Official Rare & Promotional Collectibles Topic

Letagi

Hey does anyone know how much the bionicle rahkshi shoes would be WITHOUT the TOKs?

Which coloured ones do you have? I wouldn't mind having another colour to display alongside my blue ones but of course that's no good if the ones you have are blue. And it's true that most of the value is lost without the TOK, even in good condition...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Hey does anyone know how much the bionicle rahkshi shoes would be WITHOUT the TOKs?

Which coloured ones do you have? I wouldn't mind having another colour to display alongside my blue ones but of course that's no good if the ones you have are blue. And it's true that most of the value is lost without the TOK, even in good condition...

Ohh sorry I got the blue ones as well :/

VV PM me if you have any of these masks! VV

6lyjLOL.png

• 2 weeks later...

So, while taking pictures of my current mask collection, I happened to notice a production oddity on my Gresh mask, which I've had since January 2009 (how I only just noticed it for the first time in 6 and a half years is beyond me  :D ). None of my collector friends have ever seen this on this mask, so figured I'd post it here. Both the eye holes are mismoulded, they have excess plastic around them, especially the left eye hole. Well, a picture speaks a thousand words, so here's a picture of my Gresh mask (the rough edge on the bottom is likely a little playwear, but still not sure how it got that way as I always played gently with my Bionicles):

mismoulded_gresh_mask.jpg

Maybe somebody could shed some light on this mismoulding? As I said, this is a mask from probably one of the first batches of the Glatorian sets if that bears any significance. It also means I'm going to need a normal Gresh mask, this mismoulded one is the only one I've got  :P

My Flickr - My Brickshelf - My DeviantART

Latest MOC: Draphim the Dragonborn - Latest artwork: Mazzie Rati

MOC Accolades: Mechan'Rex, Steel Guardian (BFTGM 2nd place on EB) - Skeletal Dragon (Featured on BZP) - Skull Imitator Corphos (Featured on Creator's Corner) - CCBS Chess (Featured on BZP) - Draphim the Dragonborn (Most faved MOC of mine on Flickr) - BOB WIP (featured on Flickr's Explore page - don't ask me why)

If you see a creative topic from me, I'd appreciate a comment on it - it's how I learn and become better at what I do!

That's really interesting. I'm no expert in LEGO's production methods, but based on this, I would guess that the eyeholes aren't part of the moulding process; rather, they're stamped out after the piece is moulded. This is a case where that stamping didn't go all the way through for some reason.

Either that, or the eyeholes are moulded, and there was some bleedthrough of plastic into an area where there shouldn't have been. 

I don't think the fact that it's an early release has any significance, though. This sort of mismould could happen any time, I would guess.

-Letagi

Edited by Letagi

I suggested that the molds may not have been as tight as necessary to ensure a perfect injection as I agree it looks like bleeding during the injection process. How it might be possible that the molds weren't tight shut is beyond me though, I've seen Lego's machinery and they're really VERY complex. I don't think there's much space for error, even the human kind  :???:

Hmmm, I originally thought that the eyeholes hadn't been stamped out properly, but the more I look at the shape of the mismoulding, the more I think Munty is right, though why the bleeding of the plastic is so irregular is hard to guess. You'd expect it to at least be equal both sides if the moulds weren't tight enough. Guess the moulding machine was having an off day... but nonetheless, it's pretty cool I have something in my collection that could be considered very rare, even, dare I say it, unique.

I will have to get myself a normal Gresh mask and do some comparison photos at some point  ;)

My Flickr - My Brickshelf - My DeviantART

Latest MOC: Draphim the Dragonborn - Latest artwork: Mazzie Rati

MOC Accolades: Mechan'Rex, Steel Guardian (BFTGM 2nd place on EB) - Skeletal Dragon (Featured on BZP) - Skull Imitator Corphos (Featured on Creator's Corner) - CCBS Chess (Featured on BZP) - Draphim the Dragonborn (Most faved MOC of mine on Flickr) - BOB WIP (featured on Flickr's Explore page - don't ask me why)

If you see a creative topic from me, I'd appreciate a comment on it - it's how I learn and become better at what I do!

• 4 weeks later...

In first post there are UK and US versions of Copper Huna mentioned, but from description of Copper Komau it seems like there is only one (UK?) version. But now I was checking my collection in order to trade one of my Copper Komaus and noticed that one of them is like US Copper Huna and another is like UK Copper Huna:

pPIrTvZ.jpg

Left one is clearly translucent, when right one doesn't let any light go through.

So there are UK and US versions of Copper Komau also?

In first post there are UK and US versions of Copper Huna mentioned, but from description of Copper Komau it seems like there is only one (UK?) version. But now I was checking my collection in order to trade one of my Copper Komaus and noticed that one of them is like US Copper Huna and another is like UK Copper Huna:

http://i.imgur.com/pPIrTvZ.jpg

Left one is clearly translucent, when right one doesn't let any light go through.

So there are UK and US versions of Copper Komau also?

There's no distinction officially, since I don't believe the Komau was ever released in North America. The difference between the two masks you have is also not as great as the difference between a UK Huna and a US Huna; I'm pretty sure it's just a slight random variation in dye concentration. That's something that's found in lots of pieces; I remember noticing it in a couple of trans-red Vahki heads years ago.

-Letagi

To elaborate, I've recently found a LOT of variation in the dark green pieces used to build Nidhiki. Some are absolutely opaque while others are quite the contrary (more so than the copper huna used as an example here!) So I think I'm with Letagi in suggesting it's simply a difference in batches and dye concentration.

That said, do we know WHY there were two different types of Huna in the first place? Why the EU and US one? Were they manufactured in different countries (which would explain it) or were they simply distributed in different countries (which would not!) I'm curious now...

The whole EU vs TRU thing is not strictly true anyway.  I got a handful of the copper Huna directly from TRU when they were first given out.  Most (~10) were translucent but one was opaque.  

It's in the nature of these things that the expense of the masks is 90% set-up and clean-up, 9% machine time and essentially zero for the plastic.  When you make a mask, you might as well make an extra few thousand because they're free.  Of course, that kind of thinking leads to ever increasing storage costs.

I speculate that Toys-R-Us ordered up a batch of masks to give away so LEGO stamped them out to order.  The guy mixing the colors was told "Copper" and that's what he made.  He had some already (left over from the EU production), added in some from the new batch and sent them out to TRU.

Arguing against a separate manufacturing location, the molds themselves are expensive.  I would expect that shipping masks would be cheaper.  Of course, I suppose you could ship the molds... but there are risks and delays that way.

LEGO does whatever they want though.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a numberless Disk of Time but my mom got mad and destroyed (no joke, she got mad at me for watching Star Wars III, took them into the garage and ran them over, while she had me watch) it and all my other kanoka back in 2005.

I'm sorry dude. but it could have been worse right? she could have burned the house down (not trying to make you feel worse) because that actually happened, so...

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I have a blank kanoka disk (the glow in the dark one), and the "bley" rhotuka. I read the values on the post, are these current?

The bley Rhotuka could maybe be sold for more than what's listed, since it's surprisingly uncommon. The price I listed in the guide might be a little outdated; if you sell it, let me know what offers you get and I'll update the information. The value for the blank GitD Kanoka is reasonably accurate, though.

-Letagi

I have a blank kanoka disk (the glow in the dark one), and the "bley" rhotuka. I read the values on the post, are these current?

The bley Rhotuka could maybe be sold for more than what's listed, since it's surprisingly uncommon. The price I listed in the guide might be a little outdated; if you sell it, let me know what offers you get and I'll update the information. The value for the blank GitD Kanoka is reasonably accurate, though.

-Letagi

I may or may not sell it, depends what I get offered. The kanoka I'll keep because it's cheap, I'll do the same with the rhotuka. No sense in selling them for $5 only needing to hunt them down again in the future!

Hey Yesterday (as in like about 2 hours ago) was the day of my birthday, and my dad got me the SDCC mask and a SDCC BIONICLE 2015 two-sided poster!

(I apologize if this is off topic)

My dad also got me the BIONICLE Special edition Toa Norik and Toa Iruini sets in the double pack! (still with the box), as well as an Orange Vahi.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Hey Yesterday (as in like about 2 hours ago) was the day of my birthday, and my dad got me the SDCC mask and a SDCC BIONICLE 2015 two-sided poster!

(I apologize if this is off topic)

My dad also got me the BIONICLE Special edition Toa Norik and Toa Iruini sets in the double pack! (still with the box), as well as an Orange Vahi.

DONT OPEN THE DOUBLE PACK

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

I can confirm that I own (one, not too sure if it's the only) the gunmetal/gold Strakk helmet. There's also a greenish-gunmetal zamor too, although I'm not too sure whether or not people consider Zamor collectible (with all, like 7 colors or so?)

I can try and dig it out for better pics, if wanted though. I have it stored away with the other three prototype parts I won back in 2010, I believe. I don't know price estimates, but apparently I'm not supposed to sell them. Not that I'd want to anyway, it's pretty neat to have a potentially one-of-a-kind BIONICLE thing.

EDIT: It's the left-most one in the pics provided in the original post.

Edited by T.B.O.C

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I can confirm that I own (one, not too sure if it's the only) the gunmetal/gold Strakk helmet. There's also a greenish-gunmetal zamor too, although I'm not too sure whether or not people consider Zamor collectible (with all, like 7 colors or so?)

I can try and dig it out for better pics, if wanted though. I have it stored away with the other three prototype parts I won back in 2010, I believe. I don't know price estimates, but apparently I'm not supposed to sell them. Not that I'd want to anyway, it's pretty neat to have a potentially one-of-a-kind BIONICLE thing.

Very nice! I have exactly the same piece; got it from Black Six at BrickFest 2009. There seem to be three, as the post says, judging from this picture; there's one next to the Pridak head, and another in the pile to the left of the pearl gold Avohkiis. Then there's mine, which I got before this picture was taken. I've scoured the other pictures from Black Six, and haven't found any others. Good to know who another owner is! I don't know who owns the last one.

Price estimates are a tricky thing with Binkmeister prototypes, since they've only ever been sold once, and that was in the context of a large collection being sold that happened to include a couple prototypes so it's impossible to base an estimate off of that. But it's kind of irrelevant anyways, because like you say, they're not supposed to be sold anyways.

-Letagi

Very nice! I have exactly the same piece; got it from Black Six at BrickFest 2009. There seem to be three, as the post says, judging from this picture; there's one next to the Pridak head, and another in the pile to the left of the pearl gold Avohkiis. Then there's mine, which I got before this picture was taken. I've scoured the other pictures from Black Six, and haven't found any others. Good to know who another owner is! I don't know who owns the last one.

Price estimates are a tricky thing with Binkmeister prototypes, since they've only ever been sold once, and that was in the context of a large collection being sold that happened to include a couple prototypes so it's impossible to base an estimate off of that. But it's kind of irrelevant anyways, because like you say, they're not supposed to be sold anyways.

-Letagi

Woah, I didn't know there were so many duplicates of some of the parts. I thought most of them were unique items (in the sense that there was only one of them). Were all of these given out to BZP members?

Hail Denmark

Woah, I didn't know there were so many duplicates of some of the parts. I thought most of them were unique items (in the sense that there was only one of them). Were all of these given out to BZP members?

There were a few unique pieces in the bag, such as the silver Avohkii Phantoka and trans-green Mohtrek. That doesn't mean they're one-of-a-kinds, just that they were the only ones in the bag. The first post of this topic lists all the pieces in the bag and specifies approximately how many of each there are.

And yes, that was the purpose of giving the pieces to Black Six; they were intended as BZP giveaways.

-Letagi

-Letagi

Holy cow, I would give the deed to my house for one of those pearl gold avohkiis Dx 

Edited by Toa Nekar

VV PM me if you have any of these masks! VV

6lyjLOL.png

• 2 weeks later...

How do you tell the difference between a Pearl light gold Visorak shell and a normal one?

Pearl gold is the same as Brutaka/Modern Gold. The normal, flat gold one is the same color as Takanuva, Lhikan and Iruini. The difference will be the same as this (Pearl gold being on the left):

265761.jpg

What I meant was how does one find the difference between light pearl gold and solid pearl gold.

Want to join a Bionicle RP with seasoned RPers, vast amounts of topics to post in, and a Wikia to make it easy to get involved?

Come on over to Gen1RP.  :smilenuju:

What I meant was how does one find the difference between light pearl gold and solid pearl gold.

As far as I know those are the same, but I could be wrong. Aanchir knows all about this stuff, so you should check with him.

I can, however, tell you that the Visorak shells and Kraahkan came in only two shades of gold - dark gold being the common one, and light pearl gold being the less common one.

-Letagi

• Upvote 1

As far as I know those are the same, but I could be wrong. Aanchir knows all about this stuff, so you should check with him.

I can, however, tell you that the Visorak shells and Kraahkan came in only two shades of gold - dark gold being the common one, and light pearl gold being the less common one.

-Letagi

Oh, in that case I have a light pearl gold Visorak Shell. 

Want to join a Bionicle RP with seasoned RPers, vast amounts of topics to post in, and a Wikia to make it easy to get involved?

Come on over to Gen1RP.  :smilenuju:

Metru blue matatu? If so congratulations, it's a nice piece for any collection!

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

Metru blue matatu? If so congratulations, it's a nice piece for any collection!

Yup, that's what it is. Thanks!

Did you get that one from Black Six? It looks amazing!

No, there are no more masks in the Bink bag and haven't been for quite some time. This one came from Nukaya.

-Letagi