OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I was simply stating my opinion, I had no intention of it coming off as fact.

Personally, I don't think that you came across as passing your opinion as fact here. It's just that your opinion was really, really rude. Saying that it sickens you how we think, and putting "fans" in quotation marks, as if the fact that we don't put Bionicle on a pedestal doesn't make us fans? It makes you come across as extremely antagonizing and dismissive, and it's not cool. You're entitled to your opinion, you are not entitled to insult others with it.

Wait, you don't put yours on a pedestal? I thought that was a normal thing to do...

• Upvote 1

I was simply stating my opinion, I had no intention of it coming off as fact.

Personally, I don't think that you came across as passing your opinion as fact here. 

Personally, I think he did. Look at the words in question:

"bionicle made Lego what it is today. Bionicle is the greatest thing Lego came up with."

Do you see 'I think' or 'in my opinion' anywhere?

Well, the latter comment does come across more as opinion, to me, simply because words like "greatest" are highly subjective to begin with. The other one, eh, yeah, that one is stated more as fact, but it's also pretty ridiculous, I'm not really sure why we're even taking that one line too seriously. But I guess more importantly, I was more concerned with calling attention to the way he said what he did than what he actually said. We can have discussions about the things that were being discussed, and that's fine, but the antagonistic way it was being done was what bothered me and got me to comment. If the language wasn't so inflammatory, I doubt so much discussion would have sparked up from it. Not that he's the only one at fault, since others have also been pretty harsh with their words. All I wanted to do is try to move the discussion away from who stated what as fact and more towards the way people have stated things. Being rude doesn't really help anyone. :/

AXKP5KC.png

It sickens me how many of you bionicle "fans" think bionicle is only a part of Lego, bionicle made Lego what it is today. Bionicle is the greatest thing Lego came up with.

Not that I disagree with you, but Lego Star Wars had a bigger effect than Bionicle did in bringing the brand back into the spotlight again.

To be fair, no it didn't. While Star Wars and Harry Potter both helped keep the line afloat, in 2003 there was neither a Star Wars nor a Harry Potter film, and the sets from those lines crashed hard, and BIONICLE was the only line in TLG's portfolio to turn a profit, and it indeed accounted for the entirety of TLG's financial success that year. Without BIONICLE, even with Star Wars and Harry Potter, TLG would have gone under.

• Upvote 16

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

It sickens me how many of you bionicle "fans" think bionicle is only a part of Lego, bionicle made Lego what it is today. Bionicle is the greatest thing Lego came up with.

Not that I disagree with you, but Lego Star Wars had a bigger effect than Bionicle did in bringing the brand back into the spotlight again.

To be fair, no it didn't. While Star Wars and Harry Potter both helped keep the line afloat, in 2003 there was neither a Star Wars nor a Harry Potter film, and the sets from those lines crashed hard, and BIONICLE was the only line in TLG's portfolio to turn a profit, and it indeed accounted for the entirety of TLG's financial success that year. Without BIONICLE, even with Star Wars and Harry Potter, TLG would have gone under.

So...TTV is wrong?   :afro:  But yeah, thanks for the clarification. 

• Upvote 1

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi

What are you talking about? TTV directly said in one of their "BIONICLE Autospy" videos (ewww) that BIONICLE was the reason LEGO stayed afloat.

• Upvote 1

I mean, yeah, BIONICLE saved LEGO, but it's a bit inaccurate to say that Star Wars had absolutely NOTHING to do with it... ya know?

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

If Lego released a classic Tahu, how many people would buy it? Just like the Lego Legends theme (A series of re-releases of classic Lego sets from the 90s and earlier), it would not sell very well. Transformers has a larger fanbase than Bionicle, so Hasbro is able to sell figures like that. The Constraction fanbase is small. Bionicle's fanbase is even smaller. I'm not saying Lego absolutely loves their fans, because after all Lego IS a corporation, but they are not blind to their fanbase. Bionicle 2015 is proof of that. Remember, Lego has to balance between doing what the Bionicle fanbase wants and what is going to make Bionicle be successful and continue to have a fanbase.

Well, that's my opinion.

Unfortunately, the LEGO Legends theme was generally not successful for a number of reasons, but most of them boil down to re-releases of sets never really achieving the popularity of current sets. Jamie Berard discussed many of them in this post on the Brickset forums (he was referring to the Café Corner, but most of the roadblocks would apply just as much if not moreso to a Tahu rerelease).

People who already own the original Tahu set have no need for a new copy of it (and they're relatively cheap in the aftermarket, provided you're not intent on getting the set in its original package — Bricklink has used copies selling for less than the set's original cost).

People who owned the set as children will be expecting that same childhood experience when they buy the new set, and thus are bound to be disappointed. Nothing the LEGO Group does can ever truly make you a child again or restore that childlike sense of wonder from building a classic set for the first time. And building a set years after its release, it's a lot easier to notice its flaws. As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

People who never owned the set to begin with will generally not be as nostalgic for it, and might be frustrated when they find that its quality is not on par with what they've come to expect from more recent sets. Today, even the Protectors have knee and elbow joints, and all the sets have friction in their shoulders, traits the classic Toa Mata did not have.

And of course, a lot of the molds from the classic Tahu set are out of production. Returning them to production would be prohibitively expensive for just a single set that probably wouldn't sell anywhere near as well as it did originally (especially since many of them are pretty much obsolete from a set design standpoint). Replacing them with current parts would ruin a lot of the set's nostalgic value, because it could no longer really be considered a re-release of the original Tahu.

I think Klack was referring to how LEGO was perceived by the general public, which WAS improved considerably by LEGO Star Wars, even though that improved perception didn't end up reliably boosting the LEGO Group's bottom line. Truth be told, there are a LOT of adult fans of LEGO who got back into the hobby specifically because of the LEGO Star Wars sets, including some who have since gone on to become LEGO designers!

Of course, this surge in public approval contributed to how the LEGO Star Wars theme's success was "masking" the LEGO Group's failing business model, and as such it was part of what brought the company to its knees in 2003. Inspired by the success of LEGO Star Wars, the LEGO Group came to think they were on the road to recovery well before they actually were.

Even though BIONICLE was a godsend for the LEGO Group in financial terms, it might not have done quite so much to boost the reputation of the LEGO brand among the general public, in part because it tended to distance itself from the LEGO brand more than many other themes. Most LEGO products feature the LEGO logo right up at the top of the package, as large as the theme logo if not larger. BIONICLE products more often pushed the LEGO logo to the bottom of the package, considerably smaller than the theme logo. This might be part of why there are so many people who don't even realize that BIONICLE was a LEGO brand.

The new BIONICLE sets, thankfully, shouldn't have that problem. They feature the LEGO logo up top, next to the theme logo, just like any other LEGO theme. And on the LEGO website, the theme is being promoted as "LEGO® Bionicle", not just "BIONICLE®".

• Upvote 3

^ @SuperGeniusCreator - Might wanna remove that picture, it's still considered a leaked image

Also I got that image from this old BZP article. :) That should give you the information you want!

-NotS

So even after we've seen the sets, they've all been officially announced, and BZPower even has the sets and they're starting to appear in stores... you still can't show that picture.

So when exactly is, say, a preliminary picture of a set considered ok to post? Because I've seen some old Bionicle set prototype pictures on here before. I'm guessing once the sets have stopped being sold or something?

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

^ @SuperGeniusCreator - Might wanna remove that picture, it's still considered a leaked image

Also I got that image from this old BZP article. :) That should give you the information you want!

-NotS

So even after we've seen the sets, they've all been officially announced, and BZPower even has the sets and they're starting to appear in stores... you still can't show that picture.

So when exactly is, say, a preliminary picture of a set considered ok to post? Because I've seen some old Bionicle set prototype pictures on here before. I'm guessing once the sets have stopped being sold or something?

To my knowledge, leaked images are never allowed to be posted. Old prototype pictures posted here are usually those released by LEGO AFAIK.

What are you talking about? TTV directly said in one of their "BIONICLE Autospy" videos (ewww) that BIONICLE was the reason LEGO stayed afloat.

I don't like TTV (because of their occasional swearing and unproffesionalism during podcast discussions + viewpoints I don't fully agree with in their videos), but they did mention Star Wars probably being the reason Bionicle even existed, so I'll give them credit for that. I'm sure Bionicle helped Lego, but Star Wars and other things Lego began doing during the late 1990s to early 2000s were just as important (if not more) than Bionicle.

Maybe I'll start a series of podcasts about Lego news so people will have a kid-friendly place to watch Lego & Bionicle-themed discussion and stuff...

-NotS

To my knowledge, leaked images are never allowed to be posted. Old prototype pictures posted here are usually those released by LEGO AFAIK.

Well that's annoying. But since Lego seems to give BZPower extra goodies for following the policy, I'm not going to complain. And what's a LEGO AFAIK?

Also, I checked out that article, Nidhiki. If only every Lego isle in stores were that big... :P

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I'm sure Bionicle helped Lego, but Star Wars and other things Lego began doing during the late 1990s to early 2000s were just as important (if not more) than Bionicle.

I have to disagree, on the grounds that Bionicle outsold Star Wars in 2002, 2003 and 2004 (and given that there was no Star Wars film in 2001, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same case then as well). Bionicle was undeniably the bigger hit and so almost certainly the bigger factor in Lego avoiding going under.

• Upvote 3

I'm sure Bionicle helped Lego, but Star Wars and other things Lego began doing during the late 1990s to early 2000s were just as important (if not more) than Bionicle.

I have to disagree, on the grounds that Bionicle outsold Star Wars in 2002, 2003 and 2004 (and given that there was no Star Wars film in 2001, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same case then as well). Bionicle was undeniably the bigger hit and so almost certainly the bigger factor in Lego avoiding going under.

Hmmm... good point.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Will these 90 second animations air on TV?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I own two NYCC Clear Tahu masks and it's actually a really cool mask. It's similar to the original but with a nice upgraded feel.

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

*cough*swampadaptedkaukaunuva*cough*

• Upvote 3

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Jesus, Tahu's mask is ugly.

Seriously, that's like Calix levels of ugly.

Doesn't that count as swearing?

I think it looks fine. I was unsure about it at first, but it has really grown on me and now is my second-favorite Hau, next to the original.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I decided to make a 2015 Takanuva in LDD!

takanuva.png

His armor is gold and trans-yellow, and the parts that look white are "white glow."

His battle staffs can combine to create a halberd. The savage planet armor on his thighs is actually bionicle 2015 armor bits.

His primary mask is gold, while his secondary mask is white glow with a trans yellow blending like the protector of fire.

Oh My God that is much better than My MOC G2 Takanuva.

• Upvote 1

Jesus, Tahu's mask is ugly.

Seriously, that's like Calix levels of ugly.

Doesn't that count as swearing?

I think it looks fine. I was unsure about it at first, but it has really grown on me and now is my second-favorite Hau, next to the original.

Where's the swearing? :blink:

Ehh, I think using "Jesus" as an exclamation may count as swearing. (Or at least in my opinion. My beliefs say that I shouldn't use that name like any other random word.)

• Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.