OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

There not robots. Those synth organs need some kind of atmosphere.

Then they breathe oxygen, see how easy that is?

Yeah, I'm not seeing the issue here. Unless a character is specifically stated to breathe something else (or nothing at all), I generally assume that they breathe normal air like us, because usually that's the case?? The story should not have to go out of its way to tell you what its characters breathe. 

• Upvote 1

We don't know that they have "synth organs", let alone whether such organs would need to remain functional for a character like Ekimu who's in a coma.

I think we may find out more about whether the inhabitants of Okoto do or don't need to breathe when we find out more about the water tribe villages. Maybe the water tribe dwellings have air pockets of some kind. Maybe as water characters, water breathing is a unique trait of theirs. Or maybe the inhabitants of Okoto don't need to breathe at all.

After all, it's not like BIONICLE villagers EVER had the exact same life needs as real-world creatures. Matoran need Kanohi masks to survive, something that has no equivalent in any real-world creature.

• Upvote 3

We don't know that they have "synth organs", let alone whether such organs would need to remain functional for a character like Ekimu who's in a coma.

I think we may find out more about whether the inhabitants of Okoto do or don't need to breathe when we find out more about the water tribe villages. Maybe the water tribe dwellings have air pockets of some kind. Maybe as water characters, water breathing is a unique trait of theirs. Or maybe the inhabitants of Okoto don't need to breathe at all.

After all, it's not like BIONICLE villagers EVER had the exact same life needs as real-world creatures. Matoran need Kanohi masks to survive, something that has no equivalent in any real-world creature.

Like I said before, Ekimu isn't alive anymore by our standards. The only thing that's keeping him from truly expiring is likely his mechanical side.  

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Maybe his synth organs rotted away? Like the Mata?

I think you might be overthinking it a bit. The new Bionicle doesn't seem to be focusing too heavily on things like the exact biological processes of the characters, but regardless of the characters' specific biological needs (food, air, sleep, or whatever else), Ekimu's coma/sleep is not necessarily a natural one. Aanchir's "Snow White" analogy is probably apt—Ekimu's sleep was triggered by a pseudo-magical conflict, and as such I doubt he'll rot away or anything like that until the "curse" is broken. And if that turns out not to be the case (and his ongoing health is a concern), I'm sure the story will discuss it when that becomes relevant, like the classic theme did with the 2006 revelation that Mata Nui was not just asleep but dying.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Not anymore. That's actually pretty cool.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I'm not the only one who's realized after looking at the animations that Pohatu's stormarangs probably serve as his "super-kickers" when attached to his feet, right?

That's way cooler than floaters! Even if that doesn't become official I'm gonna pretend like it is :D 

IetTsFQ.png

I might end up moving his knee pads to his feet to fulfill that roll if they look alright. I haven't seen any pics of the new armor piece put on the the foot piece, could someone post what that looks like please?

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Actually, putting the new armor piece on the foot looks kinda okay IMO.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

I might end up moving his knee pads to his feet to fulfill that roll if they look alright. I haven't seen any pics of the new armor piece put on the the foot piece, could someone post what that looks like please?

Actually, putting the new armor piece on the foot looks kinda okay IMO.

Eh, ymmv on how the new armor piece looks on Pohatu's foot. I've seen pictures of what it would look like and to me it just looks unfinished since the armor piece only covers the top of the foot. Then again, I'm one of the few people who doesn't mind that the new Pohatu does not include the "super-kickers". But if it looks good to you then by all means, go nuts.

Pohatus not pohatu without his feet additions! I'm going to MOC him some.

I get that kicking is Pohatu's whole shtick, but I always felt that his kicking gimmick came at the cost of always having really unimpressive weapons compared to the other Toa.

• Upvote 1

Pohatus not pohatu without his feet additions! I'm going to MOC him some.

I get that kicking is Pohatu's whole shtick, but I always felt that his kicking gimmick came at the cost of always having really unimpressive weapons compared to the other Toa.

Fingers, claws, and propeller blades. We're lucky that Pohatu is one of the most honorable of the Toa, because he might have tried to steal the others' weapons if he wasn't. 

• Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

I found The Protector of Water and The Protector of Earth at Target today!  There were two each and I bought one of each.  I really love the sets!.  I only got into Bionicle a couple of months ago but I'm so excited that it's back.  I wanted to get Tahu first, but I wouldn't pass up this opportunity.  This was also the first time I saw sets on shelves before they're officially released (they also had the DC Braniac Attack set).  I like the multi-stud shooters, but I already lost one of the PoW's but there are extras).  I like the boxes, they make up for the lack of canisters to me.  The PoW's torso looks a bit too bulky to me because of the armor piece.  I'm probably going to get Onua sooner than I expected to go with the Protector.  I still would like to get the Toa in my elemental order (Ta, Ga, Po, Onu, Le, Ko).

• Upvote 1

I found The Protector of Water and The Protector of Earth at Target today!  There were two each and I bought one of each.  I really love the sets!.  I only got into Bionicle a couple of months ago but I'm so excited that it's back.  I wanted to get Tahu first, but I wouldn't pass up this opportunity.  This was also the first time I saw sets on shelves before they're officially released (they also had the DC Braniac Attack set).  I like the multi-stud shooters, but I already lost one of the PoW's but there are extras).  I like the boxes, they make up for the lack of canisters to me.  The PoW's torso looks a bit too bulky to me because of the armor piece.  I'm probably going to get Onua sooner than I expected to go with the Protector.  I still would like to get the Toa in my elemental order (Ta, Ga, Po, Onu, Le, Ko).

Daaaang, that 's pretty cool. It almost makes me wanna check my local Toys R Us to see if the sets are there yet, earlier than Wednesday. 

(I hate to be that guy, but I think this discussion would best belong here: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16267-the-new-set-sightings-thread/ )

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Checking my local Walmart and Target proved unfruitful. I guess I'll have to wait until the 2nd and ride to my local Lego store to nab my six. 

Please... just please, anything but selfies... Gali deserve to keep her dignity.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. 

And how does a set take a selfie? :P

Thanks for pointing out that thread to me, Chasm :).  I posted about it there after I saw your post.

I love the new pieces in the sets.  I don't buy many constraction sets, I have Tahu, Vakama, Gali, Onua Jala, Huki, & Tahnok, and some Ninjago sets that use some CCBS parts (Ultra Dragon, Golden Dragon, Kai's Mech, & Cole's Mech). So I'm not extremely familiar with the CCBS bone and shell system.  I like the head, masks, PoW's armor, etc.  I must have been pretty lucky today(even though it's past midnight my time), especially since the stores closest to me only put new sets on the shelves a couple months after their initial release.  I like the gear on the PoE's back, since it's reminiscent of the Toa Mata/Nuva and Metru amaong other classic sets.  I don't mind the Protectors having the same masks since their builds are unique.  It sure will be even more exciting 3-8 business days after I order more on January first or later!

i'm gonna attach the boomerangs to his elbows

How exactly do you plan to do that, out of curiosity? There's not exactly an open attachment point for them there. And what sort of look are you intending to go for with that?

I do love Pohatu's boomerang parts—I used them for counterweighted axe handles on the figure I built at NYCC. I've also thought of several other unique uses for them. Their asymmetricality can make it a little tricky to use the halves individually, but that's not to say it can't be done.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I really hope New Bionicle doesn't develop into something that denies the basic fundamentals it sets up in the beginning and passes off myths and legend as misconstrued by word of mouth, and then try to find a way to explain everything as logical as fiction allows and fit it into a giant universe. 

I really like how they have the whole theme of mystery, magic, elements, and the importance of masks, and are putting forth an effort to establish those as main plot points. A lot of those started to fade after we got off of Mata Nui. Once we left that in the old cannon, everything started to need some type of logical explanation to fit into the universe. It might just be me, but I like worlds where logical answers for everything aren't needed. Where we can suspend our disbelief, and just embrace something far different from the depressing world we live in. 

• Upvote 1

I really hope New Bionicle doesn't develop into something that denies the basic fundamentals it sets up in the beginning and passes off myths and legend as misconstrued by word of mouth, and then try to find a way to explain everything as logical as fiction allows and fit it into a giant universe. 

I really like how they have the whole theme of mystery, magic, elements, and the importance of masks, and are putting forth an effort to establish those as main plot points. A lot of those started to fade after we got off of Mata Nui. Once we left that in the old cannon, everything started to need some type of logical explanation to fit into the universe. It might just be me, but I like worlds where logical answers for everything aren't needed. Where we can suspend our disbelief, and just embrace something far different from the depressing world we live in. 

At the same time, they shouldn't go overboard with the simplification. I agree that we don't need a lot of technical stuff but a degree of depth to the setting and backstory would be great.

• Upvote 3

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

At the same time, they shouldn't go overboard with the simplification. I agree that we don't need a lot of technical stuff but a degree of depth to the setting and backstory would be great.

I agree. As long as they keep the same themes and atmosphere to the story, while building upon all of that, I'll be fine. 

Hopefully the Toa rely on their knowledge of hand-to-hand combat more than they do their powers. I think it makes for a more interesting, and epic character I think. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

That the myths and legends were misconstrued was one of the fundamentals of BIONICLE. Without the concept of Mata Nui as a giant robot, there would have been no legends of the Great Spirit. BIONICLE (or Bone Heads of Voodoo Island, as would likely be more accurate in this scenario) would have been far simpler.

• Upvote 3

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I agree. As long as they keep the same themes and atmosphere to the story, while building upon all of that, I'll be fine. 

If they did that through Bionicle's entire run, wouldn't things get stale and boring? 

• Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

I noticed in the trailer that Ekimu and Makuta have some very cool arm and shoulder armour pieces, I'm wondering if we might see these in summer (I certainly hope so).

Since the animations are so stylized it's hard to tell just what those would look like in physical form, but I've seen some people speculate that they might just be these from this year's Legends of Chima constraction sets. It'd be nice to see those used more widely.

As for their lower arms, I wouldn't read too much into that, since the Protector of Fire's lower arms look about the same in the animations, and the Protector of Fire set doesn't even HAVE lower arms. So Ekimu will probably use basic beams and/or shells for his lower arms.

• Upvote 3

I noticed in the trailer that Ekimu and Makuta have some very cool arm and shoulder armour pieces, I'm wondering if we might see these in summer (I certainly hope so).

Since the animations are so stylized it's hard to tell just what those would look like in physical form, but I've seen some people speculate that they might just be these from this year's Legends of Chima constraction sets. It'd be nice to see those used more widely.

As for their lower arms, I wouldn't read too much into that, since the Protector of Fire's lower arms look about the same in the animations, and the Protector of Fire set doesn't even HAVE lower arms. So Ekimu will probably use basic beams and/or shells for his lower arms.

Well I can still dream, I still expect some cool new parts out of an Ekimu set (assuming there is one).

It's time to move on.