Project MNOG 3D

specsowl

• 4 weeks later...

It would be nice if the community could port this project to Unreal Engine 4. UE4 has become free. By using Blueprints, more people could work with its mechanics, without the knowledge of coding. Plus, the graphics are a lot better. 

Unreal engine 4 has another great plus: a lot of free assets. All the rocks in there could be used to build the landscape of Mata Nui, on top of terrain.

As an example:

Assets that could be used for PO-KORO

Assets that could be used for TA-KORO

Ko-Koro assets could be taken from here

Now for tutorials:

A quick guide I found:

http://www.tomlooman.com/getting-started-with-unreal-engine-4/

Epic made a lot of tutorials. You could check out their Youtube playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE

I suggest that the best way to start the port is from a template provided by Epic. I have found some tips about making a third person template a first person:

Now...the original team used a kind of skeleton for characters, with some animations. I guess that the skeleton the team made could be imported in UE4, and use the same animations they made for it. Another option is to use the default Epic rig and retarget animations they made to it. 

If you want to create 3D models without spending any money, you could use Blender (3D modelling), Gimp (painting ) or Krita ( painting). Autodesk also offers all their software for free to students, for non-commercial use. 

Anyway...hope these tips/ideas get the project reborn. As mentioned by specsowl, you could download the original project files.

If you make something interesting with them, let us know. Hope more people get engaged in the rebirth of this project.

• Upvote 2

If/when I get my stuff sorted out here in Denmark I'll pick the project up.

But first things first, I'll need to actually get a computer for myself.

No point in developing this project from library and school computers.

• Upvote 2

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

Cool. Nice to see someone willing to continue this project. If you get a new PC, you sould check out UE4 reccomended requirements:

,,What are Unreal Engine 4's system requirements?

For developing with UE4, we recommend a desktop PC with Windows 7 64-bit or a Mac with Mac OS X 10.9.2 or later, 8 GB RAM and a quad-core Intel or AMD processor, and a DX11 compatible video card. UE4 will run on desktops and laptops below these recommendations, but performance may be limited.''

Also, here is a thread with people testing it on their machines:https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?1095-Compatibility-List-Unreal-4-Hardware-Feedback

As for the terrain, I suggest starting out from a heightmap. I have found several Mata Nui heightmap images on internet. Additionally, you could download a terrain generator software, like World Machine, export the heightmap from there and import it in UE4.

Now here are some ideas about possible gameplay. At later development stage, there could be rare ennemies encounters. Around each one, there is an invisible circle. If you enter in the circle, they begin attacking you, and you need to run. If the creatures are in your path, you could lure them away by throwing stones. At some point in the game, you could get weapons, and even go hunting for rare thropies.

Now here are another UE4 resources:

Snow material- the cool thing is that you could specify the ammount of snow on rocks, so you could make smooth transitions from snowy regions to less snowy ones.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?8986-Dynamic-tessellated-snow-material

As for UI creation, UE4 editor has a new tool included called UMG. You could create some nice floating UIs.

I propose a different dialogue system that the one in original games.

So. I'll try to build an ASCII image then explain:

| |

| No yes |

| \ / |

| + |

| / \ |

| Thinking Well... |

| more |

( in edit screen, the ascii image is seen right but on post not)

So...in the middle of the screen you have a crossair. When you move the crossair on a NPC, four dialogue options appear. If you move the view and the crossair is not on NPC, the menu disappears. When you hover the crossair on a NPC, 4 dialogue options appear.

Now you have two options :

1. Left click and drag towards the option you consider and see what NPC says further.

2. Say it in the microphone, and the corresponding option is automaticly selected. Additionally, you could press a keyboard key and see all the pie menus from all NPCs arround.

Edited by mahri726
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

If you use Windows, you can download MNOG3D at my Dropbox for now. Sorry I don't have the other versions -- I don't use the other OSes, haha. Maybe others can come help with that. 

Enjoy the game!

• Upvote 1

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

• 3 months later...

This project is really coming together, great work! I am wondering, is there a completed version of this game, or is the pre-alpha version the only one available? I heard some talk about how the other villages look, and I really want to know if I can download the updated game. Regardless. this game is fantastic!

Well, um, help.  I downloaded the source code .rar file but, when I tried to extract it, it demands I give it a password.  When I enter nothing in as the password all of the files show up blank--the filenames are there, but the files themselves take up no space and they show up as nothing when I open them.

Any help with this would be kind.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Well, um, help.  I downloaded the source code .rar file but, when I tried to extract it, it demands I give it a password.  When I enter nothing in as the password all of the files show up blank--the filenames are there, but the files themselves take up no space and they show up as nothing when I open them.

Any help with this would be kind.

hint: read the first post

• Upvote 1

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

This project is really coming together, great work! I am wondering, is there a completed version of this game, or is the pre-alpha version the only one available? I heard some talk about how the other villages look, and I really want to know if I can download the updated game. Regardless. this game is fantastic!

bionicleman714, please make sure to check the date of the last post in a topic before replying. Your post breaks the following rule:

3) No topic revival. Please do not post in topics that have been inactive for sixty days or more. Note: Topic starters are exempt from this rule and may revive their own topics ONLY to announce an update or a new preview. All other cases will result in topic closure.

The last post in this topic was made three months ago, so your post exceeds the sixty-day limit by 30 days.

Topic closed.