Worst licenced theme ideas

masterchirox580

aw, i was expecting this topic to be about the worst licensed themes that Lego has done. ah well.

honestly, i can't think of any one licensed theme that would definitely be horrible. even past licensed themes that seemed like really bad ideas at the start ended up yielding nice MOCing pieces. then again, individual pieces are really all i care about when buying sets, so i'm probably not the best judge here, hah.

• Upvote 1

aw, i was expecting this topic to be about the worst licensed themes that Lego has done. ah well.

honestly, i can't think of any one licensed theme that would definitely be horrible. even past licensed themes that seemed like really bad ideas at the start ended up yielding nice MOCing pieces. then again, individual pieces are really all i care about when buying sets, so i'm probably not the best judge here, hah.

Well my idea of a bad licensed would be say if lego pursued a license for say "don't hug me I'm scared" imagine that, and really if I was to make a topic were we talk about the worst licensed theme that topic would be filled with one of two responses, galidor or ben 10 (or maybe both).

P.S I just realized the mistake I made with the title (let's hope someone fixes that).

It's time to move on.

There are tons of licensed themes that would be bad ideas. For starters, anything licensed from material outside of what's appropriate for the Target audience. So no sets based on Tarantino films. It also wouldn't be a good idea to make sets of outdated properties, so no Jaws sets.

As for bad idea license sets that LEGO chose to pursuit, The Lone Ranger is probably the best candidate. Admittedly I'm biased against it because I would have rather seen a non-licensed western theme, but there's also the fact that the movie kind of bombed. That's not something LEGO could have predicted early, but as the film went through development there weren't a whole lot of signs that it would end up being successful, either. I can't imagine there was much interest in the line from anyone despite the sets being kind of okay. 

Or I could be completely wrong and the sets ended up selling well. I'm not actually sure if there's a way to look up that kind of information.

BZPRPG

Well my idea of a bad licensed would be say if lego pursued a license for say "don't hug me I'm scared" imagine that, and really if I was to make a topic were we talk about the worst licensed theme that topic would be filled with one of two responses, galidor or ben 10 (or maybe both).

P.S I just realized the mistake I made with the title (let's hope someone fixes that).

okay, wow. you did it. you found the worst possible theme idea.

also i have to disagree on Galidor - that was by all means Lego's best licensed theme.

• Upvote 5

also i have to disagree on Galidor - that was by all means Lego's best licensed theme.

Oh I think lego can do way worse then "don't hug me I'm scared".

And ha good one!

It's time to move on.

Oh I think lego can do way worse then "don't hug me I'm scared".

And ha good one!

what, you thought i was joking? please.

(anyway let's keep this on topic)

Edited by Arc
  • Upvote 1

Actually, if I remember right, according to the book Brick by Brick, Galidor isn't a licensed theme at all - it was an in-house production. Lego came up with the sets first, and then licensed a TV show to promote the line. I might have got this wrong though - it's been a while since I read the book.

• Upvote 2

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Actually, if I remember right, according to the book Brick by Brick, Galidor isn't a licensed theme at all - it was an in-house production. Lego came up with the sets first, and then licensed a TV show to promote the line. I might have got this wrong though - it's been a while since I read the book.

not quite. Lego did help fund the show, in addition to making the sets, but didn't create Galidor itself.

• Upvote 1

not quite. Lego did help fund the show, in addition to making the sets, but didn't create Galidor itself.

They also contributed creatively to the actual production of the show. Lars Lusenberg Nielsen, who also helped design various BIONICLE sets, is credited as a character designer.

I'm of the opinion that a Lego Barbie would be a very, very bad choice.

They already did LEGO Barbie. 

You can find the sets here:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Friends-ByTheme

Wow, not often that LEGO completely reimagines the source material and makes it considerably better than the original.
  • Upvote 7

I'm of the opinion that a Lego Barbie would be a very, very bad choice.

They already did LEGO Barbie. 

You can find the sets here:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Friends-ByTheme

Um... no. Lego Friends is more Polly Pocket than Barbie, and even that's underselling it. Mega Bloks DID produce Barbie sets, though, and the results are so abysmally poor that it almost seems they were designed to prove exactly how much worse Lego Friends could have been.

Anyway, worst potential Lego license? Hm... Maybe the webcomic Cyanide and Happiness? Not that the comic is bad (I've seen some strips I've liked), but the potential market for such sets is tiny, the content is more often than not inappropriate, and there's not a whole lot of building potential in a stick figure-esque comic. I can't think of that much else that fails on all three of those fronts.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Ohhhhh there are so many.

A lot of them, though, just wouldn't really... make sense.

I'm gonna go with LEGO "The Last Airbender" (the movie). Either that or LEGO Dragon Ball Z. Although, that second one might end up actually a somewhat interesting Minifigures series.

Honestly, though, there are so many that LEGO already has done.

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

MEMES.

ok i take it back. this one wins (loses?) the topic

Most memes aren't something you can exactly get a license for, though. Most memes are public domain. So while they might be a bad idea for a theme, the only ones that would qualify as a licensed theme idea are ones like Grumpy Cat that actually belong to somebody.

MEMES.

Most memes aren't something you can exactly get a license for, though. Most memes are public domain. So while they might be a bad idea for a theme, the only ones that would qualify as a licensed theme idea are ones like Grumpy Cat that actually belong to somebody.

hm. that's true.

....still doesn't make it any less of a bad idea.

MEMES.

hm. that's true.

....still doesn't make it any less of a bad idea.

that one fruit thing with the juxtaposed human facial features that became a licensed product somehow*

*dark magic, probably.

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Lego Internet

Well I guess it would be the first lego set where you would have to be over 18 to buy it.

What about Lego Wikipedia or Lego youtube, subthemes of Lego Internet? Who ever said Lego would have to make sets of... I shall not say.

If there was a lego youtube then expect a lot of misleading set titles and images, and if there was a lego wikipedia then no one would easily be able to obtain the sets as kids would keep "editing" the pieces.

• Upvote 3

It's time to move on.

Lego Internet

Well I guess it would be the first lego set where you would have to be over 18 to buy it.

What about Lego Wikipedia or Lego youtube, subthemes of Lego Internet? Who ever said Lego would have to make sets of... I shall not say.

If there was a lego youtube then expect a lot of misleading set titles and images, and if there was a lego wikipedia then no one would easily be able to obtain the sets as kids would keep "editing" the pieces.

Exactly! This thread is about the worst licensed theme ideas. 

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

A theme with a mediocre story and oversimplified sets with very little MoCing potential would be-- wait...

In all seriousness, for System really lots of things can work so long as the sets are designed well. For Constraction, something with characters that don't translate well into sets would be awful.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

A theme with a mediocre story and oversimplified sets with very little MoCing potential would be-- wait...

In all seriousness, for System really lots of things can work so long as the sets are designed well. For Constraction, something with characters that don't translate well into sets would be awful.

For example: Lego Seinfeld. Comes with laugh track sound brick!

• Upvote 2

I HATE SCORPIOS

what's the deal with Lego????

to name another bad TV show theme: Big Bang Theory. god, i hope that Ideas project doesn't pass.

Edited by Arc
  • Upvote 2

what's the deal with Lego????

to name another bad TV show theme: Big Bang Theory. god, i hope that Ideas project doesn't pass.

It better not. Shows like Doctor Who work fine, but a sitcom would be terrible.

I HATE SCORPIOS

Didn't Galidor almost killed lego (aka made them lose a lot of money because they made way too much of those sets and not a lot of people was baying them). I wouldn't say the Simpson because the only thing with them was there heads.

And as for what I hope wont be a licenced theme would be youtubers like the Annoying Orange, Fred, RayWilliamJohnson, LegoJang and god keep Sam Pepper away from everything.

Also Food Fight and what ever you do if you don't know about that movie, do look it up because it's really bad.

Please no Lego Glove and Boots or official Lego Gangnam style...

MEMES.

Okay I have no idea what Glove and Boots is but the Gangnam style and memes, THANK YOU

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Didn't Galidor almost killed lego (aka made them lose a lot of money because they made way too much of those sets and not a lot of people was baying them).

Galidor was indeed a failure but it was not a licensed theme in the traditional sense: the show itself was co-developed, co-produced, and I believe even co-owned by Lego. So they weren't licensing an existing property; rather, if it weren't for Lego, Galidor wouldn't even have existed in the first place. In that sense, it's most similar to the current Mixels theme, which is a co-production between Lego and Cartoon Network.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Didn't Galidor almost killed lego (aka made them lose a lot of money because they made way too much of those sets and not a lot of people was baying them).

Galidor was indeed a failure but it was not a licensed theme in the traditional sense: the show itself was co-developed, co-produced, and I believe even co-owned by Lego. So they weren't licensing an existing property; rather, if it weren't for Lego, Galidor wouldn't even have existed in the first place. In that sense, it's most similar to the current Mixels theme, which is a co-production between Lego and Cartoon Network.

And to this day I still question what lego were thinking when they came up with that thing.

It's time to move on.

Please no Lego Glove and Boots or official Lego Gangnam style...

MEMES.

Okay I have no idea what Glove and Boots is but the Gangnam style and memes, THANK YOU

This is Glove and Boots

That video is pretty squeaky, but others have bleeped curses and other inappropriate content. (Plus also, those characters/puppets wouldn't render well in Lego IMO. :shrugs:)

Well, it's looking like The Big Bang Theory is going to happen. Bapsplingo. (Until sets are actually produced it still technically fits in this topic.)

Four things confuse me about TBBT:

1) It's not all that funny—the studio audience laughs at everything
2) There are a lot of problems with what the writers consider "humor"
3) The show is fairly mature.
4) The proposed set has little playability value.

LEGO must feel as if they can make money through TBBT, but I can't see how.

• Upvote 3

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg