Teaching Other People About Bionicle

Zippo

I'm currently in the process of teaching my significant other about the basics, since she wants to understand why I'm so in love with the line (And its return next year). Right now she kind of understands the basic 6 elements and who the Mata are, and she seems to be learning rather quickly. With luck she'll be fluent in Matoran someday, but for now she seems to get why the line attracted people of all ages (The rich lore, the deep story, etc).

What are some of your experiences with teaching other people about the Bionicle lore? Did it go well, or was there a lack of interest?

• Upvote 3

why is this happening

oohh.. The nostalgia. 

I remember trying to teach my mother about bionicle, back in 2002. Summary of the story is she didn't understand it, and for her the bohrok will forever be called 'The Chicken People' because she claims the way their head function works they look like chickens. 

I gave up after that. But hey at least to this day she can see a bohrok and remember it as the chicken people.

• Upvote 6

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Sadly, I've rarely been in that position, and I never got very far.

Tried to teach it to my parents, but neither of them are good with keeping track of so much info the way I am. My siblings have tried, and all failed.

Briefly introduced the basics of it to my former girlfriend sometime back, but she found it uninteresting. (The nerve of some people, right?)

I tried to re-introduce some friends of mine to it, after they lost contact with the story, but that didn't work out.

As of late, I've not tried to teach anyone about it, though one of my friends from college saw me working on one of my comics between classes, and he got interested in that, recognizing the figures.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I explained the post-story Gen 1 to a colleague with the aid of BS01, thusly:

There was this robot(Great Spirit Robot), big enough to contain all of this (Matoran Universe) inside him. These mechanical hobbits (Matoran) were designed to go inside and keep him running, and he maintainted their universe. The mechanical Hobbits could become Warriors (Toa) and after that Leaders (Turaga). Now they've evacuated their universe after it was taken over by the bad guy, and now live on this planet (Spherus Magna) with normal people.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I've tried with my friends, and it's hilarious because they can't remember any of the names (and they've only seen Web of Shadows)

Keetongu - Golden epic guy

Rahaga - Fly-grandpas

Visorak - Spiders

Teridax's protodermis prison - Red ice cube

Roodaka - Evil woman

oohh.. The nostalgia. 

I remember trying to teach my mother about bionicle, back in 2002. Summary of the story is she didn't understand it, and for her the bohrok will forever be called 'The Chicken People' because she claims the way their head function works they look like chickens. 

I gave up after that. But hey at least to this day she can see a bohrok and remember it as the chicken people.

Chicken people!!! What a fantastic name for them!!!

• Upvote 1

The amount of time, money and effort I continue to invest in Bionicle I WISH my other half cared enough to try and learn even the 2001 storyline but she really isn't even remotely interested in it (or much else I do for that matter!) She's a good cook though so I guess that's something...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I've lost count of how many times I've tried explaining it to my mom, but she never pays attention enough to remember it correctly (Ex. Teridax = Bad guy, Gali = Good guy, Tahu = Bad guy). Luckily my dad knows a significant amount about the main story because he followed as I did so there's not much I can teach him. I've attempted to teach my younger sister a couple times, but she's usually to busy on her computer to listen, but every so often she'll want to learn and I'd always show her the 2001 characters and sit her back on her computer (the irony) and make her play the Mnolg 1. She always makes it past the Rama hive and gets bored.  

I would just start out with telling her about the Mata Nui robot. I always thought of Mata Nui as a super computer, the locations inside the body as the hardware (or even "organs"), and the inhabitants as the programs running the computer (or "cells").

If you do not want to take that route, I would try starting from the general overview of how Mata Nui was created. For example:

"Started on a planet much like earth, but with stuff called 'energized protodermis' instead of magma in the center of it. War started over that stuff. Guys calling themselves the 'Great Beings' found out that stuff was bad, so they built a giant robot to study other cultures on other planets. At the giant robot's takeoff, the planet split into three pieces because of the bad stuff destroying the planet. After the robot got done with studying, he comes back to the broken planet to fix it, but gets a computer virus and crashes on one of the three pieces of planet. So the story begins..."

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Recently (since bionicle is coming back and I knew I may need to explain to people exactly what this thing I am obsessed with is), I mentally tried to see how I would explain the story to people. I came to two conclusions:

1: If I wanted to tell the story to them, either I have to say what cronologically happened ("there was once a planet called Spherus Magna..."), or in order of what we learned (2001, 2002, etc). The two have pros and cons, and are very different stories.

2: It took me a total of 2 hours to run through all the information I considered necessary to capture the story.

In other words, I am not 100% sure anyone I know will be willing to take the time for me to explain this to them.

• Upvote 1

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

I think I fully explained BIONICLE to a friend of mines... Starting was the hard part... where to start.... Planets!!!

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I've roughly attempted, but I don't force it so it doesn't go anywhere. Usually the people I've tried teaching didn't really have an interest in it or had an interest so light it wouldn't make a difference because they were already satisfied with that. Aw well. If they don't want to like Bionicle, I can't make them.

Ah, yes, explaining Bionicle to other people.

"Hello, let me tell you about Bionicle. Here's you'r companion guide." *the thud of a large volume of paper being dropped on a desk* "In there, you'll find a quick description of every major character, along with a complete glossary of terms. I encourage you to check it for anything that confuses you as I explain. Now, where do I start? Do I start with the Core War, with the construction of the Great Spirit Robot, with Metru Nui, or with Mata Nui?" *sound of fluttering pages of the guidebook* "Ah, good, since you've already got that open, why don't you start looking into some of the side serials while I consider how to best get you in on the main story? You'll need them to completely understand the main story, anyway." *sound of book slamming shut* "Hey, where are you going? I was going to tell you about Bionicle!"

• Upvote 7

That's why the person who you tell it to, needs to be someone who can appreciate complexity. The person I explained BIONICLE to likes the complexity, and after a small few weeks of explaining and explaining, I'd say he now knows a fair much. Not as much as me... of course. What I find hilarious, for lack of a better word, is that an old 'friend' who is a "cool guy" once bought BIONICLEs back in the day. He thinks that the story is stupid, and often ridicules me when I am conversing about it to said individual whom I indoctrinated in BIONICLE. On the other hand, the person who likes BIONICLE now has only ever heard about it through commercials (each set sold separately)...

• Upvote 2

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

I generally abstain from trying to explain BIONICLE to other people. They rarely express any interest in wanting to learn, so it would be rude to go ahead and talk about it. Fans who try to explain the story invariably end up sounding like abhorrent proselytizers trying to win converts, anyway.

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

i haven't attempted to tell anyone about Bionicle lore since i was a kid. like 2005 or so, and even then it was just my family. i don't usually tell people about things that i know they will find entirely uninteresting and childish. not to mention overly complex, although i'd probably cut a LOT of corners if i were to do so.

I once tried to read some of the first Bionicle books to my Mom. We only made it as far as Bionicle Adventures 2. I don't think she remembers now that we read them, since it was a long time ago. 

I also tried to tell my sister about some of the first years of Bionicle, but that really didn't go anywhere. 

I haven't told anyone about the story besides these two times. But if I were to try to teach someone today, I'd just give them a link to BS01 and tell them "Good luck." :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

This kind of thing is always a challenge in part because different aspects of BIONICLE appeal to different people. To many regular LEGO fans, for instance, the complexity of the storyline is one of most perplexing or off-putting things about the theme (since classic LEGO had more of a focus on open-ended play). But let them build a set or show them some amazing MOCs and they might gain a new respect for the theme.

It sounds to me like your significant other is more of a story-oriented person, so the toys might not be the biggest selling point for her. I feel like Mata Nui Online Game and BIONICLE: Mask of Light are some of the best ways to introduce somebody to the BIONICLE storyline, depending on whether the person you're introducing it to prefers a more interactive experience or a more passive one.

The BIONICLE theme was basically designed so that you'd never get the whole story from any one source, so there's no foolproof way of introducing somebody to the overall storyline. The chapter books were definitely one of the most in-depth forms of BIONICLE media, but I don't know if they'd be one of the most enjoyable to a newcomer. After all, the BIONICLE theme always had a lot of care put into making it visually appealing, and the chapter books lacked that visual aspect almost entirely. The comics, on the other hand, were visually stunning but had less depth than the books, and the visuals were a bit less polished than the movies and animations.

• Upvote 1

I've never thought there was much appeal in explaining it to others; there are problems in explaining it to various ages. Most adults I encounter see it as a toy line and would think me some kind of reclusive weirdo, and my fear of excluding important details never made it something easy enough to explain to kids.

• Upvote 2

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I've never thought there was much appeal in explaining it to others; there are problems in explaining it to various ages. Most adults I encounter see it as a toy line and would think me some kind of reclusive weirdo, and my fear of excluding important details never made it something easy enough to explain to kids.

Same here, buddy...

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

For me, it usually goes about as well as describing Doctor Who. The end result is normally: :shrugs:

A few weeks ago I told the story of the Toa Mata to my wife, explaining that the Toa were like pills sent into Mata Nui's body to fight off the infection of evil and ultimately revive him. She thought the concept was really cool and was then open to hearing more about it. She also found it beneficial to know that there was a deeper story to the LEGO robots I keep building :P:pakari:

[ blog ] onuanutbannermnolgstyle.jpg  [ Flickr ]

For me, it usually goes about as well as describing Doctor Who. The end result is normally: :shrugs:

I know how that is...

Step one: have them play MNOG.

Step one and a half: Have them read the comics in between chapters of MNOG.

Step two: Have them read Tale of the Toa.

If they are still not interested, don't force it.

That's how I got back into it. Slow and easy is the key.

I would also like to recommend getting to know the characters. They made the story for me. (Tuyet is an awesome character. I'd marry her, but then she'd kill me or something, so maybe not. Putting her in prison is the best approach :P)

Edited by Fordianl
  • Upvote 2

I don't. 

If you are not familiar with the Bionicle lore, then its too late for you. You will never appreciate the epicness that is Bionicle. Your childhood will never be as good as mine, and sad day for you.  

It's never late, Bionicle recieves anyone who will have it with open arms.

That said, I'm trying to teach my girlfriend all of Bionicle. Right now we've just finished the 2006 storyline. I use the comics as a general plot thread (I don't have any of the books, so I can't show them to her and I have to narrate parts that help understand the comics better, like Jaller's and co. trip to Karzahni). I've shown her some of the web videos and the movies but we've haven't been able to play many games.

• Upvote 1

I think the enthusiasm with which you explain it to them is what gets the idea across the most. They may not have a clue what you just said, but if they see you beaming with excitement just talking about it and your eyes lighting up, they know for sure that it's something special, and I think that's what we really want them to understand :)

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I have, yes. I used to drive people away with it (even once lost a potential date due to my habit of nerding out). Then (for personal reasons) I learned quite a bit about Christian apologetics over the course of half of a year. Being the shy person that I am, I never used it publicly unless a question had been asked, using the teachings to better myself.

Now, talking about science-fantasy genres is much easier (and generally less sensitive) then apologetics, so when I draw a Toa or a Makuta and people ask as to what it is, I use some of the skills I learned from Mr. John Lennox, and I give them a basic answer:

"Awh man, sic drawing man! What is that exactly?"

"it is a demonic gas inside of a shapeshifting suit of armor. His name is Teridax, and he controls shadows and god-like powers. ...Its from a modern Danish mythology, its pretty interesting."

Either of the following replies happen:

1. "Thats bad a-s man. Have any more drawing I can see?" And I hand them my folder; or

2. "This does sound interesting, tell some more about this 'demon-gas'."

You can guess which of the two is usually done. And btw, I tend to due this with other stuff as well, usually with Star Wars, Middle-Earth, Elder Scrolls and even history (Romans tell such interesting/dramatic stories).

Edited by Iaredios
  • Upvote 4

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

It's from a modern Danish mythology, it's pretty interesting.

Never thought of it that way. I think I'll use that too.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Atleast no one has suffered Makooti the Bionic Man. :P

• Upvote 2

I have tried many times to explain this to people and have failed... sorta? Idk. Anyway, I think this video pretty much sums it up simply and semi-efficiently (lol not really):

Show it to whoever and answer the many, many questions which will follow :P

Edited by Kuurai
  • Upvote 1

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"
— Vezon to Tridax, Destiny War

Greatest non-official video about a LEGO product(-line)/series ever.

& he can replace every voice actor I've ever heard minus less than a dozen.

I've never started with that video before ... but it's so tempting!

I would feel bad for plot consolideathation, oh but the questions that would arise from that as an introduction... :D

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Greatest non-official video about a LEGO product(-line)/series ever.

& he can replace every voice actor I've ever heard minus less than a dozen.

I've never started with that video before ... but it's so tempting!

I would feel bad for plot consolideathation, oh but the questions that would arise from that as an introduction... :D

Yarr SPIRIT is one of the best Bionicle comedians. I miss having him around - he wrote and recorded some of the funniest stuff. 

Anyway, I haven't had anyone who I feel comfortable sharing Bionicle with IRL anymore enough to teach them about the story. If my little brother counts, back in the day I actually succeeded...but that was in 2006 or so, and it was more of a mutual teaching experience. :P We tried to teach our parents, but my mom promptly forgot all of it and my dad kept pointing to Makuta faces and saying that was what he felt like today.  

Yarr SPIRIT is one of the best Bionicle comedians. I miss having him around - he wrote and recorded some of the funniest stuff.

I was just thinking about his animations last night, too! The "Rhotuka of Chariots of Fire"! :superfunny:

I wouldn't use any of his stuff to introduce new BIONICLE fans to the franchise, but it was definitely very enjoyable for those of us who already knew the mythology, as well as some of the silly mini-memes the fandom generated over the years.

Ah, yes, explaining Bionicle to other people.

"Hello, let me tell you about Bionicle. Here's you'r companion guide." *the thud of a large volume of paper being dropped on a desk* "In there, you'll find a quick description of every major character, along with a complete glossary of terms. I encourage you to check it for anything that confuses you as I explain. Now, where do I start? Do I start with the Core War, with the construction of the Great Spirit Robot, with Metru Nui, or with Mata Nui?" *sound of fluttering pages of the guidebook* "Ah, good, since you've already got that open, why don't you start looking into some of the side serials while I consider how to best get you in on the main story? You'll need them to completely understand the main story, anyway." *sound of book slamming shut* "Hey, where are you going? I was going to tell you about Bionicle!"

Lol so true

I tried teaching my mom once. The results:

Makuta is named the "Moohahahahaha" (after his laugh in the last Bohrok Kal animation)

Tahu is an octopus

Bionicle is pronounced BAINONICLE (バインオニクル)

-NotS

Tahu is an octopus? An octopus? What? How...

I have, yes. I used to drive people away with it (even once lost a potential date due to my habit of nerding out). Then (for personal reasons) I learned quite a bit about Christian apologetics over the course of half of a year. Being the shy person that I am, I never used it publicly unless a question had been asked, using the teachings to better myself.

Now, talking about science-fantasy genres is much easier (and generally less sensitive) then apologetics, so when I draw a Toa or a Makuta and people ask as to what it is, I use some of the skills I learned from Mr. John Lennox, and I give them a basic answer:

"Awh man, sic drawing man! What is that exactly?"

"it is a demonic gas inside of a shapeshifting suit of armor. His name is Teridax, and he controls shadows and god-like powers. ...Its from a modern Danish mythology, its pretty interesting."

Either of the following replies happen:

1. "Thats bad a-s man. Have any more drawing I can see?" And I hand them my folder; or

2. "This does sound interesting, tell some more about this 'demon-gas'."

You can guess which of the two is usually done. And btw, I tend to due this with other stuff as well, usually with Star Wars, Middle-Earth, Elder Scrolls and even history (Romans tell such interesting/dramatic stories).

Genius. Beats comparing it to WH40K.