OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Reading all these Best Set Poll threads reminds me of the intricacy of Titan sets. Do you think Bionicle can pull it off again with CCBS? The HF Titan sets aren't really that exciting in build style (no leg pistons!!!).

Witch Doctor had leg pistons. Not that I think that's a really "exciting" design choice. It's something that was featured in sets for support, not just as a stylistic decisions. And I don't entirely think they present a huge benefit to sets that don't need that kind of support. Often they just end up limiting a set's articulation and ability to sit down on certain kinds of surfaces.

There's definitely no question about large, intricate "titan" sets being possible with CCBS, it's just a matter of whether the LEGO Group wants to release sets like that, which depends in turn on whether they think characters of that size will sell. Complexity is pretty much a non-issue, considering that Lord of Skull Spiders is almost entirely Technic-based, showing the LEGO Group isn't going to limit themselves to simple, snap-together builds by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 5

That is a cool page. Its interesting seeing Makuta being called 'The Mask Hoarder.' I guess that title does fit him since he's going after the Mask of Creation. :P

"Makuta has a fondness for...masks." -Vakama, Bionicle #6 Maze of Shadows

He had a vision. :P

• Upvote 8

Reading all these Best Set Poll threads reminds me of the intricacy of Titan sets. Do you think Bionicle can pull it off again with CCBS? The HF Titan sets aren't really that exciting in build style (no leg pistons!!!).

Witch Doctor had leg pistons. Not that I think that's a really "exciting" design choice. It's something that was featured in sets for support, not just as a stylistic decisions. And I don't entirely think they present a huge benefit to sets that don't need that kind of support. Often they just end up limiting a set's articulation and ability to sit down on certain kinds of surfaces.

There's definitely no question about large, intricate "titan" sets being possible with CCBS, it's just a matter of whether the LEGO Group wants to release sets like that, which depends in turn on whether they think characters of that size will sell. Complexity is pretty much a non-issue, considering that Lord of Skull Spiders is almost entirely Technic-based, showing the LEGO Group isn't going to limit themselves to simple, snap-together builds by any stretch of the imagination.

LoSS is hardly a complex set compared to the 2006/7 Titans, which are leading in the popularity polls atm. 2008 onwards focused too much on having large vehicle sets which don't have too much playability outside of rolling around and often take up much larger spaces than large figures. The Witch Doctor is actually a really amazing build, in part that they created unique CCBS attachment points with those single ball pieces. But the newer box sets like Queen Beast are lacking.

Edited by bioniclepluslotr
  • Upvote 1

That is a cool page. Its interesting seeing Makuta being called 'The Mask Hoarder.' I guess that title does fit him since he's going after the Mask of Creation. :P

"Makuta has a fondness for...masks." -Vakama, Bionicle #6 Maze of Shadows

He had a vision. :P

Those weren't Visorak Onewa saw... :P 

• Upvote 3

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Those weren't Visorak Onewa saw... :P

black one(s)

blue ones

brown ones

four legs

green ones

overly large fangs/pincers (we)(I don't think chelicerae is really the corect word, as I'm not sure they are analogous, as at least with Visorak they have distinct 'teeth', but IDK?)

red ones (comic)

single head&body

swarms of them

white/silver ones

He can't really be blamed :P

Although as (at least one instance on reddit) Wild Mass Guessing: Slizers  G2  G1

His visions were of the past! So maybe it only came through in black & white :P

LoSS is hardly a complex set compared to the 2006/7 Titans, which are leading in the popularity polls atm. 2008 onwards focused too much on having large vehicle sets which don't have too much playability outside of rolling around and often take up much larger spaces than large figures. The Witch Doctor is actually a really amazing build, in part that they created unique CCBS attachment points with those single ball pieces. But the newer box sets like Queen Beast are lacking.

Whilst LoSS isn't really a Titan, it'll be interesting to see if they try and do something like Nidhiki again, he was pretty technic intensive but blended it with a few different Bionicle (origin / exclusive) pieces; although he doesn't seem to be that popular, but as he (Nidhiki) was $20US for 170 pieces in 2004, & LoSS is $15US for 145 pieces next year I think this is comparable.

But as the top of the 2006 poll is at the moment: Brutaka ($20US for 193 pieces, not much technic); & the 2007 poll: Maxilos and Spinax ($30US, 256 pieces), followed shortly by Nocturn ($15US, 116 pieces), followed closely by Hydraxon ($20US, 165 pieces) & Toa Jaller Mahri ($10US, 68 pieces); none of those really have that much Technic I think. & well...

None of of these (really) use CCBS, but I think we can say that some of those Titans are more intricate that LoSS?

So unless we start counting the $20 Toa of G2... I think we can say Lord of Skull Spiders is reasonably intricate, but is it that comparable to any of those Titans (although those polls aren't really that representative; there aren't that many votes on either of them). I think LoSS is a good direction; but precisely were it will take us is hard to say I think?

So I sincerely hop they don't go the Queen Beast route...

Edited by Iblis
  • Upvote 6

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

"Makuta the mask hoarder", I smell a summer set.

I smell 'Protectors' with different Masks in the future⋯

Well if the protectors are going to make a comeback in 2016 then I think that would be a cool idea, though I do wonder if lego gave them recoloured masks to save money on new molds. 

I strongly suspect to save money was up there, even though they have 3 years planned out it makes sense to me for the to start out kinda careful, & it just seems like the Mask Hoarder + Skull Spiders is a great way to justify a distinct lack of Masks whilst opening up the potential for many more, without dedicating themselves to that either.

Generally I feel it's more to do with the cost, as the Masks the Protectors wear were made by Ekimu, so I would have thought they would have been more inclined to make them different, but there could be good reasons for that, but they don't seem to jump out the same way (to me). *shrugs*

I think Mask Hoarder is a pretty cool epithet :3

Does anyone have any idea how much dual colours cost production wise compared to single colour?

• Upvote 1

Lord of Skull Spiders is plenty complex for its size and price point — it's a $15 set with nearly 150 pieces, most of which are Technic. A somewhat comparable set by piece count in classic BIONICLE would be the Boxor or Gukko, sans pilot — and truly, the Gukko is no more complex on a functional level. If the LEGO Group released a $20–$35 set with that level of intricacy (Witch Doctor being just one example), I think it could easily measure up to some of the more complex BIONICLE titans, vehicles, and creatures.

• Upvote 5

Now I'm imagining Makuta in flannel pajama bottoms wading through boxes and boxes of masks in various states of disrepair, occasionally pulling one out to explain the story behind it.

"Okay yeah so, I was at a seminar once right? and they were doing this thing where all the plates looked like masks. A one-and-done sort of thing, you know? Anyway, I asked and I managed to pull like five of these boxes back home because they were just gonna toss 'em anyway?"

Ekimu isn't in a deep sleep, he's trapped under 9 crates of Hunas somewhere and hasn't been seen since.

• Upvote 16

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

The "Mask-Hoarder" appellation has a very Anglo-Saxon sound to it. I think it would be interesting to see BIONICLE incorporate Old English mythology and culture, as long as it doesn't simply ape Tolkien. Come to think of it, the significance of masks in BIONICLE is not unlike that of rings in Anglo-Saxon lore. We've even got a corrupting mask of ultimate power this time round...

• Upvote 5

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

If anybody's interested, my review of the new Lewa and Gali sets is now live on The New Elementary!

Great reviews! My only recommendation would be to make the part ID's and such smaller or placed else where. They interfere a little with the rest of the paragraph and make it harder to read. But generally, a real nice review!

Personally, I'm not a fan of LOSS. As complex as it may be for a set of it's size, it still seems pretty lack luster in comparison to the other sets. The function looks off and doesn't work well, the build is kinda gappy and awkward (not very spider-like either) and just not very attractive design-wise for me. Lego could've done a lot better with this set, and should've considering it's the only real villain set we've gotten this year.

"The Mask Hoarder" gives a very interesting tone to Makuta and makes him feel more evil/crazy. I imagine him going insane from his jealousy of Ekimu and wanting all the masks he could ever get his hands on, him having a lair filled will loose masks would be an awesome image.

• Upvote 1

i wonder if maybe "Mask Hoarder" will appear as a subtitle on the eventual Makuta set, similar to the Toa's "Master of [blank]" subtitle. Like, the set would be called "Makuta: the Mask Hoarder", which would even serve to contrast if an eventual Ekimu set was named "Ekimu: the Mask Maker".

That would be very cool!

• Upvote 2

i wonder if maybe "Mask Hoarder" will appear as a subtitle on the eventual Makuta set, similar to the Toa's "Master of [blank]" subtitle. Like, the set would be called "Makuta: the Mask Hoarder", which would even serve to contrast if an eventual Ekimu set was named "Ekimu: the Mask Maker".

And it suddenly all makse sense...

~|ET|~

• Upvote 1

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I can just imagine a bunch of green villager masks in Makuta's lair. Switch to Makuta, and he is seen laughing maniacally while all of the Jungle villagers are running around screaming, smacking right into trees and banging into each other (due to not seeing through the Skull Spiders stuck to their faces). When Lewa comes to save everybody, he is knocked to the ground and gets eaten alive by those same Skull Spiders... Kingdom of the Crystal Skull red ant style.

All of the villagers are saved, but Lewa is done for. Poor Lewa.

If anybody's interested, my review of the new Lewa and Gali sets is now live on The New Elementary!

Wonderful! Edited by Toa Green Ninja
  • Upvote 3

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

I can just imagine a bunch of green villager masks in Makuta's lair. Switch to Makuta, and he is seen laughing maniacally while all of the Jungle villagers are running around screaming, smacking right into trees and banging into each other (due to not seeing through the Skull Spiders stuck to their faces). When Lewa comes to save everybody, he is knocked to the ground and gets eaten alive by those same Skull Spiders... Kingdom of the Crystal Skull red ant style.

All of the villagers are saved, but Lewa is done for. Poor Lewa.

Wonderful!

Just another day for the Toa of Air Master of Jungle.

• Upvote 2

I hope a Krana dosnt get to him this time ;)

Well, duh - it's going to be a Skull Spider :P

And Onua will have to be there, again. That Lewa fellow will never fail to get taken over by evil. Whether it be infected mask, krana, or skull spider, there will always be something nutty to latch onto his face.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 2

And Onua will have to be there, again. That Lewa fellow will never fail to get taken over by evil. Whether it be infected mask, krana, or skull spider, there will always be something nutty to latch onto his face.

Except that now Onua has a hammer to bash the thing from his face with.

Wait... not a good choice, is it?

• Upvote 1

Worry not--Onua will just fall on Lewa's face! Problem solved.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

Worry not--Onua will just fall on Lewa's face! Problem solved.

But wait! Remember, with this new canon Onua is very sleepy, so after he falls on Lewa's face he'll probably forget about it and fall asleep! Poor Lewa. I guess he'll be laying there for a while...

It's obviously Onua's destiny to invent the game of golf.

"Lewa, don't panic! Just lie on your side on the ground, facing me, and everything will be alright!"

*Grasps hammer upside down, aims at Lewa's Skull Spider*

"Get ready!"

Onua, a golfer? That guy looks more like a football player than anything.

But hey, who am I kidding; who in the bloody right mind would give up the chance to see an Onua Golf game?

• Upvote 4

It's obviously Onua's destiny to invent the game of golf.

"Lewa, don't panic! Just lie on your side on the ground, facing me, and everything will be alright!"

*Grasps hammer upside down, aims at Lewa's Skull Spider*

"Get ready!"

Onua, a golfer? That guy looks more like a football player than anything.

But hey, who am I kidding; who in the bloody right mind would give up the chance to see an Onua Golf game?

That's totally our next online game from TLG.

Wait? Onuas sleepy? What?

http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/characters/onua-d97db9bcfa2a41e4a6a1e130add7a229

• Upvote 1

Wait? Onuas sleepy? What?

"Onua is grounded and wise. He likes to spend his time alone meditating under the stars. Like an underground cave, receptive and silent. And... Snoring! Though Onua rarely says a word, the other heroes have come to respect this sleepy giant. They know that when he speaks, his crude voice caries guidance and wisdom."- Bionicle.com Onua character bio.

EDIT: Sorta Kapura'd dang it!

Anyway, while we've got Onua Golf I think we need Pohatu Soccer and Gali Swimming: Michael Phelps Edition.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 5

Thankfully he escaped... the evil brains.

• Upvote 4

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Thankfully he escaped... the evil brains.

Correct... but instead, we had a certain other fun-loving hero get taken over *coughSurgecough*

So... all the Toa have odd character quirks now?

Also, every time I see new Onua, I think of 07 movie Ironhide.

I think so.

Gali is bad at telling jokes, Onua is sleepy, Tahu is forgetful, Kopaka is clumsy, Pohatu is afraid of the dark, and I guess Lewa doesn't change much but he has "foolhardy manners".

• Upvote 2