OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Expressions are one thing. But when you have Tahu using his mask as his face then we have problems. It's a MASK, not his face. What happened when the kid takes the mask off and sees the head? Then they'll get confused.

Except he's NOT using his mask as his face. You clearly failed to watch the video closely before jumping to wild conclusions. He actually takes off his red mask with one hand before attaching the gold mask to his face with the other.

The old CGI BIONICLE movies had multiple instances of a character putting their mask on over a mask they were already wearing. The new animations haven't yet had a single instance of that. So why are you blaming the animation style for a flaw that doesn't even affect it, and did affect the older CGI movies?

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Anyone see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_fmrK6CJTY

It's a "hidden" (not so hidden anymore) trailer that another group of Bionicle Fans found on Bionicle.com within the last few days. I'll say what they said, "if you have any doubt about the new Bionicle's story/tone/presentation, this video should hopefully change your mind.

Me personally, the music is amazing (as a musician, I love that), but also I really like the animation style; it really feels like The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra (at least it does to me).

Check it out!

I left for quite a few months after bionicle's reveal, but now I'm back and more HYPED after this vid. The music is awesome btw, reminds me of gravity hurts.

HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHTPWJHRWORHAEIJH28EDO2389H9D2H9FV,XMCKMSEPF;23 ,5RT,L;'4W3,3L4

• Upvote 3

Expressions are one thing. But when you have Tahu using his mask as his face then we have problems. It's a MASK, not his face. What happened when the kid takes the mask off and sees the head? Then they'll get confused.

I don't think you're giving kids enough credit. They're not stupid, plus your statement is wildly inaccurate as already proven above with the image of him swapping the masks in the video. Not to mention how many times is "mask" referenced in the promo material so far? A LOT and I don't doubt we will see/hear that word mentioned more times than anyone cares to count, I seriously doubt any confusion will ever arise as to whether or not the mask on his face is in fact a mask. To hammer the point home, they are really pushing the "knock off the masks" gimmick this time around.

• Upvote 2

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

It's not really confusing at all. Look at Mask of Light, where the toa's masks became a part of their faces. Masks have been portrayed as a toa's face many many times, because creating a new head mold for every face to differentiate them is odd and wasteful. Masks are just portrayed as faces in Bionicle to make things easier. The mask isn't Tahu's face, but it can be used to show his expressions a bit, mostly with his eyes. It's a common cartoon technique and I haven't seen/heard kids or anyone complaining about it. In cartoons, form isn't definite or solid, and can change to match needs.

EDIT: I don't know if anything I even said makes sense but I'm tired, so I'm just gonna go with it. If there are any questions about it, I'll clarify...

Edited by Banana Gunz

Oh ya, well I played a rated M game without my parental permission! :P

(alright let's get back to the bionicle topic now)

Speaking of videogames, I managed to get Wolfenstein: The New Order on PS3 for $20 on Black Friday. Haven't played it yet due to a college paper I've gotta make a good grade on though.

To veer the conversation back on topic, does anyone else want to see new cgi videos for Bionicle? The new animation style is ok, but it's still growing on me. I initially was not at all happy with it. I really, really liked the cgi videos from gen1. I really hope that every promotional video isn't in the cartoon-y format of this new animation style. I don't mind some of it in the new format but I do NOT want it to be in every promotional video. If we ever get a tv show I would want it to be cgi like Ninjago and Legends of Chima is, not mixel-onicle.

Yes, I'd like to see Ghost come back and do the CGI. They always did a jam-up job. Heck, I'd like to see them do a full-blown movie.

To veer the conversation back on topic, does anyone else want to see new cgi videos for Bionicle? The new animation style is ok, but it's still growing on me. I initially was not at all happy with it. I really, really liked the cgi videos from gen1. I really hope that every promotional video isn't in the cartoon-y format of this new animation style. I don't mind some of it in the new format but I do NOT want it to be in every promotional video. If we ever get a tv show I would want it to be cgi like Ninjago and Legends of Chima is, not mixel-onicle.

Yes, I'd like to see Ghost come back and do the CGI. They always did a jam-up job. Heck, I'd like to see them do a full-blown movie.

I fully expect CGI for the actual TV commercials. More specifically, a combination of CGI animation and live-action videography, like some classic BIONICLE TV commercials use. A more stylized look like the new webisodes wouldn't really be that effective for a toy commercial. You want to give a realistic look at the toy and its play features. Otherwise kids will think the ad is for a cartoon and not a toy, and that kind of confusion would make the ad less effective.

Back in 2002, there were two different 30-second TV spots for the Toa Nuva sets. One was entirely CGI and showed all six Toa Nuva in action scenes in their respective environments. The other was about 50% live-action and gave a better look at how the sets were built. It'd be interesting to see a similar variety of ads for the new BIONICLE sets: some more artsy and aimed at establishing the tone, others more focused on showcasing the toys themselves.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of commercials, if they don't bring back the guy who voiced the old ones, I'll cry. I still remember the good 'ol days... "NEW from Bionicle!"

Who needs Morgan Freeman when you've got him? 

Better yet, what if we combine? They could both do the commercials, or we could even combine them into a single living organism with the most majestic voice in the universe. Solving world hunger? Pssht, this is what's worth the science.

EDIT: Just realized I reached 911 posts, I'm gonna quickly post somewhere... never forget.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 2

I'm thinking about grabbing the Protector of Water. Should I just get all six? I mean, I don't want to feel 'incomplete'.

I'm getting all thirteen of the sets. I've already saved up enough money, plus some extras for MOCing purposes. 

Speaking of commercials, if they don't bring back the guy who voiced the old ones, I'll cry. I still remember the good 'ol days... "NEW from Bionicle!"

Who needs Morgan Freeman when you've got him? 

Better yet, what if we combine? They could both do the commercials, or we could even combine them into a single living organism with the most majestic voice in the universe. Solving world hunger? Pssht, this is what's worth the science.

EDIT: Just realized I reached 911 posts, I'm gonna quickly post somewhere... never forget.

I can hook you up with an energized protodermis dealer. I've got plenty of connections. 

LET THE FUSIONS BEGIN! 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

Everyone, Bionicle has returned to Lego.com's legalese at the bottom of the page.

LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Minifigure, DUPLO, LEGENDS OF CHIMA, NINJAGO, BIONICLE, MINDSTORMS and MIXELS are trademarks and/or copyrights of the LEGO Group.
©2014 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.

Let us rejoice now that we know BIONICLE is a trademark and/or copyright of the Lego Group.

• Upvote 5

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Speaking of videogames, I managed to get Wolfenstein: The New Order on PS3 for $20 on Black Friday. Haven't played it yet due to a college paper I've gotta make a good grade on though.

Hey, I just grabbed it on the Xbox 360 as well!

Anyway, I'm definitely excited by this new trailer. As some have said, it has a Legend of Korra feel to it, and I'm happy with that.

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Glad energized protodermis was mentioned. I wonder if we'll see it in the new story...or fusions in general for that matter. I'm positive we'll see transformations, but how they'll handled is what's going to be interesting, especially if EP isn't present.

Maybe... maybe not. Protodermis and its many forms were definitely one of the more convoluted parts of G1 but if they limit it to just Energized Protodermis it could be possible. I always thought Protodermis was super synonymous with Bionicle so I wouldn't mind.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Hey, I just grabbed it on the Xbox 360 as well!

Anyway, I'm definitely excited by this new trailer. As some have said, it has a Legend of Korra feel to it, and I'm happy with that.

You gonna review it on your youtube channel? 

I'd like to see a new Bionicle game that takes advantage of the power of the new consoles...something similar to BioShock(which is great!) or Wolfenstein(which I hear is great, will find out for myself soon enough) would be nice.

I'd like to see a new Bionicle game that takes advantage of the power of the new consoles...something similar to BioShock(which is great!) or Wolfenstein(which I hear is great, will find out for myself soon enough) would be nice.

Bionicle FPS? Ehhh... I'd rather have an action/adventure game, something either open-world or linear with excellent combat that doesn't rely on shooty-shooty (though hack-and-slash might be okay for Bionicle game). 

Though yes, I would love another full-fledged Bionicle video game.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Bionicle FPS? Ehhh... I'd rather have an action/adventure game, something either open-world or linear with excellent combat that doesn't rely on shooty-shooty (though hack-and-slash might be okay for Bionicle game). 

