What is the face thing that Takua comes out of at the end of MNOG?

fishers64

Your question had me curious enough to do some exploring over at BS01. The "Bohrok Nest Portal" was destroyed after the Bohrok cleansed the island of Mata Nui. I checked the page for the "Great Telescope" as well, just curious if that got torn apart after the Bohrok razed the island. The telescope remained intact following the cleansing, and the reason for this is cited as "it was a pre-existing part of Mata Nui." Bearing that in mind, it stands to reason that the portal was created following the spillage of Energized Protodermis during the Great Cataclysm. I am not sure if Great Beings or Matoran built the Bohrok nests, but the destruction of the portal face suggests neither party constructed it as an exit route. While it is not specified if the portal face and the long passageway are both destroyed, the kinetic bubble would have jettisoned the user out into space. This opens up the possibility that the passageway could be safely used if the robot's camouflage was in use, which makes sense if the portal was intended for Bohrok use. That is a complicated theory though, and I will explain why.

If the kinetic bubble passageway was built for Bohrok to quickly reach the camouflage surface to wipe it clean, either the Bohrok simply chose not to pursue Takua back to the Ta-Wahi beach, or something else came into play. We can see a few different tunnels branching off the one Takua is flying through during his passage back to the surface. Is the kinetic bubble's path dependent upon the user? Can it register what kind of creature is using it? We only see Takua make use of it, but Takua has a connection to the Bohrok. They are former Av-Matoran, and he is an Av-Matoran. Inversely, the golden device may have simply "registered" Takua as a non-Bohrok entity and the path to Ta-Wahi was the chosen route for that designation.

Here is where I really take a leap with the speculation. Saying the answer to your first question is no, we can chalk things up to "this was a game, and the developers thought it would be a quick, simple way of getting the protagonist back where he needed to be safely."

But if we can say it is a yes, and the portal is stated to have been destroyed by the Bohrok (for the sake of simplicity, I would say the theory could reach to include the passageway being destroyed), then it was a product of the Energized Protodermis. More importantly, a product of destiny. Takua has the key, he uses it, and he travels away from harm. However, the answer to why his specific return path is chosen for him and the Bohrok do not appear to utilize it…well, that is where the complication arises. A "computer" in the golden sphere makes sense in a universe within a colossal robot. To me, anyway.

So, I narrowed things down to a few conclusions.

1.) A convenient online game developer plot device.

2.) A destined saving grace for one adventurous Matoran.

3.) A kinetic bubble "computer" with path determination features. It would still make Takua outrageously lucky, but this is 2001 Bionicle. The good guys win in the end.

At any rate, this is my first S&T post in years and I probably overlooked or misread something. /disclaimer

-Ced

• Upvote 1

We know there are "Bohrok vents" throughout the island. My guess is this is the exit of one (since it leads from a nest), but one that the camouflage island happened not to entirely cover up (perhaps due to being triggered accidentally), and the Matoran saw a tunnel hole, and built the statue over it to decorate it. :shrugs:

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Your question had me curious enough to do some exploring over at BS01. The "Bohrok Nest Portal" was destroyed after the Bohrok cleansed the island of Mata Nui. I checked the page for the "Great Telescope" as well, just curious if that got torn apart after the Bohrok razed the island. The telescope remained intact following the cleansing, and the reason for this is cited as "it was a pre-existing part of Mata Nui." Bearing that in mind, it stands to reason that the portal was created following the spillage of Energized Protodermis during the Great Cataclysm. I am not sure if Great Beings or Matoran built the Bohrok nests, but the destruction of the portal face suggests neither party constructed it as an exit route. While it is not specified if the portal face and the long passageway are both destroyed, the kinetic bubble would have jettisoned the user out into space. This opens up the possibility that the passageway could be safely used if the robot's camouflage was in use, which makes sense if the portal was intended for Bohrok use. That is a complicated theory though, and I will explain why.

[...]

But if we can say it is a yes, and the portal is stated to have been destroyed by the Bohrok (for the sake of simplicity, I would say the theory could reach to include the passageway being destroyed), then it was a product of the Energized Protodermis. More importantly, a product of destiny. Takua has the key, he uses it, and he travels away from harm. However, the answer to why his specific return path is chosen for him and the Bohrok do not appear to utilize it…well, that is where the complication arises. A "computer" in the golden sphere makes sense in a universe within a colossal robot. To me, anyway.

So, I narrowed things down to a few conclusions.

1.) A convenient online game developer plot device.

2.) A destined saving grace for one adventurous Matoran.

3.) A kinetic bubble "computer" with path determination features. It would still make Takua outrageously lucky, but this is 2001 Bionicle. The good guys win in the end.

At any rate, this is my first S&T post in years and I probably overlooked or misread something. /disclaimer

-Ced

I actually think that this is sound reasoning. The problem is, we don't know that the kinetic machine was destroyed by the Bohrok nor that it was created by the EP. It could be, but we don't know that it is.  

I wonder how Onewa got possession of the key to unlocking that exit...

If bones' theory is correct and the Matoran built the face for that door, then they would have found it in the building process. 

However, I'm not sure that they did. The door seems to be built into the kinetic system, since it opens when Takua passes through. This would point to the door face being made of EP. If that is the case, then the key could have appeared somewhere else on the island where Onewa could find it. 

The Turaga very well could have explored Bohrok nests on their own time, probably while hunting Kraata. He probably found it in the nest. They knew about the Bohrok already.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I imagine it to simply be a fail safe in case any matoran or beings stumbled inside and got trapped in the nests. The only problem with this is how they would manage to have the key. The Skeleton Man brings up a good point about the key.

ONEWA IZ ILLUMINATI GUYZ ITZ TRUE THE ZECRETZ HAVE BEEN REVEALED OMG DIZ CHANGEZ EVERYTHINGZ AHHH

We know there are "Bohrok vents" throughout the island. My guess is this is the exit of one (since it leads from a nest), but one that the camouflage island happened not to entirely cover up (perhaps due to being triggered accidentally), and the Matoran saw a tunnel hole, and built the statue over it to decorate it. :shrugs:

IMO the "Bohrok vents" part is the most likely explanation, but I don't think the Matoran built the statue, or at the very least not for the reason you suggest. It doesn't seem like a sensible reaction to finding a tunnel hole to me. Sensible reactions are (a) trying to explore the tunnel (cautiously perhaps, but the Matoran were clearly not too afraid of tunnels seeing as they built Onu-Koro and a system of highways to connect the villages), (b) leaving the tunnel be because you're scared of it, or © erecting some kind of guard outpost in front of the tunnel because you're REALLY scared of it and are afraid some kind of threat might come out.

What seems far more likely to me is that the Great Beings created it as part of the camouflage system and the Bohrok nests. One might wonder why they'd build a statue of a giant head (actually it seems to be a crude Hau, the symbol of Mata Nui, but that's a little off-topic) when all they needed to do was cover up the hole, but one could ask the same questions about Kini-Nui and we know they created that place. In fact, I find it highly unlikely that the Great Beings would leave the exit of a Bohrok vent uncovered on the one hand but build the Suva Kaita to cover up the tunnel to Mangaia on the other: they didn't want to have any natives of whatever planet Mata Nui was observing, exploring his camouflage system and finding out how to enter the robot. So they covered the tunnel to Mangaia up with some kind of temple, and they would've done the same with the Bohrok nests (except with a statue instead of a temple).

I wonder how Onewa got possession of the key to unlocking that exit...

That's a good question. Onewa doesn't say anything about how he got it in MNOLG, he only says "It's the symbol of our greatest carvers.", but as it turns out many of the objects that were mysteriously present on Mata Nui were actually placed there by Artakha. It seems likely that he would've somehow made sure the chisel ended up on the island of Mata Nui since the Toa Mata could've used it to set the Bohrok free in case they were trapped.

I'm going to try an combine some of y'all theories here.

I say the GB created it as one of the "Bohrok Vents", as Bonesii stated, but they also covered it up, much like the Kini-Nui path as stated by Thormen. Since Mata Nui crashed onto Aqua Mange, the device in the nest could have been damaged, and given how close the EP was to the Bohrok Nest, see the Toa Mata becoming the Toa Nuva, I say that part was pushed up by the tunnel extending due to the EP created the island. That would explain how it was left undamaged by it. It would have most likely remained in the tunnel until it was found. I can't find who mentioned the Turaga exploring the tunnels while looking for Kraata, but the Turaga could have very well explored the many passages on the island. That way they would know of any danger near their villages. Vakama, while exploring this tunnel, could have found the piece, and thinking it looked like a chisel, "called" Onewa to give it to him and possible carve the statue around it to give it some significance to the Matoran of Ta-Koro. 

FoF

Credit to ~the Big X~ for avatar

The door seems to be built into the kinetic system, since it opens when Takua passes through. This would point to the door face being made of EP. If that is the case, then the key could have appeared somewhere else on the island where Onewa could find it.

The Turaga very well could have explored Bohrok nests on their own time, probably while hunting Kraata. He probably found it in the nest. They knew about the Bohrok already.

[The Great Beings] didn't want to have any natives of whatever planet Mata Nui was observing, exploring his camouflage system and finding out how to enter the robot.

[...]

Onewa doesn't say anything about how he got it in MNOLG, he only says "It's the symbol of our greatest carvers.", but as it turns out many of the objects that were mysteriously present on Mata Nui were actually placed there by Artakha. It seems likely that he would've somehow made sure the chisel ended up on the island of Mata Nui since the Toa Mata could've used it to set the Bohrok free in case they were trapped.

Putting two and two together from all that, here is what I have gathered. Artakha could have placed the chisel near (or in) the Bohrok nests. Before becoming a Turaga, Onewa could have simply stumbled upon the chisel and decided to hold on to it. We know that the portal face was destroyed, so it is very likely that was not meant to be there. Whether EP or Matoran built it, we know it is gone. This still leaves some wiggle room regarding the spherical opening piece, however. It is too bad the MNOLG ends there, because we do not know if the spherical entryway would have reopened if Takua returned to it from the outside. If it did not reopen, even with the chisel in place down below, then it stands to reason that it was designed to keep out "alien intruders" while simultaneously acting as a gateway to the outside for those living in the robot. If it did reopen, well, that seems like bad engineering.

-Ced

Oh right, I forgot that it was destroyed by the Bohrok... But I am still opposed to the idea of the Matoran constructing the face for the reasons outlined above. I'm gonna go with the EP spill creating the face then: IMO the face is not that much different from the trees of Le-Wahi, the glaciers of Ko-Wahi and all the other parts of Mata Nui that were created by the EP spill and destroyed by the Bohrok: they're elaborate lifelike creations come into existence to hide Mata Nui by making his face seem like a tropical island.