Which Hero Factory set did you purchase or obtain first?

This topic was created for people to share and discuss their experiences with the first Hero Factory set they got. I'm very interested in the choices people made when it came to choosing what Hero Factory set would be their first one, when they got it, how they got it, etc. 

The first Hero Factory set i got was Stringer from the original line of sets first released in July, 2010. I slowly got interested in the story of Hero Factory starting from August of 2010, but it wasn't until sometime around October that i purchased Stringer at my local Woolworths of that time. It's weird that my first Hero Factory set i got came from a store mainly focused on food products. It was only one month later and i got the other five heroes. 

So, discuss below, if you so choose to. :)

Original Preston Stormer for me! See, I collect every Stormer not because he's a good character to me. In real life, we share a first name. LEGO never uses my name, so when I learned Stormer's name, I kinda wanted to get him. I've never held up a pattern for this long.

mindeth the cobwebs

I forgot which of the original 2010 heroes I got first, Breez or Stringer.  I was never too impressed with those builds, which had the worse of the overly simplified aspects of Bionicle.  :shrugs:  The next wave of Heroes with the new ball joint system was much better, and I believe I got Evo first for the yellow and purple.

:music:

Original Preston Stormer for me! See, I collect every Stormer not because he's a good character to me. In real life, we share a first name. LEGO never uses my name, so when I learned Stormer's name, I kinda wanted to get him. I've never held up a pattern for this long.

Oh sweet, your name is Preston?!, that's awesome. I don't know anyone in real life named Preston. It's very underrated in my opinion and i must say, you are very lucky to have such a unique name.

Edited by Rooster Nui

mine was Meltdown. i got him from a gift exchange game at Brickfair 2010 - took him right out of a 10-year-old's hands. i still feel a little guilty about that.

...but only a little because Meltdown is the best villain set of his line

Edited by Trans Girl Tamaru
  • Upvote 2

My first Hero Factory set was Stormer 2.0. When Hero Factory was first revealed, I liked the concept and the aesthetic, but I was starting to become aware of how much my BIONICLE collection was impacting my wallet, so I was reluctant to buy any of the sets. Instead I continued to invest in the System themes I was into like Power Miners, Space Police, and Atlantis. Before long I realized that I wasn't saving very much money by skipping constraction!

When the new building system was revealed, I was very impressed with it on a number of levels. Not only did it do away with the pitifully simplistic designs that characterized the BIONICLE Stars and the first wave of Hero Factory heroes, but it had a fantastic, smooth aesthetic that I recognized would work really great with Technic and System. Plus, it finally corrected the issue of fragile joints that had plagued constraction sets for many years. After reading some reviews I decided I had to get a couple sets just to see what they offered. And before long my brother and I owned most of the Ordeal of Fire sets. :P

Stormer 2.0 stood out as a good first purchase for several reasons. He offered one of the best piece counts out of the 2.0 heroes, his color scheme looked like it would be useful for building creations with the Space Police sets I had with me at college at the time, and he just generally had a cool design. Once I got him, I was even more impressed with him in many respects. It was incredible to realize that after 10 years, constraction had returned to sets with a similar size and piece count to the Toa Mata, but with the 13 points of articulation and versatile layered design that later sets had pioneered.

Furno 1.0, Surge 1.0, Stringer 1.0, Rotor and Corroder were my first Hero Factory Sets. I got the other 3 heroes, Furno bike and Von Nebula later and then the other villains years later when I made 2.0 versions of the 1.0 villains.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Oh sweet, your name is Preston?!, that's awesome. I don't know anyone in real life named Preston. It's very underrated in my opinion and i must say, you are very lucky to have such a unique name.

Yeah! And thanks! It's a pretty nice name. My head turns whenever I hear that name on TV! :D

mindeth the cobwebs

Like the OP, my first HF model was Stringer 1.0. I felt that the first wave was so-so, and in particular I decided that the Rookie 1 sets were slightly better than the veteran sets because I think the "weapon arm" idea on Stringer, Bulk, and Stormer was poorly implemented. They limited articulation, only looked good from one angle, and were different lengths than the non-weapon arms. Compare to Furno, Surge, and Breez's weapons that allowed them to have hand articulation and also made them symmetrical, plus had interesting dual functions reminiscent of BIONICLE's (Furno and Breez's could be stored on their shoulders, and Surge's could be linked together).

I have since gotten Furno and Breez from the original wave, as well as some others from throughout the line. I have 16 overall.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I forgot which of the original 2010 heroes I got first, Breez or Stringer.  I was never too impressed with those builds, which had the worse of the overly simplified aspects of Bionicle.  :shrugs:  The next wave of Heroes with the new ball joint system was much better, and I believe I got Evo first for the yellow and purple.

:music:

I wasn't impressed with them either, but i also didn't mind them, seeing as they were just the first ones and at that time i had hope that they would improve, in which they definitely did. I also got Evo 2.0 first for the 2nd wave, along with Furno 2.0 on the same day.

Like the OP, my first HF model was Stringer 1.0. I felt that the first wave was so-so, and in particular I decided that the Rookie 1 sets were slightly better than the veteran sets because I think the "weapon arm" idea on Stringer, Bulk, and Stormer was poorly implemented. They limited articulation, only looked good from one angle, and were different lengths than the non-weapon arms. Compare to Furno, Surge, and Breez's weapons that allowed them to have hand articulation and also made them symmetrical, plus had interesting dual functions reminiscent of BIONICLE's (Furno and Breez's could be stored on their shoulders, and Surge's could be linked together).

I have since gotten Furno and Breez from the original wave, as well as some others from throughout the line. I have 16 overall.

Yeah, i also wasn't fascinated by the weapon designs for the Alpha Team veterans of that time, though the look of Stormer's weapon was pretty cool.

mine was Meltdown. i got him from a gift exchange game at Brickfair 2010 - took him right out of a 10-year-old's hands. i still feel a little guilty about that.

...but only a little because Meltdown is the best villain set of his line

I thought Meltdown was pretty awesome aswell. Unfortunately i don't have him, nor a few of the other villains from the original wave... oh well, i have every other Hero Factory set to date. :D

My first Hero Factory set was Stormer 2.0. When Hero Factory was first revealed, I liked the concept and the aesthetic, but I was starting to become aware of how much my BIONICLE collection was impacting my wallet, so I was reluctant to buy any of the sets. Instead I continued to invest in the System themes I was into like Power Miners, Space Police, and Atlantis. Before long I realized that I wasn't saving very much money by skipping constraction!

When the new building system was revealed, I was very impressed with it on a number of levels. Not only did it do away with the pitifully simplistic designs that characterized the BIONICLE Stars and the first wave of Hero Factory heroes, but it had a fantastic, smooth aesthetic that I recognized would work really great with Technic and System. Plus, it finally corrected the issue of fragile joints that had plagued constraction sets for many years. After reading some reviews I decided I had to get a couple sets just to see what they offered. And before long my brother and I owned most of the Ordeal of Fire sets. :P

Stormer 2.0 stood out as a good first purchase for several reasons. He offered one of the best piece counts out of the 2.0 heroes, his color scheme looked like it would be useful for building creations with the Space Police sets I had with me at college at the time, and he just generally had a cool design. Once I got him, I was even more impressed with him in many respects. It was incredible to realize that after 10 years, constraction had returned to sets with a similar size and piece count to the Toa Mata, but with the 13 points of articulation and versatile layered design that later sets had pioneered.

Yeah, my wallet was getting hungry for some cash aswell. I thought that focusing on videogames and staying away from Hero Factory would save me some money due to the increased prices of Lego sets in Australia. I was wrong when it came to running out of Xbox Live Gold membership trials. I don't like paying for online gaming. :D

Jawblade was what I guess one could call an impulse buy for me. I can't even say what attracted me, besides the fact that sharks are generally adorable.

I should have bought a hero to go along with the set, but I make up for it by pitting Jawblade against my Lt. Hawkeye figurine from time to time.

My first (and only) HF set is Jet Rocka from last year. Spot the impulse buyer lol

He is just insanely awesome and he also provided my first experience with the new building system. I confess, when this system was originally introduced, I didn't realize it was compatible with Technic parts and so lost interest in the line for a couple of years.

Jet Rocka is also the only recent HF set I've even seen on sale in my country. I remember seeing the 2.0 Heroes on sale, but nothing since then except lots of Chima stuff filling the spaces where our beloved canisters used to be....

11f40ad3-a706-4876-98bb-d654857048d6_zps

HEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S DEKKY!

New comedy: The Time Before Time 

New artwork: Keetorange Productions Animation Studio

Not sure if this counts but I have the Rocka Breakout helmet (just the helmet :P the one from the 11 year spinny)

I ordered a bulk of random minifigures off of eBay and the helmet just happened to be there but I'm glad it was because now I have all of the spinny masks except Breeze.

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

Jawblade was what I guess one could call an impulse buy for me. I can't even say what attracted me, besides the fact that sharks are generally adorable.

I should have bought a hero to go along with the set, but I make up for it by pitting Jawblade against my Lt. Hawkeye figurine from time to time.

Adorable isn't the first word that I would use to describe a shark. Or the second. Or third.

Surge 1.0. As much as the 2.0 sets improved everything, I think that the 1.0 heroes have their own special kind of charm. Plus he had dual lightning guns and how can you say no to that. I have all but the minifig surge now.

Edited by ~Shockwave~

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Not sure if this counts but I have the Rocka Breakout helmet (just the helmet :P the one from the 11 year spinny)

I ordered a bulk of random minifigures off of eBay and the helmet just happened to be there but I'm glad it was because now I have all of the spinny masks except Breeze.

Well, i guess it could be "the first Hero Factory piece you got". :D Yeah, i'll count it.

I don't remember where I got my but all I remember is one of my parents give it to me when they gotten home, so I think it's was Wal-Mart or Target. The set I gotten was two Heroes and it's was Furno and Bulk.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Von Nebula was my first set, and I was one of the first people to get it that I know of online :P

I then bought Stormer, Surge, Bulk, Breez, Furno and Stringer all together. Then Meltdown, Corroder and Xplode all together, then I bought the Dropship.

I was so happy when I got it and then when I continued buying more and more Hero Factory only for the reason that I wanted to have a complete collection, and then I realised that was crazy and sold them all :P

~ Argentum

I got Breakout Evo and Core Hunter simultaneously, as IMO, they were the strongest sets of their year. Although I enjoyed my first experience with the new building system, I can't stop being bored by the sheer blandness and lack of varitey the shell plates offer.

- Heir

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

I'd like to say that I bought Bulk and Von Nebula at the same time, but I might be mistaken about that. It naturally didn't make as much of an impression on me as getting my first Bionicle sets.

~B~

Same thing goes for me, I'm not as exicted when getting a Hero Factory set in hand compared to getting a Bionicle set. Hopefully in another five months, I'll relive the exciting feeling of holding a Bionicle set in hand.

Von Nebula was my first set, and I was one of the first people to get it that I know of online :P

I then bought Stormer, Surge, Bulk, Breez, Furno and Stringer all together. Then Meltdown, Corroder and Xplode all together, then I bought the Dropship.

I was so happy when I got it and then when I continued buying more and more Hero Factory only for the reason that I wanted to have a complete collection, and then I realised that was crazy and sold them all :P

It's a good feeling thinking that you might be one of the first people to get a certain set. I know for sure that i was one of the first people to get Jetrax T6 in my country, Australia. I bought the set on Lego Shop at Home an hour or two after it went on the AU Shop at Home page. It came about two and a half weeks before it had hit stores.

Edited by Rooster Nui

I'd like to say that I bought Bulk and Von Nebula at the same time, but I might be mistaken about that. It naturally didn't make as much of an impression on me as getting my first Bionicle sets.

~B~

Same thing goes for me, I'm not as exicted when getting a Hero Factory set in hand compared to getting a Bionicle set. Hopefully in another five months, I'll relive the exciting feeling of holding a Bionicle set in hand. 

Just saying, if BIONICLE does come back, it will more than likely use the HF building style.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!