OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Is the time being 2003 an excuse?

I don't follow? I was just related the story of how MNOG II came to be as it was. Largely anecdotal, I wasn't making a statement regarding the quality of BIONICLE site content over the years.

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I've been playing with Basher's bash function, and those who buy it will quickly realize that it has another function: clapping! In fact I think it's better for clapping than it is for bashing. The hands even smack together to make a clapping sound.

• Upvote 3

IetTsFQ.png

I've been playing with Basher's bash function, and those who buy it will quickly realize that it has another function: clapping! In fact I think it's better for clapping than it is for bashing. The hands even smack together to make a clapping sound.

I noticed that myself, although to me the clenched fists gave more of an impression of bashing his fists together intimidatingly.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

How do you have Basher? Did you build it yourself? How?

cringe

How do you have Basher? Did you build it yourself? How?

I built it using these photos provided by Lyichir: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/14525-official-bionicle-2015-topic/page-168?do=findComment&comment=855523

IetTsFQ.png

He (and Lyichir) don't, they just built the function (doable with pictures) and used it in a MoC, like how Scorpio's function was built by farmstink buttlass a few pages ago.

Makes me wonder if next year we might get a 'smasher' function in the style of Basher's function, but vertical instead of horizontal. 

(Never mind, I just so happen to be ninja'd by the very builder of the function)

Anyway...

Is it ever explained why the Protector's masks are half-transparent colour?

Edited by I HATE PUNS.
  • Upvote 1

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

He (and Lyichir) don't, they just built the function (doable with pictures) and used it in a MoC, like how Scorpio's function was built by farmstink buttlass a few pages ago.

Makes me wonder if next year we might get a 'smasher' function in the style of Basher's function, but vertical instead of horizontal. 

(Never mind, I just so happen to be ninja'd by the very builder of the function)

Anyway...

Is it ever explained why the Protector's masks are half-transparent colour?

They were made special by Ekimu.

cringe

I assume it's because they have elemental power. Which would imply that regular masks (non-blended ones) do not.

edit: I went to Target and got Onua (on clearance, yay?) and PoE today. Indeed, he and Gali were on clearance. Which is weird. There were a bunch of other Lego sets on clearance (mostly ultra agents and such) (as well as a lot of the other stuff in the store, Lego or not) but those 2 were the only 2015 sets on clearance. Weird! But fine by me.

Edited by farmstink buttlass

AXKP5KC.png

It's particularly weird because Gali and Onua were the last sets Target got (far as I know they've only had them for about a month), and now they're the only sets they want to get rid of? Super baffling, yes.

edit:oh also, I apparently never noticed before, but my Target also has the big Tahu cardboard display thing. It looks pretty cool!

Edited by farmstink buttlass

AXKP5KC.png

Haven't been to Target in like a few weeks, but all they had when I was there was Kopaka's and Tahu's left on the shelves. All the rest of 'em were gone except for a lone Lewa that was hidden behind a stupid-looking Chima set.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

It's particularly weird because Gali and Onua were the last sets Target got (far as I know they've only had them for about a month), and now they're the only sets they want to get rid of? Super baffling, yes.

That happened to me, too! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I found Onua with plenty to spare in the Target, and then I found Gali at a different Target and there were only three left, so I got two. Everywhere I go, however, has a full stock of Tahu, Pohatu, and LoSS. Now I feel bad (but not for Tahu for some reason).

I've been eyeing the Protectors. Is 7,99€ a pop bad? I inherently thought just getting the Masters from Winter wave.

I can't vouch specifically for the Euro price, being an American, but I can say that they're fantastic little sets. They all have a large number of parts, the new blasters are fantastic, their blended masks look great, and none of them are clone sets. Add in the fact that they pair extremely well with their respective Toa (and that they're a good source of parts in the Toa's colors, three of which are rare in Constraction) and they're a great addition to your collection.

Additionally, I'm not sure whether you collected previous CCBS sets like Hero Factory or Chima. But the Protectors' torso beam is pretty much THE most useful torso beam available in the CCBS, with a large number of connection points crammed into a small area. It's almost essential for small MOCs and great for building up the skeleton of large MOCs. The Protectors are by far the easiest way to get that torso beam.

So I've been thinking of making some adjustment to some color schemes...

I just put an order in to Bricks & Pieces for some dark tan shells, a dark azure shell, and some blue eyestalks. I'm hoping to use the dark tan shells to replace some of Pohatu's silver, and I'm also planning to give him blue eyes. I don't have him yet, but...his torso printing seems to use a color at least approximating dark tan, so hopefully it looks cohesive. Mixing my system dark tan and dark orange parts looks a bit funky, so it might not work too well in practice, but here's to hoping the more elemental colors work...If it doesn't work out I just have a new color to moc with, I guess, so no loss either way.

The dark azure shell I'm just going to use for PoW's torso. The total lack of dark azure in her color scheme outside her mask bothers me way too much, and I've tried it out already and I think it looks much better. It's just such a vast improvement.

The other blue eyestalk I ordered I'm saving for Ekimu. Thinking way ahead over here.

AXKP5KC.png

Are these sets just not selling well with today's kids?

We won't know until LEGO releases their sales figures. I guess it's just a hit or a miss in different locations--numerous stores near me have been pretty bare when it comes to Bionicle sets, but as someone mentioned above, some of 'em are already going on clearance where they're at. 

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher
  • Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

boxhaul3.jpg

Yeah baby! Went to the LEGO Store with my brother and we finished off the Toa collection. He bought me Pohatu and Onua as a late birthday present and he took Lewa for himself, as he was his first set back in 2001. Pretty awesome to finally have all of the Toa on hand, though I won't see them all together until I come home at the end of April. Lewa looks swell but Onua will be a blast to build I'm sure, and I didn't even plan on getting Pohatu yet so it was a pleasant surprise! First time buying anything at a LEGO Store - pretty awesome to get a free polybag. My brother will probably go get some Protectors next month to get that Hero Pack, or I'll just order it online. Trans Tahu Mask looks too cool... or hot? 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I can't vouch specifically for the Euro price, being an American, but I can say that they're fantastic little sets. They all have a large number of parts, the new blasters are fantastic, their blended masks look great, and none of them are clone sets. Add in the fact that they pair extremely well with their respective Toa (and that they're a good source of parts in the Toa's colors, three of which are rare in Constraction) and they're a great addition to your collection.

Additionally, I'm not sure whether you collected previous CCBS sets like Hero Factory or Chima. But the Protectors' torso beam is pretty much THE most useful torso beam available in the CCBS, with a large number of connection points crammed into a small area. It's almost essential for small MOCs and great for building up the skeleton of large MOCs. The Protectors are by far the easiest way to get that torso beam.

The MSRP in Euros is 9,99€, roughly the same in dollars. That's a really good deal, but like everyone else, there's plenty of other stuff to buy too. Mostly the DW Ideas set.

I have a decent collection of CCBS parts already, but a lil' more of Bionicle can never hurt. :P

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

We won't know until LEGO releases their sales figures. I guess it's just a hit or a miss in different locations--numerous stores near me have been pretty bare when it comes to Bionicle sets, but as someone mentioned above, some of 'em are already going on clearance where they're at. 

That's what baffles me. They're already on clearance.

It's only been 2 months.

And they're already on clearance. It's like these stores are desperate to get rid of them.

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

That's what baffles me. They're already on clearance.

It's only been 2 months.

And they're already on clearance. It's like these stores are desperate to get rid of them.

Maybe those stores are paranoid that history is repeating itself, if they had hard time selling Glatorian and Stars sets earlier.

• Upvote 2

qs3135.jpg

The MSRP in Euros is 9,99€, roughly the same in dollars. That's a really good deal, but like everyone else, there's plenty of other stuff to buy too. Mostly the DW Ideas set.

I have a decent collection of CCBS parts already, but a lil' more of Bionicle can never hurt. :P

In that case... the Doctor Who Ideas set might be a while—summer at the absolute earliest, but possibly not until fall or winter. Remember, we've hardly seen anything about the set other than an announcement that they're working on it, and the Big Bang Theory set from the previous review cycle still hasn't been shown either.

The Protectors are fairly cheap, so you could always go for one of them just to see what you think of it before committing to the full lineup.

So, did everyone decide to get their first Toa based on which one they got originally? For instance, I got Pohatu Phantoka as my first set during Gen1, but I decided to pick up Kopaka Okoto this time since I had never owned an ice set from Gen1.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I don't think we should panic just yet. "Two stores have Bionicle sets on clearance! Panic! The Bionicle sets are selling badly! Panic!"

I haven't been regularly scanning store shelves in my area - when I got my set the shelves were well stocked, but that was two months ago. Who knows what will happen when the theme takes off. Bit slow on the draw storywise though, that isn't helping methinks. 

• Upvote 4

So, did everyone decide to get their first Toa based on which one they got originally? For instance, I got Pohatu Phantoka as my first set during Gen1, but I decided to pick up Kopaka Okoto this time since I had never owned an ice set from Gen1.

MY first set was Onua nuva, and I got Onua PoE and LOSS. However it has more to do with that I have all other versions of Onua and that he is my favorite.

Yes and no. My first Toa I got back in 2001 were Tahu and Lewa. And I did get Tahu Okoto when I found him. But instead of getting Lewa with him, I got Kopaka, Lord of Skull Spiders, and the Protector of Ice instead. I did get Lewa a couple weeks later though.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Soooo.... who actually thinks Skull Scorpio is cool?

Myself & at least four-ish plus other people, assumable many more (even if they are a minority compared to the amount of people who like other sets)

Somehow you appear to have more fans *shrugs* although again, it's not like I can read most fans mind ;) 

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Myself & at least four-ish plus other people, assumable many more (even if they are a minority compared to the amount of people who like other sets)

Somehow you appear to have more fans *shrugs* although again, it's not like I can read most fans mind ;)

LOL I like Skull Scorpio as well! :D 

Infact all the summer wave sets seem very cool to me.

• Upvote 2

feb22haul.jpg

LEGO City polybag was a cool little bonus. :P

Really love the two (shorter) sets. Pohatu is pretty awesome, I actually really dig the colour scheme in person. The asymmetrical arms do bother me though. His build was also relatively unexciting and I built him within minutes. Still, not to say he's boring - Pohatu's new weapons (Kaboomerangs?) are really fantastic parts and I love how they aren't just one piece, and his mask is also excellently designed. His adrenaline mode is probably one of the lamest but the dagger as a secondary weapon is kind of cool. Regardless of my complaints, he looks really fantastic as a figure so that's that. 

Now Onua - dang! That set was unexpectedly super awesome. I knew that the build would be different from the other Toa but I was surprised at the complexity of it, and building his gearbox was a blast! Lots of cool, unique ideas in this set. Look-wise, Onua looks strong from the front but a little gappy from other angles. Also, the gold kind of clashes when so much of the sets secondary colours are silver and purple. Awesome torso design, shoulder armour and LOVE his hammer. Plus, giving him claws is both nostalgic and super awesome. Was surprised at how tight his arm swivel motion was - guess he didn't need any friction gears cause that design substitutes for it. Really solid.

And finally, best part was Mask of Light-ing it all up:

mol.jpg

Also, I think Skull Scorpio looks like an awesome set!

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Really love the two (shorter) sets. Pohatu is pretty awesome, I actually really dig the colour scheme in person. The asymmetrical arms do bother me though.

The arms are asymetrical because he's right handed. The silver on the left arm is intended to make it look like he's wearing more armor plating on that arm, and leaves his right are more bare so he can throw harder. This falls right in line with warriors in real life who would wear armor on one arm, but leave their sword-swinging arm uncovered to keep it lighter, so they could swing their sword faster.

This is what I love about these new sets. They're telling a story about these characters, even through such seemingly inconsequential means as color choices. We're not even talking set design, anymore... this is straight up CHARACTER design.

• Upvote 3

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Found on Amazon:

Bionicle chapter book #1

Bionicle activity book #1

Both are listed as releasing on August 25. The chapter book is written by Ryder Windham, who seems to have written or contributed on numerous Star Wars books and novelizations. The activity book says "with mask", but I doubt it will be an exclusive mask given that comparable activity books for themes such as Ninjago or Friends never include exclusive figs.

Not on purpose. Lewa (Phantoka) was my first of the Nuva I ever got, and Lewa was the first Toa I built from gen 2...but only because I didn't find Gali, and he was a secondary purchase to Kopaka anyway.

I do! The mock-up I built at least was pretty neat. I look forward to getting the actual set.

AXKP5KC.png

I like Skull Scorpio. He's far from perfect (in fact, I'd consider him the most flawed of the Skull Villains), but he's creative, has a neat function, and has some neat parts. If my brother and I divide the Skull Villains the way we divided the Toa, I'll get both him and the PHENOMENAL Skull Basher, so I really can't complain.