will have a similar effect.

Last Point: While IPs are fun to see as LEGO bricks, there comes a point where they appear to be formulaic and boring. I think LEGO needs to stick to its roots, stay with their original IPs such as Ninjago or Agents and to keep making games which are vastly different. As has been said, the classic LEGO games (Island etc) stand out because they had a lot of variety. The first LEGO Star Wars was okay, but it got repetitive quickly, despite the "additions" make to gameplay.

I know I haven't really given an example of a specific game I'd like, but I think that's important. TLG should discuss and come to their own conclusion, based on the points we as a community bring forward to you guys. Not a specific theme, but things we think a game should and shouldn't have.

I appreciate you reading through this,

McJobless

• Upvote 6

Hero Factory. There's very little way that can be done wrong. Although making it like the Breakout game - what it eventually ended up as - and adding more character customization and more worlds to explore would be ideal. And no time delays. NO TIME DELAYS. 

a RPG game that is not like the last two (Lego Minifigure Online and Chima Online) right?

Exactly. If it's a video game, than the time-delay component can be scrapped, I hope. 

Bionicle RPG/Adventure game. I might even pick that one up. 

Here's what I'd like to be a video game:

LEGOLAND themed game

TECHNIC game that uses most to all TECHNIC parts

Detective themed LEGO game

LEGO RPG with multiple possible endings

A LEGO game that foucuses on the natural world

LEGO game where you relive classic novels and fairy tales

-Tomdroidser

Featuring: Arkham Firefly/The LEGO Movie Quiz

Now Entering: The Rise of DarkSaber
Two personal thanks to Black Six for Proto Boost.
(Expired) Topics: HF MOC BBC #69 Entry: Jaller Inika Rebuilt 

There is no such thing as perfection, except in being yourself.kanohi_avkama.gif

On the side of Bionicle, I would like to see a MOBA game like League of Legends or a Trading Card Game similar to Hearthstone.

However, a take on Simpsons: Tapped Out from LEGO could be interesting. This one was something I originally thought up for Bionicle where it would be set after the Great Cataclysm and you have to build the villages on Mata Nui, but it could work for LEGO City. You have minifigs performing tasks to earn studs, which will be used to purchase buildings to expand your city and unlock more minifiqs. LEGO could also implement LDD into this by allowing you to build and designate your own buildings and also build decorations in exchange for studs.

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Reply to Fishers64: A Hero Factory game that is like the PC breakout game sound like a great idea, it would be awesome if you play as your own Hero instead of one of the Alpha 1 Team and a big think I hope is there are not like over 20 different DLC (especially when a game just came out, I really hate when this happen with game).

Reply to Tomdroidser: In fact there was a Legoland game that was like RollerCoaster Tycoon series (I really need to get the 3rd game), so it would be awesome to see a new one. The TECHNIC game I can't see the building your own vehicle happening.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Posting on behalf of Xiron of Rock Raiders United.

What I do have say about what I'd like to see is:
I'd like to see more unique games like the classics, and I'm not just saying this because I grew up with them, but because they actually stood out from the other games LEGO developed at the time. It didn't feel like a car that kept being brought to the garage to get a new coat of paint with a few new extra additions just to always look brand new. Right now, with all the liscened games being made with TT Games, this is what it feels like, an old car ran past its time, it isn't all that cool as it use to be back when it was brand new.

• Upvote 3

Are signatures still a thing?

From a friend at RockRaidersUnited:

Hey Kevin, thank you for asking this important question! I really appreciate LEGO asking for feedback from its community. One of the reasons this company is far better than many others.

The problems with LEGO games in this day and era are numerous. At the core, the games are little more than what I call "repetitive task syndrome", i.e., you repeat the same action over and over again with little to no motivation aside from trying to get to the end of the level or collect collectibles. It's a big problem in gaming, since we should be offering players an awesome experience that makes them feel fantastic and clever, but simply bashing up objects unfortunately doesn't really work.

As I'm sure you're aware, LEGO's real meaning is to "Play Well", and I believe that The LEGO Group needs to seriously focus on the message presented by it's games. The LEGO Movie Videogame was a massive failure because the gameplay completely went against the messages presented in the movie (I can link you to a discussion I made about this if you wish). This is a big problem with TT Games and the recent MMO; they don't represent LEGO in a positive light, and come off more as just simply "toys" than the highly complex, yet simplified construction elements that have inspired generations of children to be creative.

I honestly think that a LEGO game could score extremely high review marks if it was given the respect it deserves. What you guys need to focus on is building a game that respects and utilizes the message and value of LEGO. We understand that having LEGO elements is a very costly operation on the computer side. It's okay to take shortcuts there (simple 2D polys, locked cameras etc), but only if the gameplay can stand up. The third problem is that these games make the assumption that the player is an garish rapscallion. They constantly barf out advice and take away any of the challenge that is natural to the LEGO environment. Kids are not cool dudes. They are highly intelligent and creative puzzle solvers. You can see this demonstrated with your own product. That said, why does the game assume that they can barely hold the controller? I honestly think a good LEGO game needs to bring some level of challenge that's higher than "kill X guys" and "stand here and press button".

I think a LEGO game which encapsulates the values of LEGO, to be creative and to keep trying, is ultimately what will bring the most success to you as a brand and as a message. If you look at the original Legend of Zelda, Spelunky, Braid, Fez and many other bold titles which kids regularly play, get challenged by and have fun, I think you will notice certain elements that current LEGO games lack which can only serve to improve the final product. The key is not to make your games as an accessory toy, but to make them complimentary to the LEGO sets, and make kids want to take what they learned in the game into their real LEGO bricks. This doesn't mean making LDD: The Video Game, but to find gameplay which will have a similar effect.

Last Point: While IPs are fun to see as LEGO bricks, there comes a point where they appear to be formulaic and boring. I think LEGO needs to stick to its roots, stay with their original IPs such as Ninjago or Agents and to keep making games which are vastly different. As has been said, the classic LEGO games (Island etc) stand out because they had a lot of variety. The first LEGO Star Wars was okay, but it got repetitive quickly, despite the "additions" make to gameplay.

I know I haven't really given an example of a specific game I'd like, but I think that's important. TLG should discuss and come to their own conclusion, based on the points we as a community bring forward to you guys. Not a specific theme, but things we think a game should and shouldn't have.

I appreciate you reading through this,

McJobless

Wow, awfully dramatic. Personally I'm glad to have high-quality and fun Lego titles rather than the buggy and nigh unplayable games we sometimes used to get (the worst of which, ironically, was a little game called Lego Rock Raiders). I'm all for new and original Lego games, but you talk about the Travellers' Tales games like they're the worst thing ever. They're not—they're easy to play games with great co-op for families, and they do a great job of inspiring kids to build things in real life (at least, they did for me).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

(the worst of which, ironically, was a little game called Lego Rock Raiders).

Care to explain how Rock Raiders is "nigh unplayable"? Considering the entire community that's formed around it, that seems like quite an outlandish claim - even more outlandish to claim it's "the worst" of the older LEGO games, considering how blatantly broken and/or unfinished some of the other earlier games like LEGO Stunt Rally and LEGO Island 2 were.

The earlier TT titles were somewhat enjoyable the first time around, they had a focus on arcade-y action. The more recent ones I've played feel much more tedious - I'd be ok with puzzles if they were actually puzzles, but how can you even call something a puzzle when it's nothing more than "follow the arrow pointing at exactly where to go and press the button on the prompt"?

Edited by jamesster
  • Upvote 4

My opinions really echoes many of the other feelings which others have expressed in this forum. I agree that it feels the TT games formula has become stale from being overused and that a return to roots of the diversity which made the original LEGO games of the 1990s-2004 so nice and continue to withstand the test of time (Just look at the active community of rockraidersunited.org) may teach LEGO a lesson.

I would would probably break the best LEGO games into a few categories, Creative, Action/Strategy, and Exploration games. The best of the games I would say have been able to seamlessly cross or merge these categories. These are games such as LEGO Island (All three), LEGO Racers (All three), and Island Xtreme Stunts (Action/Strategy and Exploration). I would also like to say that sometimes focusing purely on one category has turned out well, in the case of LEGO Rock Raiders and Alpha Team, focusing on strategy made both great games.

What I really would want from my dream LEGO games is innovation (and doesn't use the TT games formula), true customization and building experiences, open world exploration in a variety of unique locations, racing*, the melding of multiple themes, original LEGO IPs, an immersive plot (sometimes), and nice graphics never hurt.

I'm sorry I couldn't really provide any ideas beyond just constructive criticism, but I should hope the input I provided is still useful.

Thanks for soliciting our input,

ProfessorBrickkeeper

*I could also certain settle for mobile ports of some classic LEGO games. The original developer (http://www.high-voltage.com) of LEGO Racers is actually still active and has had success with developing for mobile platforms so it would be nice to see that on mobile platforms.

• Upvote 3

(the worst of which, ironically, was a little game called Lego Rock Raiders).

Care to explain how Rock Raiders is "nigh unplayable"?

The earlier TT titles were somewhat enjoyable the first time around, they had a focus on arcade-y action. The more recent ones I've played feel much more tedious - I'd be ok with puzzles if they were actually puzzles, but how can you even call something a puzzle when it's nothing more than "follow the arrow pointing at exactly where to go and press the button on the prompt"?

Rock Raiders was extremely glitchy, slow, and crashed all the time back when we had it on PC. Lots of calls to Customer Service ensued. I can't remember if all versions were quite so glitchy but I have heard we were far from the only ones who had problems, despite having a computer with the specs the box recommended.

