The Chronicler

Dr. Lakata

Hey everyone! So I recently rediscovered Bionicle, and I was struck with a big wave of nostalgia for what was a massive part of my childhood. Ever since, I've been mentally floating about the idea of doing a reboot of the original story. In particular, I love the story as portrayed through the Mata Nui Online Game. I loved the why it gave us a view of this epic quest through the eyes of an average Matoran. 

So that's the direction I am going for here. I wrote a brief short story to showcase my style and idea. If folks like it, I'll see if I can't make more. If not then it can just die out in this forum. No harm, no foul.

Anyways, without further ado, here is The Chronicler. 

Balance.

It is the order of things. Nature’s order. The only real order there is. There are two sides to everything.

Fire and ice.

The ocean and the desert.

The towering heights and the great depths.

Light and darkness.

This duality is a necessity of life, for the truest way to understand something is through contrast. To know what something is, you must know what it is not.

Even balance and order have their counterpart: Chaos.

Though feared, there is a purpose to Chaos. It tears down the old so that the new can arise.

Without chaos and destruction, life grows stagnant, old, and set in its ways. Chaos forces life to adapt and evolve. And death is the scalpel through which chaos shapes life.

We flee death with such fervor, but death is merely the first step towards renewal and life.

Death is simply another part of the great balance.

My purpose is to observe this balance. To document it.

I am the Chronicler.

I am not like the others of my village. They seek only to do what they need to keep going. Routine has become their god, their protector. Like drones and beetles they scurry about, believing that if each does his duty, adheres to his responsibilities, we will all be safe.

I know better. I have seen the storm coming. It is merciless. It does not heed our duty. It does honor our unity. We cannot stay behind our walls and expect to it pass over us. We will be wiped away, like dust in the wind.

I have tried to tell them. They do not believe. Or rather, they choose to be blind. They fear me, because deep down they know I am right.

This is why I must leave. I must find help outside the walls of Ta-Koro if my home is to be saved. I must find others like me, who know what is coming.

I can only pray that I am not alone.

End

Edited by Dr. Lakata