OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

We need somebody with a Biology Major to help us out.

*raises hand*
Tell us amigo, how would an organism like the PoE live with a machine gun in his chest?

Speaking of which, doesn't the Protector of Fire have a machine gun attacked to his shoulder that comes out on command? Fisher might be right.

Assuming that the villagers species absorb nutrients like matoran did, they would have no need for guts, the belly region my simply hold the power cells, which could easily have been moved to another section of the body, as for the Ta villager, it may simply be hammerspace.

Bionicle is guilty of using it, just look at LoMN, where dose Vakama store that launcher?

Magnetism on his back?

• Upvote 1

It's a bit too late for "no genders" since pronouns have already been set.

Where? The protector's bios were all generic, and I don't remember any gender pronouns being used for the Protectors. Now the Toa were all firmly established with pronouns, I'll agree on. Could be selective memory, though.

As for biology/PoE weirdness, it may be that the Protectors of Earth had those guns naturally, and the other tribes adapted them. Otherwise becoming the village leader might involve a messy surgery.

We're working under the assumption that the Toa and Protectors and the Mask Makers are all part of the same sort of species deal, aren't we?

I wasn't necessarily. I think the Toa are different species. The Mask Makers and the Protectors may be a part of the same species, but I'm not sure.  

Going off the gun thing, could be a species variation. Some of us have different colored eyes/skin, for example, so it could be that an adult Protector has a gun, and what type of Protector he is changes where the gun is located.  It would be harder to explain the Protector of Stone and Jungle's weapons using that theory though. :shrugs:

I meant species in that they were similarly functioning life forms, I didn't really know how else to say it 'cause we've been using 'species' for the Matoran/Toa/Turaga species and the like forever. If they're all generally the same sort of thing, then genders for one would mean genders for the other, since they're not really like... separate... things. Is my English going or am I just as confused on what words to use as everyone else? :P

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 3

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

We need somebody with a Biology Major to help us out.

*raises hand*
Tell us amigo, how would an organism like the PoE live with a machine gun in his chest?

Speaking of which, doesn't the Protector of Fire have a machine gun attacked to his shoulder that comes out on command? Fisher might be right.

Assuming that the villagers species absorb nutrients like matoran did, they would have no need for guts, the belly region my simply hold the power cells, which could easily have been moved to another section of the body, as for the Ta villager, it may simply be hammerspace.

Bionicle is guilty of using it, just look at LoMN, where dose Vakama store that launcher?

Magnetism on his back?

Nope. Look closely and you'll notice the Toas weapons vanish once they put them on their backs.

I meant species in that they were similarly functioning life forms, I didn't really know how else to say it 'cause we've been using 'species' for the Matoran/Toa/Turaga species and the like forever. If they're all generally the same sort of thing, then genders for one would mean genders for the other, since they're not really like... separate... things. Is my English going or am I just as confused on what words to use as everyone else? :P

Yarr, but we wouldn't need to fall back on that reasoning, since biological reproduction is strongly implied. For that, you would need genders. 

It's also strongly implied that the Toa and the Protectors are different things. :shrugs: For one thing, one is taller than the other. :P

But whether Ekimu and Makuta are the same thing as the Protectors is an open question. If they are part of the Protectors' thing, or came from the Protectors somehow, then they would be gendered like they are; if not, they could have gender anyway. 

(By the way, as far as I know only the Toa have confirmed genders. So you could view the whole place at this point as Girl Island. I'm very strongly inclined to believe that Ekimu and Makuta are male, however, and that the vast majority of Protectors are male as well, because it makes more sense - especially the Protector of Fire. :shrugs:)

• Upvote 2

Yarr, but we wouldn't need to fall back on that reasoning, since biological reproduction is strongly implied. For that, you would need genders. 

It's also strongly implied that the Toa and the Protectors are different things. :shrugs: For one thing, one is taller than the other. :P

But whether Ekimu and Makuta are the same thing as the Protectors is an open question. If they are part of the Protectors' thing, or came from the Protectors somehow, then they would be gendered like they are; if not, they could have gender anyway. 

(By the way, as far as I know only the Toa have confirmed genders. So you could view the whole place at this point as Girl Island. I'm very strongly inclined to believe that Ekimu and Makuta are male, however, and that the vast majority of Protectors are male as well, because it makes more sense - especially the Protector of Fire. :shrugs:)

Ekimu and Makuta were both called 'brothers'.

Edited by Chasm
  • Upvote 3

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Ekimu and Makuta were both called 'brothers'.

*facepalm* Looks I got too carried away. Yarr, only the Protector's genders are unconfirmed. 

Why do the Toa have to use their Golden Masks to use their weapons in their original forms? For example,  Gali has her harpoon and fins.

Fine.

But then on the back of her box it shows her using the entire weapon without the mask but in the animations she can't use it without the gold mask. Why is this? She isn't smart enough to know that if she connects her fins to her harpoon she can make an awesome new weapon? I was hoping that she could use both versions without the need for the gold mask every time. This is disappointing.

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Why do the Toa have to use their Golden Masks to use their weapons in their original forms? For example,  Gali has her harpoon and fins.

Fine.

But then on the back of her box it shows her using the entire weapon without the mask but in the animations she can't use it without the gold mask. Why is this? She isn't smart enough to know that if she connects her fins to her harpoon she can make an awesome new weapon? I was hoping that she could use both versions without the need for the gold mask every time. This is disappointing.

How disappointing?

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Fine.

Why assume that they CAN'T use their weapons in their original forms without the Golden Masks? Just because they switch to Battle Mode after getting the Golden Masks doesn't mean they couldn't have done so before. Kopaka even has his weapons in Battle Mode in Episode 3 as he's still traveling with the Protector of Ice towards where his Golden Mask is hidden.

As I understand it, what the Golden Masks unlock are more advanced elemental abilities, like that fire whirlwind attack Tahu used against the Lord of Skull Spiders, the "Frost Sphere" shielding ability that Kopaka used, and Gali's "running on water" in their respective character videos.

The reason the Toa switch to Battle Mode after getting their golden masks and not before is pretty sensible. Before, getting to the golden masks is their goal, and so they use the mobility-oriented Adrenalin Mode. After they have their golden masks, they can focus their attention on defeating the approaching Skull Spiders, for which they employ the more combat-oriented Battle Mode. Gali may be more powerful in Battle Mode, but she's a lot faster underwater in Adrenalin Mode.

• Upvote 5

Fine.

Why assume that they CAN'T use their weapons in their original forms without the Golden Masks? Just because they switch to Battle Mode after getting the Golden Masks doesn't mean they couldn't have done so before. Kopaka even has his weapons in Battle Mode in Episode 3 as he's still traveling with the Protector of Ice towards where his Golden Mask is hidden.

As I understand it, what the Golden Masks unlock are more advanced elemental abilities, like that fire whirlwind attack Tahu used against the Lord of Skull Spiders, the "Frost Sphere" shielding ability that Kopaka used, and Gali's "running on water" in their respective character videos.

The reason the Toa switch to Battle Mode after getting their golden masks and not before is pretty sensible. Before, getting to the golden masks is their goal, and so they use the mobility-oriented Adrenalin Mode. After they have their golden masks, they can focus their attention on defeating the approaching Skull Spiders, for which they employ the more combat-oriented Battle Mode. Gali may be more powerful in Battle Mode, but she's a lot faster underwater in Adrenalin Mode.

Chances are that we aren't gonna be able to as technical as we were with Gen 1 :( So all these specifics probably won't ever be confirmed :(

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Fine.

Chances are that we aren't gonna be able to as technical as we were with Gen 1 :( So all these specifics probably won't ever be confirmed :(

Actually, i think Aanchir nailed it on this one. Adrenaline Mode (Mata Nui, that name sucks) is more mobility focused, allowing Tahu to surf on lava, Gali to swim faster, Lewa to fly, Onua to dig, Pohatu to ride whirlwinds, and Kopaka to ski. They're racing to a macguffin, so it'd make sense to use the more mobile of the two options, switching to the Battle Mode's stronger weapons after noticing that there's an actual threat around.

• Upvote 4

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Fine.

Actually, i think Aanchir nailed it on this one. Adrenaline Mode (Mata Nui, that name sucks) is more mobility focused, allowing Tahu to surf on lava, Gali to swim faster, Lewa to fly, Onua to dig, Pohatu to ride whirlwinds, and Kopaka to ski. They're racing to a macguffin, so it'd make sense to use the more mobile of the two options, switching to the Battle Mode's stronger weapons after noticing that there's an actual threat around.

I'm not saying he's wrong, it's just we can't be sure, I don't think we'll have close contact with the story writer like we did before in order to confirm these things :(

@MasterChirox: He's in a coma.

Edited by UngluedBike

hTeXGIU.png

Comatose bodies are lifeless at a glance. In this case, 'life' doesn't mean breathing, or heartbeat (heartlight?), but visible or audible activity.

• Upvote 1

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I'm not saying he's wrong, it's just we can't be sure, I don't think we'll have close contact with the story writer like we did before in order to confirm these things :(

This kind of overreliance on the word of an author to confirm or deny an insignificant detail that is rather obvious when approached from a logical angle shows one of the many, many ways Bionicle G1 went wrong.

• Upvote 6

Comatose bodies are lifeless at a glance. In this case, 'life' doesn't mean breathing, or heartbeat (heartlight?), but visible or audible activity.

Then why did they put him in a sarcophagus where he can't breath (unless they don't need oxygen). 

Feel free to correct me, but don't people in a coma need less oxygen? And of course, we didn't see the entire sarcophagus; there could very well be holes in the sides to allow some oxygen in. Secondly, they (seem to) know he's not going to wake up without some kind of external stimulus. Perhaps the mask of creation being put beck on his face will act like a pacemaker and jolt him awake.

Then why did they put him in a sarcophagus where he can't breath (unless they don't need oxygen). 

The Protector of Water can breathe under water, as seen in the animations. So can the rest of the water village, since their residence is under the waves. Maybe these creatures don't need any respiration to survive? 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

Keep in mind that to the Protectors, the difference between "dead" and "in a coma" might not be entirely clear. It's kind of like in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs — the dwarfs believed Snow White to be dead even though she was actually just in an enchanted sleep. The story might have ended very differently if the dwarfs practiced cremation. :P

• Upvote 11

Feel free to correct me, but don't people in a coma need less oxygen? And of course, we didn't see the entire sarcophagus; there could very well be holes in the sides to allow some oxygen in. Secondly, they (seem to) know he's not going to wake up without some kind of external stimulus. Perhaps the mask of creation being put beck on his face will act like a pacemaker and jolt him awake.

I don't know much about being in a coma so I can't answer that, maybe there are some breathing holes (or again maybe they don't need oxygen), personally I think it might be that they think he's dead but he actually isn't (like Aanchir said). 

It's time to move on.

The coma that Ekimu/Makuta are in was brought about by immense trauma, strong enough in fact, that it caused a large shockwave that traveled across the entire island. Assuming the beings of the Okotoverse are now mostly organic (since they can reproduce), their bodies simply shut down to preserve themselves. The mechanical parts however, are responsible for keeping them alive in the first place. (Allowing Ekimu to live without air in that coffin.) 

Both Makuta And Ekimu would be dead if they weren't part robot. 

Edited by Chasm
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Okay, I get that. But why not bullrush the spiders and then get the mask? Gali is THE MASTER of water. She should be able to deal with a few spiders in her way. That Trident is pretty big so smacking a few of them out of the way before grabbing the mask seems right to me.

I understand the larger Skull Spiders might need some more power to deal with but the little ones shouldn't pose a threat to someone with Gali's caliber.

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

The Protector of Water can breathe under water, as seen in the animations. So can the rest of the water village, since their residence is under the waves. Maybe these creatures don't need any respiration to survive? 

Who said Oxygen was even a thing in Gen 2?

• Upvote 1

hTeXGIU.png

Okay, I get that. But why not bullrush the spiders and then get the mask? Gali is THE MASTER of water. She should be able to deal with a few spiders in her way. That Trident is pretty big so smacking a few of them out of the way before grabbing the mask seems right to me.

I understand the larger Skull Spiders might need some more power to deal with but the little ones shouldn't pose a threat to someone with Gali's caliber.

The individual animations seem to suggest that they're not truly the Master of their element until they have their Golden Mask, which makes sense seeing as the masks are what give them mastery of their element.

Even if she was comfortable rushing a large swarm of spiders that, if they get her mask off, will certainly defeat her, surely it'd be better to wait to attack until she has her Golden Mask? Besides, that was the entire point of the quest. It makes sense she'd want to complete it as quickly as possible.

• Upvote 2

Well they are more organic creatures then last time so it's possible they need oxygen.

It's time to move on.

I don't think anything has been confirmed what Bionicle's breath in G1 and G2. It's always assumed they breath oxygen because there's actually green plants eveywhere that aren't made of metal.

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I don't anything has been confirmed what Bionicle's breath in G1 and G2. It's always assumed they breath oxygen because there's actually green plants eveywhere that aren't made of metal.

Plus they are partially organic beings, so there's that. 

Once again, I am criticizing my own point >.<

hTeXGIU.png

Who ever said they were Carbon-based lifeforms? For all we know, they could be made of something totally crazy that would never work in real life, like Silicon. This is fiction and the authors can do whatever they want without having it be totally scientifically accurate. The "It's another universe" explanation works perfectly. 

• Upvote 4

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Maybe Gali could have done better with her trident, and maybe she couldn't. Either way, though, she managed to do just fine with the harpoon and fins.

I'm totally having Gali take a selfie when I get her.

omg yes

omg no

Edited by Boidoh
  • Upvote 2

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Who ever said they were Carbon-based lifeforms? For all we know, they could be made of something totally crazy that would never work in real life, like Silicon. This is fiction and the authors can do whatever they want without having it be totally scientifically accurate. The "It's another universe" explanation works perfectly. 

We (the audience) are supposed to assume they breathe oxygen because a story's no good if it has to spoon-feed you such trivial details as that. :t

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I'm totally having Gali take a selfie when I get her.

omg yes

omg no

omg please tell that guy to leave the room.

i'm sorry BlueBlur :(

not everyone can enjoy a good selfie

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg