Bionicle fandom name

Willess12

I don't mind Bonkles and Bonklettes... but do we really need one? We aren't a boyband.

Maybe we should start a boy band. Or maybe just a regular band. But it can't have more than one girl for every five dudes, because that would be crazy. :P

Better yet, we could call ourselves 'The Piraka', then we don't need a girl in the band. We'd have 6 and a half crazy rappers  :afro:

• Upvote 3

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

I don't mind Bonkles and Bonklettes... but do we really need one? We aren't a boyband.

Maybe we should start a boy band. Or maybe just a regular band. But it can't have more than one girl for every five dudes, because that would be crazy. :P

Better yet, we could call ourselves 'The Piraka', then we don't need a girl in the band. We'd have 6 and a half crazy rappers  :afro:

Yo yo yo, I doubt the real Piraka would allow that to go unnoticed.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Bionicle fan is still fine with me. We spent 13 years without one, what's another several? =P

But names would be pretty cool, so if i had to pick, i like Chroniclers or Kohlii heads

Though, as others have pointed out, Chronicler is an actual word that could cause confusion. Too bad "Bionicler" sounds weird in comparison. Kohlii heads is quite adorable honestly and goes well with what a bunch of little dorks we are with our obsession with plastic toys. :D

Nuian is also a nice one (Sticking Mata in seems a little clunky to me).

And if course, Bionifan is a nice fallback for on the spot snappy name. :P

*sits back with her cup of coffee and watches the thread debate*

I'm not even mad. *le shrug*

On that note: Bonkles is my favorite- just cause it's silly. And I like silly.

...buuuuut my friends and I have always referred to us as Bioniclers Bionicling with our Bionicles in a Bionicly bearing.

*sips coffee*

*~* Oh Hello! *~*

ha ha ha

Lets just not.

Anything other than bionicle fan sounds absoloutley ridicilous in my book. Bionifan? Sounds like ponyfan, and imo that's not necessarily the best association.

• Upvote 2

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Hmm... *is keeping running tally*

Bionifan, Kohlii head, and bonklers seem to be the most popular.  And I think only one person has objected to Bionifan, which I've addressed below.

ha ha ha
Lets just not.

Anything other than bionicle fan sounds absoloutley ridicilous in my book. Bionifan? Sounds like ponyfan, and imo that's not necessarily the best association.

I fail to see to much of a resemblance to Ponyfan, and I also fail to see anything wrong with ponyfan.  Not that I'm the epitomy of Bionicle fans, but it doesn't seem that bad.

• Upvote 2

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

How about "cool dudes"?

=P

I wonder how many other forums use that as a censor for jerk. Probably not many. Now that you mention this, it seems very fitting for BZPower.

Edit: Wow! It didn't get censored as cool dude!

Edited by RahkshiToa88

I HATE SCORPIOS

ha ha ha

Lets just not.

I fail to see to much of a resemblance to Ponyfan, and I also fail to see anything wrong with ponyfan.  Not that I'm the epitomy of Bionicle fans, but it doesn't seem that bad.

My point is all the nicknames sound ridiculous. If there was need for one it would have surfaced already organically and not attempted to present itself in this topic.

And the ponyfan resemblance is phonetic. Bioni, Pony doesn't sound similar to you? Weird.

Plus, it rolls off the tongue in a weird, unnatural and/or childish manner, much like the rest of the suggested names.

So, I say neigh (pun intended) to any made-up fanbase nicknames.

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

***Toa Kyraan***

How about "cool dudes"?

=P

I wonder how many other forums use that as a censor for jerk. Probably not many. Now that you mention this, it seems very fitting for BZPower.

Edit: Wow! It didn't get censored as cool dude!

I didn't type 'jerk' or 'idiot' or anything. It was a joke :P

I know that. Even though the word filter must have been updated, the cool dude censor has been a part of BZPower for as long as I can remember. BZPers is kind of hard to say, but cool dudes is quite easy. The only con I can see is that it doesn't really describe us, and people would have to know BZPower to get it.

I HATE SCORPIOS

And the ponyfan resemblance is phonetic. Bioni, Pony doesn't sound similar to you? Weird.

Plus, it rolls off the tongue in a weird, unnatural and/or childish manner, much like the rest of the suggested names.

"Rolls off the tongue in a... childish manner".

Really.

The pretensions of this fanbase never cease to amaze me. God forbid anything we do sound childish to anyone, even for an utterly inane reason like how it "rolls off the tongue".

The similarities to ponyfan (a term that, as a brony, I've scarcely ever heard anybody actually use) never once occurred to me, and I doubt they'd occur to most people. But if they did, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Unless, of course, we're so wrapped up in our delusions of being better and more mature than everyone else that we take offense to being compared to one of the most lively and productive fanbases on the Internet.

I don't think this fandom necessarily NEEDS a name, but frankly all the reasons I've heard that people are opposed to a fandom name almost make me ashamed to consider myself a part of this fandom. So many people seem to have locked themselves up in an ivory tower and don't dare do anything that could be perceived as cute, childish, or silly. I don't see what everybody's so scared of — these kinds of lofty, ignorant pretensions are already more embarrassing to us as a community than any name would ever be.

• Upvote 10

I don't think this fandom necessarily NEEDS a name, but frankly all the reasons I've heard that people are opposed to a fandom name almost make me ashamed to consider myself a part of this fandom. So many people seem to have locked themselves up in an ivory tower and don't dare do anything that could be perceived as cute, childish, or silly. I don't see what everybody's so scared of — these kinds of lofty, ignorant pretensions are already more embarrassing to us as a community than any name would ever be.

thank you. you've summed up my feelings about this entire thread in one paragraph.

• Upvote 2

Really.

The pretensions of this fanbase never cease to amaze me. God forbid anything we do sound childish to anyone, even for an utterly inane reason like how it "rolls off the tongue".

The similarities to ponyfan (a term that, as a brony, I've scarcely ever heard anybody actually use) never once occurred to me, and I doubt they'd occur to most people. But if they did, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Unless, of course, we're so wrapped up in our delusions of being better and more mature than everyone else that we take offense to being compared to one of the most lively and productive fanbases on the Internet.

I can see you're point, and I mean you're right. Honestly, I do find myself to be outgrowing this, and I still hang back around icassionally now that Bionicle is coming back since I'm curious in which direction it will take off. A lot of things are percieved as cute childish and silly in this 7+ Lego theme, but I find that a name that (mostly) the older fans are trying to come up with should carry little less of that childishness with it.

But hey, glad we agree that the fanbase doesn't need a name, however regarding it sounding "childish" or whatever, that's just me having a say regarding the matter, just how you, obviously, have yours. I'm glad you're open to things a little more childish(pardon my political incorrectness if there is any) and whatnot, but my mindset is simply a little different, at the end of the day. And yes, I don't go around repping my Bionicle shirt and shoes simply because my way if life doesn't usually correspond to the rest of it, and I see this as my guilty pleasure. Why guilty? Cuz Ii think I'm getting too old for this. :)

Archon                      

***Toa Kyraan***

I just glanced at my own post you were replying to, and realized I said resemblance.  Why did I say that?

Anyway, only if you pronounce it Bionee.  If you pronounce it Bioni, with the last 'I' pronounced like in 'kit', which is how it is pronounced in Bionicle, then it sounds about as similar to pony as 'house' does to 'woah'.  Just my opinion, though.

A lot of things are percieved as cute childish and silly in this 7+ Lego theme, but I find that a name that (mostly) the older fans are trying to come up with should carry little less of that childishness with it.

This is true, too. 

And there's also what Aanchir just said.

Also, while on that point, plenty of Bionicle names already roll off the tongue weird (Morbuzakh), and some might be considered childish-sounding (Kini-Nui, depending on how you pronounce it).

As for the name 'BZPers' a few people have brought up:  I know everyone on here is a BZP person (unless you're a hacker using someone's account), but it seems like that name is restricting Bionicle to BZP.  It seems to imply that, if you aren't on BZP, you're not really a Bionicle fan.  I'd prefer a name that is more universal.

Lots of people have asked why we need a name.  I say it's not necessarily something we need, so much as something to identify as.  Look at it this way: if people, as a species, had no name, how would you differentiate yourself from the beasts in the field?  (Before anyone thinks so, I am NOT relating other people to beasts)It's also something to feel a sense of pride in.  This is especially true considering the Greg quote I currently have in my signature, which I've copied should I change my signature in the near future.

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves."-

Greg Farshtey, LMB Greg Discussion Topic

If we had a name, people on LMB could reply and say that they are proud to be a (insert name here).  I would, if I had a LMB account.  Even if the name was a silly one like Kohlii head.

Man, I wound up saying a lot more than I planned.

• Upvote 1

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Really.

I can see you're point, and I mean you're right. Honestly, I do find myself to be outgrowing this, and I still hang back around icassionally now that Bionicle is coming back since I'm curious in which direction it will take off. A lot of things are percieved as cute childish and silly in this 7+ Lego theme, but I find that a name that (mostly) the older fans are trying to come up with should carry little less of that childishness with it.

I see a name like "Bonklers" as a tacit admission that we all realize we're talking about a toy line aimed at children. It's slightly self-deprecating in a way that says, "Yeah, they're for kids, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it." 

That degree of self-awareness is much more mature and respectable than desperately pretending that Bionicle isn't aimed at kids.

• Upvote 6

Really.

I see a name like "Bonklers" as a tacit admission that we all realize we're talking about a toy line aimed at children. It's slightly self-deprecating in a way that says, "Yeah, they're for kids, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it." 

That degree of self-awareness is much more mature and respectable than desperately pretending that Bionicle isn't aimed at kids.

THIS. THIS. While I'm not personally a fan of "Bonklers", it's not because it's self-deprecating, but rather because it draws from a sort of spamminess that I don't think should be the face of our community (I'm okay with seeming childish, but I think intentional immaturity isn't the same thing). But I can totally get behind the similarly-silly "Bioniclers", or the self-deprecating "Kolhii Heads".

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Really.

THIS. THIS. While I'm not personally a fan of "Bonklers", it's not because it's self-deprecating, but rather because it draws from a sort of spamminess that I don't think should be the face of our community (I'm okay with seeming childish, but I think intentional immaturity isn't the same thing). But I can totally get behind the similarly-silly "Bioniclers", or the self-deprecating "Kolhii Heads".

Yeah, Bonklers sound like a bunch of people that bonk their heads. Bioniclers is my favorite now.

I HATE SCORPIOS

My main problem with a fandom name (other than the things I said back in my other post which I still think are legitimate concerns) is that none of the ones that have been suggested have been short or cool enough. Kohlii Heads is the best one so far and in the time it takes to say that you might as well not bother. It just feels a bit stilted. Also that whole trying to manufacture something that should just arise organically thing.

I do kind of resent the idea that the only reason one can have to not like the idea of a fandom name is a pretentious aversion to childish or silly things, though. My name is farmstink buttlass. farmstink buttlass. I kind of don't care. It's a different problem entirely.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to be tied to other fans through a fandom name, if we are not that fond of certain things those fans do. Really, if anything were to characterize the Bionicle fandom right now, for instance, it would be that sort of pretentiousness we're talking about, and no thank you. Though I suppose that's a sort of pretentiousness in its own?

Edited by farmstink buttlass
  • Upvote 3

AXKP5KC.png

My main problem with a fandom name (other than the things I said back in my other post which I still think are legitimate concerns) is that none of the ones that have been suggested have been short or cool enough. Kohlii Heads is the best one so far and in the time it takes to say that you might as well not bother. It just feels a bit stilted. Also that whole trying to manufacture something that should just arise organically thing.

Yes. Just that. Fandom names aren't normally made up in some unproductive thread like this one. They crop up naturally. Which is why we're never going to get a fandom name like this, if at all (thank goodness if we never do).

Another issue with "Kolhii heads" is that it makes no sense. Only the more versed Bionicle fans will probably even remember what Kohlii even is. 'Whovians' and 'Trekkies' works because you don't have to actually have seen the shows to know what the heck it means - they're based off of the show's titles.

And for anyone saying they want to avoid a "childish" or "juvenile" name - remember that we're fans of a children's toy line.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, honestly, this topic and that other one about "making new fads" are more than a little strange. These aren't usually things you discuss at length to create, and they're not even things we need. Just because every other hip new fanbase has a name and their fads and all that, doesn't mean we need them. We've survived 14 years (mostly) without any of that, and we're just a bit saner for it. If, due to the renewed interest in Bionicle that the revival is going to bring, those things were to happen on their own, well, then they would! But this is not the way things like that work out, at all.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

Yes. Just that. Fandom names aren't normally made up in some unproductive thread like this one. They crop up naturally. Which is why we're never going to get a fandom name like this, if at all (thank goodness if we never do).

Another issue with "Kolhii heads" is that it makes no sense. Only the more versed Bionicle fans will probably even remember what Kohlii even is. 'Whovians' and 'Trekkies' works because you don't have to actually have seen the shows to know what the heck it means - they're based off of the show's titles.

And for anyone saying they want to avoid a "childish" or "juvenile" name - remember that we're fans of a children's toy line.

Oh, I'd given up hope that this topic could ever result in a widely agreed-upon fandom name long ago, and I've pretty much given up hope that one could ever be reached by anyone at this point (I could be wrong; maybe the influx of new fans will decide on something in their own respective communities). But I still find it to be an interesting discussion.

And to your Whovian/Trekkie comparison I raise you Browncoats. Nothing in the name necessarily suggests Firefly (at least not to people unfamiliar with the show), but it's nonetheless become an agreed-upon identifier for fans.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, honestly, this topic and that other one about "making new fads" are more than a little strange. These aren't usually things you discuss at length to create, and they're not even things we need. Just because every other hip new fanbase has a name and their fads and all that, doesn't mean we need them. We've survived 14 years (mostly) without any of that, and we're just a bit saner for it. If, due to the renewed interest in Bionicle that the revival is going to bring, those things were to happen on their own, well, then they would! But this is not the way things like that work out, at all.

Come on man, have a little bit of fun. :P

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Come on man, have a little bit of fun. :P

-NotS

Which is exactly why I made the topic about fads.

I HATE SCORPIOS

Chroniclers sounds pretty awesome. I'm down for that

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

• 2 weeks later...

The whole idea of naming a fandom, finding identity in entertainment, is foolish. We like Bionicle. While we call ourselves fans, we aren't actual fanatics(see "Hiddlestoners" for clarification). We like Bionicle. Let's just leave it at that, eh? :P

Edited by toajomo

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

:smilepohatunu: chimoru2015spinnie.gif

Credit to Click for the awesome Bionicle 2015 spinnie!

NO. All hail the bionicle master race! We must find a name to rally behind as we steadily consume all other fandoms!

Joking aside, I'm kind of neutral on it. Coming up with a name here doesn't really seem to work, and even if we came up with one, chances are it wouldn't catch on. However, if a good name pops up out of the blue somewhere, I wouldn't mind. I really don't think it's that foolish, because being a fan of a toy line targeted at 7-12 year olds sounds pretty foolish already :P

A fandom name will not just let people know that we obsess over a children's toy line, but that we are also PROUD of it.

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

The whole idea of naming a fandom, finding identity in entertainment, is foolish. We like Bionicle. While we call ourselves fans, we aren't actual fanatics(see "Hiddlestoners" for clarification). We like Bionicle. Let's just leave it at that, eh? :P

I think that's a rather dismissive attitude. Identity is a complex thing, and a fandom name can help to define parts of that. I would consider myself an AFOL but that's not to say that I define my entire sense of being according to my age or my love of Lego. But it helps to convey one of my dedicated interests to others quickly and effectively. It's not my whole identity, but it is a part of my identity, and a significant one to mention when I'm trying to relate to others who might share the same interests.

It'd be nice, I think, if the Bionicle fandom in general could agree on a shared identifier, so that they could raise their public profile and help to dismiss the common notion that Bionicle is "kid's stuff" or "not real Lego". Yes, that comes with the risk that the connotations of that name might not all be positive, especially if the more mature and sensible fans allow other, less reasonable fans to leave more of an impression on outsiders. But I don't think that's the only possible outcome by a long shot.

But the folks who do want a fandom name can't seem to agree on one and the folks who don't are a constant presence, so I suppose the point is moot.

• Upvote 1

Chroniclers seems popular, but many people have said it's confusing.  However, over on the TTV message boards, this discussion came up, and member ENDfilms brought up the idea of Bio-chroniclers, which dodges such confusion.  Just a thought conveyed among two forums

• Upvote 1

I think that's a rather dismissive attitude. Identity is a complex thing, and a fandom name can help to define parts of that. I would consider myself an AFOL but that's not to say that I define my entire sense of being according to my age or my love of Lego. But it helps to convey one of my dedicated interests to others quickly and effectively. It's not my whole identity, but it is a part of my identity, and a significant one to mention when I'm trying to relate to others who might share the same interests.

It'd be nice, I think, if the Bionicle fandom in general could agree on a shared identifier, so that they could raise their public profile and help to dismiss the common notion that Bionicle is "kid's stuff" or "not real Lego". Yes, that comes with the risk that the connotations of that name might not all be positive, especially if the more mature and sensible fans allow other, less reasonable fans to leave more of an impression on outsiders. But I don't think that's the only possible outcome by a long shot.

But the folks who do want a fandom name can't seem to agree on one and the folks who don't are a constant presence, so I suppose the point is moot.

I don't know. There seems to be a pretty strong consensus on Chroniclers or Bio-Chroniclers(as Willess12 mentioned). I just don't really think we need a name. Bionicle fans seem pretty concentrated in places like BS01, Bzpower, etc. Without a larger reach, there's no need for fandom identification.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

:smilepohatunu: chimoru2015spinnie.gif

Credit to Click for the awesome Bionicle 2015 spinnie!

Chroniclers seems popular, but many people have said it's confusing.  However, over on the TTV message boards, this discussion came up, and member ENDfilms brought up the idea of Bio-chroniclers, which dodges such confusion.  Just a thought conveyed among two forums

At that point, why not just go the full way and call us Bioniclers?

Because either way, it flows pretty poorly.

AXKP5KC.png

Chroniclers seems popular, but many people have said it's confusing. However, over on the TTV message boards, this discussion came up, and member ENDfilms brought up the idea of Bio-chroniclers, which dodges such confusion. Just a thought conveyed among two forums

I don't see how "Bioniclers" flows that poorly. That's one of the ones I'm fond of, partly because it resembles "Spacers", the common term for Lego Space fans.

Chroniclers seems popular, but many people have said it's confusing. However, over on the TTV message boards, this discussion came up, and member ENDfilms brought up the idea of Bio-chroniclers, which dodges such confusion. Just a thought conveyed among two forums

I don't see how "Bioniclers" flows that poorly. That's one of the ones I'm fond of, partly because it resembles "Spacers", the common term for Lego Space fans.

Granted, that might have been my general bias against fandom names that just take the subject's name talking. Though at least compared to how I pronounce Bionicle, Bioniclers is a bit weird.

AXKP5KC.png