Worst licenced theme ideas

masterchirox580

Well, it's looking like The Big Bang Theory is going to happen. Bapsplingo. (Until sets are actually produced it still technically fits in this topic.)

Four things confuse me about TBBT:

1) It's not all that funny—the studio audience laughs at everything

2) There are a lot of problems with what the writers consider "humor"

3) The show is fairly mature.

4) The proposed set has little playability value.

LEGO must feel as if they can make money through TBBT, but I can't see how.

Well, the fact that it has a huge following probably has something to do with it. It is currently one of the most watched series there are, and the project got to 10,00 votes somehow. And as something that is about "nerd" humor( and Lego still being viewed as geeky, which they will totally take advantage of) I can see why both parties involved would see it as a worthwhile investment. 

Whether it's a good thing or not is a different subject, but I can kinda see why they think it might be profitable.

AXKP5KC.png

Well, it's looking like The Big Bang Theory is going to happen. Bapsplingo. (Until sets are actually produced it still technically fits in this topic.)

Well we should at least be thankful it's going to be a one set only thing.

It's time to move on.

Well, keep in mind that humor is subjective. :notsure: I personally find a lot of the jokes in the episodes I've seen funny, and the cast has won or been nominated for various awards based on their performance.

The maturity of the show is something I can agree about, though. When it reached review I basically considered it dead on arrival, so I think I'm as surprised as anybody that it actually passed.

It would not surprise me if this proposal has the potential for success, though. Other TBBT merchandise seems to be reasonably successful, judging by how much of it I see. There's a TBBT edition of Clue (the board game), TBBT vinyl figurines, and lots of other novelty items. Seeing as The Big Bang Theory has pretty good viewership ratings in many countries, I think its audience is definitely fairly large, and it wouldn't surprise me if that audience has a considerable overlap with the LEGO fan community judging by the positive responses to this announcement that I've seen from LEGO fans on many other sites. If the set is produced for a low enough price point while still including the key characters and some accessories for them to interact with (most notably the couch), then I think it could have pretty good sales by LEGO Ideas standards.

• Upvote 2

Dang it we can have mature TV show sets but not mature video game sets. I still want a Black Mesa HEV Suit constraction set with a Lambda hero core.

Bear in mind that sometimes this kind of thing has to do with cultural differences. In some cultures graphic violence is deemed more acceptable for children than risqué humor or imagery, while in other cultures it's the other way around. One of the LEGO Group's biggest markets is Germany, where violence and military subject matter are MUCH more controversial than they are in the United States. But the United States, another extremely significant market for LEGO, is much more OK with modern warfare in children's toys. This is why in 2005, the United States got the gritty post-apocalyptic Dino Attack theme while most other countries where LEGO is sold got the considerably watered-down Dino 2010 theme.

• Upvote 2

Well, keep in mind that humor is subjective. :notsure: I personally find a lot of the jokes in the episodes I've seen funny, and the cast has won or been nominated for various awards based on their performance.

The first two points are two sides of the same coin for me—there's a lot of stuff in the show that really isn't funny because it's just plain offensive to various groups. I can't bring myself to enjoy such humor.

• Upvote 2

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

The first two points are two sides of the same coin for me—there's a lot of stuff in the show that really isn't funny because it's just plain offensive to various groups. I can't bring myself to enjoy such humor.

THIS. 

Bad jokes are just that - bad. I'm okay making jokes at my own expense, at Bionicle's expense, etc - but when it comes to jokes at the expense of other people (especially using generalizing stereotypes/misconceptions), it isn't funny anymore. It's just negative and even boring. 

Plus, also the NAME of that show can be offensive to a certain group, everything else aside. Why would Lego get involved in that? Urg. 

Edited by fishers64

Nor can I. But if there were any jokes that were particularly offensive to certain groups in the episodes I've seen, they don't stick with me.

That doesn't mean I think there aren't any. The show's humor is extremely irreverent, and I'm sure some of its humor does step into offensive territory. But I see some people talk about it as if it's offensive to minorities on a regular basis, and that's not consistent with what I've seen.

Plus, also the NAME of that show can be offensive to a certain group, everything else aside. Why would Lego get involved in that? Urg.

What? No, the name of the show isn't offensive to any group. It's a cultural reference, and arguably a somewhat raunchy pun. If you're interpreting it as promoting a particular viewpoint, you're interpreting it wrong (though even if it were, that would not in and of itself make it unacceptable, because no show should have to pander to every scientific or pseudoscientific viewpoint). Anybody who thinks the name is genuinely offensive to a particular group probably needs to apply a little bit more critical thinking.

• Upvote 3

What? No, the name of the show isn't offensive to any group. It's a cultural reference, and arguably a somewhat raunchy pun. If you're interpreting it as promoting a particular viewpoint, you're interpreting it wrong (though even if it were, that would not in and of itself make it unacceptable, because no show should have to pander to every scientific or pseudoscientific viewpoint). Anybody who thinks the name is genuinely offensive to a particular group probably needs to apply a little bit more critical thinking.

Can be, not that it should be. 

Can be, not that it should be.

Yeah, but anything CAN be considered offensive. Some groups consider the Harry Potter franchise offensive because it includes witchcraft, but does that automatically mean that's something the LEGO Group should not "get involved" in?

Frankly, anything stands a chance of offending somebody. What matters more is the REASON people are offended. If something is unrepentantly discriminatory, then that's a perfectly valid criticism, and something the LEGO Group should seriously consider when deciding whether to make a theme. But if something like a show's title has to be spun completely out of context for it to offend people, that's probably is not something the LEGO Group should be seriously concerned with.

• Upvote 2

Lego Internet

Well I guess it would be the first lego set where you would have to be over 18 to buy it.

What about Lego Wikipedia or Lego youtube, subthemes of Lego Internet? Who ever said Lego would have to make sets of... I shall not say.

Presumably Lego Wikipedia sets would somehow be based on perennial Wikipedia favorites like malapropism, neologism, and portmanteau. And then maybe there can be a collaboration with xkcd to produce a final product based on malamanteau.

~B~

Breaking Bad

Someone actually made that with some clever minifigure part combinations, and it actually looks really cool :P I can see why that would go horribly wrong yeah. They'd basically have to limit that to Mr White teaching his class, and maybe a set of the car wash :P

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

• 1 month later...

You forgotten two rare sets masterchirox: 00669 My super yolo swag and 00996 Swiggity swag, what's in the bag :P

How about... Lego IGN?

7.8/10

-too many trans-blue bricks

-feels too much like Lego

Wait, I gotten something better...       EA and Catcom

Here's the $50 set. Now you need to by it's 9001 DLC that going to be $5 each.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

They have fetal like proportions, it was not ment as an insult.

I never took it as an insult I just thought that term didn't make much sense, but when you put it in that context that really depends on what you're talking about, if you're talking in the sense of the dolls then yeah they do, if you're talking in the context of the show that's hard to tell as there are no humans in equestria to compare them with.  

It's time to move on.

A lesser one I can think of is if they did something about elves. I don't know why, but combine that with the friends theme... (shivers)

Sounds like it could be awesome to me... ;) Well, maybe not if it's a license, because in that case it depends on the quality of the source material. But as an original theme that sounds like the girl-oriented fantasy theme I've been dreaming of, coupled with my teenage love of fantasy creatures from fairy-tales and folklore. Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1