BIONICLE Confirmed for 2015

Wait, what? It is not posted on their website... if you go to Lego's Product page, there is no Bionicle... you had to dig for that in the database or whatever "IP guessing" black magic was done.

It's not black magic. The easiest way to find the image is to open up the Minecraft product image and replace both instances of the word "Minecraft" in the URL with the word "BIONICLE".
  • Upvote 2

"You can not talk about the leaks or link them. But hey, going on lego's server and publishing a hidden picture they clearly didn't want people to see it is perfectly fine"

Nice logic.

It's not really hidden, though. No non-disclosure agreements were violated, no hacking into password-locked anything; it was a simple case of recognizing a pattern in image naming and doing a find-and-replace. Like Aanchir said, if you replace the instances of "minecraft" in this link with "bionicle", you get the product image in the original news post. It's not linked to anywhere on the Lego site, no, but it's a public image that anyone can look at if they have the link. If they didn't want people to figure it out, they should have waited to put it up somewhere anyone with pattern-recognition skills and enough boredom to try could find it.

• Upvote 3

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

"You can not talk about the leaks or link them. But hey, going on lego's server and publishing a hidden picture they clearly didn't want people to see is perfectly fine"

Nice logic.

It's perfectly good logic. Pics and info obtained legally are allowed, pics and info obtained illegally are not allowed. I don't see why this is such a hard concept for people to understand.
  • Upvote 12

If they didn't want people to figure it out, they should have waited to put it up somewhere anyone with pattern-recognition skills and enough boredom to try could find it.

The same thing can be applied to the leaks. And yet they are forbidden. "They should have done X" but guess what, they didn't. This doesn't give me the right to publish sometime I don't have the permission.

It's perfectly good logic. Pics and info obtained legally are allowed, pics and info obtained illegally are not allowed. I don't see why this is such a hard concept for people to understand.

It's not about being legal or illegal. Imagine your friends are making a secret party for you, but one of them accidentally talk about it when you are chatting. Would you like it ?

• Upvote 1

"You can not talk about the leaks or link them. But hey, going on lego's server and publishing a hidden picture they clearly didn't want people to see is perfectly fine"

Nice logic.

Wow... I think that's the shortest post from Aanchir I've ever seen :P

• Upvote 2

It's not about being legal or illegal. Imagine your friends are making a secret party for you, but one of them accidentally talk about it when you are chatting. Would you like it ?

Well, actually in this case it is about it being legal or illegal. Even if you'd prefer it not to be. The rules are not written around your personal preferences. Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 8

Yes, because I hate pointless surprises.

That makes more sense for the secret party than the image, but really, I don't see why this is such an issue. There's a difference between finding an image from something like this on a whim through perfectly legitimate methods, and breaking an NDA. If they put the image up, chances are it's not too long before more follows anyway, and all it is is a mask, anyway. Besides providing the appearance of a singular mask, the only info this gives their competitors (which is what it's about more than anything else; I doubt Lego cares anywhere near as much about fans finding out early as they do about their competitors) is that Bionicle is coming back at all.

If LEGO wants the image taken down, then I'm sure they'll speak up, and BZPower will comply, considering this site's good relationship with them. However, as it is now, I've seen no sign from LEGO that they care about this particular image being unearthed.

• Upvote 5

If they didn't want people to figure it out, they should have waited to put it up somewhere anyone with pattern-recognition skills and enough boredom to try could find it.

The same thing can be applied to the leaks. And yet they are forbidden. "They should have done X" but guess what, they didn't. This doesn't give me the right to publish sometime I don't have the permission.

But it's not the same thing, because Lego literally couldn't NOT share them with the leaker, since that person's employer does contract work for Lego. All they could do is have everyone involved sign a nondisclosure agreement, and the leaker broke that contract (which is illegal). In this case no laws were broken whatsoever.

It doesn't matter, because that's a completely different situation. BZPower is not concerned with Lego's "feelings" (insofar as a corporation even has feelings) so much as they are concerned about maintaining a positive working relationship. If Lego has a problem with BZPower sharing this kind of information then they can make that known. They have contact with the staff, after all, and BZPower staff generally does what it can to abide by their recommendations (even if those recommendations are not always respected by other fan sites). But Lego hasn't objected to this sort of thing in the past, and doing so now would represent a significant crackdown on a site which they DO have a good working relationship with. It's a two way street, after all—Lego works with BZPower specifically because BZPower is a valuable partner to have for interacting with the Bionicle fandom, and Lego doesn't want to jeopardize that relationship any more than BZP does. So since this image doesn't tell us anything most of us didn't already suspect and wouldn't represent a threat in the hands of Lego's competitors, I expect Lego to let this lay.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It's not about being legal or illegal.

There are actual literal real-life documents that retailers have to sign agreeing to not disclose such catalog information publicly.

Violating the terms of the agreement is actually literally for-real illegal.

Imagine your friends are making a secret party for you, but one of them accidentally talk about it when you are chatting. Would you like it ?

If they leave a big envelope out on the table that says "SECRET BFA PARTY PLANS" a month before my birthday then it's their own dang fault.

• Upvote 15

OpAXNpl.jpg

Imagine your friends are making a secret party for you, but one of them accidentally talk about it when you are chatting. Would you like it ?

If they leave a big envelope out on the table that says "SECRET BFA PARTY PLANS" a month before my birthday then it's their own dang fault.

Remind me of this in February

• Upvote 2

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

WOOOO!

If it is a reboot, I hope they'll do away with gender-specific Elements, so a female Toa of Fire or Ice would be officially canonically possible.

I have a feeling it is set in the same "universe", but prepared for a new audience. A re-introduction, as opposed to a reboot.

I could see how that is a good developement for the MU people with integration into the rest of Spherus Magna.

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

I won't state my opinion about whether LEGO would throw us a bone or that we're committing illegal activity.

By this point, it doesn't matter. And that image is real. It has way too many professional photoshop touches to the image. Coming at it from a Graphic Design standpoint, the Kanohi is way to similar to the previous designs of the Bionicle company. So I'm believing everything.

And that's all I'm gonna do. Now I'm just gonna try to figure out a way to pass the time till 2015.

*waits* :guilty:

First of all, I would like to say sorry if I sounded a little rude in my statement. It's just that I do not think is right revealing something out of it's time. This still sounds like a leak to me, but everyone is like "It's okay because it's from LEGO itself." For all we know, the older leaks could have been too.

I still think BZP is breaking it's own rule. It's still a leak if you get it before it's officially announced by LEGO.

Edited by Archius

For all we know, the older leaks could have been too.

Except we know for a fact that they are not.

Leaks are not a mysterious thing that happen. They have a definite source and trail of discovery. This latest "leak" is no different. It is known from whom and where it came from.

The picture in this news story was found easily on a readily accessible public part of the site. Meaning someone somewhere within the vast corporate cog of Lego put this up for the express intent of advertising.

It should also not escape anyone's notice that Lego has not contacted us or any other site to remove it.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 11

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Wait, what? It is not posted on their website... if you go to Lego's Product page, there is no Bionicle... you had to dig for that in the database or whatever "IP guessing" black magic was done.

It's not black magic. The easiest way to find the image is to open up the Minecraft product image and replace both instances of the word "Minecraft" in the URL with the word "BIONICLE".

Is it possible to do the same on the animated version? Or perhaps the themes section of the shop?

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

It should also not escape anyone's notice that Lego has not contacted us or any other site to remove it.

Of course they didn't. The thing has already spread everywhere. What would be the point in removing it now ?

Say what you want. What was done in Lego's service is basically hacking.

That isn't even remotely in the general ballpark of true. For both of those statements.

Maybe this needs to be re-iterated. We care about our reputation with Lego. A lot. To the point where it almost hinders our function as a fansite in terms of discussion. But more importantly, Lego also knows this. They know if they ask us to remove a thing, we will. It's not a very complex relationship.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 12

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Of course they didn't. The thing has already spread everywhere. What would be the point in removing it now ?

It's not hacking at all. That's like saying looking ata flyer in a store's window is the same as breaking into the store and stealing from it.

And to add on to what Bryan and others are saying, LEGO was very much aware of this very soon after the image was found, and before it was spread. They did not ask for us to remove it.

• Upvote 18

Maybe in movies you might be able to convince people that typing a URL into your browser's address bar is "hacking". But in real life, not in the slightest. This is not invading the LEGO Group's private servers or anything remotely like that. This is simply viewing an image that they uploaded to a publicly accessible web address. It's as benign as going to a Brickshelf image (http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/grogall/Ninja-Go/70500/a_70500_box_front.jpg) and deleting everything after the last slash to get to the parent folder http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/grogall/Ninja-Go/70500/). Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

dIxUDD1.gif

(wow i really had to gut that gif to get it BZP-sized)

Wow man, I'm really astonished by your super counter argument skills. I don't think I can break this one.

Edited by Archius

dIxUDD1.gif

(wow i really had to gut that gif to get it BZP-sized)

Wow man, I'm really astonished by your super counter argument skills. I don't think I can break this one.

How about these counter-argument skills:

The image is fine. It does not break the rules. If you disagree, you can not look at the image and leave this topic. Or you can start your own site and tell people they can't talk about it there.

Let's discuss the point of this topic, which is that Bionicle is coming back and we have an official image of a new mask.

• Upvote 8

Ooh, yes, Chroniclers. Definitely Chroniclers.

• Upvote 1

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D