Opinion on Makuta Returning in Bionicle 2015.

Questions about Makuta and Teridax  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here is a subject I've seen pop up a couple times in the various Bionicle 2015 topics, so I thought it would be good to make a poll out of it. Do you want Teridax to return in Bionicle 2015 as the main villain? If not, would you want another Makuta to be the main villain? And would want to see the Makuta species in Bionicle 2015? 

I say no to the first two questions. I believe Teridax's time in the storyline is over. He had a good run, but its time he stayed dead. I also wouldn't want to see another Makuta as the main villain, as I think it would be better to see a new threat in Bionicle 2015.

As for the third question, I wouldn't mind seeing the Makuta return as a species, but not as the main villains. (Not at first, anyway.) I think that, if they were brought back, they could be built up in story a little bit instead of just thrown into it like in the Karda Nui storyline.

These are my opinions on this, but I want to hear yours. What do you all say about this?

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Don't care, don't care, not sure.

I am not as opposed to Teridax's return as some people; in a reboot (which i 100% believe is what we're getting) anything goes, and new Teridax could be anything, so whether he or any other Makuta returns wouldn't matter to me as much as whether they would be interesting characters.

As for the species itself returning, I really don't know. Again, assuming there's a reboot, none of the species would necessarily return. For all we know, Toa and Matoran aren't things anymore--or, at least not the same as the originals. So what would the Makuta's return even mean? I really have no opinion.

AXKP5KC.png

Depends.

If it's a hard reboot, I wouldn't mind seeing Makuta return as the villain. For the love of God, though, don't make him part of a Makuta species, and do away with the name "Teridax." Nobody ever asked for that. Even if it's a hard reboot, though, I could still live with a new bunch of villains. 

Now if it's a continuation or soft reboot? No way, keep him out of there. For the one exception, here's my post on the matter from the Bionicle 2015 topic:

I like the idea of Makuta still being around, but not as a threat. What if some Matoran stumbles across all that remains of Makuta in a jungle somewhere, and he's been reduced to a powerless ghost of antidermis? Just floating around as a whisp for thousands of years, regretting what he's done. 

Could be kind of a haunting story, if done right. Perhaps some young Matoran has to go talk to him to learn some ancient knowledge relevant to the current storyline? 

• Upvote 2

Please, let him rest in piece. Find something new. There's more than one evil force in the world, get creative. The Makuta as a species were ridiculously OP anyways, it wouldn't even be fun 'cause the only way to avoid total curb stomp would be to severely limit them and then it's Phantoka all over again. Bionicle 2015 should have it's own thing, on the front lines and behind the scenes. I'm not sure how I feel about the Makuta showing up in general, but I just don't want a complete repeat of the past, unless of course it's a total reboot, in which case nevermind, good ol' Makuta would be a tremendously lovely villain to have, especially if he's actually given a character and some real menace rather than just sending minions for years on end and is just done better than the first time. It depends on what kind of story we're getting, really. If they can make it work, and do it well, I'm sure even the most adamant anti-Makuta folks will concede.

• Upvote 4

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I'd be up for seeing the Makuta return, whether it be Teridax or the whole species. 

do away with the name "Teridax." Nobody ever asked for that. 

Seriously? We're still going on about this? Honestly, I like the name Teridax even more than I liked him as "The Makuta." Makuta made him feel like he was really some evil, demonic, god-like entity, while Teridax fleshes out the evil in him, but grounds him a little more, which, in terms of the story, fit perfectly.

• Upvote 4

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Well, it was his only name for about eight years, so you can't expect people to be unattached to it. No one was exactly clamoring to give him a new one. (Even after they introduced the idea of "Makuta" as a species, which came way out of left field.) 

Not sure (depends on how/quality/etc.), not sure (same), and yes (since I hope it'll be a time-jump continuation, and I don't mind Miserix still being alive :P).

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

1) no, Teridax was a weak character and a weak villain

2) maybe, though if they brought back "Makuta" i'd sorta hope they choose to stick with keeping them (singular) like they were presented in the original story originally (kinda like the alternate, dark, balancing force to Mata-Nui rather than a power hungry scientist)

3) since i want a villain with a different personality, with more quality and effort put into them, and without the name Teridax, i suppose i sort of would rather have a new makuta if Lego is deadset on having them... and definitely not as a species.

• Upvote 2

Continuation: no

Reboot: yes, but not immediately. I'd like for some smaller villains to take stage first, and then Makuta pulling strings from behind the shadows. I feel like his character should be developed a little differently this time again, and taken in new directions.

I voted no on all of them. The Makuta are extinct (except for Miserix, who I would like to see more of), and bringing them back would be cheap and unnecessary. Velika is the obvious choice for a new villain. 

That's extremely unlikely even in the case that the new Bionicle is a continuation (which is also unlikely) since the whole Velika being a Great Being never even happened. And if it had happened, it would have been a serial thing. I think I can say with some degree of confidence that if they were going to make the story a continuation, they wouldn't make the main villain be a continuing thread from a storyline from a serial that started after Bionicle ended that never even mattered. That would be shooting themselves in the foot with a bazooka. Remember that accessibility to the storyline was a large part of why they ended it in the first place, they're most certainly not going to pull anything like this.

AXKP5KC.png

I voted no on all of them. The Makuta are extinct (except for Miserix, who I would like to see more of), and bringing them back would be cheap and unnecessary. Velika is the obvious choice for a new villain. 

That's extremely unlikely even in the case that the new Bionicle is a continuation (which is also unlikely) since the whole Velika being a Great Being never even happened. And if it had happened, it would have been a serial thing. I think I can say with some degree of confidence that if they were going to make the story a continuation, they wouldn't make the main villain be a continuing thread from a storyline from a serial that started after Bionicle ended that never even mattered. That would be shooting themselves in the foot with a bazooka. Remember that accessibility to the storyline was a large part of why they ended it in the first place, they're most certainly not going to pull anything like this.

Yep, the points have been made so hard. But I actually wouldn't go as far as to say Velika or that serial didn't matter. My idea is that Greg's original idea was to make the next story be a civil war with the Great Beings, and Velika being the central point of it all. That sounds like a pretty big deal, and it was suppose to involve Takanuva's ultimate destiny. But this doesn't feel like a story to me that would be used for a reboot, or a continuation that's been waited for almost years.

If it were a continuation I would strongly object to Teridax.

Since it's almost certainly a reboot, I'm not completely opposed to the idea of Teridax being there. Depends on how they reboot it. But definately not for the first year. It's been a while, but I wouldn't want the return of Bionicle to default to Teridax straight away. Save him for later when Lego have gotten a feel to how fans have reacted.

Since for most people Teridax is basically synonymous with Makuta, I don't think there should be a Makuta for a villain in 2015. I would be more open to the idea of a different Makuta later on though.

As for the Makuta actually existing in the new universe, I defo think they should in some way. They're such an important part of the lore they need to be acknowledged to some degree, preferably with a Makuta as a character in some way

• Upvote 2

I think it would be really neat if it does so happen to be that Bionicle 2015 is a continuation, that there was maybe some sort of partnership between the old Teridax and a new Teridax (or Makuta).

Like maybe the Great Beings mess up on one of their experiments or something like that and end up making a second Teridax, and the old Teridax takes him under his wing.

justin_verceles

I'm glad you all love me so much-

On topic though, if 2015 is a continuation. 

I'm on the fence about this. It would have to be done right, and definitely not right away. One idea I had was that Makuta proper actually wouldn't be present, but there could be a sort of pseudo-cult worship of Makuta, building him up as more of an ideal then a actual person.

On the other side, I would love a physical (or perhaps a gaseous) return of the big T, assuming it was handled correctly, wait a couple years for sure, then have him come in as either the main antagonist, although that might seem repetitive, or as someone said above, more of a regretful spirit type being who spends his time spooking matoran.

I can see the argument for both ways, and while I do personally hope for a return, I wouldn't be heartbroken without it.

• Upvote 4

-Kongu Champion Gukko Rider

"Two, Four, One, Ten, Two, Four, One, Ten. Am I Transmitting, Is Anyone Listening..?"

LEGO Universe Fan - BIONICLE Fan from 2001 - Discovered BZP in 2007

I personally support teridax returning, however though say there is a TV show I would want makuta to be built up until a big reveal, I would also want him to be portrayed like he was in mask of light.

I was never a big fan of MoL because it ruined a lot of characters for me, (including Teridax). 

Anyway, I support there still being some of the Makuta species in existence because having antidermis-based creatures always seemed like a really cool idea for me. But not any of the named ones that we've met so far. I want them to stay dead. 

bZpOwEr

I personally support teridax returning, however though say there is a TV show I would want makuta to be built up until a big reveal, I would also want him to be portrayed like he was in mask of light.

I was never a big fan of MoL because it ruined a lot of characters for me, (including Teridax). 

Well I quite liked how he was portrayed in that movie, he came off as very intimidating and I loved his voice, also he wasn't a total moron like later lego villains.

It's time to move on.

Well I quite liked how he was portrayed in that movie, he came off as very intimidating and I loved his voice, also he wasn't a total moron like later lego villains.

True, but I don't think that many self-respecting antagonists would challenge the main hero to a game of Kohli, rather than just fighting him. 

bZpOwEr

True, but I don't think that many self-respecting antagonists would challenge the main hero to a game of Kohli, rather than just fighting him. 

It was meant to draw a parallel between the Kohli game in the first act of the film. Yes, maybe Teridax should have just fought, but I don't really blame him for underestimating a novice Toa...

I think Teridax has had his day. He's easily my favorite BIONICLE villain, but he held that role for about 10 years. I wouldn't mind seeing someone different as the primary antagonist, someone not from the Makuta species.

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

I wouldn't want Teridax to return, since that was all we ever heard about before. And I'm pretty positive Teridax will not return, since Greg has repeatedly said he's very dead. As for the main villian, no, I don't want to see another Makuta. The only remaining Makuta we know of is Miserix (I don't count the light Teridax from the alt. universe because I'm pretty sure he won't become a villian), and Miserix seems to be going along with the Order of Mata Nui. But I'd still like to see the Makuta species, just because of the backstory they've got.

vartempsig.png

"Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Bob Dylan

Honestly, what I'd like to see in the case of a reboot is this.  Make a villain, give him a title or something generic (I know Hero Factory did some of this), then have the Matoran (or whatever) refer to him as such.  Have him be Makuta.  Just Makuta.  That's his name, he's one of a kind.  Have him grow more powerful as time goes on, make him a recurring threat (but not necessarily behind every year's villains).

He doesn't need to be Teridax, he doesn't need 42 powers, he doesn't need to be omnipotent.  He needs to be a threat, but he can develop into one.  Something like that is what I'd like to see.

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_small.jpg

I accidentally said yes, as am using a phone and my thumb slipped. The following is in the case of the continuity continuing unaltered and not a reboot.

No, Teridax should not come back and he had a fantastic run and an even more epic death. It is time for a new darkness to rise, let the malevolence rise anew with a new mask.

Same with the Makuta species; I see Miserix as an anti-hero, and Alt. Teridax is the yang to The Makuta's ying. Do something fresh, this time a being that isn't literally made out of darkness. :P

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I'd prefer Teridax not coming back from the dead. His part has been played out and we can focus the story on new villains. If an old villain has to come back, BIONICLE has a large pool to select from already. If it is a continuation, the Shadowed One could be good candidate for a big bad. The dark hunters have a lot of diversity in their numbers so they alone could be the central villains for a few years.

Also in mind that four of the Barraki are still around. The set designers could easily make new sets which the story team could just say, "Hey, these could be their unmutated forms!" Bam! There's a storyline for a year.

In short, I want new stories being told, not a repeat of old ones.

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

I just put I don't really care for all. Why? Because I don't mind what happens. Reboot-wise, Teridax returning could be alright. Continuation-wise, I'd rather he stayed dead but having some cult following his teachings or whatever stand up to be villains could be a good plot-point as well. Even if it means having another Makuta.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Teridax and the Makuta have been the villains for a good while, as most of you have said. Thus, seeing a few rogue Makuta could be a possibility but it wouldn't be bad it they returned in some manner, as reprogrammed beings that are set out to do their original tasks before they rebelled. A totally new villain is deserving of an appearance though, to keep things interesting.

As Sharnak said, the Barraki or TSO would be a crazy good choice for future antagonists.

I'd prefer Teridax not coming back from the dead. His part has been played out and we can focus the story on new villains. If an old villain has to come back, BIONICLE has a large pool to select from already. If it is a continuation, the Shadowed One could be good candidate for a big bad. The dark hunters have a lot of diversity in their numbers so they alone could be the central villains for a few years.

Also in mind that four of the Barraki are still around. The set designers could easily make new sets which the story team could just say, "Hey, these could be their unmutated forms!" Bam! There's a storyline for a year.

In short, I want new stories being told, not a repeat of old ones.

An idea for a reboot could be the Toa Mata facing the six Barraki and their armies. I do like you suggestion to branch out the Dark Hunters, too. It could be done similarly to the Breakout line (only, with a less stupid-looking titan).

Anything to keep Teridax's legacy strong.

Edited by Gathered Friends
  • Upvote 1

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this