Bionicle fandom name

Willess12

I like Bonklers (Boniclers?)

-NotS

"Bioniclers" actually isn't the worst. It's somewhat corny but clearly identifies you as a fan of Bionicle, and echoes the common name for Lego Space builders ("Spacers"). And it sort of combines the vague and confusing but fan-preferred "Chroniclers" with the theme name.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I like Bonklers (Boniclers?)

-NotS

"Bioniclers" actually isn't the worst. It's somewhat corny but clearly identifies you as a fan of Bionicle, and echoes the common name for Lego Space builders ("Spacers"). And it sort of combines the vague and confusing but fan-preferred "Chroniclers" with the theme name.

Nah brah it has to have Bonkles somewhere

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

"Bionicult"

I like that actually alternatively biotaku.

YES, Biotaku.

how about maybe not aligning ourselves with the otaku mindset in any way, shape, or form

Yeah, it's not like we're all nerds who are obsessed with plastic action figures or anything.

Honestly one of the main reasons I don't expect any fandom name to catch on at any point is that there are far too many fans who feel too self-important to acknowledge how nerdy and ridiculous the Bionicle fandom already is. A fandom name wouldn't be responsible for that—at worst, it'd make it more identifiable to outsiders.

• Upvote 4

how about maybe not aligning ourselves with the otaku mindset in any way, shape, or form

Yeah, it's not like we're all nerds who are obsessed with plastic action figures or anything.

Honestly one of the main reasons I don't expect any fandom name to catch on at any point is that there are far too many fans who feel too self-important to acknowledge how nerdy and ridiculous the Bionicle fandom already is. A fandom name wouldn't be responsible for that—at worst, it'd make it more identifiable to outsiders.

Otaku is not a pleasant thing to call yourself, especially not where the term originates. It's not "big ol' nerd for plastic toys and stuff", it's "social pariah who is a complete shut in and wastes their life on plastic toys and stuff" and they can have violence enacted against them if they do go outside, considering how much they clash with the values of the overall national culture. It's not something you want to identify as, and it's definitely not a badge of honor to wear proudly. In western countries people may identify themselves as otaku because they don't know the origin of the term and its meaning has been skewed in its use here, and although it carries a lot less weight it's still not something everyone wants to be known as. Being a fan of Bionicle does not make someone any sort of otaku and I strongly believe it's a misuse of the term in any context, be it the original or the carefree western label, and it's also not something folks should be forced to identify with and have to have their fandom associated with. If Biotaku became the big popular name for the fandom, by the stars, I would seriously consider going out of my way so that nobody knew I liked Bionicle as much as I do, 'cause by then it wouldn't matter if I call myself a Biotaku or not because everyone will already make assumptions. 

Bionicle isn't "nerdy" by nature, it's just a childrens' toy line with a fantasy story. How one chooses to enjoy it can definitely go into nerdy territory, and I call myself a big nerd for it all the time, but it in no way should condemn someone to being known as Lego Otaku whether they or agree with the term or not, especially 'cause the name would imply a level of obsession that even the most obsessed of us aren't at.

It may sound to you like folks are just too "self-important" to want to be called a nerd, but really it's just that nobody wants to have their name tarnished and have themselves associated with being a disgrace and an outcast. It's more self-preservation than self-importance. Even huge nerds like me who acknowledge and embrace how much time and money I waste on plastic construction toys, comics, manga, memorabilia, etc. want nothing to do with the word "otaku", and it's for a very, very good reason. 

• Upvote 3

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Otaku is not a pleasant thing to call yourself, especially not where the term originates. It's not "big ol' nerd for plastic toys and stuff", it's "social pariah who is a complete shut in and wastes their life on plastic toys and stuff" and they can have violence enacted against them if they do go outside, considering how much they clash with the values of the overall national culture. It's not something you want to identify as, and it's definitely not a badge of honor to wear proudly. In western countries people may identify themselves as otaku because they don't know the origin of the term and its meaning has been skewed in its use here, and although it carries a lot less weight it's still not something everyone wants to be known as. Being a fan of Bionicle does not make someone any sort of otaku and I strongly believe it's a misuse of the term in any context, be it the original or the carefree western label, and it's also not something folks should be forced to identify with and have to have their fandom associated with. If Biotaku became the big popular name for the fandom, by the stars, I would seriously consider going out of my way so that nobody knew I liked Bionicle as much as I do, 'cause by then it wouldn't matter if I call myself a Biotaku or not because everyone will already make assumptions. 

Bionicle isn't "nerdy" by nature, it's just a childrens' toy line with a fantasy story. How one chooses to enjoy it can definitely go into nerdy territory, and I call myself a big nerd for it all the time, but it in no way should condemn someone to being known as Lego Otaku whether they or agree with the term or not, especially 'cause the name would imply a level of obsession that even the most obsessed of us aren't at.

It may sound to you like folks are just too "self-important" to want to be called a nerd, but really it's just that nobody wants to have their name tarnished and have themselves associated with being a disgrace and an outcast. It's more self-preservation than self-importance. Even huge nerds like me who acknowledge and embrace how much time and money I waste on plastic construction toys, comics, manga, memorabilia, etc. want nothing to do with the word "otaku", and it's for a very, very good reason.

You have a point, although I would argue that the word has been reclaimed to an extent, especially outside of Japan where it has never had quite the same connotations. But I'm not talking just about this. One member said "Kolhii Head" was a poor choice because it was an insult, despite being a playful insult applied endearingly by a friend to a fan-favorite character. And the most popular ones I've seen are ones which have no playfulness to them at all; things like Turaga (which conveys a sense of wisdom and authority far beyond the Bionicle fans I see on a day-to-day basis, geeking out over the hype for the theme's return) or Chroniclers (which still takes a singular, authoritative profession related to the story and applies it generally to a diverse fandom which likes the theme for a variety of different reasons).

Don't get me wrong—I'm no more fond of the propositions like "Bonklers" or the like, which sound spammy and infantile and as such will never be adopted by many fans. But both extremes rankle me: the notion that Bionicle is a totally serious interest with no room for jokes or self-deprecation, or the notion that being a Bionicle fan is a thing to be mocked and that we should derive our group identity from the lowest common denominator of fans. I guess that just proves that I'm no less particular about a group name than anyone else, which is part of why I've basically given up hope of the fandom ever being able to identify by a single label.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

I'm fine with any name that isn't a variation on what many people consider an insult (otaku, not kohlii head, which I think is very cute) because it just gives all of us a bad rep and sounds very misleading. Biotaku sounds like something people who don't like the fandom would call us as a mockery, not an affectionate thing to call eachother. It's just asking for trouble, I think. Everything else is a matter of taste, I personally don't mind any of the other names suggested, whether they were serious or jokey and or inside jokes that out of fandom folks don't get. Kohlii Head is growing on me, actually :P

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

When considering any fandom name, generally, I imagine it used in two sentences:

I am a ___.

All the ____s out there want Bionicle to return in 2015.

Or take any sentence with 'Trekkies', or any term you're familiar with, and substitute whatever.

With those in mind, Bionifan, Chronicler, and Bionicultist sound the best.  Kohlii head sounds silly.  Then again, I actually rather like Kohlii head.

So, logically, the first three are the best.  But the world is not based on logic (as much as I'd like it to be).  Based on a fandom name we actually want, Kohlii heads wins.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

When considering any fandom name, generally, I imagine it used in two sentences:

I am a ___.

All the ____s out there want Bionicle to return in 2015.

Or take any sentence with 'Trekkies', or any term you're familiar with, and substitute whatever.

With those in mind, Bionifan, Chronicler, and Bionicultist sound the best.  Kohlii head sounds silly.  Then again, I actually rather like Kohlii head.

So, logically, the first three are the best.  But the world is not based on logic (as much as I'd like it to be).  Based on a fandom name we actually want, Kohlii heads wins.

haha glad you liked my BIONIFAN name!

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Here's something no one else has suggested: Mata Nuians.  Or something like that.

Mata Nui is something exclusive to Bionicle, and the main character of Bionicle.  It'd be like Doctor Who fans being whovians (should that be capitalized?).  And since Mata Nui is a place, Mata Nuians makes sense.

Mata Nui is already recognizable as Bionicle.  Once, taking an online Govt. test, I came across a question with made-up, hypothetical states, and one answer was "The State of Mata Nui wants to maintain its own army."  So whoever made that test was familiar with it as a place.  Well, that or they looked up fictional places and somehow got Mata Nui, but...

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

To name yourself sounds rather pretentious and I'm not much of a fan of it.

I'm also not really a fan of a specialized name for this fanbase.

What I am a fan of, though, is BIONICLE. So go right ahead and call me a "BIONICLE fan" all you want.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 1

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

We don't need a fandom name. You see, it works with 'Trekkies' because the word 'Trek' is incorporated. Plus it's cute. Get it?

You can't make anything cute and catchy with the word 'Bionicle'. You can only make terrifying words from 'Bionicle', like 'Bioniclowns' or 'Bionibros'. You can make "Bioniclecool' but then you sound like an asinine nerd.

If someone told you he was a Whovian, and you told him in reply that you were Bionicool, he'd probably take that as an insult to his intelligence and whop you in the face.

It's been 15 years and the closest we've ever gotten to a fandom name is "BZPer". Is there any reason to change that?

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 2

I don't mind Bonkles and Bonklettes... but do we really need one? We aren't a boyband.

Maybe we should start a boy band. Or maybe just a regular band. But it can't have more than one girl for every five dudes, because that would be crazy. :P

• Upvote 4