Tahu's Adaptive Armour

Yes. It's been said that the extra armor on his Stars form is the AA in default mode.

Really? I'm not sure about it, I thought he was transformed back to a Toa Mata, "his original form" as described in 2010 so he shouldn't have the AA anymore.

4)When Tahu transformed back to Toa Mata, what happened to launcher weapon that came with Adaptive Armor (the one which used to be a Nynrah Ghost Launcher)? 

4) He still had an adaptive weapon and adaptive armor

I choose to ignore his devolution and instead prefer that Tahu's in his Nuva form but with new golden mask and armour.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I thought he was transformed back to a Toa Mata, "his original form" as described in 2010 so he shouldn't have the AA anymore.

Being a Toa Mata has nothing to do with wearing Adaptive Armor or not. Remember he was converted by the Mask of Life. The armor isn't alive so isn't likely to be transformed by it (especially with the new limitation). True, Bionicle transformations often involve objects they carry or wear (like the Toa Tools), but it isn't a rule that they must be. Basically the mask transformed Tahu himself, and his tool while it was at it, but not the AA.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Information on how canon the Stars are is muddy and contradicts itself several times over and we and BS01 all seam to collectively refuse to try to make any sense of it.

The aggregate understanding I can garner is that yes, Tahu's adaptive armour still functions as he wears the golden armour over top of it.
The red and orange armour parts which get replaced by the gold armour on his set must have just folded away, though he may have replaced his mask.

And if anyone tries to tell you that the Stars set looks different from the 2001 set, just plug your ears and go "LALALALALALALALALALALA"

• Upvote 1

The aggregate understanding I can garner is that yes, Tahu's adaptive armour still functions as he wears the golden armour over top of it.

The red and orange armour parts which get replaced by the gold armour on his set must have just folded away, though he may have replaced his mask.

I feel as if only the mask was replaced, much in the same way when they collected the masks to begin off with. That of course means that Tahu had to had another Suva built on Metru Nui in order for it to work. (I think it was stated that a Suva was needed in order to store masks.) I feel as if the Golden Armor just covers his AA, and would be unaffected if his AA still worked. That right there is the true question, does Tahu still have working adaptive armor?

FoF

Credit to ~the Big X~ for avatar

Why would Tahu's adaptive armor be broken?

Battle damage?

In theory, yeah that could do it. 

What I was referring to was Friend of Fire's post though. The comic image shows Tahu's AA fully functional before his transformation, and the GregF quote above says he has it afterwards, so I'm not sure why it would be busted. 

Who says his Adaptive Armor has to adapt to the desert? For all we know, the Adaptive Armor adapted to accommodate for the Golden Armor, which was designed for Tahu Mata long before Artakha invented the Adaptive Armor. Adaptive Armor doesn't necessarily adapt to the natural environment, it can also adapt to the specific needs the Toa has in his current situation: Lewa's and Pohatu's Adaptive Armor also changed upon mounting the Axalara and Jetrax. Mata Nui transformed him back to his Mata form specifically because he needed to be in that form to wear the Golden Armor, so it would make sense the Adaptive Armor would change him into something that was as close to his original Mata form as possible.

Plus, here's what Greg said about the desert form of the Adaptive Armor:

1) What would the Adaptive Armor's Desert Form look like? I was thinking it'd be similar to the armor's default form except with minor alterations; such as sandfilters on the mask's eyes and mouthpiece, shaded eyepieces to keep out the sun, a back-mounted hydration pack, and extra seals on the joints to keep out the sand. What do you think?

1) That makes sense.

2) When Lewa arrived on Bota Magna, did his AA adapt to the Jungle environment? And if so, what extra features do you think it would it possess?

2) I would say maybe some internal cooling system (as the desert form would have had too), and possibly cutting implements that could be used to get through dense vegetation, and maybe some form of radar to help spot things since you can't see very far in a jungle.

(from page 415 of the "Chat with Greg Farshtey")

I don't think the extra seals on the joints and the internal cooling system are things that look very differently from the outside, and the sand filters and shaded eyepieces are features of Tahu's mask, which was replaced with a golden mask. That only leaves the back-mounted hydration pack, which doesn't necessarily have to be included in the set since the Takua & Pewku and Hahli sets never featured any backpack resp. satchel either, things they clearly had in-story.

IMO Tahu's Adaptive Armor probably changed into something that looked as much like his 2001 Mata form as possible to accommodate for the Golden Armor, while adding extra seals on the joints and an internal cooling system (things we wouldn't notice anyway) and a hydration pack on his back (the only noticeable detail that hasn't been featured on his set or drawn in the comics).

Edit: I guess 'accomodate' isn't a word.

Edited by Thormen

Tahu has so much armor on now, jeez. Doesn't he get... hot in there? xD

-NotS

He should be the least of your concerns. The entire, non-protodermic, naturally organic species of Agori (or vast majority), Glatorian, etc. had metal armor added to them, and survived in a desert for 100,000 years. :P Tahu's a Toa of Fire, so he has innate heat resistance anyways, and the other five's AA could presumably help against the heat by various means.

I think they just used the Adaptive Armor as an excuse for why his new Mata form was built using an Av-Toran torso and without a gear function.

Well, yeah, but you make it sound like a bad thing? The story has always had "excuses" (explanations) for set transformations. That's how we could get new sets. :P

Okay, not always; a few slipups due to technical rules existed, like Tahu Star's form being shown in a flashback in the canisters 100,000 years ago, but these almost always created more problems than they solved. It's like HF's "excuse" of upgrades for new missions, or the EP for Toa Nuva 03 etc.

Also, it was a Toa Nuva form, not Mata, when the AA was introduced, in 2008. You may be confusing that with the Stars form in 2010.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think they just used the Adaptive Armor as an excuse for why his new Mata form was built using an Av-Toran torso and without a gear function.

Actually TLG didn't seem to feel the need to explain why Gresh, the Skrall and Takanuva were built differently as Stars (and assuming Nektann and the Rahkshi of Laser Vision are supposed to look like the Piraka and the Rahkshi of 2003, you can extend that argument to them as well), so I don't think they were trying to force an excuse for Tahu's appearance out of the story. I think it's more likely the Ignika devolving him to his Mata form was an excuse to feature Tahu Mata among the Stars.

He should be the least of your concerns. The entire, non-protodermic, naturally organic species of Agori (or vast majority), Glatorian, etc. had metal armor added to them, and survived in a desert for 100,000 years. :P Tahu's a Toa of Fire, so he has innate heat resistance anyways, and the other five's AA could presumably help against the heat by various means.

I'm pretty sure NotS was making a joke there ;)