OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I hope the sets are a bit more complex and unique from each other than they got near the end.

Seriously? Sets were far more unique from each other in the later years than in the beginning, where most sets of a wave where essentially clones of each other while there was much greater variety within a wave in 2007 and onward.

-Gata signoff.png

technically this is true, but it often felt to me like similar pieces being substituted to fill the same roles, not a huge amount of build variance beyond that.  I guess I just mean more complex.

• Upvote 1

I hope the sets are a bit more complex and unique from each other than they got near the end.

Seriously? Sets were far more unique from each other in the later years than in the beginning, where most sets of a wave where essentially clones of each other while there was much greater variety within a wave in 2007 and onward.

-Gata signoff.png

Truth be told, Bionicle Stars where small and simple sets

I don't really count those for all the special circumstances.

-Gata signoff.png

technically this is true, but it often felt to me like similar pieces being substituted to fill the same roles, not a huge amount of build variance beyond that.  I guess I just mean more complex.

They weren't less complex than sets from the first years either, the difference is that in the early days, there was a greater variety of build techniques between the years and more new molds but in the end they sticked with the Inika/Piraka build for the most part, also recycling the limb and foot pieces from the previous years instead of coming up with new molds, though we saw some variation in 2009, for example the Skrall's and Strakk's torso. Kiina even used a unique torso construction.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

But if this reveal is Bionicle, what is NYCC? You can't just assume every mysterious reveal is going to be Bionicle.

Yes we can. "Can" implies that we are able to assume that every mysterious reveal is going to be Bionicle, so if the announcement on Friday, then that doesn't rule out the possibility of Bionicle being revealed at NYCC. I mean, if Lego's just decided "Well, they found the images. Might as well officially reveal Bionicle ASAP.", then that would mean that Bionicle would be the Friday reveal. And then, if Lego planned to do it at NYCC before Gatanui found the mask of King Vultraz, I seriously doubt that they would completely rearrange their NYCC stuff just because of some leaks.

VBWj75sh.png

But if this reveal is Bionicle, what is NYCC? You can't just assume every mysterious reveal is going to be Bionicle.

Yes we can. "Can" implies that we are able to assume that every mysterious reveal is going to be Bionicle, so if the announcement on Friday, then that doesn't rule out the possibility of Bionicle being revealed at NYCC. I mean, if Lego's just decided "Well, they found the images. Might as well officially reveal Bionicle ASAP.", then that would mean that Bionicle would be the Friday reveal. And then, if Lego planned to do it at NYCC before Gatanui found the mask of King Vultraz, I seriously doubt that they would completely rearrange their NYCC stuff just because of some leaks.

But Lego wouldn't just decide, "Well, they found the images"; people have always found or obtained images before LEGO's planned reveal, and to my knowledge, that has never, ever changed their plans for revealing it. Chances are this reveal is something they planned to reveal, not something they decided to reveal spur-of-the-moment just because someone dug up a picture. With that in mind, it makes no sense to make two reveals for Bionicle, especially when the second has more potential.

They didn't even say this was a reveal of something for 2015, or even for a theme in general. This could just be showing off the sets for the next Hobbit movie or something. Assuming it's going to be Bionicle just because that's what you've been waiting for is naive.

• Upvote 1

Well maybe the recent leaks have made Lego go into action to give us a solid teaser or something, because I mean... the cats out of the bag.

-NotS

The cat always gets out of the bag. Things leak every year. LEGO already has a policy in place for addressing them, which is that they don't.

But this is the return of Bionicle man! It's a larger deal than usual, since lots of clingy people have been asking for it's return since a minute after it was announced to be ending.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Well maybe the recent leaks have made Lego go into action to give us a solid teaser or something, because I mean... the cats out of the bag.

-NotS

The cat always gets out of the bag. Things leak every year. LEGO already has a policy in place for addressing them, which is that they don't.

But this is the return of Bionicle man! It's a larger deal than usual, since lots of clingy people have been asking for it's return since a minute after it was announced to be ending.

-NotS

That doesn't matter in the slightest.
  • Upvote 3

OpAXNpl.jpg

My bet is that the 4-day thing is something else, and NYCC is Bionicle. 

Unless NYCC is something bigger than Bionicle. (What could be bigger than Bionicle?). 

Also I think the 4-day reveal is something bigger than Hobbit Sets. I don't think that Hobbit Sets qualify as a "huge reveal". :P

Yeah, who do you think are you, a TTV podcast member? hehe

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

...Y'know, Blastcage, I'd actually like to see that.  Exo-Force was cool.   :)

Edited by Endless Sea (still alive)

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

I'm just gonna sit here and enjoy the leaks we have. Lego can take their sweet little time, but they have to reveal it eventually, and I'm gonna be pumped when they do. And just because it can be Bionicle doesn't mean it will be. Lego isn't relying on Bionicle alone to make a profit this year; they have other plans and things to prepare for.

OH MY GOD

Okay Gunz, slow, smooth breaths. slow smooth breaths...

Okay I've managed to somewhat calm myself down, but sadly I can't discuss anything here... but I can't believe it's actually going to be a continuation. Huh. *throws hands up into air* I admit defeat, I really thought it would be a reboot but I guess not.

I'm just so happy right now...

EDIT: I get the feeling that even though it's going to be a continuation that some stuff is being changed/retconned.

I've been Pro-sequel from the beginning, but... thinking realistically...."stuff" can be stand-ins. After all, a certain legendary mask that may appear on the top of prelim box art, could actually be King Vultraz's mask or another mask.

Then again, Kratas! :D

I feel stupid being this vague, announce something LEGO!

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

Friday's announcement IS Bionicle.

Check the filename on the teaser image from Lego's Google+ page: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HxDScdVnC7M/VBb_cE8hkVI/AAAAAAAAfHg/GrrJrOoFmF0/s865-no/Bionicle-4-new.jpg20140915-4177-5fuc51.jpg

Thanks to Meiko for the tip!

Interesting, but I'd like to point out that you can modify the URL as much as you want, and it still works. Like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HxDScdVnC7M/VBb_cE8hkVI/AAAAAAAAfHg/GrrJrOoFmF0/s865-no/bananananananailoveeatingbananasheheheicanchangethisurlasmuchasiwantnew.jpg20140915-4177-5fuc51.jpg

Not saying that's what happened, but LEGO could, possibly, be trying to throw us off the trail.

Naw, they wouldn't do that.

Would they?

The reveal at NYCC was in the works long before we discovered "the image". It could be that LEGO is trying to save face a bit, in a way, by making an official announcement sooner than later. (I hope so.)

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

The reveal at NYCC was in the works long before we discovered "the image". It could be that LEGO is trying to save face a bit, in a way, by making an official announcement sooner than later. (I hope so.)

Either that, or the NYCC reveal was always going to be something other than BIONICLE. Even in the event of leaks (which happen, without fail, every single year), it'd be weird for the LEGO Group's marketing team to make a rash decision that directly undermines big event plans that they've had in the works for months. :unsure:

Edited by Aanchir

Hmmm... this is mighty suspish. We'll just have to wait and see. It's not like Lego to change their plans. It seems that this announcement is in fact for Bionicle. I actually makes a bit of sense. It's not like a small theme that they would just release without any real prominent announcement or reveal but one has to ask if Bionicle is big/important enough to inspire a panel at comic con. I imagine Lego is making a fun reveal for Bionicle this friday but they're saving CC for something else. After all, it was said that they would reveal a "new" theme.

I wonder how they'll handle the story this time.  I bet they'll focus on one source of story rather than books and movies and whatnot.  would be cool if it was a 3d animated webseries or tv show.  I always preferred the style of the commercials to the movies' rather loose interpretation. 

Actually, really what they could do is just announce it, give silhouettes or something, and then let us brew ideas for who is who and what is what (like with some old comics that just showed them all blacked out in the last comic of each year). And THEN they'll show us the actual guys during NYCC, receive Q's about them and whatnot, maybe even show some cool commercials or something.

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

I wonder how they'll handle the story this time.  I bet they'll focus on one source of story rather than books and movies and whatnot.  would be cool if it was a 3d animated webseries or tv show.  I always preferred the style of the commercials to the movies' rather loose interpretation.

TV show would be ideal—imagine if we'd had a full TV series back in 2001, and we could actually see the Toa finding their Great Masks instead of having to imagine most of them. They have to have SOME form of visual story media, and since Greg has said there's no plans for comics, a TV show seems like the main viable option.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

TV show would be ideal—imagine if we'd had a full TV series back in 2001, and we could actually see the Toa finding their Great Masks instead of having to imagine most of them. They have to have SOME form of visual story media, and since Greg has said there's no plans for comics, a TV show seems like the main viable option.

I would still like for books to be the primary medium. I know that it's unlikely in this day in age, but it would be nice for that to be the case. 

With books, the reader imagines a scene that is unique to each individual. Various events from the stories that I read may come across as appearing to be radically different for others, which I find to be a wonderful and creative thing. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

Either that, or the NYCC reveal was always going to be something other than BIONICLE. Even in the event of leaks (which happen, without fail, every single year), it'd be weird for the LEGO Group's marketing team to make a rash decision that directly undermines big event plans that they've had in the works for months. :unsure:

Yes, of course, that is a possibility. I was just saying that it would be possible.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Actually, really what they could do is just announce it, give silhouettes or something, and then let us brew ideas for who is who and what is what (like with some old comics that just showed them all blacked out in the last comic of each year). And THEN they'll show us the actual guys during NYCC, receive Q's about them and whatnot, maybe even show some cool commercials or something.

That's what I've been thinking. Tell us that yes, yes Bionicle is coming back, give us a couple more official images to make wild guesses about, and then at NYCC they'd go into greater detail about, y'know, everything else. Like whether it's a reboot or a continuation, maybe a basic sketch of what the initial story will be like, telling us if any of our favorite characters will return.

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

I have the oddest feeling that the Friday announcement is Bionicle, and that has nothing to do with that image's URL.  And my odd feelings have never been wrong, with one exception: those who followed the old Rumor topic know what a nay-sayer I was back then.  And even then, I shifted my stance days before the discovery of King zartluV.  I had wondered when they were going to announce it, since they were not going to announce it at NYCC.  (Ask not how I knew that)

Also, Kopekemaster pointed out on the old topic that Lego.com had 274 Bionicle instructions.  That number has not changed.  Also, as I pointed out, on Lego.com, there is a page on the FaQ where they say they are not planning to bring back Bionicle.  It is still there.  I shan't be surprised if it's there when Bionicle sets are in stores.

Edited by Willess12

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

I would still like for books to be the primary medium. I know that it's unlikely in this day in age, but it would be nice for that to be the case. 

With books, the reader imagines a scene that is unique to each individual. Various events from the stories that I read may come across as appearing to be radically different for others, which I find to be a wonderful and creative thing.

For other kinds of stories, with human characters, that might work. But for a story populated solely by biomechanical beings who don't resemble anything on Earth, for which Lego is the primary medium for depiction, the lack of a visual depiction of many significant characters is egregious. Perhaps with better descriptions that might work, but I fear exhaustive descriptions would take you out of the moment.

As an example, look at Lariska. Or rather, don't, because despite being one of Greg's favored characters she has never been represented visually in-story. And her descriptions in stories don't help—apart from being athletic and limber and having a robotic arm, she was rarely described physically at all (Biosector01 describes her armor as blue-green, but I don't have any idea which story that was mentioned in or if it was a Greg answer).

Sure, people could each interpret her differently. And as such, there was almost no agreement about what she even "might" look like. I always interpreted her as Toa-like, since Toa Nidhiki seemed to trust her to a greater extent than other Dark Hunters, and most of "Birth of a Dark Hunter" seemed to suggest he was a bit of a xenophobe. But somewhat recently someone made a MOC of her that was some sort of Cyclops, and it occurred to me that that depiction didn't contradict a single story description. Pretty much all fans had to go on were hunches and feelings, and the conclusions they reached weren't necessarily even going to come close to one another.

