Tahu and Kopaka

Astris Janus

So, something I've been working on for a while now....

So, here :P

A friend of mine commissioned this. Turned out to be much more time consuming than I imagined (man Bohrok are a pain to draw :P ). Background is basic as it gets but oh well

C&C appreciated, thanks ^_^

Astris Janus

• Upvote 3

Right, new forum, new signature. Or, at least, a reboot.

20795.jpg

Dual Sides; An Expanded Multiverse Epic

Bionicle Anime: Toa Mata

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."
- Anonymous

The Bohrok look excellent, but I'm not really sure about the body proportions of the toa.

I was about to post this, they look a bit tall. Their abdomen area looks odd to me, how it consists of three 'levels'. Maybe you could make it two or just one 'level' instead if you know what I mean?

The background is basic as you said, are you going to improve this? I think it would be a good finishing touch.

The bohrok look perfect! 

I turned out to be exactly the grown-up I wanted to be.
A child - but with a credit card.

wsjf4.png

Kanohi upside down = epic beard.

We've all tried it, don't deny it.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like this art deserves more attention, so here we go!

I'm gonna start out by disagreeing with the proportion gripe, at least partly--it depends on what Astris is going for. He's clearly not going for a straight-from-the-set approach, but he does pretty much use the pieces in the sets, he's just modified them somewhat to have a more solid--and yes, elongated--body.  Now, if he's going for more human-like proportions, then yes the torsos would be pretty long.  If not, though, I think it's a perfectly valid choice, if it is in fact a deliberate choice.  The Toa aren't human, after all, and there are a lot of different ways you could interpret them and it wouldn't be wrong.  Basically what I'm seeing is that he extended the ends of the leg and arm pieces so that the Toa actually have upper and lower arms and legs, instead of having a single piece to each limb, so that they have more mobility and they can be posed in a way similar to humans, but that he's not trying to create bodies that are just like humans (I could, of course, be wrong). Similar thing is done with the chest area being expanded outward so that there isn't a teeny little "waist" connection point like in the original torso pieces. And I think that's a fine thing to do.  If you did want to change the proportions to be more human-like, i'd simply shorten that section rather than eliminating it. Personally, the only thing that really bothers me about the torsos is that they're pretty stiff. Dunno that it would work with the current design, but if the torsos were arched more (Kopaka twisting to block the Bohrok, Tahu in his crouching pose) the poses would be more dynamic.

I'm also not sure what's going on with how Tahu is holding his sword...I'm sure he's intended to be holding his sword with both hands, but I can only see his right hand. It might be there where I thought his pelvis is, or perhaps it's supposed to be hidden behind his other hand and the sword, but his arms seem pretty close to his body in any case, doesn't seem like he has enough room to be swinging that sword around like that. It may have to do with the angle and foreshortening, though.

The Bohrok seem kinda tiny compared to the Toa (but really cute for that, oh my goodness. So wee!).  They'd probably be more menacing if they were more proportionate to the Toa, but that's subjective.

Overall I'd say it's a pretty solid drawing! Nice balance between Kopaka's defensive/upward and Tahu's offensive/downward moves, there's plenty of things to keep me looking at it.  The Bohrok look really nice, they are indeed difficult, but you've done them justice. Basic backgrounds are fine (and sometimes necessary, if you're pressed for time or have already spent too long on something and want to move on v_v), but I would love to see you work on them more in the future. Backgrounds are intimidating, but if you make that something to work on, that could add a lot to this and other drawings--even a pretty bare background, if done well, can really add to and complement the main action in a drawing. ^_^  Not that you can't do good work without a background, but I have the feeling that you've got the potential to develop in that area if that's something you're interested in.

aang0tt.png

I think the proportion issue on the Toa is that they have very long and cylindrical torsos.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Welp, enough seems to have been said about the proportions, so I'll lay off that. Firstly, the bohrok are excellent! I love the dynamic feel of the one on the left espectially! The posing of Tahu and Kopaka I don't like as much though. They both seem unbalanced, and that makes the piece as a whole seem a little unbalanced. Maybe contrasting some more staic poses with the movement of the bohrok would have added a bit. Also, Tahu looks like he's about to stick his face in the fire he just made, but that's just me being nit-picky. Overall it's a pretty good piece, your friend definitely got his money's worth!

• 4 weeks later...

The Toa look odd, but I presume that is just the way you drew them, so besides that this drawing is pretty good! The stretched out bodies seem they would fit someone like Takadox. Try drawing him, I am most curious.

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

The Bohrok look good - I especially like the pose of the one in the air. Tahu and Kopaka look good, but their proportions are a little off. Their waists are thick, and their arms are long and skinny. That said, I think you did a great job with the masks, and the poses look good. The attention to detail is amazing: I can tell you spent a lot of time looking at the sets. :)

Great work!

• 4 weeks later...

The Bohrok look fantastic, as do the background and the action. The image looks fluid, as though it could keep moving at any time. Yes, the Toa look a bit thin--but that's not even a big enough complaint to matter. Need I remind you all of Stuart Sayger?

And thank you for drawing them as biomechanical beings, rather than androgynous anime people.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

:smilepohatunu: chimoru2015spinnie.gif

Credit to Click for the awesome Bionicle 2015 spinnie!