BIONICLE MAFIA: All Hail the King

Voltex

ALL HAIL THE KING

[TRANSMISSION FROM CONTROL]

[MESSAGE FROM WHITE FOUR TO AGENT 64]

[NEW MISSION: ASSASSINATE KING OF ILIAS. PARTNER WITH AGENT 19 FOR MISSION. MAINTAIN STEALTH AT ALL COSTS. MAKE CONTACT WITH BA-MATORAN DRAXAS, CAPTAIN OF THE GUARD. PAYMENT WILL BE THE USUAL.]

She deactivated the holographic display of her communicator and re-attached it to her belt, frowning slightly as she stood from her crouching position. Her midnight blue cloak fluttered lightly in the breeze as she gazed across the landscape of Odina, and the Dark Hunter fortress in the distance. It appeared that her current bounty would have to wait – orders from Control were so secret that she had never breathed a word of them to any other employer... mostly because they paid more than all of her other employers combined.

Never had she wondered where they received all of those funds from – not that she would have cared about the methods if she found out. It was all business; nothing more.

With a small sigh, she pulled a small device from her cloak and pressed a button, activating it and dropping it to the ground at her feet with a thud. Electricity crackled around the device before rapidly expanding and swallowing her form whole – and then she was gone.

---

Stepping out of the electrical energy field and narrowing her eyes behind her Kualsi, she made her way briskly out of the chamber, ignoring the surprised stammering of the Onu-Matoran on transport duty. If she knew Control, he would be silenced by the morning. As she approached the mission control center, she pulled out her communicator and rapidly tapped in a message to her partner and sending it.

[MESSAGE FROM AGENT 64 TO AGENT 19]

[MEET ME IN MISSION CONTROL CENTER IMMEDIATELY. NEW MISSION ASSIGNED FROM WHITE COUNCIL.]

“I’m here, tell me what’s going on,” she ordered as she entered the control center.

“Hold up,” a voice said from behind her as a Matoran of Plantlife staggered into the room, gasping for breath. “You can’t just start without me! I’m your partner for the mission.”

“I don’t need you here to complete the mission, Nineteen, or even to know what is going on,” she said.

“Always such a pleasure to work with,” Agent 19 grumbled, turning to a Ta-Matoran leaning on a table in the center of the room. “So what are we working with?”

Agent 64 stalked forwards as the Ta-Matoran spoke: “Your mission is to go to the island of Ilias. It’s a smaller island, probably about half the size of Ta-Metru in both size and population. But they all serve a king – Turaga Rone.”

“What’s the mission?” asked Agent 19, his forest green armor clinking as he shifted.

“To assassinate Turaga Rone,” Agent 64 said curtly, before the attendant could answer. “We’re to establish contact with Draxas, the Captain of the Guard, and work our way into the castle to kill him.”

“And what’s the reason this time?”

“He officially declared the island of Ilias hostile towards the White Council last week,” the Ta-Attendant explained. “Control received the transmission this morning.”

“Why did I only receive it now, then?” Agent 64 asked, leaning over the Ta-Attendant, who cowered slightly.

“I... I think Control was debating whether to give the mission to you,” the Attendant stammered. “The White Council hasn’t requested specific agents before... it’s unprecedented.”

“Obviously Control deemed it fine,” Agent 64 muttered, not bothering to contain her irritation. “It was still a waste of time, though.”

“Did Control deem it fine?” Agent 19 asked. “Or was it something else?”

“Like what?”

The Bo-Matoran’s eyes flicked to the Attendant and around the room before he shook his head and sighed. “Never mind – I’ll fill you in later.”

Rolling her eyes behind her mask, Agent 64 turned back to the Attendant – only to find him having carefully placed himself on the opposite side of the table. Casually she flicked out her knife before slamming her fist on the table, blade sticking in the air and lighting on fire.

“Finish explaining so that I can do my job,” she ordered.

The Ta-Matoran gulped, but flicked a switch on the side of the table, upon which a hologram of a small crescent shaped island rose up. It displayed the image of a large castle dominating the center of the island, with a town and a few small farms spreading outwards from the castle.

“As I said, Turaga Rone declared Ilias hostile to the White Council last week,” the Attendant said. “The two parties have been exchanging the typical passive-aggressive political talk ever since, but it’s becoming clear that Rone is standing firm in his decision. All the White Council told Control was that they were tired of his insolence, but it’s obvious that they need Ilias to remain at least neutral towards them.”

“Otherwise nothing’s stopping other powers from turning on the White Council too,” Agent 19 said.

“That’s probably correct,” the Attendant said, before zooming in towards the castle on the hologram. “Over here, the eastern wing – that’s where you’ll enter the castle. Commander Draxas is supposedly housed in the southeastern section of the castle, so you shouldn’t have too far to go. After that... well, there weren’t really any specific instructions beyond what was in the transmission. The White Council doesn’t seem to have any other results in mind for this mission.”

“What a relief,” Agent 19 said drily. “Such a blessing.”

“Shut up and have more respect for our employers,” Agent 64 snapped, returning her knife back to its place within her cloak and stalking to the door. “Let’s go – weapons bay might have some tools we’re lacking... although I doubt it.”

---

In a burst of light, both agents appeared on the shoreline of Ilias, having been teleported directly from Control. Presumably, their quick entrance would aid with maintaining the secrecy of the mission.

“Don’t you feel like Control is doing it wrong?” Agent 19 asked, breaking the silence immediately.

“Doing what wrong?” Agent 64 asked.

“All of this,” Agent 19 said, waving his arms to indicate the expanse of land in front of them. “We’ve been sent here to assassinate a king and put another party into power, one that supports what is admittedly a group of tyrants. This is work for the Dark Hunters - Control has never stooped so low before. We’re supposed to be a vigilante justice group.”

“Our job is to follow the orders that Control gives us,” Agent 64 said curtly. “If you are unable to follow those orders….”

“I’m perfectly able,” Agent 19 snapped. “But I’m also perfectly able to refuse those orders. I can take them back to Control and lodge a complaint - at worst, it’ll delay the mission a few weeks.”

“That sounds an awful lot like directly disobeying orders,” Agent 64 said quietly. “You risk the wrath of the White Council and Control… and worst of all, you risk bringing me down with you. I cannot allow that.”

Before Agent 19 could react, she was already moving; whipping an electrical rod from her hip, she activated it and clubbed her partner in the neck, shocking Agent 19 and blasting him to the ground on his knees. She pulled out her communicator.

“What are you doing?” Agent 19 asked, attempting to stand.

She kicked him back to the ground, touching the rod to his neck again. “Getting permission.”

[MESSAGE FROM AGENT 64 TO CONTROL]

[REQUEST PERMISSION TO ELIMINATE AGENT 19. BREACH OF SECURITY PROTOCOL AND CONTRACT WITH WHITE COUNCIL.]

The reply came less than a minute later, as Agent 19 woozily began to shake his head.

[TRANSMISSION FROM CONTROL]

[REQUEST GRANTED.]

Wordlessly, she deactivated the electrical rod and attached it back to her hip, pulling out a customized Nynrah Blaster and firing once. The specialized projectile handed control of Agent 19’s body over to her, and her partner quickly stood before walking into the ocean.

He ducked into the water, and did not reappear.

Agent 64 left without glancing back.

---

“I was expecting there to be two of you,” Draxas said as he let her in at the gates. “Where is your partner?”

The Captain’s armor was a midnight blue, the exact same shade as Agent 64’s cloak; it was a stark contrast to her shining white armor. Draxas’s Kanohi Hau gave an appearance of one who would defend the virtues of honor and integrity until death came to take him… although that obviously was not the case.

“His contract expired,” she said. “Where is your King? I want this done now.”

“He is currently situated in the court; many Matoran are present.”

“I need a vantage point to snipe him from afar.”

The Captain of the Guard looked as if he were going to argue before changing his mind and nodding along, pointing up at one of the towers. “That one will give you your vantage point. How long do you need?”

“Five seconds to get up, fifteen to set myself up, five to find the king and end his life,” Agent 64 listed. “After that I’ll vanish and you won’t ever see me again.”

“As you wish,” Draxas said.

The Captain stepped back into the shadows, his eyes glinting in the darkness before he vanished completely. Agent 64 remained where she was for a brief moment longer before pulling out an oddly shaped blaster and firing a small disk up into the tower; a second later she vanished from where she had been standing and reappeared in position. Once she arrived, she pulled out what at first glance was merely a tube of metal - however, with the push of a button pieces began to slide out and click into place, until she was holding a sniper rifle in her arms.

Here goes, she thought.

Zooming in, she swept the crosshairs across the King’s court, smiling grimly when she found Turaga Rone standing five feet away from his throne. Before circumstance could ruin her shot, she fired; the crack echoed into the sky and down below Matoran began to scream as Turaga Rone collapsed, his mask shattering and his head a bloody mess.

Agent 64 clicked the button again, causing the sniper rifle to collapse back into the tube from before as she threw down a metal pad on the floor and spoke into her communicator.

“This is Agent 64. Mission complete, requesting evac.”

She could hear guards racing up the stairs towards her. The teleporter pad began to glow with a white light and she stepped onto it, vanishing in a flash of light and reappearing back at base, where the Attendant was waiting.

“Where’s Agent 19?” the Attendant asked.

“Dead,” she said. “Expired contracts tend to be fatal.”

The Attendant scurried off, leaving her with a moment to send off a message.

[MESSAGE FROM AGENT 64 TO CONTROL]

[MISSION COMPLETE. TURAGA RONE DEAD. AGENT 19 CONSIDERED OFFICIAL CASUALTY.]

She had only just sent the message when she received another transmission:

[TRANSMISSION FROM WHITE COUNCIL]

[MESSAGE FROM WHITE FOUR TO AGENT 64]

[THE WHITE COUNCIL IS PLEASED WITH YOUR EFFORTS THUS FAR. REQUEST A PRIVATE MEETING IN ONU-METRU IN SIX DAYS TIME. WE HAVE A VARIETY OF JOB OFFERS TO MAKE YOU. DO NOT INFORM CONTROL.]

The Ko-Matoran narrowed her eyes, reading the message over twice before allowing it to sink in. Once it had, she smirked and continued on her way, sending one final message:

[MESSAGE FROM AGENT 64 TO WHITE FOUR]

[YOU CAN COUNT ON MY ARRIVAL.]

It was time to move up in the world.

End.

As a whole, I'm not entirely certain that I like this piece; nonetheless, this short story is a part of the Bionicle Mafia epic series that I have been writing, All Hail the King serves as a companion to the upcoming Bionicle Mafia: Book 2 - Extraction, where Agent 64 will be one of the points of view.

"Agent 64" is the representation of fishers64 in-universe, although this is one where I took a little more artistic liberties than usual with the character's lifestyle. Despite any differences, fishers/"Agent 64" has so far been one of my favorite characters in the series to write for; compared to most characters her true morals, thoughts and opinions are often either unsure or conflicting, and that makes it interesting as an author. She plays a very important role in the upcoming epic, though I won't spoil what it is. Three out of six(?) points of view revealed!

As for the other characters in this short story (Agent 19, Draxas, the Attendant, and sort of Turaga Rone), don't worry about seeing them again. You probably won't.

Anyway that's enough out of me. I need to get back to writing that epic.

• Upvote 7

When I was reading this, This came to mind.

2859857-hitman_agent_47.jpg

While some of the things in here requires reading the first one, it makes a great set up for both book 2 and it's characters. too bad I'm dead.

Edited by Pupwa21

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.

O_O

Agent 64... yeah that sounded familiar. :P Still, aside from the requisite slaughtering of people, which I am really less wont to do, you have adequately captured many of the cold machinations of yonder mind. :) I'm glad my character is entertaining you as of yet, and look forward to reading your next epic.  

• Upvote 1

When I was reading this, This came to mind.

-snip-

While some of the things in here requires reading the first one, it makes a great set up for both book 2 and it's characters. too bad I'm dead.

That image is huge.

There are certainly numerous similarities between the Agency and Control, although there's a lot more to Control than you might first expect, since we haven't seen much of it (them?) yet. 

Not bad, not bad. Gon' be on the lookout for Rone in Book 2, this situation smacks of body doubles.

Out of all the characters in this story, Turaga Rone is the least likely to appear again. I mean, he was in it for about a single line before a bullet went through his head. =P

O_O

Agent 64... yeah that sounded familiar. :P Still, aside from the requisite slaughtering of people, which I am really less wont to do, you have adequately captured many of the cold machinations of yonder mind. :) I'm glad my character is entertaining you as of yet, and look forward to reading your next epic.  

I've found that happening with a few characters in this series, where I've created a more accurate representation of the person than I had anticipated. It makes me feel like I've got a super power or something. It's not just that your character is interesting, though: it's doubled by the fact that Agent 64 works for Control, which has also been very interesting for me to work with. =P

O_O

I've found that happening with a few characters in this series, where I've created a more accurate representation of the person than I had anticipated. It makes me feel like I've got a super power or something. It's not just that your character is interesting, though: it's doubled by the fact that Agent 64 works for Control, which has also been very interesting for me to work with. =P

Ah, yes, the untold organization of the many secrets.

I wouldn't say it's 100% - but basically you've taken all the aspects of my mind that I consider to be evil - coldness, impatience, a bit of a short temper - and thrown them on the page, devoid of the other aspects that I consider good.

But if I were in that harsh world of the Mafia, that's definately how I would be.

O_O

Ah, yes, the untold organization of the many secrets.

I wouldn't say it's 100% - but basically you've taken all the aspects of my mind that I consider to be evil - coldness, impatience, a bit of a short temper - and thrown them on the page, devoid of the other aspects that I consider good.

But if I were in that harsh world of the Mafia, that's definately how I would be.

Mafia brings out the worst in all of us.

I must echo Pupwa's last phrase - though considering the nature of Mafia, I doubt it'll last for long.

Well, you never know. We might break tradition.

Can't but praise. I like the way you work with the different POVs, as they all have their own voices (yet in the epic, it all fits together)... that's cool. :)

One of my prerequisites for giving a POV to a character is that they need to either have a unique viewpoint compared to other POVs or their story needs to be mostly removed from the others. Part of the reason that one of the narrators from Book 1 won't be narrating Book 2 is because I felt that their segments felt too similar to those starring Voltex.