toajomo

thok_by_bonzo970-d7msy07.jpg

A sketch of Thok I did a few months ago. Let me know what you think.

• Upvote 6

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

:smilepohatunu: chimoru2015spinnie.gif

Credit to Click for the awesome Bionicle 2015 spinnie!

Hey, you've got some very nice perspective going on with the Zamor launcher, and the upper body in general has a strong, dynamic pose, and it really gets the attitude of the Piraka across. I feel like a bit of that power, and the interesting angles, are lost once you get to the legs, especially since the feet look like they're missing the same careful placement on the page that the hands recieved. So, consider experimenting with some different leg angles and poses, and watch out for the angle of the hips - we humans have a habit of adjusting our characters to face directly towards us. When you don't think too hard about the pose you're putting a character in, you may suddenly notice that they, or parts of them, are a few degrees closer to a 90 degree angle to the viewer than you intended. I know I've dealt with that before.
I also notice that you've simplified the spine somewhat, but it still works, because you've captured the curving, arcing shape of the piraka spines very well, so it leans on a sort of stylized, action-y look, which you might actually consider persuing further. I also notice you've given the teeth a slight angle, so Thok's mouth has a concave shape, in contrast to the rather flat surface the physical sets present. It's a nice touch.

• Upvote 1

Hey, you've got some very nice perspective going on with the Zamor launcher, and the upper body in general has a strong, dynamic pose, and it really gets the attitude of the Piraka across. I feel like a bit of that power, and the interesting angles, are lost once you get to the legs, especially since the feet look like they're missing the same careful placement on the page that the hands recieved. So, consider experimenting with some different leg angles and poses, and watch out for the angle of the hips - we humans have a habit of adjusting our characters to face directly towards us. When you don't think too hard about the pose you're putting a character in, you may suddenly notice that they, or parts of them, are a few degrees closer to a 90 degree angle to the viewer than you intended. I know I've dealt with that before.

I also notice that you've simplified the spine somewhat, but it still works, because you've captured the curving, arcing shape of the piraka spines very well, so it leans on a sort of stylized, action-y look, which you might actually consider persuing further. I also notice you've given the teeth a slight angle, so Thok's mouth has a concave shape, in contrast to the rather flat surface the physical sets present. It's a nice touch.

Thanks for the good review! I noticed the feet too late in the process of drawing it...that happens more often than you might think, especially when going for an upper body shot and you make it too small. The teeth, spine, and zamor all were little things I picked up from the artwork of Stuart Sayger. He didn't do detailed very often, but his drama and emotive lighting was perfect for the piraka so I always draw them with Sayger-esque appearance.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

:smilepohatunu: chimoru2015spinnie.gif

Credit to Click for the awesome Bionicle 2015 spinnie!