People can complain about the design of the Traveler's Tales games and whether it fits the LEGO spirit all they like, but the fact remains that they are generally very fun and well-polished games, with the exception of some of the handheld ports. Don't get me wrong, it'd be great for the LEGO Group to continue to branch out into new game formats (as they are doing currently with things like LEGO Fusion), but at the same time it shouldn't mean sacrificing a game format that has been extremely successful and widely-loved. It's not like Nintendo has to stop making Mario platformers when they want to make a Mario sports game or RPG.

Rock Raiders always ran quite well for me, performance wise. There are some bugs here and there, but I played through the game quite a lot (and enjoyed it) without hitting anything game-breaking. Others on RRU have posted for help regarding a couple of recurring bugs, but they're easily fixed with some changes to the game's configuration file. It's by no stretch the "worst" early LEGO game, either technically (LEGO Island 2 has enough glitches, many game-breaking, to fill a book), or design wise (LEGO Stunt Rally's gameplay is literally just holding down one key to drive and occasionally pressing another to use a power-up - the GBC version is especially ridiculous).

As said, my issues with the TT format are more with the "puzzles" in the later games than the core gameplay they started out with. I wouldn't mind if they continued, so long as LEGO continues to branch out (I'm also quite interested in LEGO Fusion) and hopefully trades out the "puzzles" for something more dynamic and interesting.

Edited by jamesster
  • Upvote 3

Rock Raiders always ran quite well for me, performance wise. There are some bugs here and there, but I played through the game quite a lot (and enjoyed it) without hitting anything game-breaking. Others on RRU have posted for help regarding a couple of recurring bugs, but they're easily fixed with some changes to the game's configuration file. It's by no stretch the "worst" early LEGO game, either technically (LEGO Island 2 has enough glitches, many game-breaking, to fill a book), or design wise (LEGO Stunt Rally's gameplay is literally just holding down one key to drive and occasionally pressing another to use a power-up).

As said, my issues with the TT format are more with the "puzzles" in the later games than the core gameplay they started out with. I wouldn't mind if they continued, so long as LEGO continues to branch out (I'm also quite interested in LEGO Fusion) and hopefully trades out the tedious "puzzles" for something more dynamic and interesting.

Ah, all right. We never owned LEGO Island 2 or LEGO Stunt Rally. I think Lyi and I were both talking mostly about the old classics... things like LEGO Loco (which was amazing despite its very rudimentary graphics and open-ended gameplay), LEGOLAND (another great game, sadly a game like it might not be possible now that LEGOLAND parks are owned by Merlin Entertainments Group), LEGO Racers, and LEGO Chess.

I haven't played a lot of the later games myself so I don't know a lot about about said "puzzles". LEGO City Undercover looks and sounds fun, but I don't play a lot of video games anymore and my family doesn't have a Wii U (yet).

^Try to stay on topic guys.

I think it would be cool to see a Diablo/Torchlight style RPG. I think it would easily fit the Lego brand and could work well. You could even mix in a few of the puzzle elements and the co-op from Traveler's Tales traditional Lego games to give it a bit of a unique spin.

Think about it: You could have quite a few different areas based on the different Lego themes, having to travel back and forth between them to travel deeper to the each world's dungeons. Pirates, Castle, Space, City...And many more that they could chose from. 

On top of that I think the camera view would make it easy to build the entire world out of Lego bricks, giving the game a cool artstyle.

Character creation and equipping items would be sweet.

They could even give you the option to build and decorate your house like some MMO's have.

My brother and I talked about it a lot and had quite a few ideas in regard to it, but the biggest question is: Why hasn't this been done yet?

• Upvote 1

Wow, awfully dramatic. Personally I'm glad to have high-quality and fun Lego titles rather than the buggy and nigh unplayable games we sometimes used to get (the worst of which, ironically, was a little game called Lego Rock Raiders). I'm all for new and original Lego games, but you talk about the Travellers' Tales games like they're the worst thing ever. They're not—they're easy to play games with great co-op for families, and they do a great job of inspiring kids to build things in real life (at least, they did for me).

Rock Raiders is subjectively tedius and has frustrating AI. It still has a niche due to its interesting puzzle-rts design and modding possibilities.

I cannot enjoy the Traveller's Tales LEGO Games. They lack challenge, they lack depth in their game mechanics. The TT LEGO Games are great games for kids who are enamored with the visuals, humor, and don't need a deep game on top of that. For me, however, they are boring, and the LEGO Visuals and humor do not help the issue enough. As a LEGO Fan who cannot enjoy LEGO Game as they are currently developed, it hurts.

I could go on about what could improve LEGO Games for me so that I could enjoy them again, but the solution has already been mentioned perfectly.

• Upvote 4

I really enjoyed playing some of the Lego games made by TT Games, but I think there should be some more Lego games based on their original and recent toy themes, since there's a bit too many Lego games based on licensed themes.  Seeing that the most recent Lego games from TT Games are almost similar in gameplay since 2005 (with a few tweaks or so), here are some of my ideas for new Lego games:

-A new Lego Racers game in the style of the Need for Speed racing games (such as Underground/Underground 2, Most Wanted 2005, Hot Pursuit 2010, World, and Rivals), where you can build and upgrade your own Lego racing car and drive it in an open-world environment (such as cities, the beach, forests, and deserts), participating in various races, challenges, and chases throughout the game.  There should also be the option to play as the police, where you can pursue and take down rival racers too.  The nitro/NO2 system should also be taken/inspired from Gameloft's Asphalt games and/or the most recent Ridge Racer games, where triggering a full tank of Nitro allows you to take down your opponents until you drift, hit a stunt ramp, or your nitro tank runs out.  I would also love to see motorcycles incorporated into the game alongside with the Lego cars!

-A Lego Ultra Agents console game for PS3, PS4, Nintendo Wii U, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.  The game can be a third-person shooter game that isn't too realistic or cartoonish, where you can battle Astor City's most notorious villains, and also allows you to ride vehicles.  Plus there should be some strategy elements similar to the Alpha Team PC game from 2000, along with some puzzle mini-games (for example, portions of the game where you have to break into the villain's computer system and shut them down).

-A Lego Space RPG where you create your own Lego space character (minifig, cyborg, or alien), build and upgrade your own spaceship, and join a faction such as the Space Police, Spyrius, Exploriens, and Blacktron.  The game should also feature planets and spaceships from the entire Lego Space line, ranging from Classic Space in the 1980s to more recent Lego Space themes such as Space Police III and Galaxy Squad.

-A Lego dance game similar to the Just Dance games or Dance Central for Kinect/Wii U/PS4.  I know this idea may sound ridiculous, but I remember there was a Lego Rock Band game a few years back.  The only problem I find with this idea is picking age-appropriate pop/dance/EDM songs as well as licensing fees to the songs, but if it worked out for Lego Rock Band, then it can work out for a Lego motion-based dance game too!  Minifig customization also welcome.

-And last but not least, a sequel to either Lego City Undercover and/or the Lego Island series.

~:hau: VM 4.0 :hau:

Edited by V.M.Torious 4.0

Vakama Montana's Chronicles: The Official Blog of V.M.Torious 4.0!
BZP Member V.M.Torious 4.0 (formerly Vakama Montana0111), a.k.a. Lego Club/MLN Member Vakama4688.
mnolg_dvd_bzp_banner_2.jpg

As mentioned by nearly everyone already, I would love to see a Hero Factory or Bionicle game, done in a style similar to Fall of Cybertron. Not in a thematic sense, or necessarily the third-person shooter gameplay, but how the levels unfolded and the action of 'cutscenes' blended into the actual gameplay components. High action from beginning to end.

I loved Lego City Undercover, so another open world style game would be sweet, plus another game that wasn't a licensed property. Ninjago, Chima, Ultra Agents, and even Mixels seem like decent contenders for their own console games.

For themes that have came and went, an Aqua Raiders or Atlantis themed game would make me ecstatic. Also, Monster Fighters. I would love, love, LOVE a Monster Fighters game.

Thanks for letting us have our input!

A Lego open world sandbox game where you can build whatever you want and play around with it! Every single brick. No theme left unused. Local and online VS and Co-op. There should also be a limited edition that comes with a special case, a soundtrack, a small vehicle set, 5 Minifigs with special pieces that aren't available in any set, a giant Minifig on top of a giant 4x4 brick, bonus Lego movie content (playable Emmet with pre-built construct-o mech and Wild Style), a poster and a Lego brick flashlight keychain.

Xykros, I think you going waaaaaaay too overboard with that limited edition, I think a poster, soundtrack and a Minifigure is good enough (Purple Spaceman or Pink Ninja anyone  :D)

Anyway another thing I wanted to add is unless it's a sandbox, I think there shouldn't be any first person.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

Yeah, I always thought a Hero Factory game where you could build your own hero, apply upgrades and choose from a great variety of missions (with a main plot and side quests) could have been a great game. It may be too late for that now, though...

-Gata signoff.png

That would be amazing. As much as my feelings about HF are mostly just 'Mehh,' this would be great.

Not sure if this counts, but I also want to see a new MMORPG centered around Ninjago... But not one with boring gameplay like LMO. Instead, I'd like to see a skill system like LU's (But with the addition of some innate character powers), and gameplay more like... er, LU. Not because LU was the end-all-be-all of MMOs, but because I believe it struck the right balance between simplicity and fun. It could've done with less linear worlds, though.