-NotS

I'd actually love an online or mobile adventure game that is NOT combat-intensive. But that's partly because of the fact that that's just the type of game I like to play. Mata Nui Online Game, the Professor Layton series, and the Ace Attorney series are all good examples of the games I enjoy — games that tell an interesting character-driven story, but depend more on observation and decision-making than on strategy or split-second reaction time.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if whatever games we get tend to be more action-based than those examples I prefer. After all, BIONICLE sets are action figures and they are designed to do battle. A game can be fun and fit the BIONICLE universe without focusing on that aspect, but it might not deliver a full, well-rounded BIONICLE gaming experience.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Anyone here seen the french version of episode 1 yet?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

-NotS

I'd actually love an online or mobile adventure game that is NOT combat-intensive. But that's partly because of the fact that that's just the type of game I like to play. Mata Nui Online Game, the Professor Layton series, and the Ace Attorney series are all good examples of the games I enjoy — games that tell an interesting character-driven story, but depend more on observation and decision-making than on strategy or split-second reaction time.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if whatever games we get tend to be more action-based than those examples I prefer. After all, BIONICLE sets are action figures and they are designed to do battle. A game can be fun and fit the BIONICLE universe without focusing on that aspect, but it might not deliver a full, well-rounded BIONICLE gaming experience.

I'd want something similar to the Lego games. Explore Okoto, make a custom Toa, fight off skull spiders as the LoSS if you so please... Tahu could have fire beams, Lewa could fly, Gali could swim, Pohatu could be able to run faster on a sandstorm, Onua could dig and smash stuff like a bigfig, Kopaka could have a freeze beam, etc, etc.

Anyone here seen the french version of episode 1 yet?

I wish :P

I'd want something similar to the Lego games. Explore Okoto, make a custom Toa, fight off skull spiders as the LoSS if you so please... Tahu could have fire beams, Lewa could fly, Gali could swim, Pohatu could be able to run faster on a sandstorm, Onua could dig and smash stuff like a bigfig, Kopaka could have a freeze beam, etc, etc.

I suppose I could enjoy something like that to some extent. After all, I really enjoyed the LEGO Hero Factory Breakout online game, which sort of gave a taste of what something like that could be on a lower budget.

But while the LEGO games tend to offer a sort of low-stress gameplay that I love, they're also not very cerebral. At least, from my experience — I haven't played the more recent LEGO games that tell original stories like LEGO City Undercover or LEGO Batman 2, but I gather that most of their storytelling is constrained to the cutscenes. I'd prefer a BIONICLE game to be more story– and character-driven.

Of course, it's definitely possible to have a story-driven action game. I have never played it myself (and don't know whether I'd enjoy it, since as I said, I'm not a huge fan of action games), but I've loved watching my brother play Kid Icarus: Uprising. And I know a lot of other games similarly use dialogue during action sequences to tell a story. So maybe a game like that could be engaging. My main concern is that an action game would turn out like BIONICLE Heroes, with little to no storytelling or characterization.

This isn't necessarily related to anything, but one of these days, possibly tomorrow, I'm going to Toys R Us to ask if they have any idea when to expect a shipment of the new Bionicle sets. Trust me, you're much more likely to get a straight answer if you go there in person. Heck, if you run into the manager, even better! If they DO have a toy in stock but not on the actual shelves, yet, if you ask nicely enough, they'll even go out back and grab it for you.

• Upvote 5

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

While I would love a game like that as well, as you have said Bionicle is definitely action-based and I feel like a game would need action to really sell that point. And if it would have action, then I would like it to be very refined (like Platinum Games refined).

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

-NotS

BioShock is a mix of action/adventure nd FPS. It was fairly story-driven and character-driven. Also, shooting wasn't the only form of combat. Some of the plasmids gives you very Toa-esque powers. Wasn't even all about combat, there were plenty of moments that required problem solving and observation and whatnot. Plus the environments and art styles are fantastic. BioShock Infinite was fantastic as well. The entire trilogy had a lot of though put into it, and i'd love to see that same level of thought put into a Bionicle game. I hear Wolfenstein is very story-driven and character-driven as well, but I can't yet comment much on that.

BioShock is a mix of action/adventure nd FPS. It was fairly story-driven and character-driven. Also, shooting wasn't the only form of combat. Some of the plasmids gives you very Toa-esque powers. Wasn't even all about combat, there were plenty of moments that required problem solving and observation and whatnot. Plus the environments and art styles are fantastic. BioShock Infinite was fantastic as well. The entire trilogy had a lot of though put into it, and i'd love to see that same level of thought put into a Bionicle game. I hear Wolfenstein is very story-driven and character-driven as well, but I can't yet comment much on that.

Oh I love BioShock, and I totally agree, but I think first person view isn't the best view for a Bionicle game. Third person seems like a much better choice, since Bionicle has so much emphasis on its aesthetic for the main characters.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

While I would love a game like that as well, as you have said Bionicle is definitely action-based and I feel like a game would need action to really sell that point. And if it would have action, then I would like it to be very refined (like Platinum Games refined).

-NotS

I think something like the HF Breakout game could be good for Okoto - you start in the Underground Mountain place and visit each of the Regions of Okoto. But I'm biased, because I enjoyed the HF breakout game. But I would want the game to be more story driven - maybe stories for each region to claim the golden masks and then a big fight with all six Toa for the Mask of Creation?

From what I understand of BioShock though, I think it would be good for a legit intro. You start as a character who is crashing down from the sky...

-NotS

I think something like the HF Breakout game could be good for Okoto - you start in the Underground Mountain place and visit each of the Regions of Okoto. But I'm biased, because I enjoyed the HF breakout game. But I would want the game to be more story driven - maybe stories for each region to claim the golden masks and then a big fight with all six Toa for the Mask of Creation?

From what I understand of BioShock though, I think it would be good for a legit intro. You start as a character who is crashing down from the sky...

There were a lot of problems with Hero Factory, but that Breakout Game was awesome.

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

Anyone else think a Majora's Mask style game would have been amazing for Bionicle G1?

Eh. Maybe something between Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask?

As long as it doesn't have an obnoxious saving mechanic. But I reckon Bionicle could work with pretty much any sort of Zelda game (exempting CD-i and pre OoT games for [hopefully] obvious reasons [although different ones!]) just add a few more puzzles please :3

I really think it would need to be more along the lines of action/adventure/mystery/puzzle, but given the Protectors I would certainly expect it to have shooter stuff :P

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

MNOLG has plenty of action; its trick is to keep it largely to cutscenes.

Do you guys think Polybag sets are possible for the reboot? The figures seem to be on a larger scale and given the limited pieces in polybags we'd have really awkward dwarf characters or something. But I think it would be cool to have some sort of enhanced skull spider in between the little ones and the LoSS.

A lot of polybag sets in the Hero Factory theme have been more of accessory packs, with weapons or armor. So that sort of thing could probably work in the new BIONICLE too. Maybe it could even include those awesome new blasters from the Protectors built into a new style of weapon!

You might even be able to fit a decent Protector-sized figure into a polybag set, as long as it DIDN'T include a complex weapon or Skull Spider like the actual Protector sets do. After all, the weapons of some of the Protectors make up nearly half of their piece counts. So if you released a villager with a simpler one- or two-piece weapon, it could maybe work as a polybag set.

• Upvote 3

So, something that's been on my mind for awhile now: do you guys think we'll see the term "biomechanical" being used to describe the new BIONICLE characters? Or will Lego make things "simpler" for kids and just keep them as robots? So far, we haven't really had anything to indicate them being biomechanical... and, on a side note, the Skull Spiders definitely look organic to me, though that's just a personal opinion. What do you guys think?

Do you guys think Polybag sets are possible for the reboot? The figures seem to be on a larger scale and given the limited pieces in polybags we'd have really awkward dwarf characters or something. But I think it would be cool to have some sort of enhanced skull spider in between the little ones and the LoSS.

A lot of polybag sets in the Hero Factory theme have been more of accessory packs, with weapons or armor. So that sort of thing could probably work in the new BIONICLE too. Maybe it could even include those awesome new blasters from the Protectors built into a new style of weapon!

You might even be able to fit a decent Protector-sized figure into a polybag set, as long as it DIDN'T include a complex weapon or Skull Spider like the actual Protector sets do. After all, the weapons of some of the Protectors make up nearly half of their piece counts. So if you released a villager with a simpler one- or two-piece weapon, it could maybe work as a polybag set.

I sure hope this happens Aanchir! I would love to get that in a polybag!

So, something that's been on my mind for awhile now: do you guys think we'll see the term "biomechanical" being used to describe the new BIONICLE characters? Or will Lego make things "simpler" for kids and just keep them as robots? So far, we haven't really had anything to indicate them being biomechanical... and, on a side note, the Skull Spiders definitely look organic to me, though that's just a personal opinion. What do you guys think?

Depends on how long it is before the LEGO Group even needs to describe them in that sense at all. The word "biomechanical" didn't appear a whole lot in the early years of BIONICLE, but it didn't call them robots either. It just didn't go out of its way to describe just WHAT their physical makeup was.
  • Upvote 3

Depends on how long it is before the LEGO Group even needs to describe them in that sense at all. The word "biomechanical" didn't appear a whole lot in the early years of BIONICLE, but it didn't call them robots either. It just didn't go out of its way to describe just WHAT their physical makeup was.

Ah, good point - something I forgot to ask about in my previous question.