OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I'm really enjoying the background music in the clips.

I agree! It would be cool if that were made available for listening on its own.

Why is she being voiced by a male if she's female? It doesn't make sense.

Because one narrator is doing all the voices? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that. I'm sure plenty of kids will be able to figure that out on their own.

I agree with Lyi. Bringing in a separate voice actor wouldn't be out of the question, but it's stupid that people can't comprehend the idea of a male narrator voicing female characters in the work he narrates. I'm guessing nobody else has ever listened to an audiobook with male and female characters, let alone had a single person read a story with male and female charactersout loud to them.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 7

I am completely accepting of the single narrator doing all of the voices - it was what was expected and it IS absolutely a normal thing to do. Nobody should be surprised by it and demanding a separate voice actor for a single character isn't at all feasible.

That said, I do definitely wish in general that the differences in characters were more pronounced. Some I quite like, such as Pohatu's, but others were too similar. It's still early, though. As we see/hear more or the actor settles into the roles better as time goes on (do we know who he is yet?), it'll probably be easier to distinguish them.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Call me stupid again, Anachir. I dare you.

I know well that it's just a narration. I'm saying that they could have at least left her voiceless and described who she was and what she was doing instead of what they did. Now, it could potentially confuse some younger viewers whose parents don't want to take the time to explain to their child that yes, Gali is female and that no, she isn't a male. She's just being narrated by one. How often do you think they would do that?  

• Upvote 6

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

If these are the only 2015 episode we're getting I'll be disappointed...

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Gali sounds less then female. Lego should have just had a female actor do Galis part. I mean, I know legos been genderist before, but is it that hard to have the Toa of water sound female?

I assume you mean "sexist" (I don't believe "genderist" is a word, and Wiktionary backs me up on that). And there's nothing at all sexist about having the narrator voice all of the characters. It may throw people for a bit of a loop in animation but it's pretty much the most traditional way of narrating a story.

Honestly it doesn't even bother me. Maybe it doesn't sound like how I'd picture Gali's voice, and that's okay—I can suspend disbelief with the knowledge that the same narrator is doing every voice, just like my mom or little brother have to suspend disbelief when I'm reading a story to them and have to voice a female character. And I like it miles better than the old Bionicle story serials, which had Greg's unaffected voice for the narration and every single male character replaced rather jarringly with his wife's unaffected voice whenever one of the rare female characters had a line. I found that MORE sexist, if anything—the idea that a single flat voice could sub in for every character EXCEPT the female characters.

Yes that's what I ment, but I didn't want to use the s-word on the site.

Your male?

I know ###### well that it's just a narration. I'm saying that they could have at least left her voiceless and described who she was and what she was doing instead of what they did. Now, it could potentially confuse some younger viewers whose parents don't want to take the time to explain to their child that yes, Gali is female and that no, she isn't a male. She's just being narrated by one. How often do you think they would do that?  

He didn't call you stupid...

Since there's a baby Protector/Villager in the video, does that basically confirm sexual reproduction? 

The Agori and Glatorian did, so I don't see why not.

Edited by Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

I know ###### well that it's just a narration. I'm saying that they could have at least left her voiceless and described who she was and what she was doing instead of what they did. Now, it could potentially confuse some younger viewers whose parents don't want to take the time to explain to their child that yes, Gali is female and that no, she isn't a male. She's just being narrated by one. How often do you think they would do that?  

Muting just one character would have absolutely been worse than giving her no voice at all.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 6

E-T... Phone home.

He didn't call you stupid...

Since there's a baby Protector/Villager in the video, does that basically confirm sexual reproduction? 

The Agori and Glatorian did, so I don't see why not.

They did? I guess that bit of info must've slipped my mind.

Political content removed. -B6

Because one narrator is doing all the voices? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that. I'm sure plenty of kids will be able to figure that out on their own.

I agree with Lyi. Bringing in a separate voice actor wouldn't be out of the question, but it's stupid that people can't comprehend the idea of a male narrator voicing female characters in the work he narrates. I'm guessing nobody else has ever listened to an audiobook with male and female characters, let alone had a single person read a story with male and female charactersout loud to them.

Gali's video isn't an audiobook, nor is it part of a narrative. It's a random standalone video where a man says "I am Gali."

• Upvote 2

Gali's video isn't an audiobook, nor is it part of a narrative. It's a random standalone video where a man says "I am Gali."

I laughed so hard at this.

Never called you stupid in my post. Never called ANYBODY stupid in my post, which was not even directed at you. I said the way some people were REACTING was stupid, not that the people who reacted in that way were stupid.

Your misplaced taunt definitely seems a little embarrasing, though. :confused:

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

Guess what guys? Looks like there were FOUR Vahis. Someone on Eurobricks discovered this:

http://i.imgur.com/qr2214U.png

I bet that every episode has a Vahi, because 4 Vahis is just insane for an easter egg.

• Upvote 6

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I think a fair number are not noticing that Tahu's individual video picks up directly where Episode 3: Quest for the Golden Masks left off, indicating that all of them are actually a part of the larger narrative?

Nevermind that it doesn't change the fact that a single voice actor is narrating everything. That's just how it is, and paying a new voice actor for a single thirty second clip wouldn't make sense. (Especially when, again, she'll be voice by the same guy again in future videos.) In the larger context, it's not standalone.

~|ET|~

Edited by Ektris
  • Upvote 3

E-T... Phone home.

Muting just one character would have absolutely been worse than giving her no voice at all.

~|ET|~

Darn straight. Bionicle is already perceived as sexist by a lot of people, thanks to its long-standing five-to-one gender ratio. What better way to prove it than by making the rare female characters literally silent?

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

You implied it, Aanchir. And since I was the only one who was addressing the topic and voicing my displeasure, who the ###### do you think you were talking about?

1. You weren't by any means the only one voicing your displeasure at the voice acting.

2. That last paragraph was not directed at you in particular, hence why I separated it from the one where I DID respond to your post specifically. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

2. I wasn't referring just to people voicing their opinions in this topic, but to the fan reactions I have seen in general.

There's no need to get so agitated about this.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

~|ET|~

Darn straight. Bionicle is already perceived as sexist by a lot of people, thanks to its long-standing five-to-one gender ratio. What better way to prove it than by making the rare female characters literally silent?

I wish they could have gotten just one more voice actor for Gali. I know the narrator tried, and I don't blame him, but it still is very awkward.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Guess what guys? Looks like there were FOUR Vahis. Someone on Eurobricks discovered this:

http://i.imgur.com/qr2214U.png

I bet that every episode has a Vahi, because 4 Vahis is just insane for an easter egg.

Now that is interesting. Starting to think that these aren't mere Easter eggs. Either a for-fun "Spot the Vahi" game by the animators or intentional foreshadowing indicative of something more...

~|ET|~

• Upvote 3

E-T... Phone home.

Wow... 

Check out all the Vahi's here: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Gallery:Kanohi#Vahi

It's a fun scavenger hunt too. :P

• Upvote 2

Alright, let's let that particular conversation drop, shall we?

On a lighter note, if anyone's interested, I've taken the liberty of grabbing the videos directly from the LEGO site.  They're fairly high bitrate and 720p, so if anyone's interested in good-quality screencaps from them (for example, here's Ekimu's funeral), I'd be happy to make them.  There'll still be some artifacting (especially in high-motion scenes), but that's unavoidable.

Edited by GSR
  • Upvote 1

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Alright, let's let that particular conversation drop, shall we?

On a lighter note, if anyone's interested, I've taken the liberty of grabbing the videos directly from the LEGO site.  They're fairly high bitrate and 720p, so if anyone's interested in good-quality screencaps from them (for example, here's Ekimu's funeral), I'd be happy to make them.  There'll still be some artifacting (especially in high-motion scenes), but that's unavoidable.

Would you be able to make a screencap of each of the Toa?

~|ET|~

I wish they could have gotten just one more voice actor for Gali. I know the narrator tried, and I don't blame him, but it still is very awkward.

I kind of disagree. Full voice acting, with a separate voice for each character, might have been better. But the idea of having a separate voice actor just for the female characters reminds me of the old Bionicle audio serials, which I thought were terrible. Greg's flat, unaffected voice for all the male characters was bad enough, but the fact that his wife had to sub in for the female characters (as opposed to, you know, doing all the voices himself, like what's USUALLY done when reading a story aloud) completely took me out of the story.

