Why was there two Glatorians stationed in the Core Processer?

"Two warriors, one of the Fire Tribe and one of the Jungle Tribe, who were stationed in the Core Processor of the Matoran Universe to act as pilots of the Great Spirit Robot; were intended to be safely ejected after the takeoff, but remained and eventually died. " I give credit to Biosector01 for this information. 

My only question is that why did Mata Nui needed a Glatorian from the Fire Tribe and Glatorian from the Jungle Tribe to be pilots of the Great Spirit Robot? Were the Matoran not yet created by the Great Beings? If so why did the two Glatorian decided to come with Mata Nui to Aqua Magna? I kind of wonder why did they abandoned Bara Magna, and fled to the Matoran Universe where they later then eventually died?

This thing about these two Glatorian being pilots of the Great Spirit Robot is to me quite interesting. But I wonder what else about the two of them.

"If one wishes to know the truth, then one must find the truth." -Gandhi

small.jpgtumblr_static_sep_2013_banner.png

http://louisthefox.deviantart.com/

:g:  :a:  :y:   :a:  :c:  :t:  :i:  :v:  :i:  :s:  :t:

I thought they were there to pilot the Mata Nui robot in case anything went wrong. It didn't matter what tribe they came from. The Great Beings just needed pilots who knew what they were doing in case of catastrophe.

But according to your quote they were supposed to eject after the take off. So my guess is they were there to ensure a smooth takeoff. Obviously the ejection system didn't work.

Edited by Xeo
  • Upvote 1

~Xeo~

I thought they were there to pilot the Mata Nui robot in case anything went wrong. It didn't matter what tribe they came from. The Great Beings just needed pilots who knew what they were doing in case of catastrophe.

But according to your quote they were supposed to eject after the take off. So my guess is they were there to ensure a smooth takeoff. Obviously the ejection system didn't work.

Well yeah that does happen to suck that they didn't make, but then again if they did survive they would be the only two known Glatorian to exist in the Matoran Universe. 

• Upvote 1

"If one wishes to know the truth, then one must find the truth." -Gandhi

small.jpgtumblr_static_sep_2013_banner.png

http://louisthefox.deviantart.com/

:g:  :a:  :y:   :a:  :c:  :t:  :i:  :v:  :i:  :s:  :t:

Greg has implied that, rather than the eject system failing to work, something actually killed the two Glatorian before they could use it.

What was that something? No one knows. The Makuta had not yet turned bad, the Barraki weren't around, and no one even knew of the Core Processor except a select few.

Mysteries abound...

• Upvote 3
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Xeo already explained the bulk of it (they didn't mean to go, they were supposed to escape [whether by malfunction or death, they simply didn't manage to], and their Tribe doesn't matter - that's just who was picked), but the one bit left -- what about the Matoran?

Well, they didn't exactly want anybody inside of Mata Nui knowing that he was a giant robot. At the time of launch, every species (including the Matoran) that the Great Beings made would have already been created and inside going about their business. But initiating the launch was none of their business. So two Glatorian, from the outside world who would be able to understand Mata Nui's true nature, were the best picks.

Also, they weren't just going "to Aqua Magna." That was just one of many world Mata Nui observed.

~|ET|~

Edited by Electric Turahk
  • Upvote 1

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

My only question is that why did Mata Nui needed a Glatorian from the Fire Tribe and Glatorian from the Jungle Tribe to be pilots of the Great Spirit Robot? Were the Matoran not yet created by the Great Beings?

Matoran/etc. weren't originally fully sapient, so the Great Beings probably didn't think an artificial being would be good for that job. Also, the Matoran Universe beings. weren't supposed to know they were inside a giant robot. :)

(Many past topics have gone into detail on why; ask if curious. In short, they just needed to do their own jobs as part of the larger system, so they didn't need to know that, and there would also be a risk of a "glitching" worker who knew trying to take it over. And in the one confirmed instance of the secret getting out, thanks to Tren Krom, that did indeed lead to a takeover.)

If so why did the two Glatorian decided to come with Mata Nui to Aqua Magna?

They were presumably hired. (Unfortunately they obviously never got paid. :P) I'd figure they must have had personalities (and career backgrounds) well fitting to vehicle controlling, quite possibly some kind of flying vehicle experience.

I kind of wonder why did they abandoned Bara Magna, and fled to the Matoran Universe where they later then eventually died?

I haven't heard the idea before that they might have fled. That aside for the moment, just standing on Bara Magna isn't going to help the planet, and the impact they could have helping the people there as warriors would by contrast be tiny. Making sure the only hope for healing the planet, and preventing the eventual disaster that would kill everybody on it (or force evacuation, turning them into space refugees), launched successfully would by contrast be a huge way to help!

They were probably also really disillusioned with the warrior thing, since all they were fighting for was the greed of their particular Element Lords (and presuming the Great Beings informed them of the likelihood of the Shattering, that was also to be caused by the ELs). They wouldn't have known yet that the Bara Magna survivors would form a better, transition society. So to a degree, they probably were fleeing that life. But really, they were recruited by the Great Beings (somehow, somewhen). This would just be part of the movitation for why they accepted the job.

(I'm assuming in this answer that we're talking about the decision to take the job, not about why they didn't eject. They apparently did not choose to stay. That would affect the answer, though -- if they assumed they would eject and return to Bara Magna -- as the fragment they would presumably land on would soon be named -- then they wouldn't think of it as abandoning at all, since they'd go right back, maybe hoping the people would learn their lesson and stop listening to the Element Lords. On the other hand, it's possible they themselves chose to stay, figuring they didn't want to deal with the ELs ever again, and to make sure Mata Nui had enough time to learn... but Greg's answers seem to imply this is not the case; see Yalda's post.)

I thought they were there to pilot the Mata Nui robot in case anything went wrong.

That's correct, but it sounds like the topic starter is asking, why Glatorian and not Matoran?

But just in case that's part of the question, might as well add that presuming they had time to practice in a simulation, and/or just had experience piloting (even if only land vehicles, who knows), it makes sense to have somebody like that helping with the first launch, since Mata Nui just came online prior to the launch, so he was sort of like an infant. It would be really risky to leave the launch entirely to him.

Later on he would get his own experience as he landed on more and more alien worlds, and not need help anymore. (But I could see them deciding to stay to make sure... just sounds like that's not the direction Greg intends to go.)

Also, they weren't just going "to Aqua Magna." That was just one of many world Mata Nui observed.

Huh, somehow I missed that part of the firstpost. Actually, we don't know that he ever was supposed to land there, although scanning it would make a ton of sense, so maybe. But we haven't been told if he ever landed on Bota Magna. He might have landed on both moons shortly after the Shattering. And after returning from the alien worlds' studies, he might possibly have landed on Bota first, but the landing on Aqua Magna was a crash landing. Possibly he was about to land there intentionally to get a full updated scan, who knows. But all we know for sure at this point is that he crash landed there.

So, quite possibly the Glatorian were dead long before he ever went there.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

My theory always was: Mata Nui's navigation and piloting systems were not fully functional (i.e. Mata Nui was still "booting up") at the time of Spherus Magna's destruction, so the Great Beings used manual pilots to get the robot into space before it was destroyed in Spherus Magna's explosion. The Great Beings later had the glatorian killed to keep the secrets of the robot safe.

Edited by Matoro Lives
  • Upvote 5

POWER TO THE FANS

LETS TAKE BACK BZP FROM THE HERO FACTORY FANBOYS

STOP THIS POINTLESS CENSORSHIP AND SHEATHE THE BAN HAMMERS

BRING BACK THE FRIENDLY AND INFORMATIVE BZP

SUPPORT TTV AND GET ON THE HYPE TRAIN

My theory always was: Mata Nui's navigation and piloting systems were not fully functional (i.e. Mata Nui was still "booting up") at the time of Spherus Magna's destruction, so the Great Beings used manual pilots to get the robot into space before it was destroyed in Spherus Magna's explosion. The Great Beings later had the glatorian killed to keep the secrets of the robot safe.

I support this theory, except that the pilots would return to Bara Magna...and the giant robot would be no secret to the population of Spherus Magna, seeing that they saw it leave and it was constructed on SM to begin with. (It's possible that Mata Nui might have had a cloaking power that activated on takeoff, but constructing that thing would have been impossible to conceal, and it's sort of implied the GBs didn't even try.)