Edited by Tanu Toa of Earth
toatanusignature.png

• Something with brick-by-brick building as a core feature of gameplay.  The testers and target-audience of this game should be people who enjoy building with LEGO bricks.
  • A LEGO Star Wars game in which the main character is created and customized by the player. The player may choose one of several professions for their character: Jedi (can use Lightsabers and the Force), Smuggler (can hack terminals and bribe guards), and Trooper (can use various ranged weapons and grenades). The player can also customize the Starship of their character.
  • A BIONICLE game, if BIONICLE is fated to return to shelves. Preferably one with maximum amounts of character customization. The main character is the player's own fully-customizable Toa. Using the various Masks of Power is an aspect of gameplay. If there is online multiplayer, players could battle as a six-person Toa Team.
  • A LEGO Racers game with online multiplayer and fully customizable cars. Children encountering visually inappropriate racecars wouldn't be an issue, because there is is only so much you could build on a chassis before it reaches suggestive territory.

My wishful-thinking dream LEGO game features:

• A dynamic and expansive open world.
  • The option to build vehicles, buildings and creatures brick-by-brick.
  • Alternatively, the option to load LXF files into the game.
  • The ability to switch between third-person and first-person on a whim.
  • Online multiplayer.
  • Team-based PVP featuring brick-built creations, if there is online multiplayer. Just imagine using a custom built mech to attack another player's custom built fortress! :D
Edited by Bricknave
  • Upvote 2

Personally, I would love to see more Lego games based on original Lego themes such as Lego City Undercover. The way I see it, if they're going to go and make the same basic game over and over with a different skin, it might as well be based on something original. Perhaps a sequel to LCU, or dare I say it, a Lego Island/Racers revival.

Edited by Vahkiti: Time Guardian
  • Upvote 1

BZP2024.jpg

Admin of Mask Of Destiny. Founder of The Beaverhouse, Litestone, & 810NICLE Day.

First of all, I'd like to throw my support behind what McJobless said.

Also, I too would enjoy another simulator game in the vein of Loco or Creator (the latter in particular could, I feel, be made into something amazing with contemporary resources) as well a good, customizable racing game.

One of the primary problems, it seems to me, behind the TT games is the attitude behind their development. One would imagine that a game system used continually for nine years would, at this point, be quite advanced. After all, new features are bound to be introduced, so an accumulated nine years of them should be, at least, rather impressive. Ah, but there's the rub. There seems to be very little interest at Traveler's Tales in actually retaining improvements made in previous games. For example, LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures introduced the use of objects, LEGO Indiana Jones 2 introduced level building, and LEGO Star Wars III introduced real-time strategy military campaigns. The first feature has returned only occasionally, the second was dropped after two games, and the third, to my knowledge, has yet to be revisited.

Indeed, looking at most modern TT games, one sees the surprising lack of significant differences between them and their primogenitor. Yes, the worlds are much larger and the graphics and sounds much improved, but in terms of actual differences one sees mostly a myriad of ways to achieve the same end: Killing drone-enemies in a few blows.

Ah yes, the combat system is another oddly static element of the Traveler's Tale's games. While I don't want LEGO games to focus primarily on combat, if it is going to be so omnipresent, it might as well be interesting.

Mind you, I understand the inherent difficulties in maintaining and improving a system of gameplay in genuinely innovate ways year after year, which is why I think it would be better for TT to venture into other engines. Unless the system works so well as to merit repeated re-visitations (the one used in the first five Ultima games is, I think, I prime example of such a thing,)  I see no reason not to be adventurous in one's designs. 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained" should be the game-developer's watchword.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat
  • Upvote 4

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

A Lego game that focuses strictly on one genre, much like LEGO City Undercover focused on the City genre. Perhaps a straight Space or Pirates or Castle game. Or a remake of that awesome racing game for Nintendo 64.

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

Let me start by saying that, despite the numerous flaws, I enjoy the Tt games.

Now, let me continue by saying I'm getting sick of them. It's really beginning to feel like shovelware at this point. Anyway, let's get to it.

*cracks knuckles*

To make things easier, I'm gonna organize by genre.

RTS

I've long said that Rock Raiders is my favorite LEGO video game so let's start with real-time strategy. RR is by no means perfect. Quite frankly, I feel there is a lot of wasted potential with this title. What I feel set Rock Riaders apart as a RTS was the focus on base-building more than combat (like most of your RTS titles). With fighting RTS's, you're racing against the clock to try and beat the enemy to your high-tier units and such. RR was nice because it was a bit more laid-back which also made it accessible to a younger audience. In a console-dominated market, RTS isn't as strong of a choice to be sure (though the argument could be made that such a laid-back RTS could potentially work okay with a controller). At the same time however, there's no denying that there's still an audience for it. Rock Raiders United and all the mods for RR are proof of that.

An RTS that capitalizes more on resources gathering a base-building would immediately grab my attention. Fitting themes for such could include another "mining" one like RR or Power Miners, an outer space one like Life on Mars/Mars Mission, arctic, medieval, or dinosaurs.

Point-and-Click

Though many probably never think of it much as such, both MNOLG titles were point-and-click adventure games as well as revered classics. P&C's are also more popular now thanks to heavy-hitting titles like TellTale's The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, and even older titles like Tales of Monkey Island. A good P&C that takes TellTale's lead and puts enough love into the story instead of just being a tedious string of use-the-thing-with-the-thing puzzles could do well I imagine. It could also do well for most any LEGO theme I imagine. Still, Johnny Thunder/Adventures comes to mind as does Hero Factory.

Racing

I've never been that big of a racing game fan, but I've still managed to accumulate a fair share. LEGO Racers was amazing with LEGO Racers 2 being less-so I feel. LR2 felt to me like little more than a reskin of just about any other kart racer out there. The only thing "LEGO" about it that I can remember was building the vehicle(s). The power-ups weren't that exciting, the open world exploration was boring to me, and the "campaign" was uninteresting. The first game seemed tighter and more focused. It also did something unique that I've yet to see in any other kart racer: building the power-ups. It is probably the single thing I missed most while playing LR2. Instead of just getting a random power-up you could actually choose from several color-coded classes (offense, shield, speed, and hazard) to fit your strategy. You could then either use it right away or hold off and collect white bricks to make it more powerful and change the effect; this was a nice bit of risk/reward.

My suggestions for a new racer would be to bring back the non-random buildable power-ups. What I'd really like to see is for this to be taken one step further. Instead of just picking a color and then making it more powerful, make it so we can mix-and-match different power-up classes for new power-ups/effects. Offense/shield could give you a drone that hovers around you and blasts racers who get too close. Hazard/speed could leave a trap that makes a racer zoom forward but with their steering locked (potentially sending them off an edge, onto a longer path, or into some other environmental hazard). Also keeping with the LEGO theme, a custom track builder with online sharing support would be a major plus. I must also mention Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (the best kart racer available IMO) because of the difficulty levels. The game is very accessible to younger players on easier difficulties, but at higher difficulties it becomes extremely skill-based and you have to rely on well-timed boosts from power-slides and stunts making it great for older players who are looking for depth. Finally, not only does a kart racer work with any theme, it benefits by including multiple themes. Seeing Duncan Bulk zooming right alongside Darth Vader, Johnny Thunder, Mazeka, and the Ninjago ninjas would be a dream come true for me. And let's not forget, I'm not a big fan of racing games.

Role-Playing Game

I haven't a whole lot to say about RPGs in this regard, despite being my favorite game genre. What really makes an RPG good is having enough depth and complexity which typically include a lot of numbers and dialogue, something I feel wouldn't mesh well with with the younger target demographic LEGO would want to make their games available for. Obviously, if LEGO were to make an RPG, it would need to be using a theme that has a significant world behind it like Bioncle.

On a side note however, turn-based JRPGs like Final Fantasy and Pokemon are a different matter entirely. Cthulhu Saves the World is still to this day one of my favorite games. I could easily see Hero Factory, Legends of Chima, or Ninjago lending themselves to this specific genre.

MMOs

I don't play MMOs because every single one I've ever tried I've never liked (except maybe POTCO, but I was just dinging around anyway). I feel like there's a great MMO out there just waiting for me, but I don't feel like it'll ever be a LEGO one for demographic reasons (unless a convincing Bionicle one was made).

MOBAs

No.

Minecraft Clone

Also no.

Side-Scrolling Platformers

I look at games like Terraria and Starbound and I can't help but feel that these would make great for a LEGO-themed game. At the end of the day though, you've still just got a Terraria/Starbound clone. There are other side-scrollers though and it's not the most complex or restraining genre to figure out. I don't feel like I need to say anything much about the matter.

Puzzle

It seems to me that if you're making a puzzle game in today's world and you're not designing it primarily for browsers and iDevices (and it isn't first-person like Portal, Antichamber, or Quantum Conundrum), you're wasting your time.

Turn-Based Strategy

I feel like a good turn-based strategy game with enough depth for me to enjoy it faces the demographic problem again. All I've got to say is this: XCOM: Enemy Within is phenomenal.

First/Third Person Shooters

I found Bionicle Heroes to be way too repetitive, so much so that I never finished it. This could be another case of the demographic clash, especially since many younger players probably can't grasp those kinds of controls that well (which would explain Heroes' generous auto-aim). A shame, really. I could sure go for some Half-Life Bonkles.

Adventure

I've saved the most ambiguous and pigeon-hole-able genre for last. For me though, the best examples of good adventure games include titles like Rayman 2/3, Legend of Zelda/Darksiders, Beyond Good and Evil, and the console version of Spider-Man 2. Particularly Darksiders and Spider-Man for their move combos/spectacle fighter-esque combat. Again, Chima, Ninjago, Hero Factory, Bionicle would all lend themselves.

That's all I got for now. More later maybe.

Takuma Nuva

Edited by Takuma Nuva

76561198002924926.png

If The Good Lord had intended us to walk

He would not have invented roller skates.
-- Willy Wonka

It also did something unique that I've yet to see in any other kart racer: building the power-ups. It is probably the single thing I missed most while playing LR2. Instead of just getting a random power-up you could actually choose from several color-coded classes (offense, shield, speed, and hazard) to fit your strategy. You could then either use it right away or hold off and collect white bricks to make it more powerful and change the effect; this was a nice bit of risk/reward.

*cough*

Diddy Kong Racing did that two years before LEGO Racers, and ModNation Racers has a similar system from what I've heard, even the warp power-up. There are likely more with similar ideas. But LEGO Racers wasn't the first or only game to do it. I like the idea, and would like to see it re-visited in a future game, but LEGO Racers didn't do a very good job of balancing it - most of the time you only needed green bricks/turbo power-ups.

Note: all of these suggestions are requested to be made by TT Games.

Other Note: Takuma Nuva's post is quite a good idea.  I strongly second those opinions (except for the one about how TT games is shovelwork).

If Doctor Who gets through on the Ideas line, I would really like to see that as a huge Whovian myself.  The open world could possibly a combination of Gallifrey and London, and the gate between the two is the TARDIS.  An original story would definitely be appreciated by many, you could have all the doctors come together (like in Day of The Doctor).

I would also like to see another one based off an unlicensed LEGO theme, like Undercover.  I would personally like to see a sort of spinoff of that based on the Space Police theme, but that's just me.  Or a Castle one where you play as a knight in a war between the dark wizard and the kingdom.  Or possibly a Ninjago or Exo-Force one.  Who knows?  There are so many ideas out there!

Also, just if you run out of ideas, you could do one based off of the other episodes of The Clone Wars.

TheGeekIgnika, the caffeinated cyber-ninja.  Or just some idiot with a computer.  You choose.

If I sounded like a geek in this

post, you are correct.

"Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection.  It means never having to play it cool about about how much you like something.  It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult.  Being a geek is extremely liberating." - Simon Pegg

99% of BZPower has grown out of this pointless fad. If you're part of the 1% willing

to cling to it out of an irrational pseudo-nostalgia, copy and paste this into your signature!

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.  Even me.

It also did something unique that I've yet to see in any other kart racer: building the power-ups. It is probably the single thing I missed most while playing LR2. Instead of just getting a random power-up you could actually choose from several color-coded classes (offense, shield, speed, and hazard) to fit your strategy. You could then either use it right away or hold off and collect white bricks to make it more powerful and change the effect; this was a nice bit of risk/reward.

*cough*

Diddy Kong Racing did that two years before LEGO Racers, and ModNation Racers has a similar system from what I've heard, even the warp power-up. There are likely more with similar ideas. But LEGO Racers wasn't the first or only game to do it. I like the idea, and would like to see it re-visited in a future game, but LEGO Racers didn't do a very good job of balancing it - most of the time you only needed green bricks/turbo power-ups.

Fair enough, but my point still stands because I hadn't seen it. :P

Takuma Nuva

76561198002924926.png

If The Good Lord had intended us to walk

He would not have invented roller skates.
-- Willy Wonka

I'd like to see a Lego game where you can build your own vehicles, buildings and even weapons. I'm also thinking something like Lego Fusion would be good but on a bigger scale, like instead of building facades you can actually build your creations, then scan them into the game (like say, use the camera on a 3DS or some kind of console accessory to take pictures) and use in game tools to tweak them to work for gameplay.

They could also do something (realistically unreasonable) and create a game like Project Spark, but Lego-fied (once again, a rather unrealistic wish but hey, Halo's forge and Lego Digital Designer inspired me).

Heck, if they brought back the Lego Universe game concept as a console MMO I'd be interested in that.

But here's a list of small requests to simplify things:

• More elements that involve creativity (and not something like the instruction sheet from the Lego Movie game)
  • If it's a game in the Lego Star Wars game format, please make some more inventive and new puzzles instead of re-hashing old mechanics in "new" ways.
  • Adding on to the previous one, I feel that vehicles in Lego games would work better if the drove like in other games, with right and left triggers for gas brakes and the control stick for vertical flight. (Using A and B and using those loose turning controls in Lego Marvel superheroes SUCKED. NEVER AGAIN please.)
  • Maybe make more official LEGO theme games like back in the days of Rock Raiders and heck, even Bionicle! I don't think we need more liscenced theme games.

And so ends my list of humble *I roll my eyes at myself* requests.

ETC... Replies:

A Hero Factory multiplayer FPS. That's all.

I think third person would might work better there.

Edited by Drakua Toa of Rahi
  • Upvote 1

waffleman2010.png

*Click Banner to go to the Sikza Spriting Kit topic

If Doctor Who gets through on the Ideas line, I would really like to see that as a huge Whovian myself.  The open world could possibly a combination of Gallifrey and London, and the gate between the two is the TARDIS.  An original story would definitely be appreciated by many, you could have all the doctors come together (like in Day of The Doctor).

Yes! Honestly, if there was one game I wouldn't mind a Tt treatment, it would be this. I've already dreamed of opening doors with the Sonic, travelling through planets and encountering alien races through the different Doctors. Not that Tt would be the only way to make it.

LEGO Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Ninjago games in the style on LEGO Batman, LOTR, etc. would be cool.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

You mean the same thing that Lego was doing sense Lego Star Wars then added small thing as they moved along.

Yes! My family and I have a lot of fun with those games and my kids and I really enjoy Ninjago and TMNT.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

RTS

I've long said that Rock Raiders is my favorite LEGO video game so let's start with real-time strategy. RR is by no means perfect. Quite frankly, I feel there is a lot of wasted potential with this title. What I feel set Rock Riaders apart as a RTS was the focus on base-building more than combat (like most of your RTS titles). With fighting RTS's, you're racing against the clock to try and beat the enemy to your high-tier units and such. RR was nice because it was a bit more laid-back which also made it accessible to a younger audience. In a console-dominated market, RTS isn't as strong of a choice to be sure (though the argument could be made that such a laid-back RTS could potentially work okay with a controller). At the same time however, there's no denying that there's still an audience for it. Rock Raiders United and all the mods for RR are proof of that.

An RTS that capitalizes more on resources gathering a base-building would immediately grab my attention. Fitting themes for such could include another "mining" one like RR or Power Miners, an outer space one like Life on Mars/Mars Mission, arctic, medieval, or dinosaurs.

I know it's perhaps not exactly what you're thinking of, but have you played LEGO Battles? Despite its rudimentary pixel graphics (which were used mainly so the game could support a lot of action both on-screen and off-screen on the Nintendo DS), I think it was a pretty decent RTS game. It had six quests focused on evergreen LEGO themes like Castle, Pirates, and Space (two quests for each theme, so the protagonists of one campaign would be the antagonists of the other). Its sequel/spin-off LEGO Battles Ninjago was also cool, though it was a little bit unusual for an RTS game in that generally your forces were specific, individual characters rather than unlimited generic forces. It earns some points for essentially following the official Ninjago story from 2011, with some changes along the way for the sake of gameplay (the Floating Ruins better match their description in the LEGO Ninjago chapter books than their depiction in the TV episodes).

Puzzle

It seems to me that if you're making a puzzle game in today's world and you're not designing it primarily for browsers and iDevices (and it isn't first-person like Portal, Antichamber, or Quantum Conundrum), you're wasting your time.

Depends on what sort of puzzle game it is. One of my favorite game series in recent years has been the Professor Layton series, which is basically a point-and-click adventure game like the Mata Nui Online Game, but the core gameplay is all different kinds of puzzles. People you tap will give you puzzles, or you can find hidden puzzles by tapping certain background objects. Certain puzzles have to be solved to advance the story, others are optional but earn you unlockable extras in the post-game and help you meet certain checkpoints that ask you to have a certain number of puzzles solved. Really fun series. The Professor Layton games have all been for DS or Nintendo 3DS rather than iDevices or browsers, though, and have been wildly successful on those systems.

No telling how good that format would be for promotional media. After all, the Professor Layton games aren't supporting a line of merchandise. It's true that handheld video game systems have a big overlap in audience with many LEGO themes, hence games like Laval's Journey or the new LEGO Ninjago: Nindroids, but mobile gaming is definitely on the rise. Even the Professor Layton series has had an iOS/Android spin-off in the form of Layton Brothers: Mystery Room.

You mean the same thing that Lego was doing sense Lego Star Wars then added small thing as they moved along.

Yes! My family and I have a lot of fun with those games and my kids and I really enjoy Ninjago and TMNT.

Ya it is fun buuuut from having the same gameplay for like 8 years and just doing small changes kinda get boring in my opinion. I would love to see a LEGO chess game again and a LEGO racer game.

Ya it is fun buuuut from having the same gameplay for like 8 years and just doing small changes kinda get boring in my opinion. I would love to see a LEGO chess game again and a LEGO racer game.

It CAN get boring—I'll admit that, having not bought a Lego game based on a licensed theme since the first Lego Batman. However, they're still massively successful in for the same reason as Lego City's repeated fire and police themes are: longtime fans like us are not necessarily Lego's target audience for these games. Lego knows better than to expect the majority of its fans to buy every one of their games (especially the licensed ones, which fans will only be likely to buy if they're fans of that specific license) or to expect a kid who has "grown out of Lego," as so many kids do, to maintain that passion for the games. So Lego and TT Games have perfected a formula that can be easily adapted to various Lego licensed themes, with fun and simple gameplay that can be improved upon in every subsequent title. I agree that that formula definitely shouldn't be the limit of what Lego video games are like, but in an era of ever-increasing production costs for video games, the Lego licensed games consistently sell well and review well, and in doing so, expand Lego's audience to fans of the properties they adapt. So why tell a fan of, say, Ninja Turtles, that they shouldn't get a similar game just because fans of Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc. are tired of them?

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother