Project Mangai

I always thought the Toa Mangai should have got at least SOME sets, perhaps just Nidhiki and Tuyet - But sadly we only got Lhikan. I feel the Mangai didn't get enough attention in the story either, seeing as we only know the names of 4 members. I'm hoping to fix that. I am currently trying to make a full team of 11 Toa Mangai. As of now, I only have Nidhiki finished, but I will soon be getting Lhikan from Bricklink, and I will soon be working on the 4 Toa of Ice. 
I will post updates showing recently built Toa as I make them. If you are interested in seeing them be sure to check back here every once in a while. 
I am trying to make these MOCs as accurate to their character's story descriptions as possible. I may have to do some inaccurate things because of parts or Masks not being released, e.g. The Mask of Intangibility. 

NIDHIKI
http://i.imgur.com/kR7jBFn.jpg

This was the first one I built. Sadly the shoulder pads don't come in silver, so I had to recreate them myself using 3 separate  pieces, which I think turned out pretty good. I also added a silver Gahlok Kal shield on his chest so he slightly resembles his Mutated form, which had the same piece. I tried to make him as close to how he is described in the story as possible, as I will be doing with all the Toa Mangai.

LHIKAN
http://i.imgur.com/U76iTKQ.jpg

I know Lhikan was released in a set, but I thought I would show him anyway since he's the Leader, and I made a few upgrades to him. I modded his arms, mainly to look better but they do also have more articulation now. (Credit to whoever invented that design)
I also fixed his swords so he can actually hold them properly now, without having to either hold them backwards or have his hands at weird angles. I made his neck slightly shorter too, because I just thought it looked pretty cool. Of course these mods are non-canon, it wouldn't be very interesting if I just posted a photo of the set. 

VAKU (Toa of Ice 1)
http://i.imgur.com/dy7AGqx.jpg

So this is Vaku, the first of the 4 Toa of Ice. He wears a Great Kanohi Mahiki, the mask of illusion, but it is shaped like a Noble version. He carries an Ice Staff, created by a Matoran engineer on his previous homeland which can be used to channel his elemental power and can slightly amplify it. (But only a very small amount, not as much as Takanuva's power lance)

AKAMU (Toa of Ice 2)
http://i.imgur.com/iMiFWL5.jpg

Akamu is quiet but deadly. He is very fast and agile and wields 2 Ice blades. He wears an Akaku, the mask of X-ray vision. 
He is the most acrobatic of the team, and is very observant of his enemies' weaknesses.

TUYET
http://i.imgur.com/bZkGnXI.jpg

Okay, this one was probably the most requested. Finally, here she is. Tuyet, rogue Toa of Water. Tuyet wears the great Mask of Intangibility, and wields a barbed broadsword. You may also notice that she has the Nui Stone on a chain around her neck. 
Note: LEGO has never released the Mask of Intangibility or even shown it, which is the reason for the Tarix helmet seen here. Of course her mask doesn't really look like that in canon.

TEHKA  (Toa of Ice 3)
http://i.imgur.com/GdKrKIe.jpg

For those curious, I swapped the names of this guy and Akamu. Sorry for the confusion. Anyway. This is Tehka. Tehka is best friends with another Toa from the same homeland as him, Vaku. He wields a modified disk launcher created by the same Matoran engineer who made Vaku's staff. Not only can he fire Kanoka, but he can also channel his elemental powers through it creating a disk of pure ice energy which can fly at very high speeds freezing his enemies. He also carries a spear on his back. Tehka is the most skilled with technology of all the Toa Mangai and usually prefers to use slightly more advanced weapons - such as the disk launcher.

BAROX (Toa of Gravity)
http://i.imgur.com/5Ql9Cpo.jpg

Barox is the strongest of the Toa Mangai, having the power to control gravity and a Kanohi Pakari, the mask of strength. (It was the only purple mask available ;_; ) He uses a giant mace which he can slam down with incredible force by assisting it with his gravity power. 

NAHO

http://i.imgur.com/dM93kNw.jpg

Another one of the known canon Toa Mangai. Naho wears a Kakama and uses a long water spear which she uses to channel her elemental power. I gave her a Kakama because in Time Trap, the Shadowed One and the dark hunter he was with (Forgot his name) found a Kakama outside Metru-Nui which was worn by one of the Toa Mangai (At that point dead), so I thought I'd incorporate that into the build. 

KRODAN (Toa of Iron)

http://i.imgur.com/1vIz26c.jpg

Krodan is one of the last Toa of Iron, because of the Makuta trying to purge the universe of them. 

Krodan wears a Kakama, the mask of speed, since it's the only dark orange one LEGO released ;_; and when it comes to weapons he uses well, whatever he wants to! He can use his elemental powers to warp his weapon into any shape he wants, and adapt it to his will to carry out different tasks. He's usually the 'funny guy' of the team, having a good sense of humor, but can be serious when the time comes. 

KOTA (Toa of Ice 4)

http://i.imgur.com/9nF8ZIt.jpg

Finally, all the Ice Toa are done! Anyway.. Kota is strong and loyal, but also quite reserved. 

He wears a great Kanohi Hau, and wields an Ice blade and shield to channel his power. Kota is usually very brave, but he isn't too keen on heights - He will always avoid using the chutes if he can. Because of this, Nidhiki often teases him.  

KUMU  (Toa of Plantlife)

http://i.imgur.com/hCXhO38.jpg

Kumu is wise and peaceful. He doesn't speak often, and usually prefers to spend his time in the forest. He is an expert on Rahi, and his Kanohi Zatth, the Mask of Rahi Summoning, has allowed him to gain more knowledge and summon Rahi to his aid. I got Kumu's name from the Kumu Islets, an area in Le-Wahi, since other Toa Mangai also got parts of Mata-Nui named after them, such as Naho Bay and the Mangai Volcano which was named after the entirety of Lhikan's team.

Edit: Images linked; please keep posted images in BBC to 640x640 pixels and 100 kB.

-Wind-

Edited by -Chronix Master of Stuff-
  • Upvote 8

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

I will be watching this topic closely. I have actually always wondered what the Toa Mangai could have looked like.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Great work so far. If it helps, the following places on Mata Nui were probably named after Toa familiar to the Toa Metru, including the Toa Mangai:

Fau Swamp, Lake Pala, Kanae Bay, Kumu Islets (Le-Wahi)

Motara Desert, Tiro Canyon, Leva Bay (Po-Wahi)

Papa Nihu Reef, Marn Tunnels (Onu-Wahi)

Hura-Mafa River (Ga-Wahi)

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Great work so far. If it helps, the following places on Mata Nui were probably named after Toa familiar to the Toa Metru, including the Toa Mangai:

Thanks. You've actually just given me one of the names.

Edited by Toa Chronix

Thanks. You've actually just given me one of the names.

I actually had an idea similar to this, using the Mata Nui location names as Toa Mangai, like Greg confirmed is the case.

Your MOCs look great! I like the crystal at the end of Vaku's staff.

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

I love that Toa of Ice! How close to cannon is it?

14 posts away.  :P 1024px-Cannon%2C_Ch%C3%A2teau_du_Haut-Ko

In all seriousness, though, I don't think we ever got a detailed description of the Toa Mangai besides Nidhiki, Lhikan and Tuyet, except for their elements.

I don't know what to say. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=189682&d=139

• Upvote 6

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

I love that Toa of Ice! How close to cannon is it?

I'm checking every canon detail about the Toa Mangai and incorporating it into the MOCs. There hasn't been any info about the Ice Toa which gave me some freedom. I'll add the 2nd one soon. 

Can you give me an ETA?

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Looks wonderful! I am sitting here waiting for a Tuyet.

Also, have you thought of doing a different team like making Lesovikk's once you are done with the Mangai?

I honestly don't know if I'll be making Lesovikk's team, since they would be more complex and most likely pretty expensive to get all the stuff needed. But I can tell you that Tuyet is probably going to be added next.

Edited by Toa Chronix

Tuyet is added.

She looks pretty good, but that mask is bothering me. It just doesn't seem to really fit the Metru style. I think it's because it's a bit too thin, which is ironic, because I always pictured Tuyet as having Kina's helmet, which is also a Glatorian helm. I really have no other ideas for what else her mask could be...

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I dunno, I think the narrower helmet works, since she also has narrower shoulders than the rest.

But yeah, Tuyet looks dark and menacing. I love the simplicity of the barbed broadsword.

Lhikan's neck is too short, though. And I'm not sure how I feel about Vaku's green eyes, they feel a bit clashing to me.

I like Akamu quite a bit, though. White and sand blue are an unbeatable combination when it comes to ice types.

• Upvote 2

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

I dunno, I think the narrower helmet works, since she also has narrower shoulders than the rest.

But yeah, Tuyet looks dark and menacing. I love the simplicity of the barbed broadsword.

Lhikan's neck is too short, though. And I'm not sure how I feel about Vaku's green eyes, they feel a bit clashing to me.

I like Akamu quite a bit, though. White and sand blue are an unbeatable combination when it comes to ice types.

About Vaku's eye color - I just did it to make him different from the other Ice Toa. Since there are four of them I wanted some variety, and also to ignore the whole 'Ice Toa have blue eyes' cliche. Thanks for your feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

Liking this a lot. A lot of your Toa Mangai are very consistent with the Metru designs (some perhaps too much so, not very innovative ideas for most of the ice Toa) but I really like some of the choices you made in making many stand out. Nidhiki is very nice, simply because his colour scheme is entirely reminiscent of his Dark Hunter form. Barox looks great and the use of fairly standard purple pieces as armor works very well. Awesome use of the Tarix helmet on Tuyet, which does a great job substituting for her otherwise appearance-less Kanohi. 

Overall really great concept and true to the sets, and it is easy to believe that these could have indeed been Toa Mangai sets.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say Naho's pretty good, especially with her Mata Blue-y colour scheme. I think, however, that you might have used a few too many shades of blue, and the CCBS armour on her thighs doesn't really go well with the rest of her armour, so I'd swap that to maybe some armour made entirely out of Technic pieces. Also, I feel her neck is a bit long, so you might want to shorten that a bit. Overall though, I'd say you've captured what personality we saw of Naho pretty well. :D

Also, yay 550th post! :)

VBWj75sh.png

I'd say Naho's pretty good, especially with her Mata Blue-y colour scheme. I think, however, that you might have used a few too many shades of blue, and the CCBS armour on her thighs doesn't really go well with the rest of her armour, so I'd swap that to maybe some armour made entirely out of Technic pieces. Also, I feel her neck is a bit long, so you might want to shorten that a bit. Overall though, I'd say you've captured what personality we saw of Naho pretty well. :D

The CCBS parts were supposed to sort of resemble a skirt-like thing or something. 

The CCBS parts were supposed to sort of resemble a skirt-like thing or something. 

I can kinda see it. Might have been captured a little better with something on the front too, but if you can't do that, that's okay.

So far, my favorite is Tehka. There's just something about him... Might be the disk launcher...

Will you do a group shot when you finish? That would be really cool, especially since there are more than one Toa of Ice.

Edited by Emotionless

mindeth the cobwebs

I really like Naho! I love the way you included CCBS bc it add variety that some of the other Toa lack (specifically the Toa of Ice) But anyways great mocs! :D