Also, Mata Nui left SM, meaning that even if the Agori knew every detail of the giant robot, they wouldn't be able to do a thing about it. Their planet was destroyed and any mechanisms they might have for space travel were clearly decimated. What secrets would they have to protect?

Not only that, but nearly every one had lost someone close to them: a friend, possibly a family member or two. None of them would be in the mood to go giant robot hunting - unless they were truly soullessly evil. But even the heartless wouldn't have the technology, and how would they fight a giant robot?

I think Velika could have done it...but that would be really lame, so I hope something else is involved. 

and the giant robot would be no secret to the population of Spherus Magna, seeing that they saw it leave and it was constructed on SM to begin with. (It's possible that Mata Nui might have had a cloaking power that activated on takeoff, but constructing that thing would have been impossible to conceal, and it's sort of implied the GBs didn't even try.)

Keep in mind too that the prototype robot pieces were scattered throughout lands those same inhabitants lived in. So there wouldn't be a need to keep the second secret. I do think Mata Nui has a cloaking power, but probably wouldn't use that until he reached alien worlds (plus we have a canon image of the takeoff, from the MNSaga, and he's certainly visible once he's in space, at least).

Velika might be behind it, but I can't seem to think of a particular motive. :shrugs:

All I've got is that he might have gone to that control room to do whatever he did to cause full sapience, and was seen by them, so prevented their ejection and killed them to eliminate witnesses... but no -- the timing based on other Greg answers makes that seem unlikely, and I doubt he'd want to be interfering right during the launch itself anyways.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Velika might be behind it, but I can't seem to think of a particular motive.  :shrugs:

All I've got is that he might have gone to that control room to do whatever he did to cause full sapience, and was seen by them, so prevented their ejection and killed them to eliminate witnesses... but no -- the timing based on other Greg answers makes that seem unlikely, and I doubt he'd want to be interfering right during the launch itself anyways.

My theory, if we're going to assume it was Velika, is that the Glatorian somehow came across his old GB body, and were killed so they wouldn't report that to the other GBs.  :shrugs:

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I thought the pilots would have access to the minds of the nanotech to coordinate the launch and would notice the heightened mental activity in one of them. :shrugs: The pilots would be killed to prevent them from reporting that back to the GBs, and them putting five and six together. 

My theory, if we're going to assume it was Velika, is that the Glatorian somehow came across his old GB body, and were killed so they wouldn't report that to the other GBs.

Could be. Especially if he hid the body in some place connected to the Core Processor. Or... maybe he actually had to go to the control room in his old body to work controls necessary for transferring his consciousness?? :lookhere:

I thought the pilots would have access to the minds of the nanotech to coordinate the launch and would notice the heightened mental activity in one of them.

During the launch, highly unlikely ( :P), but maybe if they were bored just prior to the launch or something and looked through MU scans out of curiousity, or played an intended role in checking that the designs all seemed sound, yeah. I doubt they would be experts at judging that, though, and how would Velika know they'd noticed? I suppose he could have just been covering his bases, though.

I had thought that the crash-landing of the Great Cataclysm killed the two Glatorian. BS01 says:

A pair of Glatorian pilots monitored the processes from within the robot's processor as well, but they were killed due to the effects of the Great Cataclysm.

So I guess that is inaccurate?

Something similar could have happened. I mean, they probably never piloted a giant robot before. And I expect a takeoff, especially the first one, would be a bumpy ride. Maybe they just forgot to buckle their seatbelts and got themselves killed during launch? :P

Though Greg seems to lend toward them being murdered, so an accident seems unlikely.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

I had thought that the crash-landing of the Great Cataclysm killed the two Glatorian. BS01 says:

A pair of Glatorian pilots monitored the processes from within the robot's processor as well, but they were killed due to the effects of the Great Cataclysm.

So I guess that is inaccurate?

Yes. I had thought that too, but recently looked up the wording of the original reveal of them, and it actually said all along they were dead for much longer than that. What page did you find that at? It needs updated (I believe the main page where it had been has already been updated.)

[Edit: Well, I had thought it was Teridax, not the GC, but point is, it had to be farther back than both, which Greg's recent reveal confirms.]

Edited by bonesiii