OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I do want The Protectors to have names, only because I don't want them to be generic.

Bionicle had a rich lore for everything from the Toa to the animals and that was what set it apart from the other lines. Bionicle sets are special because they are more than just pieces. They have their own personality and story behind them, something to give them purpose.   

• Upvote 7

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

I haven't seen anyone else make mention of this yet, but  it would appear the pegs on Gali's trident pegs actually serve a purpose for her adrenaline mode https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7575/15602709119_a4a864ae10_c.jpg

That is correct! It's really easy to notice once you build the set, too, because the instructions have you build her in Adrenalin Mode with both red pins on one flipper. Since Battle Mode requires re-arranging them, it's clear they put them both on one flipper for a reason.

The red pins are also used to connect the blades to her hands and the Protector of Water's Elemental Water Blaster in her "Powered Up" mode. Again, this requires moving them, because they have to be placed on the wide end of the blades rather than on the narrow end where they're placed in Battle Mode.

The mermaid form of Gali looks awesome, especially with the spikes on her lower legs. I really hope we see her like this sometime in the story.

What mermaid Gali?

Her shark fins in adrenalin mode can be joined together using the two red cross axles attached to the right fin. VBBN has a picture here from his Eurobricks review.

It's an awesome feature and I feel like it allows for some incredibly dynamic swimming poses!

The mermaid form of Gali looks awesome, especially with the spikes on her lower legs. I really hope we see her like this sometime in the story.

What mermaid Gali?

Her shark fins in adrenalin mode can be joined together using the two red cross axles attached to the right fin. VBBN has a picture here from his Eurobricks review.

It's an awesome feature and I feel like it allows for some incredibly dynamic swimming poses!

Oh that's nice, can we nickname her toa Ariel now?

It's time to move on.

Was "adrenaline" mode one of the panel pieces of information or was that during an interview?

I need to source that.

Its name was first mentioned at the panel, and it's also in Tahu's official set description (which uses the alternate spelling "adrenalin").

Oh that's nice, can we nickname her toa Ariel now?

Yes, and you can call her Power Harpoon a comb!

• Upvote 2

Urg no. I can just picture someone swapping the black on the legs out for lime, the chest for this, and the head for a human like one. 

Little Mermaid, Bionicle edition. 

If I ever get around to doing that, I'll have her singing 'Technologic' in stop-motion, which I'm hoping will turn out to be even scarier than the original music video. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

I doubt we'll see any vehicle sets; if anything, I think we're more likely to see machines akin to the Boxor or Exo-Toa first, where they're basically things designed to help with combat.

Although that has me thinking that I'd love to see a dragon in the new Bionicle (as long as it's really big, not like that stupid Hero Factory one)... Ekimu the Protector riding atop a fearsome dragon.

• Upvote 1

I doubt we'll see any vehicle sets; if anything, I think we're more likely to see machines akin to the Boxor or Exo-Toa first, where they're basically things designed to help with combat.

Although that has me thinking that I'd love to see a dragon in the new Bionicle (as long as it's really big, not like that stupid Hero Factory one)... Ekimu the Protector riding atop a fearsome dragon.

Many do consider the Boxor and Exo-Toa to be vehicles. I personally will welcome anything along those lines, as long as it looks/works good.

Dragons are pretty sweet, and I think it would fit this reboot than ever before.

*ahem* I think you mean that AMAZING Hero Factory one, which puts the Gukko from 2003 to shame in terms of play value and aesthetics...

But anyway, I don't know whether a dragon would be the best thing for the theme, at least not just yet. The theme's emphasis on myth and magic already places it a lot closer to Ninjago than Hero Factory ever was, and introducing a magical dragon steed for one of the central characters might push the similarities that one extra step too far.

To be honest, I almost think an actual vehicle would be more appropriate for a character like Ekimu anyway, seeing as his role in the story is that of a master craftsman. For a character like Ekimu, it'd have to be something sufficiently otherworldly and majestic, though. Perhaps something kind of like the Ussanui, or like Dragoon from Kirby Air Ride.

Frankly, I sort of think a set focusing on the scenario from the "Legend" video might be preferable to a set with just one of those characters and a steed/vehicle, though, seeing as the "Legend" video's scenario seems almost custom-tailored for potential play. You have Makuta and Ekimu, two characters with gear functions and hammers they could use to knock each other's masks off! I suppose if they were sold separately there'd still be some inherent play value, but I think selling them together could be a smart move (especially if it meant getting to sell two separate versions of Makuta: one in the "Ekimu & Makuta - Mask Makers" set with the Mask of Control, and another larger version sold separately with the Mask of Ultimate Power).

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

Frankly, I sort of think a set focusing on the scenario from the "Legend" video might be preferable to a set with just one of those characters and a steed/vehicle, though, seeing as the "Legend" video's scenario seems almost custom-tailored for potential play. You have Makuta and Ekimu, two characters with gear functions and hammers they could use to knock each other's masks off! I suppose if they were sold separately there'd still be some inherent play value, but I think selling them together could be a smart move (especially if it meant getting to sell two separate versions of Makuta: one in the "Ekimu & Makuta - Mask Makers" set with the Mask of Control, and another larger version sold separately with the Mask of Ultimate Power).

I'd love it if they did that, it's been awhile since we got sets with multiple figures.

It's time to move on.

I'd love it if they did that, it's been awhile since we got sets with multiple figures.

Well, there was Queen Beast vs. Furno, Evo, & Stormer which came out just this year... granted, that's slightly different because one of the two figures was a vehicle/battle machine, but as far as the actual building process is concerned I think it qualifies.

It's kind of hard to speculate on what the summer sets might include, though, because while Ekimu is practically a given (who ELSE would they include the Mask of Creaiton with?), and Makuta also very likely (he's already established to be relevant to the current story arc in the press release), anything beyond that is a mystery.

