OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Cryoshell is a band with occasionally catchy melodies, mediocre lyrics, and a stiflingly generic sound.  I would much rather that they stay out of things now.  They would clash with the current mood like stale Fritos with a ripe mango.

15863836330_7c7ce4fb30.jpg

"And at the closing of the day              

She loosed the chain, and down she lay;              

The broad stream bore her far away,              

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

We all know that Bionicle G2 isn't getting any comics...so I wonder, does that mean they couldn't find a publisher? Or they just don't care to do 'em? Or perhaps it has something to do with DC? I wonder what the reason for the lack of comics is...

My understanding is that the comics industry is suffering in this increasingly-digital age, so it could just be a poor investment of their resources.

Even Marvel comics? I thought at least those were still doing well.

Xonar, just in bionicle discussion? Ok.

Blast cage, indeed I am! For almost a year :) wanna take a guess at who I am?

Judging by your avatar, I'd say Beastwarsfan. Now going by my avatar, signature, and general mannerisms, can you figure out how I am?

We all know that Bionicle G2 isn't getting any comics...so I wonder, does that mean they couldn't find a publisher? Or they just don't care to do 'em? Or perhaps it has something to do with DC? I wonder what the reason for the lack of comics is...

O_O you right...

Grimmjowl?

Yup, it's me! :D

Probably because the primary audience for Bionicle no longer read comics.  I mean even most 'comic book fans' don't even read comic books.  How many rabid Captain America/Thor/Iron Man fans are out there that have only seen the movies and not even once picked up the actual comic books.

I don't read comics that much because of budget. I buy manga occasionally, but Bleach is the only one I buy. I spend so much money on movies, videogames, Masterpiece Transformers, Mountain Dew, food, and the occasional book that my wallet is almost always a barren wasteland. A lot of comics are usually too lackluster for me anyways. A Bionicle comic series would be one of the few I'd buy. The Marvel/AoT crossover comic will be bought when that comes out though.

• Upvote 1

My understanding is that the comics industry is suffering in this increasingly-digital age, so it could just be a poor investment of their resources.

Even Marvel comics? I thought at least those were still doing well.

I'm not a big comic book fan, so I can't speak for specifics. It's just my understanding that the industry in general is suffering.

That said, I'd imagine Marvel owes a lot of its current success to its boom in the film industry.

Cryoshell is anything but generic, buddy. You need to have your ears checked.

These guys could be big. I want them to go places and be more successful. Making a ###### song for the new theme would be the first step.

They're an Evanescence copycat.  "Creeping in My Soul" is "Bring Me To Life."  There's almost no difference.

• Upvote 1

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

If you notice Tahu and Kopaka's voices are different between the story videos and the narrator for the individual characters own short video. What this means to me is as the story videos continue we will get different voice actors for each character, and yes a female for Gali. Just the characters clips are voices by the same narrator, but yes he could have described the characters not saying he was them since he was narrating I don't think it was a wise choice and the male voice for Gali does sort of grind my gears a female one would sound so much better.

Being a bigger Marvel fan than a Bionicle fan these days, I can say without a doubt that section of the comic book industry isn't hurting, it's growing. Like Wally said, a big a part of it is due to Movies' success, which brings in more fans trying to understand the characters. [and hipsters cough cough]

Though, DC is declining in sales lol.

Edited by Toa Borox
Political content removed. -B6

Maybe they sound similar, sure. But other than sounding alike nothing else is copied. By that logic, every other rock band with a female singer is trying to copy them.

No, they aren't. Cryoshell is not trying to copy anybody. They have their own sound that is special to them. When I listen to Cryoshell after listening to other bands they never sound alike.

• Upvote 1

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

The only difference I can hear between the two is that Cryoshell's lead singer isn't as good.  Perhaps I simply don't listen to enough of that genre...in any case, I don't mind them all that much as a band, I suppose.  I just hope they're not involved with the reboot.  We get enough of that Linkin Park/Green Day/"Wow I'm so edgy and rebellious making a tie-in song for a major franchise"/alt-rock malarkey as it is.  I'd rather see TLG try something more unique.

• Upvote 1

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

It's not only been done before, it's been done to death, by BIONICLE and everyone else.  We've hit restart, we've got a new beginning--let's do something different.

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

Let's not and say we did. They already have those terrible cartoons. That's different enough.

These new animations are lovely; easily the best look since 2002 (although I have a soft spot for Sayger's comics).  I just wish the writing and narration were a bit better.

"Bring Me To Life."

now there's the song Bionicle 2015 was looking for. :L

It's 11 years in the past and should probably stay there.

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

Let's not and say we did.

Or let's actually do it and also say we did.  If you want 2006-2009 BIONICLE again you can go watch 2006-2009 BIONICLE again.

My thoughts exactly.  They've got the chance to do something new; why not take it?

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know me wanting Cryoshell and stuff back in this new Bionicle meant that I wanted the old Bionicle, the one we weren't talking about and which had no relevance to our discussion.  

Learn to read.

Hey now, no need to get all ad hominem, chum.

Edited by Jayk

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

If you notice Tahu and Kopaka's voices are different between the story videos and the narrator for the individual characters own short video. What this means to me is as the story videos continue we will get different voice actors for each character, and yes a female for Gali. Just the characters clips are voices by the same narrator, but yes he could have described the characters not saying he was them since he was narrating I don't think it was a wise choice and the male voice for Gali does sort of grind my gears a female one would sound so much better.

Different voices =/= different voice actors. A good voice actor has a myriad of different voices at their disposal.

The narrator, however, has the vocal range of Microsoft Sam, so it's a much smaller myriad, but still. Same guy.

• Upvote 6

You guys don't understand that they CAN do something new. Cryoshell has talent and can probably pull off an epic ballad if they were asked.

And for the record, Bring Me To Life is never out of style. It will always be one of the most relevant and popular songs written by anyone ever. It's an iconic tune.

• Upvote 1

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

I really don't want Bionicle to be soundtracked by Buttrock. Personal preference, mind you.

It sounds weirdly okay in all of those Sonic games no one likes (inexplicably so???), but it's not the tone the new Bionicle has.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 1

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

And for the record, Bring Me To Life is never out of style. It will always be one of the most relevant and popular songs written by anyone ever. It's an iconic tune.

Legitimately hadn't thought of nor heard it in years until now, and I work at a radio station.

Can anyone remember a time when Bionicle did well without any rock bands at all?

There's also the fact that rock as a genre has seen something of a decline since Bionicle's last run.

I certainly can.  I rather enjoyed it.  As for rock, certain brands and genres are doing well, but you're right to an extent.

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

I really don't want Bionicle to be soundtracked by Buttrock. Personal preference, mind you.

It sounds weirdly okay in all of those Sonic games no one likes (inexplicably so???), but it's not the tone the new Bionicle has.

HaHA!  I'd never heard that term for it before...

There's also the fact that rock as a genre has seen something of a decline since Bionicle's last run.

good point, if rock's dying, it's about time to bring back disco.

Saturday Night Fikou?

• Upvote 3

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

I haven't got any problem with Cryoshell, but I wouldn't mind somebody new, especially since Cryoshell's members seem like they might be busy with non-band-related things these days.

As for WHAT kind of promotional music we get, mainly I just want something catchy I can sing along to, with lyrics that relate directly to the BIONICLE story. I don't have any pretentions about certain genres being inherently better or worse than others. And a promotional song doesn't need to "belong" to the universe in quite the same way a soundtrack or musical score does, IMO.

To those saying BIONICLE didn't need rock music in the early years, don't forget that there was SUPPOSED to be a promotional album with some big names back in 2002, but for whatever reason in didn't end up happening. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't that the creators of BIONICLE considered it an affront to the theme's tone or creative integrity. This is ADVERTISING we're talking about, not theme music or a soundtrack that was supposed to define BIONICLE on a fundamental level.

• Upvote 1

To those saying BIONICLE didn't need rock music in the early years, don't forget that there was SUPPOSED to be a promotional album with some big names back in 2002, but for whatever reason in didn't end up happening. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't that the creators of BIONICLE considered it an affront to the theme's tone or creative integrity. This is ADVERTISING we're talking about, not theme music or a soundtrack that was supposed to define BIONICLE on a fundamental level.

That does kind of emphasize what we're saying, though, since there was no album, BIONICLE did fine, and what music was used (in games and promo CDs and whatnot) is still considered to be part of the line's definitive sound.

• Upvote 1

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

Soooo... I'm the only one who wasn't particularly fond of Cryoshell then and doesn't really want that style of music back...? Okay then...

Granted, I only really recall Bye, Bye Babylon from them, but I didn't care for that enough to go listening to more.

I'm not sure what I'd want (and my own personal tastes in music would be horrible fits lol), but just not really them.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 2

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Soooo... I'm the only one who wasn't particularly fond of Cryoshell then and doesn't really want that style of music back...? Okay then...

Granted, I only really recall Bye, Bye Babylon from them, but I didn't care for that enough to go listening to more.

I'm not sure what I'd want (and my own personal tastes in music would be horrible fits lol), but just not really them.

~|ET|~

I certainly don't want it back (spent a good page and a half saying so! :P ).  I think Bfa said something similar...

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

This could easily be its own topic...

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

~|ET|~

I certainly don't want it back (spent a good page and a half saying so! :P ).  I think Bfa said something similar...

Yeahhh i was a bit behind when saying that heh.

In that case, Motorhead please. "Killed by Death" can play every time the Toa beat down hordes of Skull Spiders. Would be perfect.

---

Aanchir's totally got a good point with the distinction between thematic music and advertising too. For advertising purposes... gotta go with what's catchy really.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."