Discontinued themes thread.

masterchirox580

I miss a lot of the early-mid 90s Castle sets - Wolfpack, Dragon Masters, Royal Knights, and Dark Forest. (Fright Knights still looks pretty dire, though.) There was something 'wild' about their aesthetic that later Castle sets haven't recreated. Whilst I've never been a big Space fan, themes like Ice Planet and the original Space Police were also bright and otherworldly, as were the Aquazone and Divers sets. Paradisa sets had a lovely fun in the sun feel.

Aquazone, so very much. It was the first theme I really got into as a kid (I think I was maybe 7 or 8 when the Hydronauts vs. Stingrays sub-theme came out, which was my big love). It was also the first theme I collected in its entirety, though I missed the first sub-theme of Aquanauts vs. Aquasharks (currently trying to track them all down, though). Man I loved those sets. Especially the big Hydronaut base which to this day sits fondly displayed on my shelf.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

RoboRiders, too. Still hoping LEGO takes that idea somewhere in the future.

...kids couldn't relate to the bikes as characters — they were too abstract....

But six years later,Pixar's Cars was released and became popular.I guess LEGO was ahead of their time with Roboriders  :P

That aside,I liked Power Miners.HF was OK while it lasted,at least for parts.

• Upvote 1

But six years later,Pixar's Cars was released and became popular.I guess LEGO was ahead of their time with Roboriders  :P

Pixar's Cars is a really different story, since the characters in that have expressive faces, not just severe robotic eyes and expressionless visors. If the LEGO Group came up with, say, a series of Mixels with wheels instead of legs and arms, I think that could potentially be a lot more successful than the Roboriders were. Though the lack of posability might still be a drawback.

• Upvote 1

Pixar's Cars is a really different story, since the characters in that have expressive faces, not just severe robotic eyes and expressionless visors. If the LEGO Group came up with, say, a series of Mixels with wheels instead of legs and arms, I think that could potentially be a lot more successful than the Roboriders were. Though the lack of posability might still be a drawback.

It would definitely be a drawback.

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Galidor, Knights Kingdom, Slizers, G1 BIONICLE

All were in my childhood at some point :)

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.

My favorites were the original LEGO Arctic, which came out back in the late 90's. I never got any when they out, but I finally bought some of them a few years ago and they're pretty fun.

I also like the Aqua Raider although I only have the smaller sets since I didn't have a lot of money at that point. Dino Attack was also pretty fun. My brothers and I purchased the crawler tank together.

signoff2.png

My favorites were the original LEGO Arctic, which came out back in the late 90's. I never got any when they out, but I finally bought some of them a few years ago and they're pretty fun.

Did you see last year's Lego City Arctic subtheme? Just wondering. I'd consider it a pretty respectable update of the classic theme.

Speaking of discontinued themes and cold weather, the Super Heroes set Black Manta's Deep Sea Strike (new this year) includes the "helicopter windscreen" used in last year's Hero Factory mechs, but this time in Tr. Fl. Reddish Orange. That's just BEGGING to be used in an updated Ice Planet theme (Ice Planet 2022?).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Lego sports themes in general. Haven't seen a single set like that in years--really want something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Sports-3433-NBA-Ultimate-Arena-Basketball-Rare-2003-/201263979733?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2edc449cd5 to be brought back, albeit with a more better looking elements.

That thing had a lot of play-value.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Lego sports themes in general. Haven't seen a single set like that in years--really want something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Sports-3433-NBA-Ultimate-Arena-Basketball-Rare-2003-/201263979733?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2edc449cd5 to be brought back, albeit with a more better looking elements.

Sorry, I know I've already quoted you on this, but I just want to say that I completely agree with you. I love basketball (I play in the park all year except for winter). I have the soccer one but this one would mean more to me because I looked at the old Lego magazine and I know all the basketball players they sold.

Right now I'm saving up for one. I have some unopened sets that are selling for $70> so I'll get it soon

One of my all time favorite themes apart from BIONICLE is Aqua Raiders that was a great theme and I wish they would bring something like that back, there havent been any underwater based themes since then really apart from Atlantis, which was a good theme itself I must say, but there was just something about Aqua Raiders which I really enjoyed and made me collect all the sets except for one :)

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Lego sports themes in general. Haven't seen a single set like that in years--really want something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Sports-3433-NBA-Ultimate-Arena-Basketball-Rare-2003-/201263979733?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2edc449cd5 to be brought back, albeit with a more better looking elements.

Sorry, I know I've already quoted you on this, but I just want to say that I completely agree with you. I love basketball (I play in the park all year except for winter). I have the soccer one but this one would mean more to me because I looked at the old Lego magazine and I know all the basketball players they sold.

Right now I'm saving up for one. I have some unopened sets that are selling for $70> so I'll get it soon

I myself would like to purchase some of those sets but sadly, they're really freaking expensive given the fact that they're NBA collectibles. The Ultimate NBA Area set I posted earlier goes for around $400 alone used, even though it doesn't have that many pieces. And the smaller court sets and the 'mini-fig'packs are going for around 70-80$.

Edit: Welp, it turns out that the Area is going for around 100$ on Ebay. Still pretty expensive for such a set.

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg