Mata Nui The Online Game: Collector's Edition

How long will we be able to donate? 

I'd love to help out, but I'm missing the cash at the moment. :/

We haven't set a deadline.. yet. one will probably have to be set once the Kickstarter page is live which leads me to...

Is a kickstarter page up yet?

As far as I'm aware, no.

Indeed not. XONAR is working on setting that up, but unfortunately, this requires an Amazon Payments account which I apparently am unable to set up myself because I'm Canadian. (..????) I've been focused on moving for the last couple of weeks, so I haven't had as much time as I would have liked to devote to this project. However, I'm somewhat settled in now and slowly getting back into the swing of things. I've shot XONAR a message via Skype asking for an update on that setup. In the meantime, as we've mentioned, there is a donate button on the top post which will link directly to XONAR's PayPal account. As usual, we'll keep you guys posted.

EDIT: Hey look at that, we have a page 3 now! Woo. :P

Edited by Vahkiti: Time Guardian
  • Upvote 1

BZP2024.jpg

Admin of Mask Of Destiny. Founder of The Beaverhouse, Litestone, & 810NICLE Day.

I'm excited to see where this goes, especially if you can get some better quality music in there! 

However, I can't help but think that injection molding/printing through shapeways and dyeing parts a little bit of a hassle. I would think it would be easier to print those things on a local 3d printer and either brush them with acetone or use the acetone gas method on them. In my experiences, something like an Up Mini is quite good for parts this scale, especially the more complex curves and what not. 

As was previously mentioned, I would love too see those models on thingiverse or something likewise, I think they would be pretty cool to print.

• Upvote 1

its canceled now? what happened?

Due to an unanticipated wariness of off-site fans, and the feedback they had to offer, we have temporarily cancelled the Kickstarter until we can get legal approval from LEGO. For the time being, we're going to focus on retooling the box art, however the project itself will very likely still remain active.

• Upvote 1

BZP2024.jpg

Admin of Mask Of Destiny. Founder of The Beaverhouse, Litestone, & 810NICLE Day.

We received a lot of backlash when this was posted on Reddit, and because the general consensus seemed to be "take down the KS" we obliged. The following day, we learned that the project had been reported to LEGO, we assume by one of the Reddit commenters. LEGO is obligated to not ignore reports like this, so things have become slightly more difficult now. There needs to be some slight changes made to the project in order for it to comply with LEGO's treatment of fan-created media.

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

If it's cancelled can we at least get the soundtrack? :'(

It's not canceled. We're just working out some technicalities before resuming work on the game and parts.

Thank goodness

As it stands right now, XONAR and I are currently working on retooling the box art. With that done, and all but the Templar Studios logo removed, I see no reason to believe the project can't pick up right where it left off sans the Kickstarter. I think I speak for all of SolisMagna when I say that we MAY have jumped the gun a little on that one.

O3cgo1I.png

• Upvote 2

BZP2024.jpg

From what I've seen so far everything you guys created looks absolutely amazing. I and probably many others always wished for a Mata Nui Online Game with better visuals, as some areas (like the beach you mentioned) can look very ugly. I've already spend hours looking through all kinds of galleries to find remade artworks of all those locations... and to get all of them in one game? It's better than anything I could've ever wished for!

The extras included are stunning! The animated Pakari looks exactly like in the game and that bag will surely come in handy! I don' think it's possible to create anything really similar to it with normal Bionicle pieces, so a 3D-printed part is nice to have!

I'm not sure when you plan to release it, how far the progress came so far, but when the time comes (for a kickstarter, probably) I'll make sure to buy a copy of this amazing project!

• Upvote 1

wnimDt6.jpg

EXztX3v.jpg

Is there anything new that wasn't in the original MNOG being added into MNOG CE? 

It'd be cool if they could add in that Tahu cutscene that wasn't used in the revised 2006 version.

You mean the one actually used in the BMP real time save version of the game which we're basing ours off of anyways? :P

Really sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm gunna assume the mask and backpack aren't going to be free, so much in estimate will they cost?

I think via Shapeways they will cost about $6 each not including shipping and the cost of dyes, hence why we were so anxious to crowdfund for an injection moulding machine.

• Upvote 1

BZP2024.jpg

Is there anything new that wasn't in the original MNOG being added into MNOG CE? 

It'd be cool if they could add in that Tahu cutscene that wasn't used in the revised 2006 version.

You mean the one actually used in the BMP real time save version of the game which we're basing ours off of anyways? :P

YeeaaaahhhhThat one!

I also vaguely recall that, originally (or maybe the concept went unused entirely), when you played your flute to have a bird come and get you, it would randomly choose a cutscene between a Kewa getting you or another bird (a Kahu, maybe?) getting you instead. This isn't present in any versions of the game I played - it's always been the Kewa. JMMB once tried to set up something where it could randomize the cutscenes, but it always froze after the not-supposed-to-be-used Kahu cutscene. Are there any plans for this, or are you just completely confused about what I just typed?

YeeaaaahhhhThat one!

I also vaguely recall that, originally (or maybe the concept went unused entirely), when you played your flute to have a bird come and get you, it would randomly choose a cutscene between a Kewa getting you or another bird (a Kahu, maybe?) getting you instead. This isn't present in any versions of the game I played - it's always been the Kewa. JMMB once tried to set up something where it could randomize the cutscenes, but it always froze after the not-supposed-to-be-used Kahu cutscene. Are there any plans for this, or are you just completely confused about what I just typed?

Ever since the official 2006 release, the game has contained two files for this: KahuRide.swf, the original used for about two or three months back in 2001, and KewaRide.swf, which inexplicably replaced KahuRide sometime shortly before 2002. In my experience, swapping the file names has always worked for restoring one or the other, so whatever problems JMMB was having must have only been with his code. For originality's sake, we're likely going to use the original KahuRide cutscene and maybe clean up the map screen graphic a bit.

• Upvote 2

BZP2024.jpg

This project looks amazing, but I'm wondering how the minigames will function. I went back to play MNOG on my Windows 7 laptop, and the Le-Koro Nui Rama sky battle was impossible because my computer was too fast. The Rahi would hit and run in a second. Back when I played it on my Windows ME tower computer, the game was challenging, but I really had to go out of my way to lose.The Po-Koro Nui-Jaga cave battle wasn't too bad, but I can only tremble at how the Kini-Nui battles will perform on newer hardware.

Will the game start like the re-release, where you start out with the backpack and lightstone, or will it start like the 2001 version, where you have to find them?

Also, will there be any dialogue edits? (Such as the "ancient carvers"?) The dialogue may have to be edited for continuity's sake. If the dialogue is revised, will it fall in the original continuity or in the Solis Magna fanon?

Even though one of the Collector's Edition bonuses is a MNOG Pakari, will the in-game graphics use the more accurate Pakari design from the 2002-2003 animations?

Actually, now thinking about it, will there be a classic mode that is a graphical update of the 2001 classic and a new mode that adds new features, like scrapped minigames, new dialogue, and other edits?

Edited by AceGreenLegend
  • Upvote 1

- Bionicle Fan since 2002

- Former Lego Universe Alpha/Beta Tester

- Owner of The AGL Group

This project looks amazing, but I'm wondering how the minigames will function. I went back to play MNOG on my Windows 7 laptop, and the Le-Koro Nui Rama sky battle was impossible because my computer was too fast. The Rahi would hit and run in a second. Back when I played it on my Windows ME tower computer, the game was challenging, but I really had to go out of my way to lose.The Po-Koro Nui-Jaga cave battle wasn't too bad, but I can only tremble at how the Kini-Nui battles will perform on newer hardware.

