OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

And the story... Well, we don't know much yet, but I feel this is not going to get to the complexity of even 2001. Not even unity, duty destiny;

The three virtues were first introduced with the Toa Nuva in 2002, and as concepts they didn't see serious use until Mask of Light in the fall of 2003. People often assume that they were present from 2001 because Hapka's Tale of the Toa retroactively adds them to the mix.

The philosophical and mystical aspects of the islander's culture were much more subtle and integrated in 2001, not spelled out in a blatant list. The new BIONICLE will have every chance to do this itself, once the story gets rolling.

• Upvote 2

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

@scratchR

I think the problem here is that you're looking for specific things. If you go into something demanding something exact, you're almost always going to end up disappointing. The key is to be open and willing to give the story a chance. As a consumer of this story, you must go in with the clear and unbiased feeling of pure water, flowing through, wrapping and moving around the creases of the story until you become a part of it and feel what it is and what it's trying to tell you.

Judging it based on an incomplete understanding and having strict, un-flexible expectations is like smashing into things like a brick. In the end, no one ends up happy. It's great to want to see some things that you liked from the old Bionicle, and as you can see we already got many call-backs to the old series and sets, but it's time to stop looking for the original 2001 canisters and start looking for something else that gives you an extra thrill. If the theme doesn't completely satisfy you, stick with it and support it to make it grow and make it better. The world improves when people try to improve it, not tear it apart.

And it's (still) too early to make complete and absolute opinions on the story. We simply haven't received enough of it yet or experienced it to its fullest. And if you haven't seen the sets in real life, you can't really make complete judgement on that either. Keep that in mind. 

• Upvote 4

I'm really looking forward to seeing the next wave. This wave is about half good half meh looking to me. It's a huge step in the right direction, but needs to really smooth the rough edges off the designs. Aside from Pohatu, they lack a certain aesthetic quality about them. I'm not trying to sound snoobish, but the proportions on the some of them are bulky and unappealing. And Lewa looks like a pig.

Hopefully the next wave will be more streamlined.

Edited by Seaborgium

MnRA5kV.png

Yessss, give us new Bohrok. But jump straight to the Kal this time. Normal Bohrok only work with the MU = giant robot plot twist. The Kal though? Could repurpose them a lot easier.

The Kal don't make any sense without the context of the Bohrok themselves, though. Yes, you could repurpose the Kal as an independent series of villains—but if you're changing their role that much then it'd be no harder (and in fact, probably easier) to repurpose the Bohrok as alien invaders or whatnot.

Plus, the regular Bohrok were just better. Always have been. :P

True, the Bohrok could be invaders...or even rogue machines, Skynet-style. Although the Kal could make sense without the context of the Bohrok if written right. Rewrite them as elite beings of sorts. Have them be actual reptilian beings this time instead of robots with reptilian markings. 

@scartchR

Plus its not like 2001 was much different. There was barely any story material minus MNOG (which wasn't approved by the story team) and the 3 comics. What we have for story for 2015 right now (and the fact that we are getting books) has certainly exceeded 2001 in that respect.

Give it some time. Wait until the year has passed before making the definitive judgement. :)

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

@scartchR

Plus its not like 2001 was much different. There was barely any story material minus MNOG (which wasn't approved by the story team) and the 3 comics. What we have for story for 2015 right now (and the fact that we are getting books) has certainly exceeded 2001 in that respect.

Give it some time. Wait until the year has passed before making the definitive judgement. :)

-NotS

Yeah, I was just gonna say, you may be apprehensive, but do remember that the line doesn't even official begin until next year, and then you have to wait for the year to play out and for things to actually happen; we don't even know what the second wave of sets for 2015 are gonna be like. I can't really say anything about your complaints 'cause they're all your own personal taste and opinions, but I just wanna say that I think it's gonna be really great and worthy of the name Bionicle, and that you shouldn't be thaaat worried ^^

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

After seeing a video of the new Tahu set, I'm now fairly certain that the new sets are going to be great for kids and older BIONICLE fans to enjoy. Personally, I don't think I'm going to be involved much in the new BIONICLE. I'm certainly not going to be buying any of the sets, but I might check up on the story, if it's interesting enough.

I swear that every time TTV previews are mentioned here, it will spark a massive debate... So I suggest not to.

EDIT: Oh look... the six hundred and sixty sixth post... I better post something else quickly.

Edited by Boidoh

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I gotta say I'm really warming up to the new bionicle sets after seeing those previews. They look great. They're actually very complex and have some super cool gear functions, which I was initially worried about. Onua looks awesome! I'm probably going to get him and kopaka. They look like the most solid builds to me out of all the sets. (...One of the reasons being that I don't like the ball joints being exposed on the other toa. Looks tacky.)

Edited by Chezzymann

Most of them I am super impressed by, and I keep changing my decision on who to buy first.... I hope to stay firm to buying Gali, Kopaka, LoSS and the Water Defender first, then the rest.

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Onua is definitely amazing. My fears were unwarranted. Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with posting TTV's reviews, as they're just that: reviews. 

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Yeah, I know some people don't like TTV, but I think they work hard at what they do, and it seems like they're getting better at either avoiding inaccuracies or acknowledging them clearly in the video itself. Their Pohatu is pretty much spot-on, besides his gearbox being mounted one module too high, and their Onua is also mostly accurate as far as I can tell (besides some grey connectors that should be black, which they clearly acknowledged).

• Upvote 8

How would you want to see the new elemental powers handled in 2015? I know they're doing a new take on it. I really hope that it follows some sort of natural progression, and they unlock more powers as they become stronger. I was thinking something like this:

Novice < Advance < Expert

Fire: Fire control/resistance < Create Fire/Absorb heat< Lightning

Water: Water Control/Enhanced swimming skills < Create Water/Breath underwater unassisted < Healing

Jungle: Air and plant manipulation < Air generation < Unassisted flight

Ice: Ice touch/cold resistance < Ice constructs < Flash freezing at distance

Stone: Shatter and manipulate stones < Stone generation < Metal

Earth: Summon Earthquakes < Create stretches of Earth < Gravity

Edited by Prime Axiom

Yeah, I know some people don't like TTV, but I think they work hard at what they do, and it seems like they're getting better at either avoiding inaccuracies or acknowledging them clearly in the video itself. Their Pohatu is pretty much spot-on, besides his gearbox being mounted one module too high, and their Onua is also mostly accurate as far as I can tell (besides some grey connectors that should be black, which they clearly acknowledged).

Why would people hate TTV? What they gave you a preview of what the 2015 sets might look like in hand, if that's the case how is that a bad thing?

• Upvote 5

It's time to move on.

Why would people hate TTV? What they gave you a preview of what the 2015 sets might look like in hand, if that's the case how is that a bad thing?

Some think that their material is rushed, others are just jelly because they previewed it before they did.

• Upvote 4

bZpOwEr

Exactly what I've been saying. Probably some of the people who dislike the previews are those who already got the sets from the VIP event... 

Some think that their material is rushed, others are just jelly because they previewed it before they did.

Exactly. Also, some people just cannot handle that their primary source of relaying information are discussion videos. 

Onua is definitely amazing. My fears were unwarranted. Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with posting TTV's reviews, as they're just that: reviews

They stopped calling them reviews for some reason or the other; they are previews now. It seems that some people here can hate TTV to the point where they don't even want to see the future sets, claiming that you cannot review a set before it is released. But see, they are not really, in a sense, reviewing it to say wether to buy it or not (espsecially since it isn't the final final version, since we know there will be some fixes in the final final version), but to really show the fans how the sets will look in advance, fueling the hype train, *insert meme thing here*. So that's my guess as to why they are "previews" now.

EDIT: Erm... I just realized that this was all about TTV... I think Gali looks great!

Edited by Boidoh
  • Upvote 3

Again this topic is not about TTV's credibility. Move on.

Yes sir.

On another note I have a theory about the mask of ultimate power, the reason why it's blurred in the trailer is because they don't have a final design for it and thus why there is black smoke covering the mask. Also seeing as to how the masks of creation and control appear to have a finalized appearance I'm willing to bet that both Ekimu and Makuta will be released in summer 2015(and I imagine they will be in their pre coma forms).

• Upvote 3

It's time to move on.

How would you want to see the new elemental powers handled in 2015? I know they're doing a new take on it. I really hope that it follows some sort of natural progression, and they unlock more powers as they become stronger. I was thinking something like this:

Water: Water Control/Enhanced swimming skills < Create Water/Breath underwater unassisted < Healing

That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how I feel about some of the Expert powers. Making Lightning, Metal and Gravity subpowers of the main elements kind of prohibits them from appearing as main powers later, something that I'd really like to see. And I hope Lewa's Jungle element has only a slight relation to plants and more of a focus on Wind, to allow a dedicated Plantlife character later.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

that actually seems really neat, sort of an Avatar(the TV series, not the James Cameron movie) feel to it.

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

This is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNrcelGmlG0&feature=youtu.be&a=

A Russian news channel reporting on Bionicle at Comic Con. Some BZPers appear as well!

-NotS

I'm gonna assume it was a slow news day(I don't remember hearing about bionicle having a significantly big following in Russia), also remember to translate the captions, it's pretty funny.

It's time to move on.

Again this topic is not about TTV's credibility. Move on.

Yes sir.

On another note I have a theory about the mask of ultimate power, the reason why it's blurred in the trailer is because they don't have a final design for it and thus why there is black smoke covering the mask. Also seeing as to how the masks of creation and control appear to have a finalized appearance I'm willing to bet that both Ekimu and Makuta will be released in summer 2015(and I imagine they will be in their pre coma forms).

The ominous black mask on a lot of the promo art and such looks like the MOUP to me. I'm pretty sure they probably have a finalized, or at least semi-finalized design for it. They probably just wanted to keep it mysterious and creepy looking by not giving a clear view of it yet, to emphasize its importance.

I would suspect that Ekimu and Makuta will be released summer 2015, but there's no confirmation. Also, what do you mean pre-coma forms? I don't imagine they would look a load different from how they were before (except maybe Makuta, who seems to have undergone a transformation. Maybe we might see both versions in the future...)

Though I'm interested in why the Mask of Creation is being pushed so heavily while the Mask of Control and UP aren't. Maybe it's because it's the "good guy mask". Or possibly each year the main focus will be on the next legendary mask, meaning we might get a Makuta set later in the game.

The ominous black mask on a lot of the promo art and such looks like the MOUP to me.

Just looks like Skull Spider eyes to me.

It's definitely not. There's a considerable gap between the "eyebrow" ridges, which is flat and level with the "nose". The Skull Spiders' eye sockets look much different. Here's the image in full size if anyone is interested. If it is supposed to be a Skull Spider mask, then it's from a considerably earlier stage of development than the actual Skull Spiders in the same image.

I'm not sure which mask it could represent. If it's supposed to be Makuta's face, probably the Mask of Control, just because I'm assuming he won't reclaim the Mask of Ultimate Power right away. But if the Mask of Ultimate Power does turn out to have its own consciousness (which would not be impossible), then it could be that mask after all.

• Upvote 3

This is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNrcelGmlG0&feature=youtu.be&a=

A Russian news channel reporting on Bionicle at Comic Con. Some BZPers appear as well!

-NotS

0:52-1:10 -- "Finding out about this, followers of Bionicle from all different countries flocked to New York for the Comic Con show to sate their sensory-emotional deprivation, as the desire to see, briefly touch, or even just smell fresh Lego plastic is what makes up the dreams of a true Bionicle fan"

This is both the funniest and most painfully truthful assessment of the Bionicle situation, Russian news is amazing :P

• Upvote 12

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

The ominous black mask on a lot of the promo art and such looks like the MOUP to me.

Just looks like Skull Spider eyes to me.

It's definitely not. There's a considerable gap between the "eyebrow" ridges, which is flat and level with the "nose". The Skull Spiders' eye sockets look much different. Here's the image in full size if anyone is interested. If it is supposed to be a Skull Spider mask, then it's from a considerably earlier stage of development than the actual Skull Spiders in the same image.

I'm not sure which mask it could represent. If it's supposed to be Makuta's face, probably the Mask of Control, just because I'm assuming he won't reclaim the Mask of Ultimate Power right away. But if the Mask of Ultimate Power does turn out to have its own consciousness (which would not be impossible), then it could be that mask after all.

It looked similar enough to me (circle on forehead, eyebrow shape), but you're right about the differences.

Could be the Mask of Control.  It makes sense that the Skull Spiders would be sort of its "offspring" given their mind-control power.  Or it could just be a stylized/pre-finalized Skull Spider.

TIME WILL TELL.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

0:52-1:10 -- "Finding out about this, followers of Bionicle from all different countries flocked to New York for the Comic Con show to sate their sensory-emotional deprivation, as the desire to see, briefly touch, or even just smell fresh Lego plastic is what makes up the dreams of a true Bionicle fan"

This is both the funniest and most painfully truthful assessment of the Bionicle situation, Russian news is amazing :P

Lol... that's certainly one extreme way to put it... xD

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

The thick eyebrows of the mask look similar to the eyebrows on the Mask of Control from the Legend animation, so I'm pretty sure it's that. However, considering the Mask of Control was shown on a pedestal with the other two, I wouldn't assume it's being worn by Makuta. In fact, I hope it's not, because I thought it was interesting to start with both brothers asleep, and I'd hate to lose that so quickly.

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 3

That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how I feel about some of the Expert powers. Making Lightning, Metal and Gravity subpowers of the main elements kind of prohibits them from appearing as main powers later, something that I'd really like to see. And I hope Lewa's Jungle element has only a slight relation to plants and more of a focus on Wind, to allow a dedicated Plantlife character later.

I can't say I like the idea of 15 elements if they're never going to be made into sets. I would much rather have them be highly advanced abilities of the six elemental powers. It would also be a neat way between distinguishing skill and abilities that the old storyline never seemed to portray. 

• Upvote 1

Now I'm wondering where Makuta is being kept. The Protectors/matoran didn't exactly value him as much as Ekimu so... is he still just lying around or what?

I'm sure they wouldn't be so dismissive. He's probably been entombed like Ekimu, either alongside him or separately.

Alternatively, I could see a 'Makuta mysteriously vanished without a trace' angle being used to give him more agency for when he returns - which, going by the press release, is going to happen this year, for better or worse.

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend