The truth behind the Mask of Time.

The Vahi making an appearance in the Bionicle 2015 trailer and that guy from the Bionicle team saying the Vahi is half a mask got me thinking.  I've heard a few theories, but here's mine. (NOTE, THE FOLLOWING IS JUST MY THEORY, IT IS NOT CANON INFO)

Okay, so in the G1 universe the Great Beings intended for the Vahi to be created as a failsafe in case anything happened to the Matoran Universe. The Great Disks formed the bottom half of the mask, but the upper half was somehow lost in another dimension - The G2 Universe. Specifically somewhere in the Temple of Time. Remember how ridiculously OP the Mask of Life is? and how the Vahi is kinda weak compared to it? That is because the G1 Vahi (being half a mask) doesn't have its full power. When the upper and lower halves are joined, the Vahi will be completed and can use its full power. (Full control, time travel, etc..) The lower half was also just made of 6 great Kanoka disks, which to be honest isn't that much for a legendary mask. It was also created by one rookie Toa. It would make sense if that was only half the process and fully constructing the Vahi required more work. 

Also, this might sound a little weird, but..... What if, the Toa from G2 are the same Toa we grew up with in G1, who have traveled to this alternate universe to retrieve the other half of the Mask of Time, so they can use the mask to stop a crisis on Spherus Magna. Perhaps the physics are slightly different in that universe, so their adaptive armor stopped working and that's how they get their new forms. They find villagers who need their help to save them from "Makuta", which surprises the Toa (of course knowing "Makuta" very well) so they decide to help them while looking for the masks. Then when they have completed their quest and found the Vahi, awakened Ekimu etc, the series ends with the Toa leaving through a portal, and it shows them returning to Sphereus Magna and greeting Turaga Vakama. 

That story would combine both universes, without totally confusing new younger fans, It would please both audiences. I think. 

• Upvote 1

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

I don't get why people want Gen2 to be linked with Gen1 so badly? Gen1 is over. It had a (mostly) satisfying and appropriate ending. Is it the young people who only caught onto BIONICLE towards the end who so badly want to have more of what they missed out on?

THe Vahi =/= Time travel. The Mask of Creation Gen2 is not the Mask of Creation Gen1. There are no solid, factual storyline links. Until proven otherwise, everything referring to Gen1 is a shout-out or a callback, not evidence for some future twist.

• Upvote 9

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

They find villagers who need their help to save them from "Makuta", which surprises the Toa (of course knowing "Makuta" very well) so they decide to help them while looking for the masks.

Most of this makes sense except the quote above. The Toa are confirmed to have lost their memories (either for the first time or for the second time, depending on whether you see this reboot as hard or soft) I think this theory makes sense. It is pretty weird that the incredible Mask of Time can't allow you to time travel, yet the Mask of Life can do pretty much anything related to life. With the guys at NYCC suddenly bringing up the Mask of Time, the Facebook paging suspiciously lacking the Temple of Time slide, and other things, this could very well be possible. And who knows, maybe it's the Gen 2 story engine? (I actually hope not, I wan to be surprised by Gen 2's story, and it would be such a shame if we'd already figured it out by now. Maybe the whole Temple of Time thing was put into the story to throw us off track and distract us from the real story engine... :blink: )

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Unfortunately non of this is possible.

Lego threw G1 out the window.

They specifically stated this was a full reboot, Bionicle back to square 001 and completely reimagined.

So, yeah. As great as it would be to have this universe have some kind of connection to G1, there isn't one.

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

It's entirely possible, and I honestly wouldn't mind if that was the case. But I wouldn't mind if it wasn't either. Regardless, it's too early to judge where the new story team will take the new Bionicle.

Also the Masters supposedly lost their memories, just clarifying (this can be tied into your theory though).  

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

I don't recall hearing about the mask of time in regards to gen 2.

The Toa being the same would be cool; maybe their adaptive armor kicked in when they landed, but I think this is unlikely.

NYCC interview with the artists, one of the two (main artists I believe?) said something like this:

"Oh, and you remember the Mask of Time? How it looked like only half a mask? Well, you're gonna see the whole thing. The whole mask"

And thats about it.

• Upvote 2

The Toa being the same would be cool; maybe their adaptive armor kicked in when they landed, but I think this is unlikely.

NYCC interview with the artists, one of the two (main artists I believe?) said something like this:

"Oh, and you remember the Mask of Time? How it looked like only half a mask? Well, you're gonna see the whole thing. The whole mask"

And thats about it.

And when asked if it was a reboot, he said "I don't want to call it a reboot..." and when asked if it was like Star Trek 2009, he said that was a great example. And that's why the whole Vahi thing exists. Oh, and they showed a slide at NYCC showing "the Temple of Time" as they called it. That slide is not on the official Facebook page. It feels like Lego is hinting at something. But for now all we know for sure is that there will be a Mask of Time in Gen 2, and it will probably be located in the Temple of Time. We also know that the Toa have had their memories wiped. So that's why this theory (aside from the fact the Toa will have lost their memories again) makes this theory plausible. But we can only wait and see to know for sure...

• Upvote 2

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

And when asked if it was a reboot, he said "I don't want to call it a reboot..." and when asked if it was like Star Trek 2009, he said that was a great example. And that's why the whole Vahi thing exists. Oh, and they showed a slide at NYCC showing "the Temple of Time" as they called it. That slide is not on the official Facebook page. It feels like Lego is hinting at something. But for now all we know for sure is that there will be a Mask of Time in Gen 2, and it will probably be located in the Temple of Time. We also know that the Toa have had their memories wiped. So that's why this theory (aside from the fact the Toa will have lost their memories again) makes this theory plausible. But we can only wait and see to know for sure...

They also apparently talked about Time Trap

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

-NotS

And the plot thickens...

• Upvote 3

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

As others have said, Gen 2 Bionicle is a complete reboot. Aside from the Toa and Makuta, which are also rebooted characters, there is no connection to the original story. So if there is a Mask of Time in the new story, I think it will just be for it, and not to make a connection to the first story. 

As for the quote saying that we will 'see the full form of the Mask of Time,' I really don't know anything concrete about that. I simply take this to mean that the Vahi will have a different form in the story. Maybe one where it covers one's face more than the original one. That is just my guess on that though.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

And thats about it.

Really? because at the very beginning the presenter says something like:

"Alright, so before we all begin, let me just say this: Its a reboot. Its now official guys. So all those rumors and speculations can be put to rest"

• Upvote 3

And thats about it.

Really? because at the very beginning the presenter says something like:

"Alright, so before we all begin, let me just say this: Its a reboot. Its now official guys. So all those rumors and speculations can be put to rest"

TTV asked one guy before the panel and that's when he said he didn't want to call it a reboot, and brought up the Mask of Time. After the panel TTV asked the guy again as they were now confused, and he brought up Mask of Time-related stuff again. TTV never asked about the Mask of Time. It was always that employee, whose name I can't remember. And besides, Bionicle 2015 is a reboot both ways. It's just a matter of whether it's a hard or soft one. Star Trek 2009 is almost entirely a hard reboot, except that old Spock is there, making it soft.

EDIT: I don't really like TTV, and yes, they're not the most reliable news source, but this video explains the facts fairly well...

Vahi discussion begins at 3:55.

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

-NotS

The only time related stuff in there was Voporak's time abilities, and that vision from the future with Krakua, that Vakama got through a Kratana. I'm curious why they even talked about Time Trap... 

Maybe... THAT Krakua is from OKOTO!

Edited by Boidoh

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I have a feeling that people will be very disappointed when there are no links between G1 and G2.

Although I have a feeling that the slightest of references, regardless of whether or not they were intentional, will get people worked up about links between the two stories.

• Upvote 2

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I have a feeling that people will be very disappointed when there are no links between G1 and G2.

Although I have a feeling that the slightest of references, regardless of whether or not they were intentional, will get people worked up about links between the two stories.

It's already happening, and I look forward (not at all) to the flood of fanfics that justify a link between Gen1 and Gen2. Nobody's answered my question as to why people need the two gens to be connected. What's wrong with a hard reboot with callbacks? Any soft reboot of the kind people seem to want will only pull the tangled unpleasantness of Gen1 into what is meant to attract new fans to a new story.

• Upvote 6

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

TTV asked one guy before the panel and that's when he said he didn't want to call it a reboot, and brought up the Mask of Time. After the panel TTV asked the guy again as they were now confused, and he brought up Mask of Time-related stuff again. TTV never asked about the Mask of Time. It was always that employee, whose name I can't remember. And besides, Bionicle 2015 is a reboot both ways. It's just a matter of whether it's a hard or soft one. Star Trek 2009 is almost entirely a hard reboot, except that old Spock is there, making it soft.

EDIT: I don't really like TTV, and yes, they're not the most reliable news source, but this video explains the facts fairly well...

It was already discovered that TTV manipulated the answers and questions to make it sound like that.

The Three Virtues officially wrote an apology, wich was also posted on the "official bionicle 2015" thread, or the other one about 2015.

• Upvote 2

-NotS

The only time related stuff in there was Voporak's time abilities, and that vision from the future with Krakua, that Vakama got through a Kratana. I'm curious why they even talked about Time Trap...

Maybe... THAT Krakua is from OKOTO!

I fully support this. Krakua - Master of Sound/Sonics sounds great. Edited by Rider Of Spiders

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

Just to clear things up, I would like to state that TTV, though their questions were asked unprofessionally, did NOT try to influence the answers of their questions to point to a soft reboot. They have stated they they themselves were wanting a hard reboot, and it was the employee himself who brought up the Vahi & Time Trap. TTV never brought that up. It was the employee. And one of the things that makes this very interesting is that the employee brought up Time Trap, which has nothing to do with Gen 2. Or does it? Because he asked if there was anything unusual about that book, which seems very strange. Bringing up the Vahi to make a comparison between the old and new Bionicle makes sense. But bringing up Time Trap? That is highly suspicious. (Pun not intended, but you can pretend it was if you want. :P )

• Upvote 4

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Remember how ridiculously OP the Mask of Life is? and how the Vahi is kinda weak compared to it? That is because the G1 Vahi (being half a mask) doesn't have its full power.

It isn't weak compared to it. It just isn't alive, and no mind exists that can make use of its full potential, unlike the Ignika's own consciousness. :)

Sorry that's all I've got time to post here right now. Maybe more later...

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Regardless of weather the vahi stuff is true, we do know one thing. There is a temple of time on Okoto, which was briefly shown at NYCC. The fact that it is missing from the facebook slides suggests something rather fishy about the whole situation. Considering that the slide also showed the toa's arrival, it isn't a stretch to believe that the temple of time/vahi has something to do with the toa's origins.

• Upvote 2

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

Remember how ridiculously OP the Mask of Life is? and how the Vahi is kinda weak compared to it? That is because the G1 Vahi (being half a mask) doesn't have its full power.

It isn't weak compared to it. It just isn't alive, and no mind exists that can make use of its full potential, unlike the Ignika's own consciousness. :)

Wait... could the Ignika make a mask come to life?

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Possible. 

But I think bones was referring to the fact that the Mask of Life is alive. Mask of Time is not, and it would take a better mind than a lot of Bionicle characters to control Time itself. 

Oh no oh heck NO!

I can't begin to think of the consequences of having the Ignika making the Vahi alive!

• Upvote 4

It could make sense that they devastating event was something to do with Velika, he was going to destroy the world. How would they get to the other dimension though? Brutaka's Olmak was destroyed and Veson as well as Arakth (spelling level: 9 + 10=21) is about to die (it's just taking way too long!) (unless the great being inside can defeat Velika) so no more Olmaks.

Whether we like it or not (and I don't either) it's a hard reboot. End of story.

afaik there is NO Mask of Time whatsoever in Gen 2. There is NO WAY the name "Makuta" would be used again if it was Gen 1 (except if a GB was called Makuta, but GBs don't wear masks). And the Toa have NO reason to replace their masks with the plain elemental masks they're confirmed to wear. Therefore it is a hard reboot.

• Upvote 2

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Eh... it's a nice idea but I don't see it happening. If there's teasers of the Vahi, like the in the cloud in that animated Story of Okoto, it's probably not the same Vahi from G1. Time travel isn't gonna mean alternate universe, even if there are timeline divergence shenanigans. They wouldn't go that way, it's just silly to do with a reboot. I think they'll do something much more interesting and creative with it.

We had ten whole years, I think it's time to accept that those days are over. Get it? Time?

:P

• Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

It could make sense that they devastating event was something to do with Velika, he was going to destroy the world. How would they get to the other dimension though? Brutaka's Olmak was destroyed and Veson as well as Arakth (spelling level: 9 + 10=21) is about to die (it's just taking way too long!) (unless the great being inside can defeat Velika) so no more Olmaks.

Another Olmak. Simple. 

Whether we like it or not (and I don't either) it's a hard reboot. End of story.

afaik there is NO Mask of Time whatsoever in Gen 2. There is NO WAY the name "Makuta" would be used again if it was Gen 1 (except if a GB was called Makuta, but GBs don't wear masks). And the Toa have NO reason to replace their masks with the plain elemental masks they're confirmed to wear. Therefore it is a hard reboot.

"There is NO WAY the name "Makuta" would be used again"

Eh...... What? 

Also, the Mask of Time is in G2 or at least has some connection. It was hinted at in the trailer.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Eh... it's a nice idea but I don't see it happening. If there's teasers of the Vahi, like the in the cloud in that animated Story of Okoto, it's probably not the same Vahi from G1. Time travel isn't gonna mean alternate universe, even if there are timeline divergence shenanigans. They wouldn't go that way, it's just silly to do with a reboot. I think they'll do something much more interesting and creative with it.

We had ten whole years, I think it's time to accept that those days are over. Get it? Time?

:P

Original Star Trek was connected to 2009 Reboot Star Trek, so why can't it work here?

• Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I don't think that designer's comment was intended to suggest that the old Vahi was actually just half a mask in-universe. He probably meant that the design resembled just half a mask compared to the other masks released at that time, and that in the new BIONICLE, if the Vahi shows up, they can improve it by making it a whole mask. Just as an example of how the writers and designers are taking ideas from the old sets and story but re-imagining them for the reboot.

• Upvote 5

Original Star Trek was connected to 2009 Reboot Star Trek, so why can't it work here?

It can, but there's something seriously wrong with basing what a new story will be on "some other story has done this already." When it's actually done in practice it's called cliche, copycatting, etc.

Of course, total reboots have been done too... I'm just sayin'. :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

While I think it's a neat idea that both generations of BIONICLE could be joined by the Vahi, I don't see it happening. It's been very well stated that this is a reboot, and I do think it'll stay that way. At most, they may come up with the idea that this is an alternate reality like the ones Takanuva visited, but that's a stretch. 

The Mask of Time is a cool concept, and based on what we've heard I think we'll see one, just not a half-Vahi crossing the generational gap. :pakari: 

• Upvote 1
[ blog ] onuanutbannermnolgstyle.jpg  [ Flickr ]