What is the "point of LEGO"?

Boidoh

So today I had a conversation with a person I am ashamed to have once called a friend... Yeah, he is still a "cool guy" after all these years. (Take that! I censor myself!) So I took some BIONICLEs to draw for Art, because we had to pick a theme and that jazz and I chose BIONICLE, so I brought some. Then this conversation happened.

Cool Guy: You know <insert name of his friend here> has tons of these right?

Me: Yeah, of course. I knew him before you... *rolls eyes*

Cool Guy: He has tons and he makes all these really awesome stuff out of them.

Me: Yes, I know.... As I already said, I've seen those sets he has before you, as I've known him before you...

Cool Guy: Why are these still looking like this, dude? (I really hate his speech pattern of saying "dude")

Me: Looking how?

Cool Guy: You know, like, how it came in the box. Why don't YOU break up them and make some awesome stuff like <insert name of his friend here>?

Me: You know, because I like all my BIONICLE stuff canon. If it isn't canon, chances are I wont really like it that much. But I've seen his stuff already, it looks nice, but not something I'd really be into. 

Cool Guy: What's cannon?

Me: Like, official in story then.

Cool Guy: But why? Isn't the entire point of LEGO to build stuff up, look at them for a while, then break everything up completely and make some other awesome thing?

Me: Maybe that is the point of it FOR YOU, but I that isn't the point of LEGO for me. Besides, the only LEGO theme I'm really into right now is BIONICLE, because of the 2015 leaks and what not, not that you'd know about them, and even when I was into all sub-themes of LEGO, if the set I bought had every piece intact and none missing, chances are that I'd never ever break them apart. I would only make MOCs with stuff that I bought used and has pieces missing or from those sets that came with the bunch of bricks and stuff.

Cool Guy: What are 'mocks'?

Me: My Own Creation... How wouldn't you know since your obviously so into LEGO and have claimed several times to have more and 

'cooler' stuff than me...

Cool Guy: Anyways, I'm really sorry for you. You're missing the entire point of LEGO. That is what LEGO is all about and you probably need to get some help or something, dude. Why would you ever want to keep your BIONICLEs and stuff looking like, ugh, these?

I just walked away... This cool guy has annoyed me for several years and this is my melting point, but thats besides the point. This conversation has irritated me because of his idea that the definitive "point of LEGO" is to build the set, look at it for a while, then break it up and build cool stuff again, and again. Do you agree with this? What is the "point of LEGO" to you? Do you believe that there is even a definitive "point" beyond them as being buildable toys? Discuss.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

It's an interconnected interlocking brick system. :P

And the point of it is whatever you deem the point of it is. Lego is a creative medium, like a pencil and a sheet of paper is a creative medium. It's like asking what the point of clay or a set of crayons is. The point of Lego is something to do stuff with, whether building products to sell to kids, collecting it as a hobby, telling a story, serving as an art model, or just building a tower on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Or something else.

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 5

The point of LEGO is to burn make stuff. Whether it's official or an MOC is up to you. Personally, I don't break up my Bionicle sets unless I have multiples, they have key pieces missing/broken or I plan to put them back together soon. I do break up some system and HF sets I don't care to have built, though. I took Toxic Reapa apart from MOCing and a couple City sets from long ago for parts. If I like it how it is, no way am I gonna even think of taking it apart. No one touches Furno XL... NO ONE! BWAHAHAHAHA!

To me, Lego sets were toys for me to collect, put together as the instructions said, and then enjoy playing with them and having them interact with other sets. I rarely take apart one of my sets once I build it. The only exceptions were when I was building some of the combiner models with them or if it was one of my non-Bionicle sets. I only remember MOCing with a Star Wars set I have, but I'm sure I've taken apart some of my other non-Bionicle sets at times. 

But nowadays I never take apart my sets. I enjoy keeping them together. That is what a Lego set is to me. And as others have stated, the point of having a Lego set, or actually any toy in general, is for your own entertainment as you see fit. Whether that be MOCing with them or keeping them together in their original set forms. As long as they give you joy, then you shouldn't worry about what others think of it.  

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Lego is whatever you want it to be. Simple as that.

If you want it to be canon because you like that canon, then let it be canon. I love making original things, but sometimes I just want to look at the sets I have an appreciate them for what they are, which is nothing bad.

Just stay happy and keep loving Lego in whatever way you'd like, because Lego was never made to be exactly anything.  :)

• Upvote 1

The point of Lego is usually one of the eight corners of your standard square or rectangular block, although there are plenty of other pointy Lego elements :P

Everyone can use Legos for whatever they see fit, as long as they stay true to the meaning of the name: play well. You can build by the instructions or build however you feel the pieces should go together, and you can build for fun or as art or just to relieve stress, and you can leave your models intact forever or demolish them every time you're done so you can keep making new things. It doesn't matter so long as it makes you happy.

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Lego in a nutshell is plastic in the shape of fun. Do what ever you want with it. Whatever floats your goat.

Edited by Toa Kayn

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

Lego can be anything you want it to be. We all have our opinions on it and how we want to use it. Sure, your "friend" could have worded things a little differently, but that's just his opinion. People can do what they prefer with their Legos, and that's just fine! :)

As for me, I prefer the canon stuff with MOCs mixed in. 

mindeth the cobwebs

Fun and imagination. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I basically agree with Aanchir. Different people like playing with it in different ways. (Personally, I'm kind of a mix of the two, since I keep most of my *complete* Bionicle sets whole, but don't, usually, with system stuff. I then MOC and experiment with everything that's left over.)

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Yeah, I don't think there's any true point to LEGO other than it's a toy and it's meant to be used with creativity and you get to make whatever you want with it. I tend to go on more of the side of moccing unless I want to keep a set together for nostalgia. This is mainly because I want to create my own things I like. That's how I've been my whole life.

Probably doesn't involve any of this, but Mr. "Dude" thinks it is stupid that I discuss the story of BIONICLE and never the sets, because I was telling my friend about certain celestial bodies in certain leaked stuff, and I drew the box and he was annoyed because he probably thinks the story is stupid, or rather he is stupid to know the story.

Edit: Mr. Dude = "Cool Guy"

"Cool Guy" = censored word

Edited by Boidoh

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

In Latin, Lego with a long mark over the "o" is read, but if it has a long mark over the "o" and "e", it's now bequeath. The point of Lego is reading and bequeathing.

Actually, it's innovation and imagination which you're "cool guy" ex-friend lacks.

Edited by Councilor Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

LEGO is there to make it whatever you want it to be, there are no limitations, if you like keeping sets together (like me) or if you like MOCing well thats your own decision, thats the entire point of LEGO

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Lego is derived form the danish words "Leg Godt" which supposedly means "play nice". Now those who did know that, that's cool and for those who didn't, now you know. I guess it makes since that it means play nice since really that's what Lego are used for.

I thought it meant play well.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Lego is derived form the danish words "Leg Godt" which supposedly means "play nice". Now those who did know that, that's cool and for those who didn't, now you know. I guess it makes since that it means play nice since really that's what Lego are used for.

I thought it meant play well.

Youre right it does mean "play well"

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

plastic bricks and pieces you can use to make anything.

you can use what you make as a toy, finish it, pull it apart. make something else. or make something you really like and display it for an undetermined amount of time.

lego is the physical form of fun and creativity. and that being said, you're never too old for that.