Do you read the LEGO Magazine?

Black Six

LEGO Club Magazine Feedback  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh well, all things must come to an end I guess. I'm still subscribed so I will be a bit sad but not too much to be honest, so I just chose the option "I don't care". So long as someone will still be able to scan all the good BIONICLE stuff for our site next year. :P

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I just resubscribed on the off-chance that the comics might come back. I'd be pretty upset if the comics return next year and I would not be able to get a copy. Then again, I could always lie about my age.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I'm honestly a bit disappointed, but in the business sense, this is the right move.

I would be very open to something like a paid-subscription AFOL-oriented Lego magazine, though, should Lego ever offer one. On that note, anyone know of any good fanzines out there?

BrickJournal is good from what I've read, though I've only read a few issues and don't care about much of the content besides the set designer interviews. I hear Blocks Magazine, a new magazine from the UK, is pretty good. HispaBrick, an e–magazine, also has some well-regarded interviews with both set designers and MOCists, though I haven't read much of that magazine myself. It is Spanish but they do have an English version of their site and an English edition of their magazine — furthermore, unlike the other examples given, HispaBrick is a free download.

I'm over 13, subscribed to the magazine, and I would miss it if they cancelled it on me.

I wouldn't have heard of the Iron Man's Lab build instructions if not for my subscription (I love having all my Iron Man suits displayed in it), and, more recently, I liked seeing how they remade the Guardians of the Galaxy teaser poster in the center of the July-August 2014 issue.  If they went through with it I'd probably either get it from my local LEGO store or lie about my age to sign up for a new subscription online.  Like most of the others here, I wouldn't like missing out on the Bionicle comic, if they started that back up, which I hope they do.  My subscription got accidentally cancelled once, and I thought that was because of my age because I'd turned 19 shortly before then, so I thought I should just resign myself to not getting it, but I'm not going to do that again.  A downloadable pdf version of the magazine would be cool, because that would mean I'd be able to keep my previous issues more organized.  I've been looking for scans of magazine pages off and on for a while so I can build a computer backup of all of my issues so it's not a big deal if I lose them.  I'd be very interested in knowing where I can find more of those.

TotBI

• Upvote 1

This whole move seems unusual for LEGO. One, they'll lose money from the teen/adult subscribers, and two, it goes against the "kid at heart" stuff they just encouraged with The LEGO Movie.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I would have preferred it to improve rather than leaving me, but I haven't paid that much attention to it lately. I agree with the others, it used to be good, with plenty of comics and instructions and other content, now, it's just ads for sets. 

aouROFb.png

Hey, LEGO, what are doing?

I wouldn't be upset, I'd be furious.

I've always kept subscribing, and this is going to be detrimental to the fans.

And on the suggestion of an AFOL paid subscription, Brickmaster didn't last very long.

Oh, LEGO, why are you doing this?

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

I have a younger sibling who gets the magazine, but I'd still be unhappy if such a restriction was put in place . My sibling will turn older than thirteen one day, right? 

Like many others, I largely enjoyed the magazines because of the BIONICLE comics, which were still around for several years after my thirteenth birthday. But I think I would mostly be fine with the restriction if I could get the comics and material elsewhere. I don't suppose TLG would consider a separate AFOL magazine? They could call it the LEGO Times Paper. :P

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

I have a younger sibling who gets the magazine, but I'd still be unhappy if such a restriction was put in place . My sibling will turn older than thirteen one day, right? 

Like many others, I largely enjoyed the magazines because of the BIONICLE comics, which were still around for several years after my thirteenth birthday. But I think I would mostly be fine with the restriction if I could get the comics and material elsewhere. I don't suppose TLG would consider a separate AFOL magazine? They could call it the LEGO Times Paper. :P

:P I'd prefer the return of the name Brickmaster. Better yet, why not Bricklord? Or how about Lord of the Bricks?

Yeah, I still read it. They just keep getting worse and worse but it's become personal tradition; I loved them so much as a kid that I just can't give up now, and they're way too much of a connection to my past when I was a kid. Those were good days and I'd like to not forget them. Though the magazines don't provide a whole lot of nostalgia to me as before; they're basically advertisements for sets. And the computer animated pictures just look too flashy and modern. I loved the magazines when I started subscribing in 2007. There was actual content.

Like I said, I still read them as tradition, but the nostalgia and love has been sucked out. There's almost nothing to like about them anymore. I'm not a complainer but just because the magazine is marketed towards kids it doesn't mean they don't have to be quality, not everyone needs to be treated like a baby.

• Upvote 1

No, I don't subscribe to the LEGO Magazine CURRENTLY. However, I am going to be upset that would no longer be able to subscribe to the magazine again. I was planning to sub to the mag again around December 2014, so I could possibly get the first Bionicle Reboot comic. 

How is LEGO going to tell that we are 13 or older, anyway? Couldn't we just simply lie about our age or say "yeah, I have a 'kid.' Here is my parent-like email address."

Although I'm not subscribed to the Lego magazine, I was always happy to have the option to get it, should something interesting come up - and with the possible return of Bionicle, this just sucks. On the bright side, they're saving resources and money by printing fewer magazines, and there are some places that carry the Lego magazine free for anyone.

=)

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

Well, it has never been available for my country, so I have never had the opportunity to read even one issue.

Still, I think they should create two different magazines. One for kids and one for older fans. Maybe they could share some articles and you'd need to pay for a subscription to the second one.

:b: :i: :m_o: :n: :i: :c: :l: :e:

As a long-time subscriber of the Lego Club Magazine since May/June 1996 (back when it was called Lego Mania Magazine), I enjoyed every issue of it, regardless of what themes Lego has at the time, and the magazine allows readers (like me) to find out the newest and latest Lego themes in a unique way that is interesting compared to finding information about upcoming Lego themes online.  Even though the magazine's intended audience is kids 13 years and younger, the most unique thing I find about the magazine is that you can only get it through the mail or pick it up at a Lego Store, and you cannot find it at a supermarket or bookstore that sells magazines.  I have kept every single magazine since the January/February 2000 issue of Lego Mania Magazine (I do not know what happened to my issues from 1996-November/December 1999), and every single Bionicle comic that came with the magazine from 2001-March/April 2010.

It would be a complete disappointment if The Lego Group stops distributing the current Lego Club Magazine in its current format to teens and adults, because they won't have experience as when they were kids (or if their kids were reading the magazine).  On a more realistic perspective, I understand that some magazines ended their run in the print format due to costs, low subscription rates, and the growing number of digital media, and there are also Lego magazines for TFOL and AFOL audiences, but unfortunately they are not officially published by The Lego Group. 

If Lego were to continue giving out/publish magazines for older audiences, then they should either publish their own TFOL/AFOL-oriented magazine in-house or enter a partnership with another magazine publishing company to create a separate official TFOL/AFOL Magazine.  To distinguish it from the Lego Club Junior and Lego Club Magazines, it would include not only the latest Lego themes, but also have articles about the Lego industry, includes interviews with Master Builders, spotlight teen and adult Lego fans, and even have a throwback section looking back at a Lego theme from the past, or a series of Lego sets from the past.  The TFOL/AFOL Lego Magazine should be monthly (unlike the current bi-monthly format used for Lego Club Magazine), and include an annual buyer's guide during the holiday shopping season.  Or they could just make a Lego Magazine app for Apple and Android mobile devices and tablets, which could include a TFOL/AFOL digital magazine and access to previous issues of Lego magazine from the late 80s until now (including the BrickMaster versions).  Hey, I would even pay $9.99 a month just for a one-year subscription to the TFOL/AFOL Magazine! 

Long story short, I believe it is completely wrong for The Lego Group to stop distributing Lego Club Magazine for older subscribers and fans.

~:hau: VM 4.0 :hau:

Vakama Montana's Chronicles: The Official Blog of V.M.Torious 4.0!
BZP Member V.M.Torious 4.0 (formerly Vakama Montana0111), a.k.a. Lego Club/MLN Member Vakama4688.
mnolg_dvd_bzp_banner_2.jpg

I'm still subscribed and even though I don't find most of the content relevant/interesting to me, its a nice overview of whats available and what kind of universe each line has and most importantly it allowed me to get the Bionicle comments. I wouldn't be upset not being able to get them anymore, but I'd be disappointed, particularly if that meant no easy access to physical copies of future comics.

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

I chose over 13 and currently subscribed, I think I just got my last issue, though. I also chose I do not care, mostly because when I was younger, the Club magazine was my only source of Lego news. Now I have a computer and BZPower, so I have an easy time finding out all about the latest Bionicle news.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Once again, I repeat, the paid subscription magazine that was Brickmaster didn't last very long. I doubt LEGO would try that again.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

I no longer receive LEGO magazines, am older than 13, and under current circumstances do not care if I lose the ability to subscribe. I suspect others have similar feelings, though this is obviously a biased suspicion.

However, if LEGO were to release a regular comic alongside the magazine -like they did with BIONICLE comics, but not necessarily with similar content- I would not want to see the magazine restricted to those 13 and under. Where the magazine itself became increasingly lackluster to my eyes, I still value my collection of old BIONICLE comics, and imagine that collectors of LEGO media more serious than I will be disappointed if this change is implemented .

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

Yes i read it, have been reading it since 2007, so about 7 years ive been subscribed to it

Wowwww i just accidentally pressed under 13 but anyway i am older than 13 and i am subscribed to LEGO magazine and have been subscribed since around 2007 and i really enjoy the magazines

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

As an AFOL, I would be rather upset to flat-out not be allowed to subscribe to the magazine if I wanted to. My main reason for not being subscribed? Laziness...

"Those who dream by day are conscious of many things that escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

I am furious that Lego would even Suggest this. I am 13 years of age and I live overseas we do not have lots of conventions, Club Meetings, or lots of Lego Stores to go to. I have had the LEGO Magazine for over five years, and I always ask dad if there were any at the Post Office. If Lego does this they had better make one for older kids!!!

Want to join a Bionicle RP with seasoned RPers, vast amounts of topics to post in, and a Wikia to make it easy to get involved?

Come on over to Gen1RP.  :smilenuju:

Anyone remember a year or two back where Lego gave those Lego Club CD's in each magazine?

I don't remember them having them in each magazine, just in a particular issue. That was kind of cool even though the content was all stuff you could find online.

I worded that wrongly. I meant each magazine in that issue.

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Anyone remember a year or two back where Lego gave those Lego Club CD's in each magazine?

I don't remember them having them in each magazine, just in a particular issue. That was kind of cool even though the content was all stuff you could find online.

I still have said dvd.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

I still have said dvd.

Well it could work either way.

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

I still have said dvd.

Well it could work either way.

I have mine as well, rewatching makes me sort of want to subscribe again.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I just realized that now I'm going to miss out on all the BIONICLE stuff in the next year's magazines and that realization makes me sad. :(

What if LEGO's doing this so all the AFOLs won't complain that the new BIONICLE is too kiddy? :o

-Gata signoff.png

• Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I'm honestly a bit disappointed, but in the business sense, this is the right move.

I would be very open to something like a paid-subscription AFOL-oriented Lego magazine, though, should Lego ever offer one. On that note, anyone know of any good fanzines out there?

BrickJournal is my favorite, and HispaBrick Magazine is also really well done.

There are also plenty of LEGO blogs and vlogs to follow that keep you up to date with LEGO news, marketing, and interviews.

-CF

nexo_shields_9.jpg

I don't subscribed to it and wouldn't particularly care if I couldn't get it anymore. Even when I was subscribed, I only liked it for the Bionicle comics. I only read it to pass the time than for actual entertainment.