What brought you to Bionicle?

Alterax

Well, it all began when I first got interested in Legos back in 2009, after which I experience my "semi-dark ages", as Lego fans would call it, during the same year. It was in late 2010, I believe, that my interest in Legos started to build up, and it was around summer 2011, when I had been exploring the Lego.com website, that I got interested in...

No, not Bionicle, but Hero Factory. Yep, I was a HF fan before I got interested in Bionicle. If I hadn't gotten interested in HF, I might never have gotten interested in Bionicle, which I viewed as weird & confusing. It was in 2012 that my interest in what exactly Bionicle was began to grow, and I decided to try and find out.

It was hard. After realizing BionicleStory.com was an official site (I thought it wasn't because of the lack of "Lego" in the website URL), I began reading... and reading... and reading...

Eventually I realized how cool Bionicle was, though I still didn't quite understand the whole geography and details. (Wha? Voya Nui is connected to the ocean floor by a cord and destroying it caused Voya Nui to SINK? I thought Voya Nui would just float up there on the surface... wait... Metru Nui is how big? Is it as big as Mata Nui? Where is Mata Nui on the giant robot?) Yeah, questions like that puzzled me until I had figured most of it out by 2013, and you could say I was a fan of it. By 2014 you could say I was definitely a Bionicle fan, and certain events that happened around July only caused by interest to grow.

And that's how I got interested in Bionicle. It was Legos that brought me to Lego.com which brought me to Hero Factory which brought me to Bionicle. Which brought me to here. The end...ish. :P

• Upvote 2

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Well, it all began when I first got interested in Legos back in 2009, after which I experience my "semi-dark ages", as Lego fans would call it, during the same year. It was in late 2010, I believe, that my interest in Legos started to build up, and it was around summer 2011, when I had been exploring the Lego.com website, that I got interested in...

No, not Bionicle, but Hero Factory. Yep, I was a HF fan before I got interested in Bionicle. If I hadn't gotten interested in HF, I might never have gotten interested in Bionicle, which I viewed as weird & confusing. It was in 2012 that my interest in what exactly Bionicle was began to grow, and I decided to try and find out.

This is certainly the most interesting story I have read on this thread. Lots of people started in 2001, 2002 or 2005 it seems, but you got interested after Bionicle's run was over. That's pretty awesome. I guess it's proof enough of the quality of the story telling. :)

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Impulse sets! At first, I thought the Toa looked dumb (how wrong I was...), but then I saw the turaga, and the Idea came to me that these must be the Toa's kids! That was just too cool for me and my brothers, for whatever reason.

The sets packaging was clever: I always knew they lived in different regions, and that there must be some story (mostly made up by us). Gali was a dude, and he lived in the cliffs, and Kopapa was somewhat evil. (I also thought Kopaka was the girl toa at first- must've been the slender shoulders.)

Then we found BIONICLE.com, and the rest is history. 

My family has been into Lego for longer than either my brother or I have been around. So of course we got each of the slizer's and robo-riders as my brother and I where interested in them. Now something I remember they used to do was include little sheets, that advertised similar sets, in the box of any set. And there we saw the pictures of six bio-mechanical warriors now known as the toa mata. We bought them as soon as they came out. It did actual help our collections that we lived in  Windsor, England at the time and they have a Lego land there.

Saw them at a friend's house, found pieces in my piece box, build, buy more

Went to McDonald's with my best friend and we got happy meals. The featured toys that month were the Matorans. We didn't really "get" what Bionicle was until a little while later he got some Nesquik (?) cereal and it came with a disc containing a Bionicle video and the song "radio girl". We were hooked after that. I ended up getting Toas Tahu, Pohatu, and Onoa, while he got Kopaka, Lewa, and Gali.

Toa Kaita fight!

• Upvote 2

Well, when I was 5 or 6 or so and my mom would take my sister and me to our neighbor's house.  The boy that lived there had a set that I think was Matau Hordika.  I thought it was pretty cool.  I was aware of Bionicle but I didn't think much of it.  Last summer I bought a bin of stuff at a yard sale since it had a lot of LEGO parts, mostly technic.  It had what I think was Kopaka Mata, but I don't know where it is anymore.  I heard a lot about Bionicle online since there's a lot of hype for 2015.  I was really interested about it and heard the story was really good.  I did quite a bit of research and watched a lot of videos about it in the past month or so.  I recently bought a Tahu Mata with canister and silver and gold Hau's on eBay (without instructions or ball on chest).  Before that I watched the first 2 movies and played MNOG.  I also played what has been released of the fan-made MNOG 1.5.  I just placed a Bricklink order for Gali, Pohatu, Onua, Vakama, Jala, Huki, Tahnok, Tahnok Va, Pahrak Va, some masks and parts to build a 2001 style Takua.  I'm going to read the book series soon and I'm excited to go through the first 10 years (plus continued story) and am excited for 2015!

C-3PO.

Lego Star Wars?

A technic figure from way back when. You hit his stomach and his head and arms go flying out. Back then, sets came with an extra little catalog along with the instructions, so I saw the page with "Bionicle" on it... and I fell in love instantly.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I saw the original advertisements on TV.

I was already  a fan of lego, so I picked up the fire and earth Bohrok double pack from the Argos catalogue.

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

Even when trapped by Karma's cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way,

our seething blood will determine what will be! We'll break through time and space, and defy all who would stop us to take hold of our path!

~

Back in 2004, when I was a smallish human, I visited the local LEGO Store (Which was really a 45-minute drive from the sticks to the city). Up to this point I enjoyed playing with the Star Wars and Harry Potter sets, and was looking forward to the "Prehistoric Creatures" set that had just released (Dinosaurs and LEGO is a no-brainer for a six-year-old boy), so this was practically a religious experience.

Whilst browsing around this holy shrine, I stumbled upon a large tub full of plastic canisters - Vahki. The fierce-looking insectoid creatures looked nothing like the other products at the store, and my interest was immediately piqued.

Thus, Vahki Nuurakh was my first Bionicle set. My dad would often pick up other canisters on his way home from work to feed the habit (It should be mentioned that this was before the late 2000s economic recession, when the streets were practically paved in gold).

• Upvote 1

4raqsm.jpg

I had started out on Legos at around...I dunno, 5 or 6, and since I really liked Legos a whole lot my grandma would get me sets so I could preoccupy myself whilst at her place and she got me my first bionicle set by pure chance, Vakama. After I first saw it I got into the instruction manual and built it and then once done I was surprised to find a comic at the very end of the booklet which brought me to the realization that there was a story. Due to my love of Legos and my newfound passion for bionicles my parents eventually set me up for lego magazine to which I received my very first bionicle comic which was #21 of bionicle metru nui, nightmares (now that I look back on it that was probably the worst issue to start with as I had a small grasp of what was going on and that issue just messed with your mind on what was going on and what was real XD) and thus my love for bionicle skyrocketed from there and I can't wait for the new 2015 storyline.

Edited by Avanis Toa of Light

I found Bionicle by getting the comics first. After I got (I think) the first two comics of 2001, I got Jala Tohunga in a Happy Meal. I was in preschool at the time, so all the other kids got the other sets, like the Toa and Rahi, while I only had Jala. Eventually I got my first canister set, being a Kohrok, and enjoyed the story even more for the fact that my parents would read the text from the comics to me, as I was still learning to read.

Anyway, Jaller (who will always be Jala in my head and my way of saying it) was the real reason I got into Bionicle. I was just getting into Lego, and Bionicle was the best way to go for me. But the comics were the home of my continued enjoyment. I even reached a point where I cared more for the story than the sets the story was based on. However, I will always remember my feeling of excitement when I found Jala in a Happy Meal box, and he will always be one of my favorite characters. Also, I was young, and this sums up what I think Lego thought of back then:

red + yellow + young boy + (money from parent/guardian) = success

I received Pohatu Mata for a Christmas present back in 2001. I LOVED the set, but never really started 'collecting' them until the Nuva came out and my grandma bought me a whole bunch of Mata for my birthday the same year. 

Sadly, I never got any of the Rahi or Makuta because $20 was completely out of my reach at the time, lol.

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi