Comprehensive Bionicle Alternate Model Database

Volitak_Boxor

In looking for other things, I found that Flickr user kuhon shaden made instructions for several of the Bionicle contest winners. Some of them already have had instructions posted in the thread (indeed some like Krakua and Kyry had instructions made by their creators IIRC) but it's still a good find anyways.

Of the ones that I don't think instructions have been posted for in the thread already (though I may have missed them) there is:

Dark Hunter Mimic

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/sets/72157688127784415

Dark Hunter Darkness

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/sets/72157688127784425

Dark Hunter Silence

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/sets/72157688277314451

Dark Hunter Shadow Stealer

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/sets/72157682495075834

Dark Hunter Ravager

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/sets/72157664530285348

Dark Hunter Savage

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/sets/72157690642083931

• Upvote 1

Also, with the recent release of The Legend of Mata Nui game's alpha, I'd really like to know if that means we have models/better imagery of some of the non-set models of that game, or at least the Fikou Nui. Going through the recent Twitch stream, there seemed to be scorpions from the canon GBA game appropriately nearby a Nui-Jaga boss.

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

Also, with the recent release of The Legend of Mata Nui game's alpha, I'd really like to know if that means we have models/better imagery of some of the non-set models of that game, or at least the Fikou Nui. Going through the recent Twitch stream, there seemed to be scorpions from the canon GBA game appropriately nearby a Nui-Jaga boss.

I assume we'll get some better angles later after people have dug through more of the files, but we do have some better images of the Fikou Nui. Here's one from the Beaverhouse's Discord and one from another source.

https://imgur.com/a/rWATM

Edited by Yeow
  • Upvote 2

I assume we'll get some better angles later after people have dug through more of the files, but we do have some better images of the Fikou Nui. Here's one from the Beaverhouse's Discord and one from another source.

https://i.imgur.com/0EMcsz6.png

https://i.imgur.com/wZpA4tQ.png

YES. May just Bricklink it now considering we have a more accurate idea of the construction. Thanks for alerting me of this :D

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

About Fikou Nui, my friend built him slightly ahead of me (I didn't wanted to waste parts on him yet as my budget is tight):

2fa027dddb_104689021_o2.jpg

There are some inacuracies, but perhaps it could help you.

Btw, anyone knows how to extract models from the LOMN?

Edited by kocour454

Was going to wait to make new post after I made Conjurer instructions but with the Legend of Mata-Nui news, thought I should post. I really hope to see more pictures of Rahi from the game as well. Saw what looked to be Muaka cubs, or maye a lesser Muaka in Ko-Wahi. Was also able to grab a screenshot of a bat in Ta-Wahi that I might be able to build, but I'd like to see it from another angle to be sure.

In other news unrelated to Rahi, we have new Matoran! And several of them are possible to build as well! I was only able to see The Beaverstream's stream (might be able to use an old computer to fire it up myself), but was still able to find quite a few new ones. Unfortunately, all the Onu-Matoran shown are purple masked, which means no new ones can be made through purist means. Also the stream did not find any Le-Matoran. Of those that the stream did find, I did a break down. Some "new" color combinations to note as well.

ZA2e3IL.png

zsyIJ7c.png

qxc4kzO.png

uc0GE7m.png

Again, no Onu-Matoran are possible using existing parts, but I'll include this anyways.

eHZHhwY.png

Wonder if there are other secrets hidden away in the game.

• Upvote 1

Huh, so should we include even the unnamed Matoran models featured in media? I assume we don't count like, all of the palette swap movie ones.

Yeow also sent me some more images of the Fikou Nui so thanks man!

https://imgur.com/a/rWATM

Hey so just wondering is anyone has already got instructions for the khanoi dragon if not ill try to make a set

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

Hey so just wondering is anyone has already got instructions for the khanoi dragon if not ill try to make a set

If someone has made them, we are unaware of it. Should be noted that we are also only aware of one image of it (the official contest photo used in the guide) and it is unfortunately extremely small and obscures part of the model.

The only person I've seen build a relatively close replica of it is the runner of the TahuNuva2 blog. However, many of his replicas have some obvious inaccuracies (example: some contest winner replicas use CCBS parts). Their Kanohi dragon contains a few obvious errors just looking at it: 1) It uses the Matoran Marhi blade, a part not made until three years after the contest. 2) The head uses an orange Gali claw as opposed to the correct Orange Onua claw. 3) It uses the Bright red Metruan torso from Turaga, which was not released until after the submissions for the contest were closed. 4) The forelegs are missing the red Gali claw on them. 5) The silver bohrok eyes used for teeth are absent, 6) Bizarrely, the kanohi for which the creature is named are also absent.

There are likely numerous other issues with parts and colors. While their replica isn't bad, it is inaccurate to the original.

If someone has made them, we are unaware of it. Should be noted that we are also only aware of one image of it (the official contest photo used in the guide) and it is unfortunately extremely small and obscures part of the model.

The only person I've seen build a relatively close replica of it is the runner of the TahuNuva2 blog. However, many of his replicas have some obvious inaccuracies (example: some contest winner replicas use CCBS parts). Their Kanohi dragon contains a few obvious errors just looking at it: 1) It uses the Matoran Marhi blade, a part not made until three years after the contest. 2) The head uses an orange Gali claw as opposed to the correct Orange Onua claw. 3) It uses the Bright red Metruan torso from Turaga, which was not released until after the submissions for the contest were closed. 4) The forelegs are missing the red Gali claw on them. 5) The silver bohrok eyes used for teeth are absent, 6) Bizarrely, the kanohi for which the creature is named are also absent.

There are likely numerous other issues with parts and colors. While their replica isn't bad, it is inaccurate to the original.

Yeah i guess your right even just looking at what photos we have got i just cant tell how mant masks there actually are on the set as we cant see one side of it and how the masks are attached in an overlapping pattern is really confusing

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

Yeah i guess your right even just looking at what photos we have got i just cant tell how mant masks there actually are on the set as we cant see one side of it and how the masks are attached in an overlapping pattern is really confusing

While we're on the topic of Rahi from The Legend of Mata Nui (and Quest for the Toa, for that matter), I was just trying to recreate the Small Bug, Scorpion, and Fikou-Nui in LEGO Digital Designer.  Given the fact that I could only work with screenshots currently publicly available on the internet (since I do not have the software necessary to view the models in a 3D viewer), I'm sure there are a few inaccuracies... plus the lack of BIONICLE heads and masks in LDD means that there is a simple placeholder used instead.  But, it's considerably closer to the original model than the recreation by kocour454's friend, so you might still find it useful as a "starting ground" for constructing the Fikou-Nui model and instructions for this database.

Also there's an additional disembodied Fikou-Nui leg in there for reference purposes so please just ignore that.

https://brickshelf.com/gallery/SJPlego/LDD/Extended/tlomn_rahi.png

[LXF download link]

Edited by PeabodySam
Fixed post formatting.
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately the LOMN model for the Fikou Nui omits some of the elements necessary for connecting the main body to the leg/abdomen assembly, so I haven't been able to 100% figure it out either, even being able to look closely at the model for reference. Yours is pretty close, though - the biggest thing is that the part that the eyes and roborider head attach onto is actually a roborider body part - this one. That part isn't in LDD, but I approximated it and built around that.

As an aside, it turns out the big bugs in QftT are actually built mostly the same as the Fikou Nui, just minus the abdomen and with much smaller legs. So I've got them both in this LXF.

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

On 2/17/2018 at 12:01 PM, Pereki said:

As an aside, it turns out the big bugs in QftT are actually built mostly the same as the Fikou Nui, just minus the abdomen and with much smaller legs.

Very interesting!  I can't believe I've never noticed that the Electric Spider and Fikou-Nui share the same basic build... then again, since we've only seen one from tiny sprites and the other from a single screenshot and a low-resolution video (up until last weekend), perhaps it shouldn't be that surprising after all.  Either that, or it's a real testament to how much adding a large toothy lower jaw changes the design from rather cute (i.e. Electric Spider) to rather monstrous (i.e. Fikou-Nui).

Good call with the Roborider body piece.  I know I've previously had to work around its exclusion from LDD when building the Muaka, Kane-Ra, and Kuma-Nui for the Eurobricks "Official LEGO Sets made in LDD" index... and it's a bit of a pain to retain both its shape and functionality.  Surprising that unique Technic elements such as this haven't been seen in years (the most likely reason for its exclusion from LDD); I imagine it could be useful.

Edited by PeabodySam
Fixed post formatting.
  • Upvote 1

As The Beaverstream was able to find a fix to get to Le-Koro, I made a page on the Le-Matoran there.

f3MZu6b.png

Bizarrely, teal does not appear on and Le-Mataoran in the game, though this could just be an issue with it still being in alpha. It is possible that the one with Green Miru and Green feet was intended to be Kongu, though he talks more about his missing blue spider than about any birds.

As an aside, it turns out the big bugs in QftT are actually built mostly the same as the Fikou Nui, just minus the abdomen and with much smaller legs.

Very interesting!  I can't believe I've never noticed that the Electric Spider and Fikou-Nui share the same basic build... then again, since we've only seen one from tiny sprites and the other from a single screenshot and a low-resolution video (up until last weekend), perhaps it shouldn't be that surprising after all.  Either that, or it's a real testament to how much adding a large toothy lower jaw changes the design from rather cute (i.e. Electric Spider) to rather monstrous (i.e. Fikou-Nui).

Good call with the Roborider body piece.  I know I've previously had to work around its exclusion from LDD when building the Muaka, Kane-Ra, and Kuma-Nui for the Eurobricks "Official LEGO Sets made in LDD" index... and it's a bit of a pain to retain both its shape and functionality.  Surprising that unique Technic elements such as this haven't been seen in years (the most likely reason for its exclusion from LDD); I imagine it could be useful.

You mean the Cliff Bugs?

QftT_Rahi_Cliff_Bug.PNG

So any other Rahi that have models in TLOMN that I should know about? Are we able to see closeup images of all those other models like the Scorpion as we did with the Fikou Nui?

@Transparency for Effect

There are multiple bats (granted they all have the same build, just with different colors) One of them in the files is "ibat" and considering they appear in Ko-Wahi I'm pretty sure these are meant to be Ice bats. As the Ice bats in Ko-Metru lack any sort of image, I think they are a good place holder. There is also a Red bat in Ta-Wahi and a Black bat in Onu-wahi.

There is also a Turtle which has not ever appeared in any other media to my knowledge (data>characters>turt), a snake which is basically just the head and neck of a Muaka (data>characters>ssss), a creature that looks like a small Muaka but has an extending torso, not an extending neck (data>characters>swrat), a small fish with the ball gears as a propeller for a tail (data>characters>tf02) the "fang Ussual" (data>characters>crb1) which we already knew about, a small scorpion (data>characters>isrp) which we already knew about in Peabody Sam's image, and of course the Fikou-Nui. After that, all the other rahi have shown up in other media, most having official sets.

Unfortunately I do not know how to get the colors to work correctly on the programs I use, so they just show up as a white mass. Was able to get one of the people to try and render the snake on The Beaverhouse discord.

mM29xHT.png

Feels a little strange with white eyes and black body with not other color change than the grey fangs, but it might be an alpha issue. I've not seen it in any game footage to prove otherwise.

Slightly unrelated but the Technic, liftarm 1x2 thin did not exist until 2002. I believe the part holing the Fikou-Nui's eyes is more likely to be a Technic, liftarm 1X3 thin. The 3D game model also seems to support this, as there is a gap between the eyes and the roborider part the lift arm attaches too, which would not be present if a 1X2 liftarm was used.