Will the game start like the re-release, where you start out with the backpack and lightstone, or will it start like the 2001 version, where you have to find them?

Also, will there be any dialogue edits? (Such as the "ancient carvers"?) The dialogue may have to be edited for continuity's sake. If the dialogue is revised, will it fall in the original continuity or in the Solis Magna fanon?

Even though one of the Collector's Edition bonuses is a MNOG Pakari, will the in-game graphics use the more accurate Pakari design from the 2002-2003 animations?

You might have to ask JMMB of BioMediaProject about that one, since it's a topic that has been brought up before. Best I can recall, his explanation was that the game was only meant to run at 20fps, but never had a frame limiter programmed in. As a result, it tends to act like those old After Dark screensavers when run on a newer computer. I'm not sure if he ever tried to make a patch, but it wouldn't hurt to try and get a hold of him about it. Rest assured however that if he does make one, we will implement it.

Which brings me to my next point; the game itself and the dialogue will all be based on BioMediaProject's real time save version of the game, which restores the original text, along with the original path of progression such as finding the backpack, and the aforementioned Tahu and Kahu cutscenes. The Pakari in the game will be... difficult. I say this solely because of Onua. In various scenes, he wears a different one, but as it stands now, I'm tempted to have him use the one seen in the Lewa vs. Onua scene throughout the game and pass off the Takua variant as a Noble Pakari.

Actually, now thinking about it, will there be a classic mode that is a graphical update of the 2001 classic and a new mode that adds new features, like scrapped minigames, new dialogue, and other edits?

Boy, you really hit that nail on the head! We have been toying around with the idea of a Nights HD style classic mode for some time, along with the concept of scrapped minigames such as the "Search For Onua" for some time now. We thought it best however not to announce anything just yet, as we weren't certain if we could pull it off. Better rather to focus on the main game for now, and offer that as DLC later.

• Upvote 2

BZP2024.jpg

I must admit, this idea is incredible. Sorta reminds me of 343 with Halo: CE Anniversary. Something I think would be cool (though it's possible it may not be made) would be to release a full Takua 2001 tohunga figure. Some people out there (sadly, including me) no longer have our 2001 tohungas. I don't know how much money could that cost or how much work could be done, but it's only a suggestion.

Other than that, this looks amazing. On a side note, it could be awesome if you could switch the graphics. From the original game, to the new ones, (I know, I know I'm going Halo Anniversary...) 

• Upvote 1

Retired Po-Koro Trader

ZpPVLQ.jpg

...Something I think would be cool (though it's possible it may not be made) would be to release a full Takua 2001 tohunga figure. Some people out there (sadly, including me) no longer have our 2001 tohungas. I don't know how much money could that cost or how much work could be done, but it's only a suggestion.

Unfortunately that won't be possible, since we would have to take it upon ourselves to order massive amounts of parts off of Bricklink. That was part of SM's original plan to release sets, but it didn't exactly work out too well since we couldn't get a consistent supplier.

BZP2024.jpg

Hello! I heard you were looking for sound people. I started practicing electronic music and sound design nearly two years ago. I thought I might be of assistance.

I can remaster low quality MP3 Files, see here for a before and after.

I also produce music, you can see examples of my electronic productions here.

• Upvote 1

Hello! I heard you were looking for sound people. I started practicing electronic music and sound design nearly two years ago. I thought I might be of assistance.

What you've provided sounds decent, but it's not as high a quality as we would be hoping for. If given the original samples, would you be able to make a more.. consistent mix out of them? The only other real option we had considered is finding somebody who could actually recreate the sounds since even Templar is missing a lot of the data.

• Upvote 1

BZP2024.jpg

What you've provided sounds decent, but it's not as high a quality as we would be hoping for. If given the original samples, would you be able to make a more.. consistent mix out of them? The only other real option we had considered is finding somebody who could actually recreate the sounds since even Templar is missing a lot of the data.

Definitely. That was the only file I had on hand, so i couldn't really get a feel for the remastering. 

• Upvote 1

Definitely. That was the only file I had on hand, so i couldn't really get a feel for the remastering. 

In that case, I'll rip you the individual tracks and PM the files to you. I won't ask you to do a HUGE amount right now, but just name the tune, throw together a few seconds of sound, and hopefully everyone on the team can agree on the quality. :)

• Upvote 1

BZP2024.jpg

In that case, I'll rip you the individual tracks and PM the files to you. I won't ask you to do a HUGE amount right now, but just name the tune, throw together a few seconds of sound, and hopefully everyone on the team can agree on the quality. :)

Alright, i'll get on that.

• Upvote 1

MINOR UPDATE:

It seems the Kickstarter failed at just the right time. Shapeways has gone ahead and introduced full colour plastic printing, which will almost halve the cost of the final products since we no longer require the use of dyes. It also means we can potentially add extra designs to the parts, and maybe even a MNOLG Pakari disk, and that we no longer have to simply estimate the colours, but can now exactly match them to 2001 parts. Since the material is currently in the testing phases itself, I had to sign up to gain access. I'll keep you guys informed.

Also on the suggestion of one of our.. interesting posters on our seemingly dedicated TTV episode, XONAR is beginning work to set up a website for the game. To that end, we have decided that when enough progress is made, we'll be releasing the game episodically as Templar did back in 2001, and then ultimately the final complete product after the last chapter is completed.

• Upvote 2

BZP2024.jpg

...we'll be releasing the game episodically as Templar did back in 2001, and then ultimately the final complete product after the last chapter is completed.

Awesome! I always wondered what it would be like to play it like the original release, with certain sections blocked off until the next chapter was released, since I didn't play the original until 2002 or 2003.

MINOR UPDATE:

It seems the Kickstarter failed at just the right time. Shapeways has gone ahead and introduced full colour plastic printing, which will almost halve the cost of the final products since we no longer require the use of dyes. It also means we can potentially add extra designs to the parts, and maybe even a MNOLG Pakari disk, and that we no longer have to simply estimate the colours, but can now exactly match them to 2001 parts. Since the material is currently in the testing phases itself, I had to sign up to gain access. I'll keep you guys informed.

Also on the suggestion of one of our.. interesting posters on our seemingly dedicated TTV episode, XONAR is beginning work to set up a website for the game. To that end, we have decided that when enough progress is made, we'll be releasing the game episodically as Templar did back in 2001, and then ultimately the final complete product after the last chapter is completed.

Will we have to wait like a month and a half for each episode to unlock like back in 01'? Can't it be a week or something?

Will we have to wait like a month and a half for each episode to unlock like back in 01'? Can't it be a week or something?

I'd assume that since they aren't actively making and programming stuff, just redoing textures and sound files, it'll be a much shorter wait. I have no idea though, because I don't know how they do these things.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I'd assume that since they aren't actively making and programming stuff, just redoing textures and sound files, it'll be a much shorter wait. I have no idea though, because I don't know how they do these things.

We are actually making "stuff" in the sense that we're remaking a lot of graphics from scratch, and adding in some additional things.  We will also be doing some programming since a new user interface is being developed, along with a few things that we won't mention just yet. :) I can't give an accurate estimate as to the wait time right now, unfortunately.

Bliss.png

MINOR UPDATE:

It seems the Kickstarter failed at just the right time. Shapeways has gone ahead and introduced full colour plastic printing, which will almost halve the cost of the final products since we no longer require the use of dyes. It also means we can potentially add extra designs to the parts, and maybe even a MNOLG Pakari disk, and that we no longer have to simply estimate the colours, but can now exactly match them to 2001 parts. Since the material is currently in the testing phases itself, I had to sign up to gain access. I'll keep you guys informed.

Full color plastic...?  :o

Dear god, how come I haven't heard of that yet. That sounds amazing.

Hail Denmark