OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

It's not fitting in I'm worried about. It's my parents. I know they don't like Bionicle and only bought me the sets because it made me happy. They don't understand that this is more than just a simple toy line for me. It's special, but I know that they want me to start thinking of my future. When am I going to move out? Will I ever find a girlfriend? How is this setting a good example for my younger siblings?

I just.... I don't want my parents to say "Oh look, there goes our 22 year old son who wastes his money on toys..."

Or "Oh, your son just built a new engine? My son just dropped fifteen bucks on a Toa Gali set!"

I want to make them proud. They do so much for me, you know?

Edited by Blueblur21
  • Upvote 4

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

[Redacted] 

Edited by Iblis616

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

It's not fitting in I'm worried about. It's my parents. I know they don't like Bionicle and only bought me the sets because it made me happy. They don't understand that this is more than just a simple toy line for me. It's special, but I know that they want me to start thinking of my future. When am I going to move out? Will I ever find a girlfriend? How is this setting a good example for my younger siblings?

I suggest you try your hardest to accomplish those things and still buy what Bionicle you can at the same time. That way they can't say that Bionicle is holding you back in any way.

I haven't figure out quoting, but I'll respond to this. 

Or "Oh, your son just built a new engine? My son just dropped fifteen bucks on a Toa Gali set!"

When I first read that, I thought for a moment you built the new engine.

And then it occurred to me:

I thought that because I was thinking of you as an adult Lego fan. Well, adult Bionicle fan, at least.  And Lego fans build things.  So, in a way you are not that different from the other kid, in terms of creativity. 

Also, this might sound generic, but it's still true: it doesn't sound like doing the things other 22-year-olds do would make you as happy as Bionicle does.  And you can rarely go wrong doing what makes you happy.

BTW: I'm 18 and in college, I still don't have a driver's license, I do all my schoolwork on my own, and I plan on buying all the new Bionicle sets, and the most thought I've given to the future is 'I want to be an author someday.'

So, my advice; go with what satisfies you, and don't worry about being 'childish'.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Thanks, guys. I guess I just needed a second opinion. I'm getting older and I don't want to be the child known for blowing his SSI on Bionicle sets.

But it makes me happy. My family can tease me all they want. When I get my counseling office the Toa Okoto are going to be in a glass case by my desk.

My tombstone will have the title 'Toa' written on it. Thanks for the support. You guys are awesome. #BZPowerFTW

• Upvote 5

Lara Croft

I've been trying to keep updated on story news, but I can't find much other than the NYCC video. Can someone send me a link.

I just.... I don't want my parents to say "Oh look, there goes our 22 year old son who wastes his money on toys..."

Or "Oh, your son just built a new engine? My son just dropped fifteen bucks on a Toa Gali set!"

Hey man, I'm 19 and I work construction and I'm having a son! My parents are proud of me, but I still look at bionicle stuff in my downtime. Nothing wrong with it man. Just follow what matters to you. Theres not much time in this world so appreciate the little joy that bionicle brings.

• Upvote 2

kalija.png

all this is temporary.

Follow me on Twitter! @sean52711

I'll follow back.

As of yet, all story details come from the legend animation, bios on lego.com/bionicle, and comments from the team.

As such, you havn't really missed much, other than that the protectors are the leaders of their villages, and the toa's masks are elemental.

Regarding the elemental masks, we know for sure there's no shielding/levitation, etc.?

kalija.png

all this is temporary.

Follow me on Twitter! @sean52711

I'll follow back.

Some of the powers do seem like they would be possible with the abilities the Toa are stated to now have, the only ones really lost are Kopaka's X-ray vision and Gali's water-breathing, which she could probably find a workaround for if needed. Pohatu can use his boomerangs as rocket-boots or something(sandstorm-surfers?), granting him the usual speed for getting around the island. Onua is now really buff, so there's his strength. Kopaka can make ice shields as evidenced by some of the pictures. Lewa can more or less fly now, so glide powers seem less usefull. And Tahu, well, not much for Tahu, but he has lots of swords now so it seems to be a fair trade.

• Upvote 3

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

As of yet, all story details come from the legend animation, bios on lego.com/bionicle, and comments from the team.

As such, you havn't really missed much, other than that the protectors are the leaders of their villages, and the toa's masks are elemental.

Regarding the elemental masks, we know for sure there's no shielding/levitation, etc.?

Not entirely, but if they do have powers like that, they're secondary abilities and they might not belong to the specific Toa who had those powers previously. As an example, one of Kopaka's ice elemental powers (which might be unlocked with his Golden Mask of Ice) is his "Frost Sphere" ability, which is basically equivalent to the power of the Mask of Shielding judging from this picture.
  • Upvote 1

I always liked the idea that the toa's elemental powers were embedded in their very bodies, making them closer and parts of their elements. Now having them be a part of their masks or enhanced by their masks make them feel less special. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if a toa's elemental powers are now given completely by their masks, a toa could theoretically be any element, making them feel less special.

I always liked the idea that the toa's elemental powers were embedded in their very bodies, making them closer and parts of their elements. Now having them be a part of their masks or enhanced by their masks make them feel less special. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if a toa's elemental powers are now given completely by their masks, a toa could theoretically be any element, making them feel less special.

I think the Toa are still linked to their elements and the masks just allow them to channel their powers and unlock new ones. Kinda like how in Gen 1 comic #1, "Tale of the Toa", Kopaka says his sword is the focus of his ice powers. Of course, we won't know for sure until we get more info...

• Upvote 3

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Several Hero Factory sets (from this wave) have been labled Retiring soon on LEGO.com (and all of the Brain Attack sets are sold out). Could they be making way for a December released of BIONICLE?

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

Several Hero Factory sets (from this wave) have been labled Retiring soon on LEGO.com (and all of the Brain Attack sets are sold out). Could they be making way for a December released of BIONICLE?

No, they're making way for a January release of Bionicle. There might be some retailers which break the street date of January 1st but I can guarantee you that Lego.com won't be doing so.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I think that the Toa will still have elemental powers like they used to, but the golden masks will enable new, more powerful and more difficult abilities/moves. For example- before golden mask, Kopaka can make an ice sphere around him as a shield. After golden mask, he can create tiny super-cold ice particles in the air around him that make it so cold projectiles stop moving when they come too close. It's not hard at all to think of more advanced abilities. Maybe Tahu will be able to control lava with his gold mask, Gali can make water "sharp" or Lewa can create a permanent vacuum around many foes by holding the air away from them- all while fighting them with their weapons.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Or "Oh, your son just built a new engine? My son just dropped fifteen bucks on a Toa Gali set!"

Just tell them what you have in mind for the future, I dunno. I'm 23 and my folks are fine with me buying bonkles, partly cause I'm planning to write and hopefully publish a book in 2016.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Just tell them what you have in mind for the future, I dunno. I'm 23 and my folks are fine with me buying bonkles, partly cause I'm planning to write and hopefully publish a book in 2016.

Please, tell me more about this book...

I'm taking classes at my local community college for Human Services. I want to become a Therapist. Thanks for the help.  

That's a very wonderful thing that you wish to help people like that. I always have a special sort of respect for those who wish to help others. :)

I'll need money to afford Bionicle 2015...if I manage to figure out a way to do storm chasing part-time next summer, maybe I'll get a decent salary and be able to afford all the expensive stuff I want.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, bro. And Storm Chasing sounds like fun.

I really hope they don't pull a Hero Factory and rerelease the same characters with minor upgrades. That would get very old very quickly.

Most Hero Factory upgrades were not all that minor — the changes were generally bigger than the change between the Toa Mata and the Toa Nuva in 2002. And frankly, I'd rather get new versions of the same characters than have the main characters shoved into the background every two years by new heroes. Maintaining a fairly consistent cast of characters is one of the things I feel like both Ninjago and Hero Factory have done right. If anything, Hero Factory introduced more new characters than it should have, since they weren't able to keep nine different heroes in the spotlight in the long term and had to drop two of them.

Thanks, bro. And Storm Chasing sounds like fun.

I really hope they don't pull a Hero Factory and rerelease the same characters with minor upgrades. That would get very old very quickly.

Most Hero Factory upgrades were not all that minor — the changes were generally bigger than the change between the Toa Mata and the Toa Nuva in 2002. And frankly, I'd rather get new versions of the same characters than have the main characters shoved into the background every two years by new heroes. Maintaining a fairly consistent cast of characters is one of the things I feel like both Ninjago and Hero Factory have done right. If anything, Hero Factory introduced more new characters than it should have, since they weren't able to keep nine different heroes in the spotlight in the long term and had to drop two of them.

I agree with this, but I still feel like the same characters over and over again can get kinda boring. If this new Bionicle is only three years long, then it should be fine, but if they decide to keep it going after that I feel refreshing the line would do it good.

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm pretty lucky my parents have always been supportive of my Bionicle obsession. Heck, my mom would rather I spend my money on Bionicle than video games oddly enough. I'm 22 and soon to be a police officer. Do what you want to do and be who you want to be is my advice. 

On topic, I really hope the Toa's elemental powers are just boosted by the masks and are not purely based on them, otherwise there isn't anything special about them.

• Upvote 4

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Eh, I hope they try and "rotate" a few characters - not all of them but just a few; gives room for them to be left alone a bit (set wise) but still relevant, have them tie in with new 'minor' characters....

Actually, just a thought, but would it work if LEGO released a set in wave 2 of a year which had instructions for it to combine with something from wave 1? Not as a regular fixture or anything, but just if they could do something like that they might? - the one from Wave 1 would still (hopefully!) have instructions to combine with something else that was out at the time it was released or at least a good alternate form (not just swapping a few pieces around) I don't think this has been done before but I could be wrong. Thought it might work well if they end up doing packs of collectables thrown in with a previous wave set + present wave set combiner pack etc...

otherwise there isn't anything special about them.

OOC; where have they ruled out Masks having any other powers entirely?

& kind of off topic ('figured this would be the least disruptive place for it) Can anyone tell if Onuas' "chest piece" is the same as Lord of Skull Spiders'  "head piece"? - I don't know if this is really obvious as on my phone I can't tell if Onuas' chest piece is that plus other things or it's own thing or what... :(

my mom would rather I spend my money on Bionicle than video games oddly enough. 

Possibly something along the lines of at least building is constructive/makes you think etc? (Not that I'm saying that playing video games doesn't make people think as well etc, just wondering whether that's possibly roughly what she is thinking?)

I'm 22 and soon to be a police officer.

Good on you! (&/or Great work! (&/or Good luck!) :)

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Actually, just a thought, but would it work if LEGO released a set in wave 2 of a year which had instructions for it to combine with something from wave 1? Not as a regular fixture or anything, but just if they could do something like that they might? - the one from Wave 1 would still (hopefully!) have instructions to combine with something else that was out at the time it was released or at least a good alternate form (not just swapping a few pieces around) I don't think this has been done before but I could be wrong. Thought it might work well if they end up doing packs of collectables thrown in with a previous wave set + present wave set combiner pack etc...

This would probably be a bad idea, as you'd get kids wanting to build the model and then being disappointed that one of the sets they need is not available any more.

& kind of off topic ('figured this would be the least disruptive place for it) Can anyone tell if Onuas' "chest piece" is the same as Lord of Skull Spiders'  "head piece"? - I don't know if this is really obvious as on my phone I can't tell if Onuas' chest piece is that plus other things or it's own thing or what... :(

Nope, but you're on the right track. Lord of Skull Spiders' face plate is the same piece as all the other Toa's chest plates. Onua's is more than twice as wide.

• Upvote 2

I'm more partial to the main cast switching out after a couple years to introduce a new saga, kinda like in G1 but less frequently. Kinda like the Pokemon Adventures manga, where the main characters are the manga counterparts of the game protagonists for the current saga (ie. Red, Blue, Green and Yellow in the first generation chapters), then moving to a new main cast for the next saga with someone from the old cast appearing sometimes, maybe taking the reins for a chapter somewhere.

like Red and the rest of the first gen cast returning in the Emerald chapter

The difference here is the saga would still be following the main overreaching arc like in G1 and the reappearances of old cast would be either a guest appearance in a book where their role is lesser to that of the current main cast (like the Toa Nuva at the beginning of Ignition) or them having a day back in the limelight (like the Toa Nuva at the ending of Ignition). Of course this has to be done in a way that prevents continuity lockout like G1, like only delving a little into who the old character. Alternatively, there could be a kind of history section in the Bionicle website where they have an archive of old animations and summaries of old books but the idea is to not rely on kids going through the backlog (even if it is something as short as a paragraph per book and roughly 10 minutes of animation per year). Of course that's just my opinion, I get the benefits of keeping the same main characters but that runs the risk of flanderization or running out of ideas for it to the point where it's just there.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

I'm more partial to the main cast switching out after a couple years to introduce a new saga, kinda like in G1 but less frequently. Kinda like the Pokemon Adventures manga, where the main characters are the manga counterparts of the game protagonists for the current saga (ie. Red, Blue, Green and Yellow in the first generation chapters), then moving to a new main cast for the next saga with someone from the old cast appearing sometimes, maybe taking the reins for a chapter somewhere.

like Red and the rest of the first gen cast returning in the Emerald chapter

The difference here is the saga would still be following the main overreaching arc like in G1 and the reappearances of old cast would be either a guest appearance in a book where their role is lesser to that of the current main cast (like the Toa Nuva at the beginning of Ignition) or them having a day back in the limelight (like the Toa Nuva at the ending of Ignition). Of course this has to be done in a way that prevents continuity lockout like G1, like only delving a little into who the old character. Alternatively, there could be a kind of history section in the Bionicle website where they have an archive of old animations and summaries of old books but the idea is to not rely on kids going through the backlog (even if it is something as short as a paragraph per book and roughly 10 minutes of animation per year). Of course that's just my opinion, I get the benefits of keeping the same main characters but that runs the risk of flanderization or running out of ideas for it to the point where it's just there.

The biggest difference between this and the Pokémon Adventures manga is that BIONICLE is merchandise-driven, and so if you feature past characters back in "guest appearances" later on you run the risk of upsetting kids who get to know these awesome older characters and then find out they can't actually own them without paying aftermarket prices to some online seller.

I do have to say that having older characters reappear as special guests would probably would work better with visual media like webisodes or comics than, say, the Toa Nuva cameos in 2006, because when the Toa Nuva showed up in the 2006 books, new fans reading their names for the first time wouldn't have any kind of image to attach to them. In visual media it could be much easier to bring in old characters without people feeling like they're expected to already know the characters. In that respect it wouldn't be much different than a media appearance from any secondary character who doesn't exist as a toy, like Zib or Makuro in Hero Factory or Dr. Julien in LEGO Ninjago.

I kind of like the whole 'Cast Switch' mechanic.

Hahli became one of my favorite characters throughout 2006-2007 because she was one of the first sets I got. Sure, she wasn't one of the original heroes, but she was a hero nonetheless. The Inika/Mahri are one of my most favorite teams from the first generation. They were new and cool looking, and I didn't have to do a lot of research to find out who they were before like I had to do with the Mata/Nuva.

I think a cast switch would be refreshing and allow LEGO to bring new and interesting characters to Bionicle, even some we've never hear of before.

Lara Croft

I think that after 3 years, I would want a new Toa team. If Okotoan/Okotonan/Protector/whatever to Toa transformations exist, then the new Toa team could be characters we've met before, like with the Metru & Inika.

• Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I think that after 3 years, I would want a new Toa team. If Okotoan/Okotonan/Protector/whatever to Toa transformations exist, then the new Toa team could be characters we've met before, like with the Metru & Inika.

The first three years of Bionicle revolved around one Toa team, and they had the most sales of all.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

The first three years of Bionicle revolved around one Toa team, and they had the most sales of all.

While I understand some would want to have the originals throughout the whole thing, and while I wouldn't mind it that much, I think that on its 4th year, Bionicle should switch focus to a new group of characters and continue with them for 3 years. I think 3 years is enough time to give the characters a lot of development and story. And besides, there's only so many transformations you can give a Toa team before it getting unrealistic. (Unless they find a way to do something interesting like the IFB HF sets, though I'm not sure how many people want to see Toa in mechs. :P )

• Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.