Real-Time Mafia

Toarobot18

REAL-TIME MAFIA

Welcome to Sunnitopia, that bright, cheerful land which lies somewhere in the Matoran Universe! Really, I'd love to give you more specific directions than that, but seeing as I've never lived anywhere else, that would be difficult. Besides, you seem to have arrived here just fine!

So, you're a toa, eh? I've heard about your heroism, but honestly, I think you came to the wrong spot! See, we don't really have much of that violence which desolates other places. Nope! It's just not the sort of problem we have to deal with. Sunnitopia is a land of peace and order and always will be.

I know what you're thinking. Naive! Inexperienced! Misinformed! Wrong on all accounts. The thing is—and my friends from other places can attest to this fact—when evil strikes, it strikes at night. True, the makutahunts that follow can lead to many deaths in the day, but the real darkness, the real evil at the root of it all, that evil only strikes at night. And see, we here in Sunnitopia don't have any nights!

No, really. Pretty neat, eh?

RULES

Besides the rules below, please:

1. Do not use screenshots/videos/other forms of evidence that are not conveyed via writing.

2. Play for your team and to win.

DEATH

Death By Killing

The Servants of Makuta or the Dark Hunter may attempt to attack and kill any player at any time, provided that forty-eight hours have passed since they last made an attempt. When I have received a decision to attack a player, as soon as I have a chance, I will post a short narrative in the topic reporting the attempted killing or death, and if the attacked player did die, his role. The player's death is effective from the time I make that post. This narrative will not contain any clues.

Death By Lynching

One player may be lynched per “Day.” A Day lasts no longer than forty-eight hours. Players may switch their vote only once, and should make their vote obvious by placing it in bold or all caps.

Whenever a player holds the votes of a majority of the players left alive, he is immediately lynched. In other words, his lynching and death is immediately effective with the vote that takes the tally in his name to a number greater than half the remaining players, and once that vote has been cast, it is too late to save the lynched player. You may null by voting for “Nobody.”

If no player has received the votes of a majority after forty-eight hours, then the player who holds the most votes is immediately lynched. If there is a tie between two or more players, Nobody is lynched.

Once a player has been lynched, the next Day begins immediately, whether or not the results of the lynching have been posted yet, and players may begin voting on the next lynching.

- If a player is killed during the voting, then his vote no longer counts.

- If a player is killed during the voting and had votes cast for him, those votes are considered no longer cast. Those who voted for the player who died may vote for someone else without using their single vote switch (but if they have already used their switch [to switch to the player who just died], they still may not switch again).

- If the death of a player during voting causes someone to have a majority of the remaining players voting for him, that someone will be immediately lynched as if he had just obtained a majority of the votes in the usual way.

When a player dies, he is completely dead for all aspects of the game! He may not assist the Servants of Makuta, Dark Hunter, Turaga, Toa, or Matoran in any way, shape, or form, and should refrain from posting in the topic until the game is over if he would be tempted to do so. However, any chatting or conversation in the topic unlikely to affect the outcome of the game is perfectly fine. Additionally, while this is obviously unenforceable, I would like to request that dead players refrain from assisting any side in personal messages either. The intent of this rule is to add an additional aspect of strategy to the decisions regarding which players to kill or lynch.

ROLES

Servants of Makuta (4)

The Servants of Makuta may attempt to kill a player at any time, as long as it has been forty-eight hours since they last did so. They will collectively decide these kills via personal messages. All the Servants of Evil win if the game ends with only Servants of Evil remaining alive.

Dark Hunter (1)

The Dark Hunter may attempt to kill a player at any time, by sending me a personal message, as long as it has been forty-eight hours since he last did so. The Dark Hunter wins if he is the only player alive at the end of the game, or if all the players die.

Turaga (1)

The Turaga may investigate a player at any time, by sending me a personal message, as long as it has been forty-eight hours since he last did so. The investigation will reveal whether the investigated player is evil (Servants of Makuta, Dark Hunter) or not, but nothing else. The Turaga wins if the game ends with a Turaga, Toa, or Matoran still alive.

Toa (1)

The Toa may choose to protect a player at any time, by sending me a personal message, as long as it has been forty-eight hours since he last did so. The protection lasts from the time the message was sent to me until forty-eight hours later*, during which any attempts to kill that player by the Servants of Makuta or the Dark Hunter will fail. If the Toa is killed while he is providing protection, that protection instantly ceases. The Toa wins if the game ends with a Turaga, Toa, or Matoran still alive.

*While a player does not die from an attack until I announce his death in the topic, and until then may carry out all his actions, the attack itself takes place whenever the decision to do so is sent to me. Therefore, if the Servants of Makuta told me they wanted to kill Onepu at 3:00 p.m., and the Toa chose to protect Onepu at 4:00 p.m., Onepu would still die from the attack if I made the announcement at 5:00. However, if someone under the Toa's protection dies, for this reason or due to a lynching, before the forty-eight hour protection period has ended, the Toa may immediately choose a new person to protect instead of being required to wait the usual forty-eight hours.

Matoran (13)

The Matoran are your typical villagers, and have no special abilities. If you do not receive a role message, you are a Matoran. All the Matoran win if the game ends with a Turaga, Toa, or Matoran still alive.

PLAYER LIST

2427135. Makuta Luroka

2. Chro

3. Fairy Paladin

4. Doorman *

5. Valendale *

6. Underscore

7. -Toa Lhikevikk- *

8. Kohrak Kal17 *

9. Seaborgium *

11. Pulsating Cheddar

17. Gengar

18. JAG18

23. Tyler Durden

Edited by Toarobot18
  • Upvote 4

nban.jpg

Credit to Zeddy! ------------------- Click the banner above!

And please also enjoy my other fine comedies:

The Bionicle Entrepreneur - Nuva Join the Navy - Toy Wars - A Comedy of Comics

I'm sorry for putting in my oar, but this hasn't been approved in the Mafia Discussion Topic. Of course, no one died and made me moderator, and unlike a certain other unapproved game, it seems clear that folks intend to play this seriously.  But nonetheless, I think it is important that we have some sort of vetting process. It's part of the reason that BZP Mafia has thrived for so long.

• Upvote 3

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

But the BZP Mafia Discussion topic doesn't just apply to the numbered games. It isn't called the Numbered Series discussion. Generally people, as of now, would prefer games not to pop out of nowhere, since I believe the general consensus is that we had far too many games at once recently. To just ignore it and then post your own... I'd assume that's not going to go down well with some people.

• Upvote 2

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

Until recently, the mafia discussion topic did not exist. I also recently returned to this forum. I've been around through all three generations of mafia and have seen many creative side games appear out of nowhere. If a new Games & Trivia rule was established while I was absent requiring prior approval (by whom?) for mafia side games in the mafia discussion topic, I apologize. If that is not the case, then the only consquence of my creating yet another mafia game (as opposted to say, BZBattles 2) will be my failure to get twenty players.

nban.jpg

I'm sorry for putting in my oar, but this hasn't been approved in the Mafia Discussion Topic. Of course, no one died and made me moderator, and unlike a certain other unapproved game, it seems clear that folks intend to play this seriously.  But nonetheless, I think it is important that we have some sort of vetting process. It's part of the reason that BZP Mafia has thrived for so long.

This is not a part of the numbered Bionicle Mafia series, but rather a side game, partially experimental, which I have started of my own accord.

But the BZP Mafia Discussion topic doesn't just apply to the numbered games. It isn't called the Numbered Series discussion. Generally people, as of now, would prefer games not to pop out of nowhere, since I believe the general consensus is that we had far too many games at once recently. To just ignore it and then post your own... I'd assume that's not going to go down well with some people.

Until recently, the mafia discussion topic did not exist. I also recently returned to this forum. I've been around through all three generations of mafia and have seen many creative side games appear out of nowhere. If a new Games & Trivia rule was established while I was absent requiring prior approval (by whom?) for mafia side games in the mafia discussion topic, I apologize. If that is not the case, then the only consquence of my creating yet another mafia game (as opposted to say, BZBattles 2) will be my failure to get twenty players.

Quisoves and Pulse are correct - we've recently had far too many Mafia games on at once (and it has happened at least twice in the past year alone), and as such have come to a consensus that new games should not just "pop out of nowhere". While that is how it was done in earlier years, we simply have too many players that want to host now - and we do not have the player base to sustain more than two (sometimes, very rarely, three if the third is small) games at once.

The Mafia Discussion topic was created as a sort of "hub" for Mafia; to provide an easy, go-to location to suggest ideas, discuss prior games, and to check in and see if a new game would work. There are members (Underscore in particular comes to mind) that have been waiting for a couple months now to host a game. While setting limits on everything is not a good thing at all, setting a limit to the number of Mafia games at one time is necessary, because otherwise activity suffers, since players then have to start dividing their attentions between three or more games.

The "approval" bit has been in place with Mafia since at least August/September of 2013, where members would ask the other players if they could host the next game - and if the game sounds interesting, or there's a slot available, then the players generally tend to say "go for it!". The Mafia Discussion topic merely provides a central location for this to occur, and to ignore that process is to jump ahead in the line, forcing other members who might have made their interest in hosting known earlier to have to wait even longer. Is it an official BZPower rule that you must ask for approval? No. But it has become something of a common courtesy.

• Upvote 4

If joining this game would require a player to devote less attention to games he is already in, he is encouraged not to join this game. If indeed the forum is not large enough to support another game, then this game will fail to reach the requisite number of players, as many of my previous experimental concepts have. I fail to see the distinction between the creation of an experimental "mafia" game, especially a game this different from the usual "mafia" games, and the creation of any other type of game.

As far as the approval process existing since August/September 2013, I have observed discussion of interest in game concepts at the end of game topics, but never an approval process for anything but the numbered series. In any case, if the members of this forum are not interested in the game or believe that there is not a "slot" available, then the surest way for them to express that view is by not joining the game. By failing to bring up the game in the discussion topic first, I failed to check in advance how much interest there would be in the community, but this does not prevent that community from voting with their feet. Should another concept be posted, which did go through the informal process that you believe is required, I presume you and others abiding by that process will prioritize that game.

However, I think it is unfair to reprimand me for failing to follow an informal procedure, an informal procedure which I was not aware of and which is not required by the forum rules. I have created a new game in accordance with those rules. Take it or leave it.

nban.jpg

Thank you. If, as is quite possible, I fail to get twenty players, then this game will serve as a perfect example to other potential hosts on why they should, despite it not being technically required, visit the discussion topic and get their game "approved" in advance, in order to ensure their game succeeds in this forum. Which is fine with me and quite in keeping with the beloved freedom of association.

nban.jpg

It is evident this game will, indeed, fail to reach twenty players.

we do not have the player base to sustain more than two (sometimes, very rarely, three if the third is small) games at once.

I would be willing to host a miniature version of this game for the ten players that signed up (obviously with reduced Makuta and Matoran numbers) to test out the concept. However, given that these ten players signed up before it was clear that this game had not been endorsed in advance by the members in the BZP Mafia Discussion topic, I think it is conceivable that not all of the players that are currently signed up would still be interested in playing even a short, scaled-down version of the game.

If the players signed up express interest here in my still hosting this game as described, I will do so. Otherwise, to allow me to still test out the concept during my college break while I have the time, I plan to give the game a new, non-Bionicle/Lego theme, possibly reduce the size of player list a bit, and try out my idea in the Completely Off Topic forum.

nban.jpg

Welcome back, Lhikevikk! I've only had one currently registed player message me that they are still interested in playing a miniature version of this game, but even the mini version would require more than two players. As I mentioned before, I may still try a similar game out in the other forum, but otherwise you'll probably have to wait for the next pre-endorsed side game to come out. It looks like there is someone interested in hosting that game, so it shouldn't be too long.

nban.jpg

I would cut down the number of Servants of Makuta and Matoran significantly, probably remove the Dark Hunter, and possibly take out either the Turaga or the Toa, though I would like to keep both of them if numbers permit. Otherwise, it would work the same.

Assuming this dies, and I don't restart the full version in C.O.T. (I'm leaning against it) before my break ends, I may still be able to do a mini game during my term since the burden would be lighter. I'll post in the discussion topic and check for interest when the time comes.

nban.jpg

You are signed up. Note, however, that barring at least four more players joining or four more original players communicating their interest in a mini game, this game will probably be canceled. Stay tuned to the Games & Trivia forum for the next mafia game to be posted.

nban.jpg