You might consider that wonderful and creative. I consider it bad writing, or at the very least, a poor pairing of story and medium. A story like Bionicle was inherently visual, and part of why I've never recommended the Bionicle books to anyone outside the fandom was BECAUSE the story is much harder to visualize if you're not familiar with the sets it's based on. These days, Lego has the resources to create a story and tell it visually, with several successful TV series and movies. I say they should take full advantage of that with the new Bionicle.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Check the filename on the teaser image from Lego's Google+ page: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HxDScdVnC7M/VBb_cE8hkVI/AAAAAAAAfHg/GrrJrOoFmF0/s865-no/Bionicle-4-new.jpg20140915-4177-5fuc51.jpg

Someone's getting fired from TLG...

• Upvote 1

Follow the light...

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

*snip*

Well having books doesn't stop having visual interpretations of characters. In the books there can be little pictures (after all they'd probably be closer to children's books) showing characters, objects, and even some settings.

Looking back now I'm kind of happy it's probably going to be a continuation, though a reboot would be cool to. Redoing all the canon seems a little more wasteful to me now. The old Bionicle made such an influence on my life and I guess personally there's not such a huge need to let it go (except for new fans). I'm just real interested where Lego is going with this and how they'll make it happen. But hey, they've done miracles before. At this point I feel like there's enough evidence to suggest a continuation by practical sense, though it's true until an official announcement/release is made there's no way to know for sure.

• Upvote 1

Interesting, but I'd like to point out that you can modify the URL as much as you want, and it still works. Like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HxDScdVnC7M/VBb_cE8hkVI/AAAAAAAAfHg/GrrJrOoFmF0/s865-no/bananananananailoveeatingbananasheheheicanchangethisurlasmuchasiwantnew.jpg20140915-4177-5fuc51.jpg

Not saying that's what happened, but LEGO could, possibly, be trying to throw us off the trail.

Naw, they wouldn't do that.

Would they?

No, if you check the url yourself it has BIONICLE in it. Go here https://plus.google.com/+LEGO/posts/CQvGfMEGjJ2?pid=6059311206502601042&oid=118199612297395338408 and click view image and you can see Bionicle-4-new.jpg in the title. ;)

Follow the light...

Anyone looking for a web design or social media relations position with the Lego Group? If you're qualified, now is your chance! http://www.lego.com/en-us/jobs/searchpage

Also, Kopekemaster pointed out on the old topic that Lego.com had 274 Bionicle instructions.  That number has not changed.  Also, as I pointed out, on Lego.com, there is a page on the FaQ where they say they are not planning to bring back Bionicle.  It is still there.  I shan't be surprised if it's there when Bionicle sets are in stores.

*person calls Lego customer service*

Person: "Are there any plans to bring Bionicle back?"

Customer Service: "There are no plans to bring Bionicle back for the forseeable future."

Person: "But I have a Bionicle set right here that was produced in 2015."

Customer Service: "There are no plans to bring Bionicle back for the forseeable future."

Person: "You can't be serious. Bionicle is back! Bionicle is HERE! You're worse than the skeptics on BZPower!"

Customer Service: "There are no plans to bring Bionicle back for the forseeable future." *click* *dial tone*

• Upvote 7

it would be nice, but it's just not anywhere near as accessible as a book series.  for one thing, that won't appeal to a lot of their younger fanbase, and for another it's much harder to get people outside the demographic interested if the main way of seeing the story is a novel based on a toy series.  people are much more willing to check out shows regardless of what they're based on.

some might not like this comparison, but do you think my little pony would have taken off if it was all told in books?  shows are easily GIFable and the internet keeps up on them and makes them go viral in a way different from almost any other medium.

if this is coming back, i'd like it to be in a way that ensures it can be sustained this time.

Edited by Calvarok
  • Upvote 1

I'm more interested in finding out what prompted Lego to revive BIONICLE. Was Hero Factory not selling? Did they think there was sufficient fan interest?

I'd love to see an interview with an exec in the near future.

Yeah Lego never really discloses that kind of information for some reason and I really wish they did. Maybe someone can ask Greg one day, too bad he can't be on this site.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg