Technic and Bionicle Should Get Back Together

aldero

Hello there! 

Remember the days when the Technic and Bionicle themes were inseparable? Back in 2001, the original Bionicle line was actually sold under the Technic theme, with Bionicle being a subtitle, if you will. They have had a pretty close relationship, but this relationship started to meet some bumpy roads after 2004. In the years before 2005, every Bionicle set had a bit of Technic in it, and Technic gave the sets a gear function and more playability. Following the Visorak, however, no gear functions were present in the sets. This was the same case for the Rahaga. Technic and Bionicle probably broke up in late 2006, when the Piraka, Toa Inika, Titans, and pretty much every other set had absolutely no gear or Technic functions. This continued all the way into Bionicle's end. This is an unfortunate thing, as Bionicle has it's roots in the Technic line, and was what made it unique. It was a shame we didn't see many other sets with Technic functions after 2005.

But fast foward five years, and Technic and Bionicle have gotten back together. YES! This new line is paying homage to it's predecessor, and that is a great thing. With this great news, I am going to explain why this should continue for the foreseeable future.

1: It makes the Titan sets more awesome.

Remember the awesome functions of the Titan sets in Bionicle's earlier days? Like how the Bahrag's heads lunge forward, how the Tarakava throw punches, or how Nivawk spread his wings? Like the smaller sets, the Titan sets started to have less functions. They were still awesome, don't get me wrong, but I would like to see some functions return. Not only that, but you can have some very nice looking sets. During Hero Factory's run, the Titan sets we got weren't very well designed and looked a bit flimsy. One set in particular that I got was Fire Lord, and he only had a sprinkle of Technic pieces, and his legs were made of limbs. It made him look slightly weak, and it left him looking gappy (Witch Doctor is an exception, he had pistons in his legs and was a great set, that's why I got him). When Titan sets have Technic parts in them, they look more biomechanical and less gappy. Looking at the tiny pistons and functions in a Titan's leg looks much better than a bunch of limbs.

2: It looks more biomechanical and is more MOC-friendly.

I briefly went over how adding Technic parts makes a set look more biomechanical, so I won't go over it as much. But on the other hand, adding Technic parts to a set makes it more MOC-friendly. On occasions I've tried to build some MOCS with the Hero Factory build only, without the Technic parts, and it is actually harder than using the Bionicle/Technic system. The Ultrabuild system seems to restrict you to these large, clunky pieces, and it really isn't easy to add in some small little touches. In future, the new sets should integrate some more Technic pieces to... complete the look, if you will. 

Well. This little discussion was rather short. I made this list in 15 minutes or something, so forgive the lack of material in this. I don't have much to say anyway, so what do you think? 

• Upvote 2

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

CCBS + Technic = win. 

FTR though Technic works best when you need something solid and stable, whereas CCBS provides flexibility. It's a rough and somewhat conflicting union, but you need technic for limbs that don't fall apart at larger scales, and CCBS so they can bend. Plus also gear functions and vehicles. 

For me this was wat put Bionicle on top of any LEGO line, I loved so much just the aesthetic that the Technic theme granted, add to that the functionality and BAM! It was beautiful.

Yes, I'd love to see Bionicle turning back to the Technic theme but I don't think it will happen because money and stuff...

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

Keetongu. 

We need more figures designed like Keetongu. That one set is the only one that stands out in my memory as the perfect blend between Technic and the rest of BIONICLE. Mostly pose-able limbs, with a brilliant Technic-based torso that allowed for the function of opening his chest to reveal a fully-operational rhotuka launcher.

Keetongu. 'Nuff said.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

You're operating from the assumption that BIONICLE and Technic are considerably more detached than they were in classic BIONICLE. And I don't think there's any reason to think that's the case. The Lord of Skull Spiders is still almost entirely a traditional Technic build, using CCBS shells only as decoration. The weapons of many of the Toa and Protectors are very technically intricate, with some using more than 20 pieces in their assembly. And besides that, CCBS connection styles like the ball, ball cup, and ball snap are still, at their core, Technic connection points.

The new BIONICLE is not branded as Technic, nor was classic BIONICLE after around 2004. It's more a branding thing than anything else, since Technic has returned to a much more adult "image" than what it had in the late 90s and early naughts, when a lot of sets like the Competition and Speed Slammers sets were unambiguously geared towards action play. BIONICLE and Hero Factory still belong to the Technic "family", just like Mindstorms — which is not branded as Technic these days either.

As for the CCBS being "MOC-friendly", I have a few points to make. One is of course that there is a learning curve, as with any building system. You can't expect to jump right into it and start making amazing creations if you haven't dedicated yourself to experimenting with what the system is capable of. But the other is that there is no obligation to completely omit Technic from the CCBS. Many of the best CCBS sets still use Technic parts where necessary, just like many LEGO System sets use Technic to add structure and functionality. Some sets like Lord of Skull Spiders, Jet Rocka, Speeda Demon, Evo XL Machine, Dragon Bolt, Breez Flea Machine, and Witch Doctor use Technic extensively.

This MOC of mine is mostly CCBS, but still uses some Technic pins, cross axles, and beams in the construction of the legs and torso. Larger CCBS beams include Technic pin holes for a reason — it was never intended to completely exclude Technic building styles. It simply doesn't rely on Technic pins for functions as simple as adding shells to a beam, which works to its advantage since a single ball allows you to attach shells of any shape or size to a model at more angles than a single pin hole could ever allow.

That MOC is also an example of how a CCBS titan model doesn't have to look gappy or like "a bunch of limbs" by any means, even if it relies almost entirely on CCBS beams and shells for shaping. And I don't know entirely what you mean about models looking "more biomechanical" when built purely with Technic. More mechanical in some cases, maybe. But the "bio" aspect is no more evident on Technic-based titans than on CCBS-based ones, unless they use parts with explicitly organic shapes like Nocturn's faceplate and spines.

• Upvote 2

But they are getting back together.

Aanchir, I think Stormer XL is a good example of how CCBS really isn't suited towards building titan-sized sets by itself. Even your MOC, as you said, uses some Technic elements to achieve that look. I mean,I'm open to counter-examples, but I can't really think of any right now.

Aanchir, I think Stormer XL is a good example of how CCBS really isn't suited towards building titan-sized sets by itself. Even your MOC, as you said, uses some Technic elements to achieve that look. I mean,I'm open to counter-examples, but I can't really think of any right now.

Again, I don't see why "by itself" should be the operative term. Even the first CCBS titan set, Fire Lord, used plenty of Technic. Technic has never completely disappeared from CCBS sets and probably never will — the CCBS was designed with the possibility of Technic integration in mind.

• Upvote 4

What counts as Technic these days?

As far as PARTS are concerned, about the same as what always has. Parts with pins and pin holes, axles and axle holes, Ø10.2mm balls and Ø10.2mm ball cups.

As far as SETS are concerned, mainly just those with Technic branding on the box, which these days mainly include realistic vehicles. Mindstorms robotics kits and constraction sets like those from the BIONICLE, Hero Factory, and Legends of Chima themes are treated as separate entities, as they have been since around 2004.

• Upvote 2

I thought that Bionicle 2015 was actually going to be part of Technic because on one of the photos that Lego released of Ekimu's head it said "Technic" in the top right corner.

Yes, because as I mentioned above, BIONICLE and Hero Factory parts still qualify as Technic parts as far as the LEGO Group's internal development process is concerned. They're still in the LEGO Technic family of themes. It's just not branded as Technic when the sets are released to the public.

• Upvote 2

I thought that Bionicle 2015 was actually going to be part of Technic because on one of the photos that Lego released of Ekimu's head it said "Technic" in the top right corner.

That's probably because it was a design document—and while Bionicle and Mindstorms may no longer have the Technic branding, the part designs are still Technic-based and as such are typically going to go through Technic designers.

EDIT: Dangit, again? That's like three times in the past 24 hours! :P

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Again, I don't see why "by itself" should be the operative term. Even the first CCBS titan set, Fire Lord, used plenty of Technic. Technic has never completely disappeared from CCBS sets and probably never will — the CCBS was designed with the possibility of Technic integration in mind.

Well, it's not, so I guess we agree!

I often find the results funny when they willingly stick to CCBS though, like the loops in Scorpio's build for example.

• 6 months later...

Hello there! 

Remember the days when the Technic and Bionicle themes were inseparable? Back in 2001, the original Bionicle line was actually sold under the Technic theme, with Bionicle being a subtitle, if you will. They have had a pretty close relationship, but this relationship started to meet some bumpy roads after 2004. In the years before 2005, every Bionicle set had a bit of Technic in it, and Technic gave the sets a gear function and more playability. Following the Visorak, however, no gear functions were present in the sets. This was the same case for the Rahaga. Technic and Bionicle probably broke up in late 2006, when the Piraka, Toa Inika, Titans, and pretty much every other set had absolutely no gear or Technic functions. This continued all the way into Bionicle's end. This is an unfortunate thing, as Bionicle has it's roots in the Technic line, and was what made it unique. It was a shame we didn't see many other sets with Technic functions after 2005.

But fast foward five years, and Technic and Bionicle have gotten back together. YES! This new line is paying homage to it's predecessor, and that is a great thing. With this great news, I am going to explain why this should continue for the foreseeable future.

Remember the awesome functions of the Titan sets in Bionicle's earlier days? Like how the Bahrag's heads lunge forward, how the Tarakava throw punches, or how Nivawk spread his wings? Like the smaller sets, the Titan sets started to have less functions. They were still awesome, don't get me wrong, but I would like to see some functions return. Not only that, but you can have some very nice looking sets. During Hero Factory's run, the Titan sets we got weren't very well designed and looked a bit flimsy. One set in particular that I got was Fire Lord, and he only had a sprinkle of Technic pieces, and his legs were made of limbs. It made him look slightly weak, and it left him looking gappy (Witch Doctor is an exception, he had pistons in his legs and was a great set, that's why I got him). When Titan sets have Technic parts in them, they look more biomechanical and less gappy. Looking at the tiny pistons and functions in a Titan's leg looks much better than a bunch of limbs.

I briefly went over how adding Technic parts makes a set look more biomechanical, so I won't go over it as much. But on the other hand, adding Technic parts to a set makes it more MOC-friendly. On occasions I've tried to build some MOCS with the Hero Factory build only, without the Technic parts, and it is actually harder than using the Bionicle/Technic system. The Ultrabuild system seems to restrict you to these large, clunky pieces, and it really isn't easy to add in some small little touches. In future, the new sets should integrate some more Technic pieces to... complete the look, if you will. 

Well. This little discussion was rather short. I made this list in 15 minutes or something, so forgive the lack of material in this. I don't have much to say anyway, so what do you think? 

I completely agree. Technic is one of my all time favorites(albeit, very expensive nowadays), and it is a very satisfying system to use. The sets today don't have much Technic involved, besides the Lord of Skull Spiders. I'd like the system to return. To me, the friction gears don't have the same satisfication as the older ones. Technic in general is falling off. The sets are pretty expensive, and I can't find many if them in stores.

Still hoping on vehicles for Bionicle Generation 2. Anyone else want those?

Hello there! 

I completely agree. Technic is one of my all time favorites(albeit, very expensive nowadays), and it is a very satisfying system to use. The sets today don't have much Technic involved, besides the Lord of Skull Spiders. I'd like the system to return. To me, the friction gears don't have the same satisfication as the older ones. Technic in general is falling off. The sets are pretty expensive, and I can't find many if them in stores.

• Upvote 1

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

It might be just me, but Technic Bionicle always had a special 'feeling' when building the sets. CCBS Bionicle just feels wonky and...Odd.

nos·tal·gia
näˈstaljə,nəˈstaljə/
noun

a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
"I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college"

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

Please check the date of the last post before replying! If it's been over two months, posting will revive the topic.

Revived topic closed, though it may be interesting to start a new one and to see people's thoughts for the summer stuff.

• Upvote 1