I wouldn't mind getting some more Rahi-like sets. Lord of Skull Spiders shows that the LEGO Group is not afraid to release a Technic-intensive creature set like in classic BIONICLE, but the set's play value doesn't quite measure up to the classic Rahi from 2001, which were designed with competitive play in mind.

• Upvote 2

Well, there was Queen Beast vs. Furno, Evo, & Stormer which came out just this year... granted, that's slightly different because one of the two figures was a vehicle/battle machine, but as far as the actual building process is concerned I think it qualifies.

It's kind of hard to speculate on what the summer sets might include, though, because while Ekimu is practically a given (who ELSE would they include the Mask of Creaiton with?), and Makuta also very likely (he's already established to be relevant to the current story arc in the press release), anything beyond that is a mystery.

I wouldn't mind getting some more Rahi-like sets. Lord of Skull Spiders shows that the LEGO Group is not afraid to release a Technic-intensive creature set like in classic BIONICLE, but the set's play value doesn't quite measure up to the classic Rahi from 2001, which were designed with competitive play in mind.

Personally I'd like some characters like the rahkshi, maybe they'll do something like that in 2016. 

It's time to move on.

Personally I'd like some characters like the rahkshi, maybe they'll do something like that in 2016.

I want more characters like The Piraka. They were just so cool and gangsta and I jumped every time Vezok or someone would glare at the screen. I loved the rubber spines and the dual weapons. Oh, and the light up eyes and glow in the dark teeth!

Enemies like the Rahkshi and Piraka could be cool, but I can see how saving those sorts of baddies for another year might be a good idea. If we get any more enemies for the Toa this year (besides Makuta), I think beasts or monsters like the Rahi might be the best fit. That way, this year's story can focus on establishing the personalities and powers of the heroes, and then next year, once those have been well-established, there will be room to introduce villains with more specific personalities or powers. This sort of strategy could also help the Toa's supernatural abilities like elemental powers and mask powers remain really special and unique throughout their debut year, and then a later year can "raise the stakes" by introducing a series of enemies with supernatural powers of their own.

• Upvote 3

That's actually a good idea. I just hope they don't get stuck with stupid names like Von Nebula or something.

You're right, we need stupid names like Avak back. :b

Really? I quite like most of the Bionicle names, even the somewhat silly ones. They sounded pretty cool.

And if not, they at least deserve points for creativity and originality. Von Nebula just sounds cheesy and stereotypical for a villain.

That's actually a good idea. I just hope they don't get stuck with stupid names like Von Nebula or something.

Really? I quite like most of the Bionicle names, even the somewhat silly ones. They sounded pretty cool.

And if not, they at least deserve points for creativity and originality. Von Nebula just sounds cheesy and stereotypical for a villain.

It's presumably SUPPOSED to sound like that. Hero Factory names in general tended to have a slightly cheesy superhero vibe — it's not like Von Nebula is any cheesier than "Doctor Doom". Nor is that kind of cheesy naming inherently worse than making up foreign-sounding names by mashing random sounds together, like BIONICLE tended to do in later years.

I don't expect to get any names quite like that in the new BIONICLE, and we've seen no reason to think we WILL get names like that, since the tone of the new BIONICLE and the names of the sets are radically different than the sort of names we got in Hero Factory. Some of the only new names we've gotten so far are Ekimu and Okoto, both of which sound even more authentic to the naming conventions of early BIONICLE sets than many later BIONICLE names (like Fenrakk, Zatth, Nynrah, and Mutran).

• Upvote 1

Nor is that kind of cheesy naming inherently worse than making up foreign-sounding names by mashing random sounds together, like BIONICLE tended to do in later years.

While this was certainly the case for some characters, there was a tendency, starting with Axonn and Brutaka, for names (primarily of villains) to be punny. 2007 gave us the Barraki, with their mostly animal-inspired names, as well the incredibly erudite names "Hydraxon" and "Spinax." 2008's villains were also primarily puns. "Icarax," "Krika," "Antroz," "Vultraz," "Gorast," etc. And let's not forget the Jetrax T6. 2009 gave us some Latinate-names, such as "Bara Magna," and "Malum," as well as names like "Iconox," Stronius," and "Scorpio.

If anything, Hero Factory was simply continuing the trend started by BIONICLE, albeit in a more obvious manner.

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

How about Lord of Skull Spiders?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

How about Lord of Skull Spiders?

I don't think there is anything that cheesy about that...

If he seemed to have a different role but... I'm fairly certain he's not going to be that sort of cartoon recurring villain of Adjectival names...

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Even then, It doesn't meet up with BIONICLEs standards.

Regular Visorak (each breed had a name) -> Big Visorak (Kahgarak)

Skull Spiders (each color seems to just be a Skull Spider, nothing more, nothing less, so far...) -> Big Skull Spider (Lord of Skull Spiders)

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Even then, It doesn't meet up with BIONICLEs standards.

Regular Visorak (each breed had a name) -> Big Visorak (Kahgarak)

Skull Spiders (each color seems to just be a Skull Spider, nothing more, nothing less, so far...) -> Big Skull Spider (Lord of Skull Spiders)

I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing. It's good simplification. There was no real need for so many names for something that doesn't need it. I understand maybe the want for more complex names for the skull spiders/LOSS, but to get a different name for each breed isn't useful to the story in most cases and confuses a lot of people. (I still don't know all the names for the Rhakshi, Vahki and Visorak after all these years.

• Upvote 1

None of the bionicle names I can recall is silly. Of course, none get to the epicness of the toa mata's names. I mean, come on! If you go over to a complete stranger who does not know anything about bionicle, and make him match names to elements, he will surely get them all right. Tahu even sounds like the sound a fire makes when it's started!