Edited by KYM Jacob

On 2/18/2018 at 11:53 AM, Transparency for Effect said:

You mean the Cliff Bugs?

QftT_Rahi_Cliff_Bug.PNG

No, I meant what I said: the Electric Spiders (named here).

QftT_Rahi_Blue_Ant.PNG

Note that the Electric Spider and Fikou-Nui share the "Roborider head" abdomen and "ball joint" eyes.  Aside from that, it's admittedly difficult to see any more similarities from the tiny sprite size, but it does lend enough weight to Pereki's hypothesis that it seems rather likely that the rest of their bodies (minus the larger abdomen, legs, and jaws of the Fikou-Nui) should be built very similarly.

Judging from Pereki's recreation, the Cliff Bug has a considerably different and much simpler build compared to the Electric Spider and Fikou-Nui.

EDIT: I figured I'd share a preview of what I've been working on recently...

EDIT (again): Well, since my project fell by the wayside a while ago, I'll just share the LXF files for QftT Rahi and TLoMN Rahi.

Edited by PeabodySam
Fixed post formatting.

• 1 month later...

You mean the Cliff Bugs?

QftT_Rahi_Cliff_Bug.PNG

No, I meant what I said: the Electric Spiders (named here).

QftT_Rahi_Blue_Ant.PNG

Note that the Electric Spider and Fikou-Nui share the "Roborider head" abdomen and "ball joint" eyes.  Aside from that, it's admittedly difficult to see any more similarities from the tiny sprite size, but it does lend enough weight to Pereki's hypothesis that it seems rather likely that the rest of their bodies (minus the larger abdomen, legs, and jaws of the Fikou-Nui) should be built very similarly.

Judging from Pereki's recreation, the Cliff Bug has a considerably different and much simpler build compared to the Electric Spider and Fikou-Nui.

EDIT: I figured I'd share a preview of what I've been working on recently...

Oh are those all Rahi found in TLOMN files? Is that one at the left a lion or something?

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone maybe try to reverse-engineer this one? 

I've only been able to find this: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=427914

Thanks in advance

So I've actually gotten some parts to try and do this (still need a few more). However, as near as I can tell, some of the build methods are a little further past illegal than I would like.

The back legs use the technic ball joint (32474) with the silver Bionicle Toa Pohatu Lower Arm Section (60917). However, the way the arm is molded, the ball cannot really stay in this position without either stressing part of the arm a significant bit or without stressing the rod that holds the ball im place, and losing it's clutch power to the ball. You could cut that part off the arm, as it is hidden, though I'm not willing to do that quite yet with my parts. Alternatively, you could increase the rod length that holds the ball so it's further up the leg and not conflicting with this, but then is starts to mess up with the way the double Y joint sits in the leg.

The next issue is with the shoulders. Because of the way the two Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular Double Split (41678) parts are attached to the Technic, Liftarm 1 x 7 Bent (4 - 4) Thick (32348) they will inherently create a large amount of stress on the liftarm, as they overlap in their occupational space with each other. This amount of stress makes me fear that it will cause at least one of the parts to break. The only real way I can see to fix this would be to break the center most rod holsters of each of the Axel and pin connectors (41678) so they nolonger have overlap.

Because of both of these issues, I've shelved trying to build this one at the moment. Maybe someone knows of some newer technic parts that could be substituted to still have the same "feel" of the build while not having to cut any parts or having to stress the elements to an extreme degree. I would love to build it, even if modifications are needed so it doesn't break.

Also I found that Flickr user Vahki6 has also made instructions for Lurker, the Hordika Dragons and the Proto Drake.

Dark Hunter Lurker

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/albums/72157694074146325

Dark Hunter Hordika Dragon

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/albums/72157694990478215

Rahi Guide Proto Drake

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/albums/72157666299975218

Edited by KYM Jacob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, anyone tried to recreate the Volo Lutu Launcher we saw in LoMN? It looks ​simple enough, but when I tried to recreate it, it proved challenging to figure out the gear sizes and what pins they attached with and whether or not there's anything underneath the blunt shooter.

Did you go to the 2002 'The Power Lies Beneath' tour?

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

@Downfall: There were never official instructions made. I have not seen any fan instructions.

@yoshiedude I've seen some people try to build it in the Beaverhouse discord but I've not seen explicit instructions for it (though I've also not looked just for that). The people who did build as close of an approximation to it said that it was not very structurally sound.

@Downfall: There were never official instructions made of any of the playset alternate models save for the Caravan Crawler. I have not seen any fan instructions.

@yoshiedude I've seen some people try to build it in the Beaverhouse discord but I've not seen explicit instructions for it (though I've also not looked just for that). The people who did build as close of an approximation to it said that it was not very structurally sound. I've been working on trying to build it myself but it's a little difficult as there are some empty gaps that are impossible on a real model.

So what exactly happened to the MantasTamer's Rahi? He won the contest but it doesn't appear in the book, nor does it seem to match any of the descriptions of models whose creators didn't send them in.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

• 5 weeks later...

Kuhon Shaden got around to photographing Conjurer before I did (and fixed something that was incorrect with the way I did it. They have also done instructions for many of the contest weapons.

Dark Hunter Conjurer

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/albums/72157697382130974

Energy Extraction Rifle

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/albums/72157696179070731

Vortixx Rhotuka Battle Axe

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/albums/72157667971215537

Aqua Blaster Blade Instructions

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/albums/72157670009347808

They also made instructions for Dark Hunter Kraata-Kal, though there does appear to be one minor difference in the instructions (step 31) from the model photos noted in the comments.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143319199@N03/albums/72157692255396410

Wow I didn't know someone found Brakas sprites within the B:QftT, as seen here with some palette error:

http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=414

Maybe this could help us get a more accurate Brakas construction?

EDIT: reconstruction I made and reference material 

tumblr_pbrdxa3NXq1sncrlyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbre0rrkmj1sncrlyo1_1280.png

Edited by Transparency for Effect
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone maybe try to reverse-engineer this one? 

I've only been able to find this: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=427914

Thanks in advance

Shannara built the Iron Wolf. I guess you could try contacting Shannara and asking which parts were used.

Does anyone have Shannara’s contact information? I’d really like a parts list and instructions, as well, especially since an online friend of mine is making a piece of art based on the Iron Wolf and having one in front of him for modeling purposes would be useful. Also it’s awesome and I want one. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So I'm sorry if I'm bumping the topic into oblivion here (I don't quite know the rules on that here, haha), but I do still want to be able to continue to contribute to this document in a few ways. For example, I've got meticulous recreations of models like the prototype "Bad Guy" promo set and the Fikou Nui. The problem is, Volitak_Boxor has been MIA around these parts (if not also BS01?) since 2019, and the document has since been changed to need permission to edit. I have information to continue cataloguing these oddity models and I simply can't at the moment, what should I do?

Edited by TommyG

On 10/22/2021 at 6:02 PM, TommyG said:

So I'm sorry if I'm bumping the topic into oblivion here (I don't quite know the rules on that here, haha), but I do still want to be able to continue to contribute to this document in a few ways. For example, I've got meticulous recreations of models like the prototype "Bad Guy" promo set and the Fikou Nui. The problem is, Volitak_Boxor has been MIA around these parts (if not also BS01?) since 2019, and the document has since been changed to need permission to edit. I have information to continue cataloguing these oddity models and I simply can't at the moment, what should I do?

Hi @TommyG — open up the Google doc and go to File > Make a copy. You can make your own copy of the document which you can edit at your leisure.

Then, if you'd like to continue this project, you can put the link to your copy here. Although this does count as topic revival, I'm going to let this thread stay open for now because there's quite a lot of information in here. If people want to continue working on this project, I think it's better to keep all the work in one place instead of starting a new topic.

Good luck!

• Like 1