I also saw a comment from someone else at one point that proposed a possible reason for the single narrator, as well. Suppose the entirety of the story is being retold by a character FROM the story, such as one of the Protectors. In that case, it'd only be logical that their voice would be used for every character, since they're dictating the same story in-universe.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Suppose the entirety of the story is being retold by a character FROM the story

I wouldn't be surprised if it were actually Ekimu telling the story.

Edited by Toa Green Ninja
  • Upvote 1

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

I just found out that in the Masks of Power trailer at 0:12, it shows the same scene where Tahu arrives and the Vahi is on the rock carved. Only here, the Vahi is NOT.

The new Bionicle theme IS likely to continue to innovate and add new parts to the CCBS as the years go on. But the core system of shells and beams isn't going anywhere.

No, it's not any sort of "transition year", and I don't know where you got that impression. Lego set designers on other sites have made it perfectly clear that the CCBS is here to stay. It was never designed solely as "the Hero Factory system", but rather as an expandable and modular system that could be used for all Constraction themes going forward.

CCBS is no doubt here to stay, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2016 brought a more Technic-integrated implementation. Take the new weapons, for example. They've each got multiple Technic connection points, unlike most of the Hero Factory weapons that I've seen. And of course, there's the gear-functions.

Personally, I would be happy for that to happen. While I have no inherent dislike of CCBS, I do find its implementation thus far wanting. Things like the use of system pin-holes (when Technic axle-holes can hold system pins) or the lack of connection points on weapons and addons are rather frustrating to me. But the ball-connections are dandy, and I appreciate the intent of the designers.

Re Gali's voice-acting: I've no objection to audiobook style voice acting for the rest of  the characters, but since these are animations, not purely aural works, I find Gali's voice disquieting. Imagine if these were Star Wars animations, and Princess Leia had a male voice.

Also, the Toa are apparently going to "find the Mask-Maker," despite the fact that his "lifeless body" has been "laid to rest" by the Protectors. Perhaps the Temple of Time will come in handy in more than one way.

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I already know I'm gonna receive a lot of flak for saying this, but I'm gonna say it:

The new webisodes are not great. They're meh.

I can't wait for the books. These feel very rushed, and have practically no story in them. The only real new story in these is Ekimu giving the Prophecy of Heroes, which contradicts what the website already said. The Story has just started, and it already contradicts itself. Another seeming contradiction is when it says that the Toa will find the "mask-maker". The only Mask-makers we know are Ekimu and Makuta, and we know the Protectors found Ekimu. (maybe it's whoever made the Masks of Creation and Control? We don't know it those were made by Ekimu or Makuta.)

Also, it really bugs me that the Protectors seem to know where the Golden Elemental Masks are. Maybe it's '01 nostalgia speaking, but I'd've preferred a quest to find them, maybe more adventures on the way to them, not just the Protectors saying "there's the mask. Go get it." I know the Skull Spiders are protecting them, but it still seems lacking. Why haven't the SS's gotten the Masks themselves? Or, if they just found them, why didn't the Protectors get the Masks?

Also, when Tahu first arrives on Okoto, his acting is awful. It didn't feel real. It felt more like the narrator was reading off a script (which he was, but it should never seem that way).

And overall, after all the excitement I felt when I read on the news page that these were out, this just feels like a letdown. They didn't excite me. It felt like I was constantly waiting for something to happen, and nothing ever did.

Like I said, I hope the books, being the primary method of telling the story, are better.

The Temple of Time thing is cool, though.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Now, it could potentially confuse some younger viewers whose parents don't want to take the time to explain to their child that yes, Gali is female and that no, she isn't a male. She's just being narrated by one. How often do you think they would do that?  

If they're watching the episodes, they more than likely have access to the bios.  They can read all about the characters' genders there.  Most of them should be smart enough to realize that all of the voices are coming from the same person, and if they don't then they'll think Gali is male until they see enough to show them otherwise.

I remember initially thinking Gali was a male back in 2001, myself.  Then I saw that she wasn't and was like "oh, okay".  For most people it probably isn't going to be a big deal that their parents are going to need to explain.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg